PDA

View Full Version : How we play the game.

flamesphere
Sep 3, 2008, 08:27 PM
I'm just a little curious about something I've seen with the way people play. I've been playing since last July and I've noticed the styles, ways of thinking, and everything else change. People seem to play less for the fun of the game, and more for the power and for showing off now. Very few people seem to run half of the older missions anymore unless its to get some rare item or something. The populous always seems fixed around things like White Beast, or they just show up for events and leave. I'd think that would suck a bit of the fun out of the game to just run the same things all the time and only care about leveling, or getting rares. Sure I've got some rare things on my own but its only due to helping out friends or from gifts. No offense to anyone out there, but it just irks me to see people only caring about rising higher, and not so much about the fun. Having fun is the true purpose of even playing a game. Anyway, I'm just curious how the rest of you think. Any comments are fine just do me a favor and don't be rude about it, okay?

Indica
Sep 3, 2008, 08:52 PM
I agree many people took the fun out of this game and I miss doing old maps.

Kylie
Sep 3, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think I play in the middle. I like to see levels rise on skills, classes, and the like; but I also like to play a variety of missions and not rely too much on events. In fact, I didn't play my main at all during MAG2 because I knew I'd regret it.

In the end, I choose to play the way I think will make me and my friends the happiest.

flamesphere
Sep 3, 2008, 09:04 PM
I do agree with that. Playing by your own rules and styles is good. If you noticed, in my signature Mazonn doesn't use buffs. So many people complain to me about it. Being a support techer just isn't my style and having people tell me I should play a certain way or I need to do this and this to be the best, it makes me not want to do it and takes the fun out of things.

Kard
Sep 3, 2008, 09:11 PM
You'll see this sort of thing in (MM)ORPGs all the time. 'Having fun' is different for everyone, but evidently most people have fun by being rewarded with material goods - especially when new shiny toys and things like extra exp are involved! With the way these games are structured, it's only possible to be outfitted with the latest and greatest attractions by keeping up with and participating in the latest and greatest missions, battles, campaigns or what-have-you repeatedly, until the low drop-rates and other grinds towards success are finally defeated. Either that, or it's just the most efficient way to go about doing so. People want things now.

:burger:

I do agree with that. Playing by your own rules and styles is good. If you noticed, in my signature Mazonn doesn't use buffs. So many people complain to me about it. Being a support techer just isn't my style and having people tell me I should play a certain way or I need to do this and this to be the best, it makes me not want to do it and takes the fun out of things.

It just so happens that playing by your own rules oftentimes does not coincide with what's 'most efficient', and, of course as a result it will be met with adversity by most of the player-base who do conform to efficiency.

I personally don't tell others how to play. I don't mind either way, since we all have the option to play or not play with whomever we want.

necman
Sep 3, 2008, 09:14 PM
I use the pa's I want and the class I want. Everyone whines cause I use the wrong spear pa. I only have chousi sou bow bullet. my ex traps are seldomly used. That axe pa is only good against bosses and not small mobs etc. They really hate when I suv and only the toilet shows up. I am not mr. speed runner. My cast is the slowest guy on Parum for doing runs I swear. But I have fun.

flamesphere
Sep 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
You'll see this sort of thing in (MM)ORPGs all the time. 'Having fun' is different for everyone, but evidently most people have fun by being rewarded with material goods - especially when new shiny toys and things like extra exp are involved! With the way these games are structured, it's only possible to be outfitted with the latest and greatest attractions by keeping up with and participating in the latest and greatest missions, battles, campaigns or what-have-you repeatedly, until the low drop-rates and other grinds towards success are finally defeated. Either that, or it's just the most efficient way to go about doing so. People want things.

That I get. To get the so called good things you absolutely have to keep trying. But my point is thats all anyone seems to do is care about getting things, and when they finally get it, theres yet another even better thing usually to replace it and it starts the cylce all over again. I mean, has running missions just for shiny things really become the be all end all of games? Couldn't it be enough just to sit down, do something for the heck of it like I am right now on an old Moatoob mission, and enjoy it? Thats what I'm trying to get at. It seems anymore that the universe is comprised of greed and nothing else unlike when I first started playing this game last year.

