PDA

View Full Version : Item Has PSU ruined the purpose of a MAG?

Alex PM Helper
Sep 6, 2008, 04:20 AM
To all the PSO Vets, Has PSU ruined the purpose of a MAG?

In PSO a mag would be above your left or right shoulder or both, and the MAG would boost up ur stats like : MST, DEF, APT (est) and have a Photon Blast

In PSU a mag still is above ur shoulder but is attacks monsters, or it would Cast Spells witch in this case that would be some what of a Remake of the "Photon Blast" from PSO....im hoping.

So Tell me Has PSU ruined the purpose of a MAG?

Syl
Sep 6, 2008, 04:26 AM
They aren't referred to as Mags anymore because well... they aren't anymore. They may resemble it, but that's as far as it goes.

Alex PM Helper
Sep 6, 2008, 04:35 AM
I know its not called a mag anymore, but the PSO vets know that something that floats above your shoulder is considered a mag. I mean like they have a mag from PSO the "Shato" and kind of just ruined the purpose fo it, by makeing it a Wep to cast spells

Syl
Sep 6, 2008, 04:38 AM
Well one thing...

PSU isn't PSO

That's why and that's your answer.

Alex PM Helper
Sep 6, 2008, 04:43 AM
I think i know that when i got the game. I was just asking a question to old pso vets

Alastor_Haven
Sep 6, 2008, 04:43 AM
Well one thing...

PSU isn't PSO

That's why and that's your answer.

Sums it up

Go back to PSO if you want a MAG

Alex PM Helper
Sep 6, 2008, 04:49 AM
I have pso right next to me, but Jesus i was just asking a question, dont have be a Ass about it

SabZero
Sep 6, 2008, 05:10 AM
No one is being an ass. There is simply no other answer to your question.

They added the RCSM (ranged combat support machine) and TCSM (TECHNIQUE combat support machine) with AoI, and made some look like MAGs in PSO, to please the players.

The way MAGs worked in PSO doesn't fit with how PSU works.

ashley50
Sep 6, 2008, 06:31 AM
Sums it up

Go back to PSO if you want a MAG

What she said...

Matic
Sep 6, 2008, 07:30 AM
Ruined? Not really. They just have a different purpose now, that's all.

chaoskila
Sep 6, 2008, 07:45 AM
mags were the shit.
bring it back.
how about it being a extra slot and it goes oever your right shoulder.

Arika
Sep 6, 2008, 07:56 AM
no, I think PSO 's MAG ruin the purpose of a support unit that only floating around doing nothing instead of being able to shoot something out from it, or casting some spell :p
(If you thinking back, it just doesn't make sense for your status to gain when something is floating above your shoulder really.)

I alway wondered why many MAG that look like a floating gun, could't shoot anything at all in the past.

chaoskila
Sep 6, 2008, 08:00 AM
no, I think PSO 's MAG ruin the purpose of a support unit that only floating around doing nothing instead of being able to shoot something out from it, or casting some spell :p
(If you thinking back, it just doesn't make sense for your status to gain when something is floating above your shoulder really.)

I alway wondered why many MAG that look like a floating gun, could't shoot anything at all in the past.

oki i thnk we are missing the point.
it put huumans and newmans on the same footing as cast and beasts. because it would give everyone the same power. the nanoblast thing

Arika
Sep 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
oki i thnk we are missing the point.
it put huumans and newmans on the same footing as cast and beasts. because it would give everyone the same power. the nanoblast thing

not that I care, when the statistic report of the second year festa show that there are human+newman as many as cast+beast, it mean they have done the good job already.
Beast are ugly, if they can't get benefit over a mere human, nobody would choose them.

shadowsniper6
Sep 6, 2008, 08:40 AM
i thought my pm was a mag sometimes lol before i fully lvled it lol

chaoskila
Sep 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
not that I care, when the statistic report of the second year festa show that there are human+newman as many as cast+beast, it mean they have done the good job already.
Beast are ugly, if they can't get benefit over a mere human, nobody would choose them.

lol...
wish sega would actually give us the festa.

