PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Solution to Slowdown?

STRANG
Aug 29, 2008, 09:23 PM
I know theres another thread and maybe this was mentioned, but i dont feel like reading eveyone elses bullshit. So while you are running and lagging just toggle your camera to the ground (LOOK DOWN). And there it is, the long awaited fix we"ve been looking for. Try it, it really works.

McLaughlin
Aug 29, 2008, 09:28 PM
That doesn't fix robot slowdown and isn't practical when fighting. Not much of a solution.

STRANG
Aug 29, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thats all we got for now take it or leave it. Its about as practical as turnin the damn box off and on every run. you got somethin better?

DavidNel
Aug 29, 2008, 09:36 PM
Circle jerk?

McLaughlin
Aug 29, 2008, 09:37 PM
Avoiding those missions seems to be working pretty well. GBR doesn't affect boss boxes anyway.

Raveno
Aug 29, 2008, 10:55 PM
I just got the expansion today, and earlier it was doing fine, now its all frickin sloow, its never been slow like this until now, (all throughout the nonexpansion game was fine, is this an expansion thing? harddrive?)

how long has this been going on?? is this going to be fixed? i'm not paying for a game that I have to restart after every mission:rant:

wtf

is this when you only run certain missions? like sacred stream?

Alterin
Aug 29, 2008, 11:22 PM
Certain missions are affected more than others.

Brainwrecked
Aug 30, 2008, 03:17 AM
Thats all we got for now take it or leave it. Its about as practical as turnin the damn box off and on every run. you got somethin better?

You just have to exit to the dashboard. Simple as pressing the big green X button (to bring up the blade), press Y (Exit To Dashboard), press Up (to Select Yes), press A (to confirm). Hypervisor unloads all game data from RAM, including the memory PSU had been leaking.

HyperShot-X-
Aug 30, 2008, 02:19 PM
Actually did some test runs myself to confirm the dashboard trick and YES indeed, it works for me. You DO NOT have to reboot your box or do that fancy cache clearing trick to clear the slow down.

Guess what else I found out? I did 4 runs straight thru Sacred Stream, no slow down until the 4th map with the blue robot spawn, Bysha type-Otsu32 (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/../beastiary/psu/1/21/bysha_type_otsu32/) so, I'm pretty sure this particular enemy is the actual cause of slow down bug.

Now, there has been only 3 known map variants so far for Sacred Stream (http://psupedia.info/Sacred_Stream) on psupedia (there could be more that has not been complied yet, i know, possibly upto 12 total), the one with blue robot spawn I ran thru was pattern A-2, Initial spawn: Armed Servant (Basta) x4 on block 1, those are the ones attacking with spears in lightning element.

It's better to just abort the mission as soon as you spot the blue robot spawning.
This also throws out the theory that no slow down on the 1st run thru SS off fresh boot always, it's all pure chance for getting the map with blue robot spawn.

There are only 2 blocks in SS and you can solo thru it in no time in low lvled mission, so post your findings if any...

ST might already be aware of this issue & been working on a fix, it's just long over due & not enough ppl submit their complains to push thru the patch sooner. Well, who would really run SS when GBR is over anyways.. :/

BigshowPat
Aug 30, 2008, 04:44 PM
Nothing new here. Just look at the ground during the missions where slowdown occurs. When you get to a decent stopping point go to the Xbox Dashboard and reload PSU. That should take care of all problems.

When it happens again: rinse and repeat.

chicken105
Aug 30, 2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah looking down only works for mission lag sadly. Not robot lag..

Furches
Aug 30, 2008, 05:40 PM
To fix, go to dashboard, restart psu. if that doesnt work, shutdown 360, then restart router. there robot lag is gone, if you get it again, just repeat

chicken105
Aug 30, 2008, 06:34 PM
why would you restart your router? Game error=/=Internet connectivity

Brainwrecked
Sep 1, 2008, 08:31 AM
Guess what else I found out? I did 4 runs straight thru Sacred Stream, no slow down until the 4th map with the blue robot spawn, Bysha type-Otsu32 (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/../beastiary/psu/1/21/bysha_type_otsu32/) so, I'm pretty sure this particular enemy is the actual cause of slow down bug.

Now, there has been only 3 known map variants so far for Sacred Stream (http://psupedia.info/Sacred_Stream) on psupedia (there could be more that has not been complied yet, i know, possibly upto 12 total), the one with blue robot spawn I ran thru was pattern A-2, Initial spawn: Armed Servant (Basta) x4 on block 1, those are the ones attacking with spears in lightning element.

