PDA

View Full Version : PSU For fun, for obsession, or for what?

cel
Sep 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'm wondering how it is people are still playing this game when there are so many other games out there that... shall we say... supercede the content of this morpg (no first m for obvious reasons). It's a valid question. I have no agenda. Just want to know what you guys have to say.

Is it for an item? Do you realize how petty and insignificant that is, especially in the long run of your life?

Is it for friends you have here online? That's mostly my case, really, but it's not really as fun as meeting friends IRL and having a drink at the local pub or [insert social activity here].

Let me introduce this anecdote to bring to light why I am making this thread. I have this one friend here in PSU who has been around for quite some time. He's got everything, pretty much, in the game. Nearly everything that matters, he has it, and they're all really good %. He got them all the hard way. After all that farming, I can only imagine what his character screen says in terms of time played for each toon he has.

Anyway, he obsesses over this one item. I won't say which, but it is one of the most rare items in the game, and indeed, the most powerful and actually worth its rarity unlike those pretty guns with a puny ATT boost over their predecessors. He's had several of them already, but he says he keeps playing so he can get the ultimate one with the ultimate % and the ultimate grind. What is that?

I told him "you do realize that since you already have a decent version of one with a moderately good % and a very nice grind, that the damage difference you will actually have from that 'ultimate' version will hardly be remarkeable." He responds, almost sadly, "There's nothing else for me to do here." It made me think that he's likely not the only poor soul who really only plays for this paltry reasoning.

I realize the game is dying, at least here in the non-JP PSU servers. Dunno really about xbox360's population, but it can't be that healthy with all the competition on that console. Honestly, I couldn't give two shits about JP PSU because they get all the attention while the 'other' PSU is left to rot for no logical reason. And don't give me that BS about being behind in events because we've had all these periods without any events which just took up time. It could have and should have been event after event after event, back to back, at least until both versions are in synch with each other. But that's a whole other topic.

My answer to my own thread is this: When I cancelled and resubbed about two months later, I still had this urge to play because it was a new game to me. Now it's become a little boring and lost a lot of its 'new-to-me' flair. So that's my answer. It was new and still fun for me, though today, I have nowhere near the capacity to farm for items like I did when I was only 3 or 4 months into the game. So other than the few people I like to chat with, there isn't much of a reason anymore for me.

So in short: what keeps making you coming back?

gundam0079
Sep 7, 2008, 10:33 AM
guess time invested in the game. i take breaks and such and only play a few days a week so im not bored.

Neith
Sep 7, 2008, 10:36 AM
For the sake of playing with friends, and because I'd rather spend time playing this than [insert generic Korean grind-fest here] or dare I say it, World of Warcraft :disapprove:

Mainly because my friends play, so I tend to have a good time (although I will admit lately it's been extremely quiet online, and pretty boring).

Finally, natural progression from PSO. If I was going to play any online game after PSO went down, it'd be the next Phantasy Star, unless something else came along that piqued my interest more. Even now, the only game even remotely interesting me is Diablo 3, and that's probably way off release. Even then, I'd probably juggle D3 and PSU.

I'll probably keep playing as long as friends do. The game is pretty boring when you're soloing all the time, so I'd need my friends to quit before I did.

Edit: I'm somewhat like your friend actually, though not THAT extreme. When no-one is on, I'll just grind like crazy for a particular item I want (latest is Psycho Wand for a friend, and Lumira / Spread for me). It gives me something to do until we have an update.

Ash1ey
Sep 7, 2008, 10:54 AM
Pretty much what Neith said :P

Alastor_Haven
Sep 7, 2008, 11:05 AM

Mmhmmm

Sidney
Sep 7, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm not an elitist, and I take my time, so I still have plenty of things to accomplish and do. I'm nowhere near bored yet, thankfully. Friends also factor in! Plus, as fun as going out is, it's not always financially practical for a poor college kid like myself, so PSU is a nice way to have some fun at home.

Also, why PSU? It's laid-back and easy. Sure, there are "greater MMOs" out there, but I'm just a casual gamer, other MMOs really don't interest me. I don't have the time to invest in games like that, nor the interest.

Wiz
Sep 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
Seconded.

Csero
Sep 7, 2008, 11:58 AM
Most of my friends have quit by now. I play because I just generally enjoy the game. When I have obtained the equipment I want, I'll stop.

Yunfa
Sep 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
The amount of hours i've spent on this game daily back in the days can easily catigorize myself in the "hardcore" section. Why? Because the game was challenging regarding to building your character, now with most of the S ranks became more common, I priotized myself into getting the best % and the best grinds to seperate myself with the other "common" S ranks. That kept me playing for a good while.