Hucast-Kireek
Sep 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
PSU is very different from PSO so that style of MAGs can't return, PM's are sorta your MAGs now and the Madoogs and Shadoogs are weapons in the image of PSO MAGs now.

However Photon Blasts for Humans and Newmans would be nice since they need a special blast attack.

But maybe Humans and Newmans weren't given any because they are the ones who have high magic power.

HienkyakuX
Sep 6, 2008, 09:32 AM
Well the only way to bring the photon blast in my opinion is to make it an extra slot unit like the suv but human and newman only. In the case of human make it take like double the time than a newman would take to charge. They do have the nano/suv bar under the exp bar.

Kinako78
Sep 6, 2008, 09:51 AM

They are not ugly! :p

SuperRygar
Sep 6, 2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah Arika...better watch yourself next time your walking though Moatoob....

Beasts are the strongest, why would a fighter want to pick anything else? *off topic

ON TOPIC, im actually playing PSO again with my roommate and having a 175 POW mag really helped us get through those first few boring levels nice and quick. one of the best things about mag's in PSO was that you could equip the good weapons alot earlier, otherwise your using garbage and wasting hours upon hours of your time.

i think that in PSU there isnt really a need for mag's. PSO was very basic. now that the gameplay is beefed up and we have alot more moves we dont need the mag just to keep us company. but still...i like to equip the different RCSM's and pretend their mags :P

chaoskila
Sep 6, 2008, 11:20 AM

Beasts are the strongest, why would a fighter want to pick anything else?

beasts are ugly... est of them all right?
humph.

Arika
Sep 6, 2008, 11:36 AM

Beasts are the strongest, why would a fighter want to pick anything else? *off topic

Beast will be charmed by newman and then, be rejected anyway :wacko:

Kinako78
Sep 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
Beast will be charmed by newman and then, be rejected anyway :wacko:

My beast characters don't like newmans much. :p

Para
Sep 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
Sylvia summed it up nicely that PSO != PSU

That is all

Kylie
Sep 6, 2008, 01:48 PM
PSO and PSU are different games, and I think MAG differences should be the least of your worries. Yes, they put shadoogs and madoogs in to seduce old PSU vets into giving PSU a second look, but they were also added as new concepts--a weapon to cast spells quickly from the left, and an automatic gun-thing that relies on TP and inflicts status effects. In the end PSU is a very loose remake of PSO (if at all); don't look at it any other way.

Alex PM Helper
Sep 6, 2008, 03:35 PM
I just want people's opinions on this

ashley50
Sep 6, 2008, 05:53 PM
this ain't PSO...and that's a fact
Mags are the thing of the past

Ryno
Sep 6, 2008, 05:55 PM
I think i know that when i got the game. I was just asking a question to old pso vets

Im a pso vet. and I say. this is PSU not PSO.

Dhylec
Sep 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
I played both PSO & PSU extensively, I can tell that Mags serve different role in each game. PSO players must come to term with the change.

I liked what Mags were back on PSO. They served their purposes: virtual pet, stat booster & PB. I don't know if I have posted what I wished those Mags could be, but I've always wanted them to be more than a little boosting decorations hovering above my back. I wanted them to attack & fight with me, or be integrated into my weapons or armors so I can use them. Mag-weapon, Mag-armor, Mag that can physically help ya, how cool would that be? ;]

Come PSU's initial PM, then PSO's R-Mag & T-Mag in AoI. All my prayers seem to be answered by the Game gods. PM played some evolved/advanced role of PSO's Mag. A virtual pet & a helper. A pet that can grow into a fighting machine to help in battle. Since there is no bank girls around to manage your items, it can now hold items & synthesize them for ya.