Ethateral
Sep 3, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm in the middle as well. Sure, I like to see growth in myself and others, but I do like to run other missions just for the hell of it. I usually am either sitting in a room full of 5 of us and we're just talking for hours on end, or we're running old school missions, while chatting away~ :P I do like to be part of the so called "Higher ups" if that's what it's called. I mean, I have worked hard on my PAs, weapons, gear, skill, and strategy. I rare hunt a lot, but I also like helping people and giving gifts. <3 So in the end, I'm in the middle ground. :P I like trying to be one of the best, but also enjoy having lots of fun in a game~ ^ ^ <3

amtalx
Sep 3, 2008, 10:00 PM
I play to crush the SEED, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of Newman women.

Kumlekar
Sep 3, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hm, maybe this should be named the White Beast syndrome. The irony is that PSU is such an easy game, that the competitive view is kinda silly.

This is found in every pve graphical MMO I've ever played with one notable exception (guild wars). Get used to it, its not going away.

Kard
Sep 3, 2008, 10:09 PM
That I get. To get the so called good things you absolutely have to keep trying. But my point is thats all anyone seems to do is care about getting things, and when they finally get it, theres yet another even better thing usually to replace it and it starts the cylce all over again. I mean, has running missions just for shiny things really become the be all end all of games? Couldn't it be enough just to sit down, do something for the heck of it like I am right now on an old Moatoob mission, and enjoy it? Thats what I'm trying to get at. It seems anymore that the universe is comprised of greed and nothing else unlike when I first started playing this game last year.

When players reach the 'end game', especially when most of the game's content has been exhausted, then things only get worse. Since it wasn't exactly hard to reach that point in PSU before practically everyone hit the level cap a while back, then all there is left to do for material gain is to run those few key missions repeatedly to finish tweaking their characters.

I understand your point exactly. I've seen so many MMO communities turn toward the playing style of high efficiency and min-maxing only, and even succumbed to it myself in a few cases. I don't think it should be surprising that it's so prevalent, though, since people generally don't like to do things (especially things that require some effort) without that all-important prospect of material gain.

It's simple and savage, but it's the way of things.

Complex_Jao
Sep 3, 2008, 10:09 PM
alot of the time i solo but thats just because im antisocial and hate the jackasses and little kids on the Xbox side

Tetsaru
Sep 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't consider myself casual or elitist, but I DO try to strive for the best things I can get for my characters. I guess "hardcore" would be a good word. :3

I feel that it's important for people to play the way that they like, but at the same time, I'll roll my eyes at the noob in the party who continues to Tornado Dance all the enemies into orbit, or who uses a low-level rifle or bow bullet at point-blank range instead of a shotgun or crossbow. Certain things like that irk me.

Finally, I have to disagree with playing old missions just for the sake of playing them. If there's nothing to gain from them except nostalgia, I usually won't want any part of them - it's just a waste of my time that I could be using trying to hoard up enough cash for that Spread Needle/G that I failed to get during MAG, etc. I've said it before - if every update had as much new loot as the Neudaiz GBR update with all the new S2 difficulty missions did, I'd be so happy, because I'd constantly have something to keep me busy. It'd be nice to see something like an S3 version of Plains Overlord or Crimson Beast, IF it had new items to obtain (gib high level Gol Dovas that drop Guld, lol). Although Lonely Laboratory was a cool new mission, it got old quickly simply because there was little to obtain from playing it.

darkante
Sep 3, 2008, 10:19 PM
How about Sega add another difficulty to all old V1 missions and rebalance them as well. So that missions without bosses might have other unique things to hunt.

That way, there is a point to actually run them and people will not just stick around in one place.
No, itīs all out universe treasure hunting.

Xefi
Sep 3, 2008, 10:22 PM
i enjoy soloing mostly in this game. I sometime played
with random party for fun as well. It's not that playing
with random party isn't fun, it's just that i ran into many
greedy people lately. I mean seriously, this one leader
just left the entire party just because a rare mission
pops up, and he/she went ahead to solo...*sigh* *facepalm* *wtheck?*

i enjoyed this game the most when i do activities with my
little brother and sister on this game because their
rares are my rares and my rares are their rares...lol. FUn.