- After having most of everything existing in the game with maxed lvls and maxed PAs, Techs, (not maxed bullets, but decent ones for my 4th character.) Without friends the game gets boring indeed. Sure I can go to open parties are act high and mighty, but even that gets old.

- Now I only log on to grab my daily silver coin if I don't forget, then log off. Fall semester started for me too, and with the new addicting game Disgaea 3, it's hard to enjoy PSU at it's current state.

(It's ironic how some of my friends in real life convinced me to transfer to the 360 version, now only one of them plays still since she enjoys socializing more than hardcore lvling up. Don't underestimate her tho, she recently obtained what she's always wanted since day one, a 10/10 Psychowand. Makes me wonder if she would ever get bored since she just checked off her biggest wants.)

I was also very very...very hardcore playing PSO for the GC years and years back. My record of not sleeping was 3 days and a half due to playing Challenge Mode with Japanese players. They knew what they were doing, they were so good they knew when to dodge enemy atks, they usually just drop their scapes when the mission begins. XD I reached Bu-ei no prob for 3 characters. The goal of having a weapon which you can name it yourself, made the challenge all the more worth it. (Shame I lost Yun's Double Saber +350 due to FSOD, shud've learned duping right from the beginning.)

CelestialBlade
Sep 7, 2008, 12:31 PM
PSU is a fun, casual game with awesome character creation, outfits, and the battle system is way more engrossing than those boring point-and-click MMOs. I've also got tons of friends here that have been keeping me going. The management may be terrible, but I love the game too much to abandon it.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Sep 7, 2008, 12:42 PM
PSU is a fun, casual game with awesome character creation, outfits, and the battle system is way more engrossing than those boring point-and-click MMOs. I've also got tons of friends here that have been keeping me going. The management may be terrible, but I love the game too much to abandon it.
Not to mention you get to make 4 Characters. :>
I capped my main recently, so now I'm using one of my lower-level characters.. And at the same time trying a different style of gameplay.

.....GUNS.

Ryock
Sep 7, 2008, 12:46 PM
what keeps making you coming back?

Cause it's a game. A game with progression from a previous game(PSO) that I love, and that the majority of people here have played before ever touching this one. I take occasional breaks, because simply there is not enough content and the game is too easy. I only have to spend maybe a few hours, IF that in a single day, and from 130 to 140, I'm sure I'll hit the cap in only a few weeks, as I've only recently come back about a week or two ago and came from 120-131.

I mostly just go back and forth between this and Ragnarok Online, so I'm rarely ever bored. If one game is a little annoying atm, I go to the other. I've got plenty of things to do though, still many weapons I haven't hunted, etc. I'm also easily bought if a game makes spells look really flashy and powerful, since I'm a magic freak.

Kylie
Sep 7, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have to credit my friends with keeping me around. If there's just one person that I get along with that I can play with regularly, it makes all the difference, and I can stand to play so much longer with friends than I can with randoms. I also play to cap my skills, somewhat for cool items (but they are rarely too important to me). I do like the game, but that can fluctuate drastically depending on what's new and how happy everyone else is around me.

darkante
Sep 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
I kinda play it for it unique gameplay style, and i got friends who wants to do runs from time to time which both are good reason to stick around.
Leveling Photon Arts is also something that gives more reason to play this game for.
Canīt really say that it doesnīt give alot of satisfaction to max a P.A. ^^

Freshellent
Sep 7, 2008, 01:14 PM
There's a large number of reasons I keep coming back. Well, I suppose in my case, I never left. The only time I've taken a break from PSU was when I've been on vacation, when I got a chance to play Metal Gear Solid 4, Guilty Gear Accent Core came out and when I have had too much to deal with at home/work.

For the most part, I play for friends and personal goals I've set for myself in-game. I waited years to play this, and now that it's finally here I can't help but feel like a fool everytime I consider leaving. I literally sat at work sometimes daydreaming about playing again, talking to people I had met, and trying out new things I haven't experienced in-game.

I lead a very fullfilling life, could use a better job, but considering the friends I have and the place I live I think I'm doing incredibly well.

PSU at one time was this long, far off dream of a game that I wanted to play for ages. What good would it do if I just said " Fuck it, I've done everything, I've seen everything, yadda, yadda." So I continue to put time into something I really, truely enjoy playing.

Besides, the community here is unlike any other. I really mean that. There are some really interesting and talented people here. This game is as deep, or as simple as you make it. While in most respects you can't deny that PSU is too easy, but that's part of the charm. There are enough challenges that exist, it's a matter of finding them.