To fill the void of a little deco floating behind your back, we get R-Mag & T-Mag. For a nostalgic factor, they are quite perfect what their new roles are. They are Mags that can attack. They don't have to boost my basic stats, since it's more reasonable to have armors & unit to do that. They are fighting weapons, that either shoot photon or cast techs. They fit with what they should be. Now, where is my Mag-Armor combo, ST? ;3

chaoskila
Sep 6, 2008, 06:49 PM
this ain't PSO...and that's a fact
Mags are the thing of the past

mags are the future.
it was better than pms by far.
you know it who doesnt want a little floating dreamcast boosting all your stats.

ashley50
Sep 6, 2008, 07:13 PM
Does it shoot CDs?

ok im done

Kumlekar
Sep 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
I played both PSO & PSU extensively, I can tell that Mags serve different role in each game. PSO players must come to term with the change.

I liked what Mags were back on PSO. They served their purposes: virtual pet, stat booster & PB. I don't know if I have posted what I wished those Mags could be, but I've always wanted them to be more than a little boosting decorations hovering above my back. I wanted them to attack & fight with me, or be integrated into my weapons or armors so I can use them. Mag-weapon, Mag-armor, Mag that can physically help ya, how cool would that be? ;]

Come PSU's initial PM, then PSO's R-Mag & T-Mag in AoI. All my prayers seem to be answered by the Game gods. PM played some evolved/advanced role of PSO's Mag. A virtual pet & a helper. A pet that can grow into a fighting machine to help in battle. Since there is no bank girls around to manage your items, it can now hold items & synthesize them for ya.

To fill the void of a little deco floating behind your back, we get R-Mag & T-Mag. For a nostalgic factor, they are quite perfect what their new roles are. They are Mags that can attack. They don't have to boost my basic stats, since it's more reasonable to have armors & unit to do that. They are fighting weapons, that either shoot photon or cast techs. They fit with what they should be. Now, where is my Mag-Armor combo, ST? ;3

He points out somethign important, MAG's equate more closely to partner machines than to RCSM's or TCSM's. Hell, half the time I call my PM a Mag, and I only played PSO for a few hours. As for stat boosts, thats just exclusive to armor units now, and the special attacks are just SUV or Nanoblast (race specific I know, but still similar) Its all there, but not in the same equiptment. PSO MAG's jst don't exist any more and are replaced by multiple other elements. R-Mags and T-Mags are just cosmetically similar.

Csero
Sep 7, 2008, 08:58 AM
He points out somethign important, MAG's equate more closely to partner machines than to RCSM's or TCSM's. Hell, half the time I call my PM a Mag, and I only played PSO for a few hours. As for stat boosts, thats just exclusive to armor units now, and the special attacks are just SUV or Nanoblast (race specific I know, but still similar) Its all there, but not in the same equiptment. PSO MAG's jst don't exist any more and are replaced by multiple other elements. R-Mags and T-Mags are just cosmetically similar.

True. I didn't get a chance to play PSO but I cannot tell you how many times randoms in my party refer to my GH 470 as the "Fag MAG"....

They suck. GH 470 is awsome.

thematesV2
Sep 7, 2008, 11:42 AM
OP: you have no right to get upset over this, you asked for peoples opinions, it's clear that you're getting peoples opinions.... perhaps you if you were hoping for a clear positive about mags in pso and how everyone wishes psu was pso, then you should have asked "who here agrees with me that pso had better mags!" in which you still would've gotten a bunch of opinions (i can garuntee you that they would still be pro psu because thats whats current.)

Yunfa
Sep 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
To OP, maybe you should play the game more, get more of a feel as a techer before posting your topic next time. You get used to it right away, sure when the expansion first came out I was surprised at the change, but hey, now you can have a Partner Machine AND a Mag, duel-wielding casting weapons. :D

unicorn
Sep 7, 2008, 10:52 PM
PSO MAGs were win because they gave players the chance to have diverse stats. I think PSU should have implented something like this, but alas it doesn't. All Beast FFs have the same stats. All Newmans in any job have the same stats, so there. The most creativity you get in stats is through equipment, but PSO had rares and a grinding system too.

