PDA

View Full Version : Cable TV

Aisha379
Aug 30, 2008, 04:01 PM
Alright, so, we don't have cable TV at my house, but we went to the beach just last week, and thats the only time we ever get to watch it.

My family isn't really big on the TV thing (especially when compared to the typical American family) but it was certainly nice to see some new stuff. So, we get back from the beach and they said we might be able to get cable if I could find a nice plan.

I found one plan that, initially, seemed nice. $35 a month for 150 channels. Now, thats overkill for my family - theres really only about 10 channels we really want, period - but it seemed like a good deal.

Now, upon further investigation and closer reading, it turns out this $35 a month is an introductory offer. After a year its really $53 a month.

No wait, they also charge an additional $5 for every extra room you want it hooked up to. Okay, so thats an additional $15 because we'd want it in 4 rooms, so $68.

But no wait again, they also want a $9.99 a month "service charge", putting it at $77.99 a month, and counting taxes you might as well round it out to an even $80.

$80 a month. Being sneakily disguised as $35. For 150 channels. When we really only want 10.

That is just fucking ridiculous.

You should be able to pick exactly what channels you want, and just get a bill for those channels, and have access simply to those channels.

I know this has been debated for years, but when is someone going to actually stand up and DO IT? (And if there is a company doing this that I do not know about, please point me into that direction, thanks.)

Now I'm looking at another company here, 100 channels for $32.99 a month (maybe, haven't read the fine print yet.)

The problem with this package? Its missing one or two channels we want, and is full of sports and some of the more "adult" pay-per-view and HBO channels.

Yeah, I know, we could just ignore / block the channels we don't like or want, but thats not the point. The point is shit like this shouldn't be happening, and it wouldn't stand under any other businesses.

I mean really, imagine if restaurants were like that.

"Sorry, sir, you can't just have the fries for a dollar, you have to pay $10 and get the entire family sized combo meal - yes, I know you're eating alone, but that doesn't make a difference to us."

ARGHGIJJNGIEJGIEJRIEAA >=|

Nitro Vordex
Aug 30, 2008, 04:23 PM
Don't watch cable, I personally don't really think it's worth it.

Instead of having 10-15 channels and there's nothing on, you could get to 150+ channels, and still nothing on.

Aisha379
Aug 30, 2008, 04:34 PM
Thats beside the point, Nitro =(

EphekZ
Aug 30, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but I think every service provider does that. Even ISPs. They use a hook, which is like 20 bucks per month for unlimited internet...for the first 3 months. After that they just rape you on charges. 'Tis nothing new.

Darkly
Aug 30, 2008, 05:00 PM
i ahrdly ever watch regular tv now - i watch 4od all the time, im sure u.s has on demand services aswell?

But companies trying t trick you is nothing new, often the reality is that they will always have something to screw you over by.

Aisha379
Aug 30, 2008, 05:08 PM
Its not so much the trickery that angers me as the complete and total lack of being able to customize exactly what you want.

Kylie
Aug 30, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hiya. Welcome to the cable company. They're freaking evil.

Indica
Aug 30, 2008, 06:45 PM
Cable TV is a bunch of Bullshit. They make you pay for 300+ Channels when only less then 10 Interest me.

I just download stuff off Usenet Newsgroups and play them on my PC or Playstation 3

Shadowpawn
Aug 30, 2008, 08:27 PM
The cable industry feels a la carte cable will hurt their advertisement profits. That's why you don't see a push towards a much more logical system.

It doesn't matter to me, the Internet has so many resources that TV is almost secondary source for entertainment for me. Still, I love sit-coms. <3

amtalx
Aug 30, 2008, 09:36 PM
From a business perspective it doesn't make sense. Rolling out an infrastructure to support something like that would cost enough to push smaller cable companies in the red.

Inazuma
Sep 3, 2008, 06:59 PM
the worst part about cable tv is PAYING for ads. seriously, $80 a month so they can show you ads? what a pile of BS. i havent had cable tv since i figured out how to use the internet and never looked back. what a scam.