TL;DR version for the less-technically inclined:

All robots cause it. Sega might not be resetting/clearing variables. Flowery Pursuit causes graphics lag on a slow scale. Sacred Stream causes graphics lag on a much faster scale.

Full version:

I've hit the robot lag in Military Subway, where there are nothing but green robots. This, however, was before Sega started doing something about the slowdown. I didn't say they did anything properly, but they have hit key areas like Military Subway and Ep2 Ch10. I've not had slowdown in MS or E2C10 since, but my point is that probably all robots cause this slowdown and all Sega has really done is put some "magic" code (Garbage collection? A hardware reset? Maybe resetting something in a software routine?) that fixes only a few missions.

BTW, anyone ever notice how the Shop Search function prior to these fixes always remembered your last search even when you had switched characters and would only clear upon exiting the game? When Sega fixed these missions, it turned out that Shop Search no longer remembered your prior search after switching characters. Related? Maybe. Maybe Sega's not resetting something. Maybe they're calling some code that's supposed to reset some things and it's failing, and the developers either never noticed are did not have enough time to debug.

Memory leaks can be small, but accumulate enough and you'll notice them. And that's a problem in this case -- whatever is causing this is doing so in small amount that's not noticeable at first.

I know a straight run on the GBR always makes me hit severe graphics lag some time in Sacred Stream. A trip to the dashboard prior to running Sacred Stream always allows me to run the mission graphics-lag-free. Flowery Pursuit causes it's own slowdown on a smaller scale that's only noticeable if you peruse the Neudaiz fireworks lobby both before and after running Flowery Pursuit. On that note, constantly running Flowery Pursuit produces notably slower frame rates every time, but it's nowhere near the suddenness of the robot slowdown.

Chris28
Sep 1, 2008, 08:48 AM
simple solutin.....ps2/pc

Zarode
Sep 1, 2008, 09:17 AM
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/6417/brokenxboxts8.jpg

Or, you could avoid the missions. No GBR (or anything good EVER), but then you wouldn't have the lag problems!

DarkEliteRico
Sep 1, 2008, 10:40 AM

Or, you could avoid the missions. No GBR (or anything good EVER), but then you wouldn't have the lag problems!

Looks like my first 360, 4 months after buying it when they first came out. Disc reading errors and 3 RoL, love the fact that I had to purchase another one because they didn't have extended warranties for that issue back then.

Furches
Sep 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
why would you restart your router? Game error=/=Internet connectivity

I know of some people, that when they get robot lag a certian amount of times they have to restart router or they still lag tremndously. Also robot lag is not just an in game error, robot lag starts with your 360's memory, inorder to fix it you have to reload the game, or in some serious cases restart your router. besides whats such a big problem with restarting you router, your supposed to restart router every now and then any way.

chicken105
Sep 1, 2008, 11:57 AM
simple solutin.....ps2/pc
Why would you want to down grade?

I know of some people, that when they get robot lag a certian amount of times they have to restart router or they still lag tremndously. Also robot lag is not just an in game error, robot lag starts with your 360's memory, inorder to fix it you have to reload the game, or in some serious cases restart your router. besides whats such a big problem with restarting you router, your supposed to restart router every now and then any way.
well, your friends or w/e are the 1st case out of idk how many people I played with that had to restart there router because of a game error. It's not your router anyway, slowdown only occurs when scrolling through items/PAs or in mission. Not in lobbies, sending messages or even chatting through the mic.
Why would it start with your 360's memory? That doesn't even make sense. It's a bug in the game! If it started with your 360 memory then I guess pretty much you get slowdown in any game. Explain why it only happens in PSU?

Furches
Sep 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
Why would it start with your 360's memory? That doesn't even make sense. It's a bug in the game! If it started with your 360 memory then I guess pretty much you get slowdown in any game. Explain why it only happens in PSU?

Robot slowdown start with a bug from PSU, it is a memory leakage from your 360 that causes you to slowdown and eventually freeze.

chicken105
Sep 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
Robot slowdown start with a bug from PSU, it is a memory leakage from your 360 that causes you to slowdown and eventually freeze.
i know that. You said it started from the 360 memory.
Oh and i never heard of some1 freezing. Anyone that had it freeze on them please post here. :/ I'll need at least 10 people to believe it. And how many missions afterwards you played.

neoconn
Sep 1, 2008, 02:57 PM

Memory leaks are not started by the360!!!! Memory leaks are a flaw from programming (Software). Memory leaks by definition is generally when a resource(Memory) is not allowed to be reallocated(Released) and general flaws can occur such as unnoticeable effects to crashing systems.