PSU MAGs are just themed after PSO ones for nostalgic reasons. Annnd I also think they're lazy to come up with new designs.

AweOfShe
Sep 7, 2008, 11:23 PM
PSO MAGs were win because they gave players the chance to have diverse stats. I think PSU should have implented something like this, but alas it doesn't. All Beast FFs have the same stats. All Newmans in any job have the same stats, so there. The most creativity you get in stats is through equipment, but PSO had rares and a grinding system too.

In all honesty, if I wanted more diversity in stats (it would be pretty nice), I would rather have them implement Stat Materials, instead of PSO style Mags. 'Cause really, I don't want to feed another bastard pet. :P

Magus_84
Sep 7, 2008, 11:52 PM
They wouldn't really be diverse when all the stats would go into one of two areas.

TP for Fortetechers/Masterforces/Newmen Acrotechers, and ATP for everyone else.

Then again, that's kinda like PSO (post-v2) as you needed a ton of Dex on your Mag to hit stuff in Ultimate, and DFP on MAGs only gave you half the boost of a Material.

"Diversity" is simply lip service when only one or two stats in the game are really worth boosting.

unicorn
Sep 7, 2008, 11:58 PM
They wouldn't really be diverse when all the stats would go into one of two areas.

TP for Fortetechers/Masterforces/Newmen Acrotechers, and ATP for everyone else.

Then again, that's kinda like PSO (post-v2) as you needed a ton of Dex on your Mag to hit stuff in Ultimate, and DFP on MAGs only gave you half the boost of a Material.

"Diversity" is simply lip service when only one or two stats in the game are really worth boosting.

There was HP mats too.

Mike
Sep 8, 2008, 12:56 AM
I think MAG ruined the purpose of PSU but that's a different topic. :D It'd be neat if they made an extra slot item that looked like a mag.

Alex PM Helper
Sep 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thats what i want thats sounds Great

Miyoko
Sep 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm glad they took out / changed MAGs and stat materials, personally. >_> I hated that crap. It was so tedious calculating your required mat usage and MAG stats, let alone -raising- them. It was also annoying trying to start fresh characters, only to have people massively tweaked out with Lv200 mags come and just one-shot everything...

HiroChicken
Sep 9, 2008, 04:15 AM
I think MAG ruined the purpose of PSU but that's a different topic. :D It'd be neat if they made an extra slot item that looked like a mag.

But if it were like a Mag and floated over your shoulder, what would happen if you tried using a Tech-Mag or Range-Mag at the same time as the armor slot Mag?

Garanz-Baranz
Sep 9, 2008, 07:08 AM
Going by the original name said for the weapons... Madoogs, Shadoogs, and Partner machines are the only Mag related things.

Shadoogs and Madoogs only show their cosmetic shape and "sholder position" in relation to old PSO MAGs.

MAGs boosted stats, and gifted Photon Blast. Photon Blast was eventually put useless in the jist of things in PSO except for Shifta and Deband.

In PSU, to make up for the lack of Mag Stat boost, Reteir and Zodial were made to give us additional ATA, EVP, the new Defensive MST, and the new Attacking TP. PM's are the most similar devices too mags, however, they take a BETTER role as a support machine.

Over Mags, PM's give you Storage, Synthesizing outside of Montague's hands, Room Customization, Shop organization, A fully customizable NPC unit, a Music record player, a tutorial starter, and a talking partner you can make fun of in battle.

None of which was posible by MAGs before hand.

thematesV2
Sep 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
I don't know, I miss mags too, but I also sold pso, sooo...... I'm taking what psu gives me. I was hardly a pso vet. I put a grand total of about 300 hours in, which is nothing compaired to some people, so perhaps I don't have quite the attachment to mags that some do. I do wish that they would boost the styles of PMs though... as in, perhaps have a small lion (4 legged PMS?) or a bird of some kind, or snakes, angels/faerie (fluttering) brawler (with the bowler cap and all) I know they have a style/brand to uphold with psu, but what about the dallgun rod? if they can mix up weaps, mix up PMs. i guess they are starting to, with that dog, dragon, hippo PM.

