PDA

View Full Version : My FSOD Rant

abrader
Jan 31, 2003, 08:39 PM
First I must say I have experienced FSOD. It has not happened during the new double save, so I havent lost any characters, but I did lose items the first few times.

I am sick of seeing peeps try to associate FSOD with connection type. FSOD is a bug in the client. I have FSODed offline. I have no way of seeing any debug output for an application running on the gamecube so I cannot say for sure why it happens. Typically yes it does happen right after warping somewhere. The game will freeze, and you will hear an annoying buzzing sound which replaces all output audio.

The character corruptions have a simple logical answer.

- the PSO client has a bug that causes it to freeze. When this freeze takes place, the only option is to power the console off.

- the "FSOD" as it is called can happen at any time, onnline or offline. It has nothing to do with the servers, data being recieved from the servers, ping times, connection speeds, etc... It is in essence just an application crash. From my personal experiences(i play offline allot, i like it) i have FSOD 2wice offline, and 3 times online after several several hours of gameplay.

- Any time the gamecube is powered off, while the PSO client is writing data to the character file, the file is corrupted.

- Your chance of getting a corrupted character file offline because of FSOD is very low because there is no save that takes place while the client is in the operational mode that it usually crashes in.

Because of this, I think SEGAs responses to the corrupted character file problem are lame.

Their client has a bug which causes it to freeze. I am sure they are aware of this by now. The new server initiated save increases your chances of getting corrupted character file as the save takes place evey time you join a team which is when the FSOD likely will occur. Previously your chances of getting corrupted character data were much slimmer as it would only likely happen if the power blinked off during a save, or you were just a dumbass all red eyed from playing and powered it off yourself while it was saving.

Because I feel strongly that SEGA is aware of the client FSOD bug, the server initiated save should have never been implimented. SEGA does not have the luxory of choosing that as an option for combatting item dupers, because their client made it thru QA without the FSOD bug being corrected.

I think that SEGAs response of "We dont know what is causing this to happen" is pathetic.

Because the team that manages the PSO servers obviously has no concern for these matters, I have hearby cancelled my HL.

-email I sent to SEGA-

SEGA, I was never a victim of this bug. Get a QA process in place better than that of the software embarassment known as Midway Games, and ill think of playing your next online game. Since you released a product with a common bug, you should realize that your server initiated save solution is simply not an option to counter cheating. Your dev teams obvious incompetence proves to me that you truly do not know how to run an online gaming operation. The FSOD bug didnt turn me off, your continued stupidity did. Hopefully MS can manage a PSO server farm properly.

Im so pissed that I searched all over for for the GameCube Broadband adaptor to experience this crap. Guess I will think 2wice next time.

P.S. Panzer Dragoon ORTA rox, try to stick with something you are good at.

ABDUR101
Jan 31, 2003, 08:48 PM
Whoo, this is a great candidate for the Rants forum. =)

*moves to appropriate forum*

abrader
Jan 31, 2003, 08:50 PM
On 2003-01-31 17:48, ABDUR101 wrote:
Whoo, this is a great candidate for the Rants forum. =)

*moves to appropriate forum*

heh

thanks. i never noticed this forum down here :>

I just now finally decided i was pissed about this stuff....