In the case of the memory leak in PSU the side effect is decreasing performance (Lag) and it continues to decrease in performance(More Lag) until you reset or quit.

Furches
Sep 1, 2008, 03:00 PM
i have laged out before, it happens after you get the extreme robot lag, it take about 45 mins after getting it for your 360 to freeze.

neoconn
Sep 1, 2008, 03:02 PM
i have laged out before, it happens after you get the extreme robot lag, it take about 45 mins after getting it for your 360 to freeze.

I myself have played to the point where my system "freezed" and had to be reset.

chicken105
Sep 1, 2008, 03:11 PM
Memory leaks are not started by the360!!!! Memory leaks are a flaw from programming (Software). Memory leaks by definition is generally when a resource(Memory) is not allowed to be reallocated(Released) and general flaws can occur such as unnoticeable effects to crashing systems.

In the case of the memory leak in PSU the side effect is decreasing performance (Lag) and it continues to decrease in performance(More Lag) until you reset or quit.
thank you! That's what I was trying to say. Though I didn't know about the freezing part. Myself usually I'll get robot slowdown and go to my room and go afk and come back to reset.

RemiusTA
Sep 1, 2008, 07:22 PM
its pathetic how they havent even addressed this shit.

HyperShot-X-
Sep 1, 2008, 08:34 PM

LoL, no, smashing your xbox with a hammer out of frustration is not the solution(don't try this at home, kids) nor is avoiding the whole GBR missions all togather just because you need to do 2 min. dashboard reload every once in a while before you start the GBR tour starting fm Sacred Stream.

Yeah looking down only works for mission lag sadly. Not robot lag..
this seems not entirely true, from my experience if you manage to avoid those few graphical slow down spots with the look down trick on Flowery Pursuit, it dramatically raises chance of not getting hit by slow down bug in Sacred Steam regardless of whatever map spawns even if you don't do dashboard reload prior to.
It all makes sense now, slow down in Flowery Pursuit does compound the memory leak into triggering the fatal slow down at the last block of Sacred Stream.

I know a straight run on the GBR always makes me hit severe graphics lag some time in Sacred Stream. A trip to the dashboard prior to running Sacred Stream always allows me to run the mission graphics-lag-free. Flowery Pursuit causes it's own slowdown on a smaller scale that's only noticeable if you peruse the Neudaiz fireworks lobby both before and after running Flowery Pursuit.
So then, depending on the amount of slow down you notice when you scroll thru your menus after Flowery Pursuit in Neudaz lobby, it's safer to just do dashboard reload then rejoin the party instead of taking chance at Sacred Stream where you won't find out whether slow down bug hits you or not until the last block.

chicken105
Sep 1, 2008, 09:41 PM
For looking down that's mission lag/slowdown. Not robot slowdown.
Why would the slowdown on flowery pursuit start the robot slowdown?
Robot slowdown does occur on different missions. Also there was slowdown on Sacred Stream BEFORE we got flowery pursuit. So I have no idea how you got that theory of flowery pursuit starting slowdown on Sacred Stream.

HyperShot-X-
Sep 2, 2008, 12:22 AM
For looking down that's mission lag/slowdown. Not robot slowdown.
no offense but you sound either confused or uninformed or both, the point is that using look down trick effectively on FP very likely might help to avoid robot slow down in SS if you do GBR route fm FP to SS in succession without dashboard reload in between, not that you should use look down trick in SS to remedy robot slow down there.

Why would the slowdown on flowery pursuit start the robot slowdown?
b/c out of personal experience of running GBR til now(my boost rate: 46%) and all the infos gathered up so far on this issue indicates that 9 out of 10 times you get slow down in SS when you took this GBR route: starting fm Hills of Spores-Dancing Birds-Flowery Pursuit(brings you back to the city)-Sacred Stream-White Beast. But you never get robot slow down in SS if you start GBR route from SS right after reload fm dashboard.

Robot slowdown does occur on different missions. Also there was slowdown on Sacred Stream BEFORE we got flowery pursuit. So I have no idea how you got that theory of flowery pursuit starting slowdown on Sacred Stream.
Yes, Desert Goliath, Grove of Fanatics, & other missions with robots suffer from the same symptoms if you run them repeatedly, in DG which has been ran by so many ppl extensively and all different spawn patterns mapped out completely, you can actually avoid those maps with robot slow downs. But Sacred Stream slow down just bacame apparent as a part of GBR when you run thru it, so it needs a different approach to deal with.
Flowery Pursuit is not the only mission with graphic slow down, there are others like Sakura Blast which uses the same back ground graphics as FP might as well have the exact same effect as FP if ran just before SS. FP just happens to be the mission with graphic slow down that accumulates memory leak into robot slow down in SS.
So, as dumb and unpractical as it may sound, looking down trick seems to work even more than you thought it would once you get used to it, you just won't know until you try it for yourself.