One thing I'll touch on again, friends on here. Most specificly, people on here in general. Anyone that knows me, knows I avoid Uni2 nowadays. I rarely leave my usual place, only coming out to say hello to key people that I feel deserve more than a mail, or to contribute my number to the population, on the rare occasion that I can't find a party with the usual crew and I don't feel like soloing. What I mean to say is, it's common for any community to have people you want to avoid, unfourtunately since Uni2 is the main one for PC/PS2, that's where the rude people stay. So I avoid them. This doesn't mean I'm anti social, moreover spoiled but the amazing people I have met, and share good relationships with.

When I see people making comments like " PSU is dying." or " This game is dead. " it sorta irks me. I have the opinion that the game's community is evolving until it's final update, or when servers actually close. A dead game means no content will ever come to it again, and all of the players and development have given up on the title as a whole. I don't see that happening here yet. There's plenty of life left. Sure, we don't have the number of players that Jp does, or even 360 does, but how many people here can honestly say they've met every single player on this game and have gotten to know them? If you think you have, your a goddamn liar. I've managed to met new people every event, in random unis, in the strangest places in general on this game. It's not possible to know EVERYONE in this community because it's exaggerated on how many of us play ( or don't, in this case. )

Yes, sometimes I wish it was like way back in December in launch year of PSU, where I had to wait at the teleporter cube to join my friends in Uni1. Do I miss the hacking? Of course not, running around in fear of all my efforts being wasted by some punk who's got a plan to wipe my character or destroy the community around them is not my idea of fun.
But, I waited it out. My whole guild left me, (sans one person, thank you Syl.) and a great majority of my friends had been chased off by the hacking. I continued to play because there was still people to meet, and stuff to do.

And now, I roll with some of the best players in the game. Not because we have the best equipment or the highest%s or grinds ( far from it actually ) I say the best because I've got the support of the best people I've ever met in a game. I've even met a lot of them irl, shaken hands and exchanged smiles, and made plans in the future to hang with them again. Yet, there are still more of them I haven't had the pleasure of meeting.

I've watched people come and go on this game, methinks I'll continue to do that till servers officially close. I'm part of a community grander than I could have imagined. This forum is a big help too, I couldn't be happier.

tl;dr : Glad to be here.

RegulusHikari
Sep 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
You show me an online sci-fi action RPG with a fast paced combat system and casual "grind" other than Phantasy Star and I will be more inclined to stop playing this game.

First and foremost I play this game for fun. I enjoy the combat system, the character customization, and the cool weapons, but all of that is just icing on the cake. A close-knit group of buddies is all you need to enjoy anything, period. Playing any game for any other reason than fun is just counter-productive.

You make a point about the small community; and you're right. But I for one certainly don't mind a lacking popularity when all the people I will ever need are in a single ventrillo channel. I'll be damned if I'm about to quit I game I enjoy because its not popular with the cool kids (read: Guild of Conancraft players). Anyone who feels that way needs to rexamine their self-esteem, not PSU.

This game is as deep, or as simple as you make it.A friend of mine said the same thing, and I couldn't agree more.

Noblewine
Sep 7, 2008, 02:58 PM
I like collecting rares and crafting my characters. I use to stay up late and jump to player shop to the next hunting rares while I was looking for a job. At the time I'm just revisiting old favorites and learning some fundamentals of the game mostly just learning which weapon does well in certain situations.

AweOfShe
Sep 7, 2008, 03:16 PM
I think it's 'cause I play this game so casually now with a bunch of close friends, that I can keep coming back for more, and not get bored or annoyed with this game. The fact that you can pick up and play this game whenever you want, and still not be too far away from everyone else is what keeps me coming back.

Not to mention the fun times, and laughs with the friends alone (In the lobby and in game) are pretty awesome. Good times. :P

Hwang
Sep 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
Makes a change from playing FFXI for 6 hours a day, now I just play this for 8 hours a day XD

goaferboy
Sep 7, 2008, 05:17 PM
I play it because I enjoy it. It's that simple.

Juza
Sep 7, 2008, 05:49 PM
Numans.

I don't care if Sonic Team is trying to turn them into frilly tree-smoking space elves. I don't care if the ST devs continue to do drugs and in the next PS game, turn Numans into ten-hp, no-combat, basketweaving hippies. I'll be there, wielding claws for the glory of Rika and Nei.

Because every time you play a Numan without claws, the Profound Darkness kills a kitten. Won't somebody think of the kittens?

