PDA

View Full Version : Ford Motor Company says FUCK YOU AMERICA !

Indica
Sep 8, 2008, 10:05 PM
This is the worst fucking bullshit Ive ever read.

The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_37/b4099060491065.htm?chan=rss_topStories_ssi_5

Ketchup345
Sep 8, 2008, 10:49 PM
While it is quite sad, there are a few semi-legitimate reasons. The article mentions that building a plant to make the engines would cost $350million, but I wonder how much it would cost to rebuild one of their existing (but closed or soon to close) plants would cost? The article says it would need to sell 350,000 engines a year to be worth it, Ford had 2.9million vehicles sold in 2006 (CNN Money).

Diesel has a problem in that not every gas station offers diesel. Also, diesel is tougher to meet emissions, especially in some Pacific states and the Northeast. There is a cost required to get the engines to meet those standards.

Ford could do well though, I am hearing something about bringing a few European models to the States for 2010 models (I hear European Fords are much better in almost every way than what we have in the States). I am a bit disappointed that Ford no longer makes a Focus hatchback and I think it might be worth considering to let Mazda offer the Sync on some models/packages (Ford owns roughly 33% of Mazda).

Solstis
Sep 8, 2008, 10:57 PM
Despite what you say in the OP, it isn't a malicious move by Ford. Though what appears to be a shortsighted and flawed plan.

I'm pretty sure that Ford could have absorbed the costs if they had tried.

The diesel bit would've been tricky, though.

Blitzkommando
Sep 8, 2008, 11:27 PM
I can buy a gallon of gas right now for $3.41. Diesel at the same station was $4.58. Even with better efficiency it is simply far too expensive to warrant me buying a diesel vehicle, even with the reduced maintenance costs and better milage.

A couple months ago my father and I saw a nice used BMW X3 for about $23,000. For kicks we decided to compare it to the newer hybrid SUVs that get better milage. It would've taken twelve years at $5.00 a gallon to equal their costs even with its 8 miles per gallon less simply due to the cost of the vehicle. I realize it's not a fair comparison in the extent that it was comparing used and new vehicles, but the fact is both were offered that day and either could've been an option for him. My point is that new car sales are down partly because many people realize that they can afford a used gas guzzler and replace it in five years and spend less in the long run than had they purchased a new vehicle with better milage and kept it for a full decade.

Auto makers realize this but also realize that right now hybrids are currently heralded as the best thing to happen to cars in the past fifty years. Ford is correct in their statement. Diesel has the image of being smelly, dirty, slow, and expensive. And, Ford, just like any company is in it to make money. Being that the automotive industry is hurting at the moment, and American makers especially, it makes sense that they will play it more conservatively right now rather than hedge bets on what could easily be a half-billion dollar venture with great risk. Afterall, the $350 million is just the factory, not the workers, materials, management, and government related fees and whatnot.

Broodstar1337
Sep 9, 2008, 01:34 AM
That's cool, Ford.

brb gonna go not drive anything for the next two months and eventually return to my Dodge Neon and never give Ford business anyway.

Sekani
Sep 9, 2008, 01:49 AM
Yes, it is the sworn duty of every corporation to go bankrupt for the good of its consumers.

Seority
Sep 9, 2008, 02:35 AM
Who buys a Ford anyway?
American made? Psssh. I'll take my young asian girl sweatshoped made Asain cars anyday.
;)

Weeaboolits
Sep 9, 2008, 06:29 AM
Ford plans to make a gas-powered version of the Fiesta in Mexico for the U.S.Sounds fine to me.

Ketchup345
Sep 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
Who buys a Ford anyway?
American made? Psssh. I'll take my young asian girl sweatshoped made Asain cars anyday.
;)Joke I assume? Many Japanese and European manufacturers are building plants in the US.

Sounds fine to me.The Fiesta will likely get mileage similar to the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Chevy Aveo, and Nissan Versa (all around 30mpg combined). While it is nice to see them bringing it over, it would have been better to have been released a few years ago.

One problem with gas is that it gets much less mileage than diesel, but puts out less emissions of certain types (newer ones are much better to comply with CA emissions). Example: According to Fueleconomy.gov, the gas powered 6 speed VW Jetta manual 6 speed with turbocharger gets 21/31mpg (on premium). The same VW Jetta with a diesel 6 speed with turbocharger gets 30/41mpg.

beatrixkiddo
Sep 9, 2008, 11:43 AM
Joke I assume? Many Japanese and European manufacturers are building plants in the US.

I don't think she's old enough to even drive, so probably.