I usually don't play this game that much either so that is
why i'm not very bore with it easily, but then again, if i
run into those greedy people too often, i'll be paranoid
and solo again... > : (

edit: most of my encountered with those greedy people are
mostly from the new Neudaiz GBR routes...how s-sh-shameful!!!

Ethateral
Sep 3, 2008, 10:22 PM
Finally, I have to disagree with playing old missions just for the sake of playing them. If there's nothing to gain from them except nostalgia, I usually won't want any part of them - it's just a waste of my time that I could be using trying to hoard up enough cash for that Spread Needle/G that I failed to get during MAG, etc. I've said it before - if every update had as much new loot as the Neudaiz GBR update with all the new S2 difficulty missions did, I'd be so happy, because I'd constantly have something to keep me busy. It'd be nice to see something like an S3 version of Plains Overlord or Crimson Beast, IF it had new items to obtain (gib high level Gol Dovas that drop Guld, lol). Although Lonely Laboratory was a cool new mission, it got old quickly simply because there was little to obtain from playing it.

I usually only want to run the older/newer missions for something that I can gain out of it. If I can? More money towards better Psychos for me. <3 It's really on the off chance anymore though that I'll want to run a mission just for the hell of it. If I want to? Then I'll rally the group up and we'll run it a few times before rare hunting again, lol. :P

GaNksTa
Sep 3, 2008, 10:51 PM
It feels as if its a job on my end; a fun job nonetheless... now all I have to do is get paid...

What I get my "high" off of in games are high class weapons. I work hard to get them, (that part isn't always fun) but the reward is more than worth it.

Also it doesn't help that I've been a fanboy for 10 years.. even if I hate it, I love it.. logic does not work in this situation.

flamesphere
Sep 3, 2008, 11:02 PM
Maybe its just me I guess. Might be the fact I actually make games, on the side mind you and no you haven't heard of any, but I think doing something just to get something out of it doesn't really make it worth going for at all, at least thats what I think. I just think the game shouldn't have to come to what its turned into once you do everything once or twice.

masterchiefg
Sep 3, 2008, 11:42 PM
I am in the middle also. When I join a random party I abide to what they ask like not using a certain pa or bullet. For the sole fact when you join a random party its like going to someones house. You abide by thier rules and if you don't like it tough. Go make your own party and set up your own rules. Make some friends to do random runs and have fun with. I have friends for all runs from the crappy WB to fast and easy True Darkness. I play for fun and profit. I do enjoy collecting all the rares I can and playing solo from time to time. Everyone is different and they all play differently. I don't expect everyone to change for me or play the game the way I expect it to be played.

Seority
Sep 4, 2008, 02:41 AM
New Weapons are fun.
Events are fun.
Mad Creatures is NOT fun.
You're point?

Rayokarna
Sep 4, 2008, 03:51 AM
Well, taking into consideration my characters.

aXcess:

-Meh PT equipment.
-Meh WT equipment and PAs
-Going FT with only level 21 techs

Evangelon:

-Only AT that pairs a Crea Saber with a Mechgun.

I think that says it all XD.

Mike
Sep 4, 2008, 04:32 AM
They really hate when I suv and only the toilet shows up.

How can you hate the toliet?

Shinko
Sep 4, 2008, 05:41 AM
Yea i feel the same. but when that's all everyone else do. there nothing you really can do but do the same or just be alone.

(or just stay with the few friends u have which is ok but..... i like see new ppl. Just play with the same ppl all the time gets bored)

IcE_JutSu
Sep 4, 2008, 08:47 AM
My fun is hunting rares with my close friends who i have known for a year to a year and a half...

flamesphere
Sep 4, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yea i feel the same. but when that's all everyone else do. there nothing you really can do but do the same or just be alone.