...Also I'm old and bitter and yell at beasts to get off my lawn all the time, and thus don't have time for a 'traditional' MMOG. Nowadays I like games where I can leave for a while, come back, and not have to take three months off of work just to play catch up. Casual games FTW.

cookie_party
Sep 7, 2008, 05:54 PM
Due to I have this false optimism that some day SEGA will give us pvp, something ive been wanting so bad for an online action game that no other action game has or ever had thats like PSU except PSO (which isnt at all close to PSO but like it), it could all work out if they tried it, re-balancing everything doesnt sound that much big of a deal if its gonna make them more money (players that want something to do, this is a good reason, i could see it bringing players bakc, i mean reasons why most ive seen quit was because they were tired of fighting the same cycle every time like RL which is totally boring).

What I mean is, like you say, when you have everything, thats it, you have everything and now there is nothing to do like every other rpg, even though it could gain longevity if they just gave it more flexibility, a reason to get all these things, not to feel like youve accomplished everything (you dont really accomplish anything constructive in a game anyway) but for any reason you feel like your doing this for (fighting rivals could be an edition to accomplishing things like having the most meseta to being having the most powerful characters in the game). Feeling like youve accomplished everything is a reason though.

Im not ranging it all to just pvp, thats just what i want to see, but anything like a PA maker (add given moves into your own custom PA or something like Tenchi No Mon) would be cool as well. So incase something like that ever happens, is why im still playing.

Until then, my PSU game time is mad low, and RL is more fun atm, back then when PSO was out all my friends played it when i showed it to them, now that stuff like this endless flow of shooters that for some reason they wont stop playing to like mostly 360 games, nobody likes this kind of game these days (which isnt hard to understand in a way but on the other hand i like customization and Star Ocean which sort of equals this but much whacker however the online makes up for that, well etleast until Star Ocean IV comes out that is).

Kinako78
Sep 7, 2008, 09:15 PM
Numans.

I don't care if Sonic Team is trying to turn them into frilly tree-smoking space elves. I don't care if the ST devs continue to do drugs and in the next PS game, turn Numans into ten-hp, no-combat, basketweaving hippies. I'll be there, wielding claws for the glory of Rika and Nei.

Because every time you play a Numan without claws, the Profound Darkness kills a kitten. Won't somebody think of the kittens?

I like you. Can we be friends? :D

CelestialBlade
Sep 7, 2008, 09:30 PM
Numans.

...Also I'm old and bitter and yell at beasts to get off my lawn all the time, and thus don't have time for a 'traditional' MMOG. Nowadays I like games where I can leave for a while, come back, and not have to take three months off of work just to play catch up. Casual games FTW.
This, too. All of it.

Omega_Weltall
Sep 7, 2008, 09:36 PM
Numans.

VOTE THIS MAN INTO OFFICE!!

Ryno
Sep 7, 2008, 09:43 PM
This is the only game I play. ( i do have pso but that's the past till PSU came out ) but 100% mostly play PSU other than my games that I have on me. I have Halo 3. but if you see me online with halo 3 or other games that's not me playing it. lol

Mike
Sep 8, 2008, 01:06 AM
Do you realize how petty and insignificant that is, especially in the long run of your life?
Not just digital possesions but physical ones too.

I'd play it for the friends, thats what happened in PSO but I just started up again on a different server so the number of my friends is low low low.

Seority
Sep 8, 2008, 03:28 AM
It sadly is no longer a harder class game but more casual now. It still has high goals to acheive and it is slightly nice to not have to skip work somedays to play it, but I do wish for challenge to come back into the game.

It's still addiciting and fun. Sad to see it so low in popluation right now, but I blame no one for I know how badly Sega runs it here for us.

Clunker
Sep 8, 2008, 03:29 AM
You show me an online sci-fi action RPG with a fast paced combat system and casual "grind" other than Phantasy Star and I will be more inclined to stop playing this game.

First and foremost I play this game for fun. I enjoy the combat system, the character customization, and the cool weapons, but all of that is just icing on the cake...

THIS. My roommate plays WoW, and occasionally attempts to get me interested.

I'm an avid sci-fi guy - playing a traditional fantasy MMO would drive me bug f-ing crazy.
Hell, I'm a tabletop RPG gamer, and I'm usually very reluctant to play a game that has a 'lower' tech level than that of the real world.

How many games, on-line or no, allow one to play true androids/robots? Damn few.
This is one of those few.

Finally, I kinda like the backstory that the world's infrastructure has been using photon-based tech for soooo long, that they literally don't understand what a toaster or a metal-bladed weapon would be good for. That implies a certain... style that I like.

thunder-ray
Sep 8, 2008, 03:44 AM
Its simple I love this game. Since I got like 2 capped chars, a lvl 124 gunner and a lvl 66 fightgunner i still got plenty to do here. So ya im hooked on this game.

Kizeragi
Sep 8, 2008, 03:57 AM

This for me too.