CelestialBlade
Sep 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
If you're an automaker not interested in a global market, you're probably out of business. The people who go around parading "AMERICAN MADE ONRY" or "GERMAN CARS BEST ONLY" probably have no business mindset. Ford and other American-BASED automakers have plants all over the world, as do internationally-based manufacturers like Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc. You'd be a fool not to diversify, and while that can mean very poorly made vehicles (cough China cough), it's a sound business decision. Not justifying anything, just stating the way things are.

But anyway.

It's a little silly to label Ford as the "evil empire" here and I'd have to call you blind if you think that other corporations don't do this stuff all the time. Our own government does it. There's various reasons we could debate about all day long, but I assure you it's not because "FORD HATES AMERICA."

Oh, and about Diesel. Yes, it burns better and has ~5-10% better thermal efficiency than gasoline. But I wouldn't call that worth paying nearly a dollar more per gallon, plus the biggest problem with the exhaust is the particulate. No, diesel exhaust isn't necessarily a cloud of insta-cancer like some seem to think it is, but the chemicals in diesel make it tend to form small round particulate after combustion. This leads to more frequent engine maintenance and a higher priority put on keeping your engine clean, plus, emission standards are not going to get any lighter in the coming years. On paper it looks far better than gasoline, but in practice, I wouldn't consider it a viable alternative right now.

There's a lot about that 65mpg we might not know about. It's pretty easy to modify highway mpg a pretty fair amount just by running a little lean. It's an interesting story, something I'll have to research a bit more.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 9, 2008, 05:13 PM
Makes you wonder what people will do without cars. They just seem like they'd be totally helpless.

Then again, the human race has never ceased to surprise me.

Sord
Sep 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
Who buys a Ford anyway?
;)

In this case the car is British made, even if Ford owns it.

Ketchup345
Sep 9, 2008, 05:43 PM
If you're an automaker not interested in a global market, you're probably out of business.One minor point: There are some successful Europe only brands.

Makes you wonder what people will do without cars. They just seem like they'd be totally helpless.

Then again, the human race has never ceased to surprise me.Some areas may do well without cars, especially if we keep mass transit (trains, subway, buses). Major cities come to mind.

In this case the car is British made, even if Ford owns it.The article said the US will get a "Made in Mexico" version.

Weeaboolits
Sep 9, 2008, 11:40 PM
Some areas may do well without cars, especially if we keep mass transit (trains, subway, buses). Major cities come to mind.Or places like Mackinac Island, unless something suddenly changed, there are no cars on that island, horse poop though, be mindful of that while you ride down the road.

Sord
Sep 9, 2008, 11:46 PM
The article said the US will get a "Made in Mexico" version.

But that's the gas version, which kind of takes out what was special about the car, hence why I didn't include it.

ShinMaruku
Sep 10, 2008, 12:31 AM
If you're an automaker not interested in a global market, you're probably out of business. The people who go around parading "AMERICAN MADE ONRY" or "GERMAN CARS BEST ONLY" probably have no business mindset. Ford and other American-BASED automakers have plants all over the world, as do internationally-based manufacturers like Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc. You'd be a fool not to diversify, and while that can mean very poorly made vehicles (cough China cough), it's a sound business decision. Not justifying anything, just stating the way things are.

But anyway.

It's a little silly to label Ford as the "evil empire" here and I'd have to call you blind if you think that other corporations don't do this stuff all the time. Our own government does it. There's various reasons we could debate about all day long, but I assure you it's not because "FORD HATES AMERICA."

Oh, and about Diesel. Yes, it burns better and has ~5-10% better thermal efficiency than gasoline. But I wouldn't call that worth paying nearly a dollar more per gallon, plus the biggest problem with the exhaust is the particulate. No, diesel exhaust isn't necessarily a cloud of insta-cancer like some seem to think it is, but the chemicals in diesel make it tend to form small round particulate after combustion. This leads to more frequent engine maintenance and a higher priority put on keeping your engine clean, plus, emission standards are not going to get any lighter in the coming years. On paper it looks far better than gasoline, but in practice, I wouldn't consider it a viable alternative right now.

There's a lot about that 65mpg we might not know about. It's pretty easy to modify highway mpg a pretty fair amount just by running a little lean. It's an interesting story, something I'll have to research a bit more.

It's also a result of Companies don't want to pay regular wages raising their profits that trickle to them.

And for the longest time Ford made cars in Mexico and Toyota's crazy ass was making cars in the US XD

Seority
Sep 10, 2008, 02:29 AM
I don't think she's old enough to even drive, so probably.

http://www.intternetti.net/~jiri/motivation/objection.jpg

Old enough to drive.
Too poor to buy one! ^^

Yes it was a joke. I dislike Ford cars. European ones are hotter.