Alex PM Helper
Sep 11, 2008, 09:00 PM
OMG you sold PSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger-08
Sep 11, 2008, 09:29 PM
OMG you sold PSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crucify him!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!

Mags were nice, but I was never crazy about them. Personally, I don't think their presence in PSU would have made a game-changing difference. Seriously.

Serephim
Sep 11, 2008, 09:43 PM
in all truth, i understand madoogs and shadoogs were supposed to kind of be for nostalgia purposes, but i think Madoogs would have been FAR cooler if they were arm attachments (like the arm devices all the PSO hunters/Rangers had for barriers) and made it look as if the spells were casted directly from the player.

MAGs were a main gameplay device in PSO, but in PSU everything works far differently. They have no place in the game the way they worked before, but it would be pretty neat if there was an upgradeable Extra Slot unit for things like MAGS.

But the main reason i dont really care to see them return is that in all truth, they broke PSO pretty badly. That, and aside from stat changes, MAG Blasts were 100% totally useless.

In fact, i remember being killed from MAG Blasts more than ever being saved.

Tigernado
Sep 11, 2008, 09:50 PM
I would of liked there to be a PSO-like MAGs in PSU. Because of the lack of MAGs and materials all race / class / gender combinations have the same stats. All level 140 male beasts fortefighters have the same stats. Only differences are equipment.

I like the mag-look-a-like weapons but they haven't replaced the purpose of a MAG.

Serephim
Sep 11, 2008, 10:10 PM
There is no purpose for MAGs in PSU. Thats kind of the point lol.

Race/Sex/Class stat modifiers are more than enough. I personally think more stat altering units / weapons are a far more reasonable idea. MAGs could potentally just break alot of things in PSU that really dont need to be broken. (or broken any further.)

You see, sadly SEGA must have used the same bullshit calculation for Defense and Mental Strength twice, because they are two stats that are pathetically underweighted compared to ATP and ATA. You could use MAGs to increase mental strength and defense more, but all it would equate to is more benefit for the Melee user and an even farther gap between the balance of Melee and Gunner/Techer user damage.

We'd be back in the world of HuMar's ruling the world, techers being 100% completely useless restabots and gunners just being those people that never get hit and never find a rare weapon they can use/dont already have.

Oh. And MAG attacks that look pretty and just equate to you getting raped as soon as the cinematic ends.

Blueblur
Sep 13, 2008, 12:50 AM
Man, you guys are ridiculously harsh about MAGs.

Reki_III
Sep 14, 2008, 10:21 AM
People in this arguement are saying things like (in different game names) "I'm not going to play Final Fantasy 8 because its not like 7."

And I agree, PSO has mags, PSU has PM's. You can't say "I want a new style of gamng, but I don't want it to be different from the old style."

Sorry if this seems to be harsh, but its true. If you want PSO gameplay, go back to PSO. Sega probably got rid of MAGs because they thought that it wasn't good enough to implement, or that it the system gave too much advantage to some players. Why don't you ask Sega why the MAGs didn't carry over?

However, it would be interesting to have a MAG over your right shoulder and a T-MAG/R-MAG over your other, while the MAG stays in the lobby areas. (Are they still called that in PSU?)

Serephim
Sep 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
People in this arguement are saying things like (in different game names) "I'm not going to play Final Fantasy 8 because its not like 7.

More like, "i dont want to play a game with both Materia and Summon Junctioning. Sometimes i like to smack my enemy and not do 999,999 damage."

grandpaws
Jan 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
Well I do miss feeding my Mag and then having it evolving into something else but I agree with SabZero. The Mag wouldn't go well with PSU.