EMPYREAN
Sep 8, 2008, 04:28 AM
simply becouse its an easy game to pick upp and play, and u can stop playing it for a few months and only miss a few uppdates and a possible lv cap but all of this u can catch upp in a few weeks, thus giving me time to play other games aswell =)

i play on a pc whit a pad and its perfect for me as i hate the mmos where u have to use both keyboard and mouse to play.
top it off whit a sci/fi setting, its just too perfect to me to completly stop playing it.

shadowsniper6
Sep 8, 2008, 04:28 AM
i play cause i don't have to worry about the people baggin on me all the time for "owning"(i still play halo 3 and cod 4 and any other game )

rayner
Sep 8, 2008, 07:43 AM
I tend to get PSU fever... I play on the X360 with a friend of mine from the very beginning. We did quit for awhile from May 07 to Mar 08, about 9 months. Came back for AoI... and have been playing since. From time to time I just want to play PSU and advance my characters... I've been trying to MAX all my Gun PA's since forever... and I'm doing really good with most at 31+ now... total of 20 different PA's.

We tend to do at least 1 run per day... and on days where we have some decent luck we play longer. We definitely play for fun... but I'd really like some new missions or a revamp of old missions.

Arika
Sep 8, 2008, 08:28 AM
This game is really may be the only online RPG game that you can still do good even if you take some break and play other game (but not too often)
If you start your grind at something like WOW or FFXI , you stuck there forever!! It is endless hell of grind, and it will take over all of your activity time.

I like it a lot on how they reduce the rarity of stuff in PSU. it make you actually be able to play for fun and chill around instead of grinding 24/7 like in the past.

Yoyu
Sep 8, 2008, 08:29 AM
i'm a phantasy star fan *nods* have been for a long time now, perhaps the only rpg series that has kept me in faithful following & psu is no exception - xbox 360 is where you'll find me. if others decide to leave, i'll be around leveling solo if need be. turnbased rpg's don't do it for me - too boring. at least in psu i feel like i'm in the action & there's lots to do.

or as mentioned in Heat - the action is the juice.

Itachi1990
Sep 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
I play because i need something to do at home and when im baked lol nothing better to do thats my reason i guess.

panzer_unit
Sep 8, 2008, 08:44 AM
Minus some of the most hilarious outfits I really like PSU's visual style... mainly the glowstick weapons and shields, robot characters, even the silly club-kid style of most clothing grew on me.

I like the way the game plays as well, much more than point-and-click RPG's.

My biggest complaint is that new stuff is TOO EASY TO GET, on the other hand it keeps the "game" from demanding ALL of my free time on those occasions when there are new things to go and get... I can spend time playing other stuff that I like instead. I feel sort of bad for bailing on my in-game friends but PSOW has great features for keeping us in touch.

Ezodagrom
Sep 8, 2008, 08:49 AM

Kinda the same for me...except the friends part ^^;...err...I mean...I have some friends here, but there's only 1 that I play with regularly (if it wasn't for her, I probably would have quitted some time ago...or even moved to the JP servers o.o).

I like the game and like playing on the US/EU version, I wouldn't be considering switching if they could keep us with the content updates 2 or 3 months behind JP, instead of 6 months (and depending on when mission carnival is released, it will be 7)...

stukasa
Sep 8, 2008, 10:39 AM
I play because it's a fun game, because it's more casual than other MMO games so it doesn't suck up all my free time, because I love the style and all the character customization options, and because even after all this time there's still stuff I haven't found yet. And to be honest, I've spent so much time watching my characters grow and evolve that I'd feel bad giving them up.

I still play everyday but not as much as I used to (maybe ~2/3 as much), but I probably would have quit already if it wasn't for my friend who's stayed with me since the beginning. ^^

Akaimizu
Sep 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
It's definitely a game i can play on a more casual level, though indeed I did spend crazy hours raising PAs just to have a very effective GT (and one prepared to take on the final announced GT ability bump). It's still has a good bit of straight action to keep you interested. I kind of like the feel of Phantasy Star better than the point and click MMOs because everything is so tactile. A nice merger of full blown action game and MMO.

Now certainly, I'm playing other games in the mix, but that's it. I can do that. A lot of other MMOs make it seem like (if you have limited time to play games) you can't play anything else but that game. I'd feel it would be a waste of money to buy all those other nice games I have, if I never get to play them.

Anyway, I'm now relegated to kind of pop-in and out a little more these days, especially since a lot of the most time-demanding stuff I've cleared a good bit over that hump. Now I can sort of go in for fun and for raising newer characters to levels that can take on S2 missions. I have fun jumping off and playing other games, but they aren't exactly replacements for PSU. None of them play quite the same or allow the same amount of players together.