Brainwrecked
Sep 2, 2008, 04:15 AM
Why would the slowdown on flowery pursuit start the robot slowdown? I have no idea how you got that theory of flowery pursuit starting slowdown on Sacred Stream.

Because it all comes back to memory leaks. Again, run around near the COG in the Neudaiz fireworks lobby (looking away from the COG), then run a full Flowery Pursuit mission, then go back to the COG and repeat step one. The slowdown is tremendously noticeable.

Guess what? Memory leaked. Not enough to affect you inside a non-reskinned lobby or non-robot mission, but obviously something has been lost.

Now run Sacred Stream, which is rife with robots that'll wreak havok on your poor 360's memory. While you might have gotten away with a slowdown-free run if you had done a fresh boot, you now have a head-start on reaching your goal of "too much memory gone to keep frame rates up."

The 360 gives devs 512MB RAM to deal with. PSU can't utilize all 512MB all the time. No game can. This is the reason you might not notice the leakage at first -- the leaked memory just hasn't forced PSU to use a smaller amount of RAM than it wants to yet. But as the leaks pile up, eventually PSU will be crunched. And that's when you notice slowdown.

Apone
Sep 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
If you notice the robot slowdown in sacred stream does not occur until the robots stop making noise. What I mean by noise is when they slide around and make beeping sounds. All robots will make noise upon thier death but the slowdown robots make absolutely no other noise at all. Thats also probably the cause of the Memory leak/Thrashing as with each successive kill of these "silent" robots the game gets slower and slower.
When I killed just a couple and abandoned the mission I was only slightly slower than the paty I then ran with. It didn't degrade any further until I quit. But if you go off and kill all the silent robots (once you encounter the silent robots all the rest will be silent) The dip in performance is rediculous.

Brainwrecked
Sep 2, 2008, 11:28 AM
If you notice the robot slowdown in sacred stream does not occur until the robots stop making noise. What I mean by noise is when they slide around and make beeping sounds. All robots will make noise upon thier death but the slowdown robots make absolutely no other noise at all. Thats also probably the cause of the Memory leak/Thrashing as with each successive kill of these "silent" robots the game gets slower and slower.

From what I've observed is that once one robots become silent, they all become silent. That I'm sure of. Whether one particular robot starts it or not, the end result is the same.

Actually, the slowdown does start before the noise stops, but it's very minimal. You'll have to run a particular mission over and over again to grasp when the slowdown is not occurring from the special effects from other party members' PAs or double-skin lag. In SS, I've gone through one group of robots, all making sound, only to turn to go to the next spawn zone to say, "Hey, this is running a little slower than normal." Sure enough, the next big robot gang bang will make noise for one or two defeats, but stop making noise after that. From there, the slippery slowdown slope becomes a greased nigh-vertical drop.

HyperShot-X-
Sep 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
Robot going silent in SS = sign of slow down bug, now that's an interesting find which one might be able to use to their advantage depending on the situation. I would've never noticed this if you guys didn't point it out since i usually play with the volume down so low, so that I can hear voice chat better on my headset.

Depending on how soon you can spot this into the mission, maybe you could decide whether it's better to just abandon/restart the run or to stay with the party you are in until mission ends but not participate in clearing all those silent robots(or just sit out in lobby during the rest of mission without getting booted out of the party if you can manage to possibly).

If this is not the case whatsoever, then you can always just do the dashboard reload before starting SS run as the last resort which could be more safer and definitive solution to avoid robot slow down bug.

HyperShot-X-
Sep 4, 2008, 01:20 AM
I've been getting 2nd thoughts on this sound effect glitch associated with robot slow down bug,.. it might be possible that the memory overload is caused by faulty coding or conflicts on robot sound effects going thru infinite loops, not due to robot graphic textures or explosion animations. I know there was some reconfigurations and upgrades made on sound effects in general that came with AOtI update.

Could anyone from PS2/PC verion confirm if Xbox PSU is the only version that supports in game Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound? (if it is, then we could be one step closer to pin pointing the actual cause of robot slow down bug...)