(or just stay with the few friends u have which is ok but..... i like see new ppl. Just play with the same ppl all the time gets bored)

Yeah I know. Not like complaining about it is going to change the way its played even if I wish people would stop crowding around one area and disperse everywhere. We'd have plenty of parties for things then, but they don't all think that way. So, we either join them, or play alone. Since joining them would kill them game for me, I guess I'll go it alone or with one random friend that decides to show up. Heh, By the way everyone, thanks for all the opinions so far, wasn't expecting much for my first thread.

Powder Keg
Sep 4, 2008, 09:58 AM
People who cringe at other people's playstyle need another hobby.

Personally, when we're trying to grind a mission to hunt something, I'll help out by using the most efficient playstyle most of the time, but the main idea is just to enjoy yourself.

flamesphere
Sep 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
People who cringe at other people's playstyle need another hobby

I'm not really cringing, or shooting it down entirely. Its just my opinion that the gameplay has really degraded since I initially started playing, into the greed consumed thing it has become. Granted, if all the shiny new things weren't coming out, people would stop playing entirely, but still, is that really all that is left of the game?

Powder Keg
Sep 4, 2008, 10:17 AM
I can agree with that. I guess you could say a lot of people are bored and want to try something new. Everyone wants the shiny. I've sometimes switched classes just to try out certain fancy weapons if I didn't give them away or sell them instead. Hunting has always been one of the main things people enjoy about this game, and I'm satisfied with how the drop rates are currently for the most part.

flamesphere
Sep 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I do understand that too. Despite my way of thinking, I do get bored sometimes and trying something new and getting things for it is fun, in small doses. I just don't think it should consume the entirety of the game to where there aren't parties for anything and people are always around one or two missions.

Noblewine
Sep 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
The way the game is now you can solo with little trouble now and its enjoyable. I prefer
playing the old mission because I think their fun. I also run the new ones as well.
I collect/upgrade equipment on all of my characters. PA level is essential when I revisit old
missions to see how I would do when I play alone.

I use the PSOW or the official site as a resource for info. PSUpedia is also helpful.

unicorn
Sep 4, 2008, 11:54 AM
I play for fun.

I spend lots of time trying to better myself though (tech lvling, bullet lvling).

I'm not one of those elitist that needs 50% weps, high grinded Pwands, etc.

I always end up re-creating a character, so I'm always playing a nub. :3

Aisha379
Sep 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
In every MMORPG I've ever played, I've always been, first and foremost, an explorer/treasure hunter.

Seeing as PSU really has absolutely no exploration (compared to games like World of Warcraft of Ragnarok Online) this leaves me to go after shinies.

Personally, my enjoyment comes not from the actual fighting itself, per se, but seeing my characters grow and get stronger, finding new things for them and customizing them.

I really don't like doing the old missions though, if theres no good items I want from them. To me its just pointless - bad EXP, no good items, and laughably bad MP.

However thats not to say I'm a whitebeast spammer - far from it, really. I like to jump around and hunt for random things. I rarely stick to one mission until I find specifically what I want (that would be insane for me)

flamesphere
Sep 4, 2008, 01:03 PM
I always end up re-creating a character, so I'm always playing a nub. :3

Heh you do that too? I restarted a character not long ago actually. By the way, nice to see a lot of you middle of the road types out there. Striving to better yourself, can't stay with the base stuff forever cause that would be impractical, but you don't spam something and act like an elitist. That group there is mainly what the rant I seem to be on is about, the groups that have to be "the best" and do nothing else but that. Keep it coming, I'm enjoying all the info about how you all play.

Lyrix
Sep 4, 2008, 03:42 PM
I never get anything done XD I don't even play if no one else is on, and then we end up doing 1 or 2 runs that take 2-3 hours XD SCREW EFFICIENCY! :D

unicorn
Sep 4, 2008, 04:04 PM
Heh you do that too? I restarted a character not long ago actually. By the way, nice to see a lot of you middle of the road types out there. Striving to better yourself, can't stay with the base stuff forever cause that would be impractical, but you don't spam something and act like an elitist. That group there is mainly what the rant I seem to be on is about, the groups that have to be "the best" and do nothing else but that. Keep it coming, I'm enjoying all the info about how you all play.