However, I enjoy the freedom of playing a bit more casually now until the Master-class stuff arrives. Though the only bad is that there's still the monthly charge. I can't really afford to go quite as casual as I could for Guild wars, per se.

DAMASCUS
Sep 8, 2008, 11:26 AM
If PSU had more exposure for the PC scene like a free demo/first month banner here and there at websites, we would see a much healthier population. The reason I say this is that what I'm reading from players is what a lot of people would really appreciate with this game, they just don't know about it and haven't tried. Clearly XBox doesn't have that problem..but a slightly related different problem ;)

I love the fact that some rares are easy to get while other sought after rares take more work to get. Psycho Wand is not as rare as it used to be but when I see someone with it I know they went through some trouble to get it; same with Agito Repca.

The only thing I find myself grinding for is Catilium...that reminds me..

Gen2000
Sep 8, 2008, 11:57 AM
- Character models look better than most other MMORPGs.
- "Action" actually feels like action when fighting. No matter how much of an easy mode this game has become it still looks and flows better than other battles from other MMORPG dull click fest. I come from fighting/action game communities, when I hit something I need to actually feel like I'm hurting someone.
- Sci-fi theme, I think this is the only sci-fi online game still running, there used to be another quite similar to this one with "casts" having BFG summons and all that but it died. I'm not big into playing as ugly green orges or such.
- Friends (duh), gotta be at least one person you look for when you log in otherwise the game is pointless.

Akaimizu
Sep 8, 2008, 12:12 PM
Tabula Rasa is another sci-fi online game still running, though it's a newer game. It's not quite the same tactile action, though. I think it's the only other major sci-fi online game that has you running around as a humanoid character model.

SuperRygar
Sep 8, 2008, 12:13 PM
hmm, I think the problem is that people play this game like other games. They just grind, grind, grind until they have everything..expecting new items to be introduced afterwards. I wish that were the case, but its not. This is only a casual game. The total list of items in this game is so much smaller when compared to games like FFXI, WoW, and even PSO. The good/rare items anyways. Now if everything was unlocked at once it would be a different story. But then, everyone would just grind until they had all those and complain some more. It's more of a greed issue than a lack of content issue :P I think they should have Exclusive items, like in FFXI. Some weapons cannot be traded/sold, you have to find it yourself from a (sometimes) hard quest. And they usually have awesome effects. I dont get why most people just go and buy the latest new weapon...why buy anything? Where's the satisfaction in being handed a weapon?

Oh and to the people who say FFXI takes up all your time, your wrong. I play FFXI, quite casually. I quit every 2 months or so, and always come back to PSU. MMO's only take up all your time if you let them

The reason I come back to this game is because the gameplay is so much more rewarding. My skill is much more of a factor in staying alive than the quality of my gear.

Cel, I think you've just been grinding too much :P Although, I think we should grind some more so we can get more Mesetas :D

quote: Friends (duh), gotta be at least one person you look for when you log in otherwise the game is pointless.

uhhh....pointless? No. I have many friends on my list, but i find myself just going and finding an open party. How is that pointless? It allows me to make new friends OMG What a crazy idea!!

Fecesbot
Sep 8, 2008, 02:44 PM
I still play because I enjoy PSU in small bursts. It use to be because of friends but none of them play anymore. Now I'll just play PSU for a couple of months and then take a break for a couple of months. I can only enjoy PSU when there is something other than White Beast to run. I switch from PSU and PSO, yes I still play PSO, and that usually keeps me entertained. Now I have stopped playing both so that I can focus on the semester because education comes first... unfortunately...

I'll be back on PSU and PSO in December and I'll enjoy it.

Danny_Dark
Sep 8, 2008, 02:51 PM

I agree with that.

Kinako78
Sep 8, 2008, 04:18 PM
quote: Friends (duh), gotta be at least one person you look for when you log in otherwise the game is pointless.

uhhh....pointless? No. I have many friends on my list, but i find myself just going and finding an open party. How is that pointless? It allows me to make new friends OMG What a crazy idea!!

Yeah, and some of us (like me) had to do that when we first started playing online or we wouldn't have any friends to play with now. :D

pikachief
Sep 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
I sadly play for obsession!

but not for obsession of the game but for a forbidden love <3

Gen2000
Sep 8, 2008, 04:34 PM

If they weren't online, you wouldn't have much motivation to log on (Hint: one of the reasons the population is so dead now on PC/PS2 side). This game has reach a point where it's pretty much tight clicks now. Having many partner cards doesn't make everyone on there your friend.

seph_monkey
Sep 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
i play to kill time i guess.
its the only game i really play, well a few weeks ago i bough conker live and reloaded hahaha it still fun to me.

i pretty much use to play alot cause i had alot of really gewd friends and i enjoy the game
i still enjoy the game very much but i guess i dont play it too much, but yeah i solo alot so the community doesnt bother me too much but i do like to play with people sometimes which i find a problem sometimes, i always like to meet new people >.o-b

pso was one of my first online games ever so yeah, the servers closed ( xbox ) not that long from when i got pso so i decided to get psu, thats why i play psu.

in short i have no real reason at the moment but just for entertainment and killing time

ZcRaider
Sep 8, 2008, 07:21 PM
I know this may seem kinda of random. But this is why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1pb1IZcaiQ

Its about the old school man. I have been dreaming about a game that has everything that PSU has. A unique battle system that i actually work with, not just point and click. Ive been following this series since the Genesis.

OMG, when PSO hit the dreamcast, it changed my life about these types of video games.

Pso.... how i miss thee....sigh.

I like how sega tryed to keep it new, but keep the old school feel of PSO.

I set goals for my self. I Pride my self in developing one of the most powerful HUMANS on PSU. The other classes have extras, but humans dont. I make up for that by lvling everything i possibly can, to the max. PA arts, Weapons, Armor, UNITS. Everything to the THE EXTEAME MAN.

I often find myself hitting harder than a beast or cast, simply because of the dedication i have to building up my char.

Master Ki 140
Currenty Fortegunner
Fav is Fighgunner.

As Fighgunner i hit 4000+ with my double sabers. 2000 - 3500 average with various arts.

I could go fortefighter and hit 6000+ with my agito 7/7, but the game is less fun when i do that.

Granted i cant take a hit like a beast can, or shoot as accurate as a cast(even though o rarely hit 0's). Or nuke everything on the screen with a Hadoken look-a-like Lighting bolt (i think it looks like a hadoken, very cool) like a NEUMAN can.

But rest assured, i deal REAL DAMAGE that most dont hit. Not no just knockin them off the feet all the time, and picking them apart slowly. Im talkin about 1 combo or less on any givin enemy.

When im fortegunner, the weakness of being a human start to show, but that doesnt stop me. I keep getting more powerful. Now i can hit 900's with my rifle, and critical 1200's. I still dont understand why i cant attack time my gunz. I could do it in PSO, but thats really the only gripe i have about this game. Besides the JAPANESE being spoon fed everything.

I dont know, there is always something i havnt max out. A axe pa, or something.

I will admit that ive taken a small break because of the lack of new content. But once the master classes are here, i will be back regulary.

PS.... I play on Xbox now. Used to play on pc, but the hacking was too much for me. If you have played the pc version, you know what they can do there. No need to talk about that here.

Anyways peace dudes.

White Midnight
Sep 8, 2008, 08:04 PM
This game is really may be the only online RPG game that you can still do good even if you take some break and play other game (but not too often)
If you start your grind at something like WOW or FFXI , you stuck there forever!! It is endless hell of grind, and it will take over all of your activity time.

This. With 15 minutes, you can do a lot in PSU...find a party, get some decent xpo and mp, maybe even get a rare item, then you can put it down to do other things afk or go to work/class, etc. You can even play another game on the side and still accomplish much in PSU.

It's the fact you can easily pick it up and put it down that brought me here from FFXI. FFXI was your life if you played. If you wanted to get all of the best gear endgame, getting to endgame requiring vast amounts of time itself, you had to sacrifice a lot of time and effort to your linkshell. Some linkshells purposely recruited members from around the world...even forced some of their members to sickly violate their sleeping schedules just to camp a 21-24hr spawn Dragon they weren't even gauranteed to get so they could stay in line for certain items.

No way, nu-uh. Not me.

Cracka_J
Sep 8, 2008, 09:08 PM
Dude seriously, if you wanna spit your opinions on this game dying, do it in the rants forum. I could give 2 shits what someone says on a internet forum about a game I enjoy.

That's my bottom line. I enjoy this game, I enjoy the gameplay, I enjoy the friends I have on it, I enjoy the small community. You wanna quit or tell your buddy to quit over some stupid item hunting, go ahead. I enjoy this game for what it is. If you don't, gtfo.

Delete
Sep 8, 2008, 10:35 PM
. Honestly, I couldn't give two shits about JP PSU

Am i the only one who found that funny?
Anyway, i dont play psu too much. Ive been on halo 3 lately destroying people. PSU is fun in bursts. And only if your getting what you want. By that i mean parum gbr for us gunners. I think the reason this game went to heck is because of this neudaiz event. Now, every techer in the game has no reason not to have a good pallete. What sucks more? When the parum gbr comes out, everyone will have those 12 star gunner weapons too. :sad:

Also, to cracka J.... i think its his opinion. You cant tell him what to do. Rants is for people who like to start stuff..like umm......you. SO ease off and leave him alone.