I like how you think. We think alike. =B

Inazuma
Sep 4, 2008, 04:50 PM
i started psu w/ the goal of becoming the very best force i can and ive been working hard at it this whole time. i want to perfect my equip, learn the best way to kill monsters as fast as possible, and avoid dying. i get enjoyment from improving my char, learning about a better way to do something, and helping others do the same.

Nabeshin
Sep 4, 2008, 05:17 PM
Must say, playing the game with close friends is the bomb, it doesn't matter what mission it is, it's awesome! Leveling in consistency with your pals is reat too, you advance at the same time, you each have your traits and abilities. You just have a great time. Events, I like, a chance to treat yourself to lots of experience and rewards, although I like taking a break from them too. The game is just... fun? XD

autumn
Sep 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
I really like rare hunting. I love seeing levels on my characters. Recently I've been all GT and my crossbows are getting close to all being 21. I look forward to seeing levels. I can't stand seeing EXP FULL so my main who really needs to make her spells better (constantly being owned by other techers ;.;) so she has gone by the wayside. I like being efficient, but at this point I don't want to stunt my characters progression by not doing something because it isn't the best thing at the time. If I cared more my light xbow would still be level 1.....

Shinko
Sep 4, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah I know. Not like complaining about it is going to change the way its played even if I wish people would stop crowding around one area and disperse everywhere. We'd have plenty of parties for things then, but they don't all think that way. So, we either join them, or play alone. Since joining them would kill them game for me, I guess I'll go it alone or with one random friend that decides to show up. Heh, By the way everyone, thanks for all the opinions so far, wasn't expecting much for my first thread.

i'll join u something. Idm doing different things. But yeah i fell like u and want to do it alone too but..... i like being around and meeting ppl...... i mean that the whole point on a mmo right?

Powder Keg
Sep 5, 2008, 01:31 AM
I(constantly being owned by other techers ;.;)

Ugh, me too. The only thing I have at 31+ are the RA techs, Dambarta, Foie and Diga. Everything else is around the low to mid 20's. It amazes me how some people have a lot of that maxed. o.o

Gen2000
Sep 5, 2008, 01:41 AM
Meh, it's not really all of the community's fault. The lack of a central hub (a real one, not White Beast lobby) makes everywhere but the current hotspot a ghost town. Also people might find fun in leveling and learning how to play their character the best they can.

White Midnight
Sep 5, 2008, 01:47 AM
PSU is about fun for me. Ill focus on a missione very now and then for particular rares but I like to mix it up. Old mission, new mission, you name it. If I need MP or Exp real badly I will hang around certain areas but I don't like spamming the same mission too much. I like GBR for the fact that I will move through an entire block of missions with a party of randoms like the old days of PSU.

ShikiMSHTS
Sep 5, 2008, 01:51 AM
Jabroga/Dugrega spamming is king. :3

But really, there isn't a whole lot to complain about in this game at all really. If one mission gets boring, then I do another mission. If all of them get boring, I resort to socalizing. if that fails, then well, I log off and just live life for a while before coming back.

It's pretty simple MMO living.

shadowsniper6
Sep 5, 2008, 01:54 AM
i play on the 360 side its not the "funnest" at times.. i do play for fun but by most people terms its not "fun" more less "elitism" if you want to put it that way it does it bother me not really.. i play to lvl up my Photon Arts/"PAs"i do do the old missions but i don't like it when i hunt for the "goods" and some random person or a friend joins and they get the item i hunted for "Days/weeks" it "irks" me .. when i do join random parties i don't talk much i mostly kill everything and listen to them complain about how "lame" PSU is or getting booted for the most retarded reasons. im sure most of you get booted for no reason ... Maybe ...

personally if you have a problem with the way people play or the people that tell you how to play don't play with them..

I enjoy being "powerful and rich"

AweOfShe
Sep 5, 2008, 02:00 AM
I just like beating the crap out of things with a petite (note: not loli :P), frail looking character, using heavy-ass weapons. :P

ShikiMSHTS
Sep 5, 2008, 02:24 AM
I just like beating the crap out of things with a petite (note: not loli :P), frail looking character, using heavy-ass weapons. :P

I think I love you ;_;