Juza
Sep 9, 2008, 01:52 AM
I like you. Can we be friends? :D

:D

VOTE THIS MAN INTO OFFICE!!

I'm Juza and I endorse this message.

I just found another reason why PSU = yay. Rifle bullets > 31. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet. But seriously, it's nice that if I get tired of clawing things to death, I can switch things up and pump them full of photons from afar. There's actually a nice amount of variety between the main types.

Cracka_J
Sep 9, 2008, 08:43 AM
Also, to cracka J.... i think its his opinion. You cant tell him what to do. Rants is for people who like to start stuff..like umm......you. SO ease off and leave him alone.

Exactly, it's his opinion. None of what he posted is actual fact, it's all opinion based, non factual information that he's trying to push on a community that still enjoys this game. That's a rant, buddy. Not something that belongs in general.

Also, if there's so many other games that are superior to this, why is he still posting in a forum for the damn game instead of just moving on and playing his superior bs? The answer is simple: to troll. This thread was made simply to stir up emotions of people who still play and enjoy the game, and it's doing the job. That's why I said it should be moved to rants, because none of this is factual information. It's just somebody's opinion who doesn't even play the game anymore (or does very little), and wants to stir up a crowd.

If he wants to do that, whatever, that's on him.
But don't get pissed at me cause I'm calling him out on it.

IcE_JutSu
Sep 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
Friends... Time spent ...and Enjoyment, I mean I usally dont play that much since im in college and studying, and hanging with my buds irl, but the people on there that I run with I've known 4 atleast a year... and ive meet some of them in irl...

thematesV2
Sep 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
I enjoy this game and keep coming back to the PS series because of their fun colorful outlook on sci fi. some may say thats a stupid reason compaired to play style, amount of content, what-not, but i'm so bored of dreamy fantasy middle earth style, and realistic future style is also boring to me. i feel like PS series is a hybrid of disney's Tron, and Blade Runner. it offers up some of the lush environments of a fantasy game, with all the energy based, glowing, hard edged weaps and armor of blade runner, all the while keeping the cool design that they have built on over the last decade. or more.

there are few game series that have built on their own style as much as PS has. from making up their own weapon types (and sticking with them) to color design and in game culture.

thats one of the main reasons I play. I do like the game-play, the rares, and the community, but if all of those things were awesome, and the style was different, I wouldn't play

(this is the same reason I liked HALO, which also sucked, because once the flood came out, it was like glow go by by, hello dreary dank darkness)

RadiantLegend
Sep 9, 2008, 11:00 AM
Just to kill stuff over and over and over and over.......

I like that kinda stuff

ForteGunnerW
Sep 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Ive been playing the game since it started and i think its a good game i dont really care if there was 2 or 3 people playing still good :)

Martine
Sep 10, 2008, 02:44 PM
My online rpg history started with PSO on Dreamcast. (Funny time, but bills become too high so i had no choose then quit.) But after i played PSU demo first time, i get addicted. Iīm on Xbox360. I play for my friends. And i do roleplaying with 2 of my characters i have. :) Itīs so fun. It is a easy game, but iīve played alot of mmorpgīs in my life. WoW, GW, FFXI, SWG, AoC. But still PSU is my game. ^^

xXJoshXx
Sep 10, 2008, 03:22 PM
Ive been playing for past 7 months now and only reason ive been staying is mainly cuz of friends

Akira-san
Sep 10, 2008, 04:21 PM
PSO is one of my fav games and when PSU announced that they will release MAG thats when i went online with PSU lol. i guess i play PSU because its addictive just like PSO lol trying to find the best rares etc

RufuSwho
Sep 10, 2008, 04:25 PM
i find the way the damage numbers pop off the enemys heads to be addicting

love rpg's, but its not as quite as satisfying to upgrade gear in an offline game where there's no one around to say "Hey nice thingy there."

why PSU? Because I have triplets is why.

Any other game that you can log on and join a full party within the first 2 minutes?

run a mission in 20 minutes and log off having actually accomplished something in less than an half-hour?

likely i would be playing a deeper-content game if I had infinite time on my hands

until then, PSU ftw!

Cry0
Sep 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
I dunno, I like the gameplay. And I would like to see my character with it's ultimate equipment, at some point. But i take breaks when it all becomes too much, or when i aqcuire a new more interesting game.

Tulio07
Sep 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
single word, addiction