PDA

View Full Version : Speed Runs?

Transgamergurl
Sep 15, 2008, 01:48 PM
Lately I have noticed a trend of people wanting to do speed runs. Now I know this is nothing new but I just want some feedback and opinions on this.
I'm going to blame MAG and GBR for this newer style of speed running, but how do we define speed runs? In the earlier days of PSU we did these speed runs as well. But my reason for this disscussion, is no longer is it prioritiy to kill every monster spawn and get the S rank. Now we skip monster spawns to get to the end boss/ boxes as fast as we can.
I was in a party this past weekend and this person joined our party. Immeditaly asked if we were doing speed runs. The party leader said "no" and this guy said we were all " noobs" and just left the party. Plus I have noted that most of these people like this ID numbers are above 80k.
So is everyone in such a hurry these days that getting S ranks is no long a concern? I remember doing Bruce and Lab recovery trying to get the fastest time while still getting an S rank. Plus we were further handicapped with lower stats, lvls, and weapons and armor.
So would you rather brag you do missions fast and get and S rank, or just rush thru as fast as you can with no concern for rank?

Noblewine
Sep 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
This probably started when TA was added in MAG. Speed Runs is probably what everybody will be doing for the time being before the next event adds a TA (Time attack). I'm mostly just leveling stuff or rerun old missions for fun.

Turb0
Sep 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
In the .00005% of the time that I do speed runs, I usually don't worry about rank.

kyle21
Sep 15, 2008, 02:01 PM
Well now days most people don't need the EXP or PA frags. But the benefit of doing speed runs on Neudaiz atm is PF, the quicker you do the run the more chances you will have in a hr to get PF. If your going for GBR points it makes it that much faster to skip mobs that don't need to be killed.. And if your doing speed runs on WB the best drops are in the end boxes, so why not just go fast?

As for the guy calling you a noob that's kinda dumb, most parties have 'Speed Runs' in the title or description, he should of known better.

I've been doing speed runs WAY before MAG or GBR came out.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 15, 2008, 02:02 PM
They just want the boss drop's at the end

Simple

Along with Phantom Fissure

Rank is no concerned

Unless it's showing off and be like OMFG LOOK WE DID THIS IN 2 MINS FUCK YEAH WE FUCKING ARE AWESOME PLEASE PRAISE US WE ARE GODS

It is for Drops and for a rare mission to appear

and at times

E-peen

And most parties should actually say Speed

Which is likely the case

Or mob skipping

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hmmm I do see what you mean though.

When i do(which doesnt happen much) speed runs... i do the following:
1.Get a group of people can kill any monster in the mission as fast as possible.
2.Run the mission as fast as possible and ONLY kill the monsters that open up gates....

I sometimes do option 1 when im leveling my new char(lvl 32) so i guess those im "speed leveling" if u will. I mean there isnt anything i want on White Beast B so..............yea lol

Most of the time i only see option 2 done when Time is the key(which makes sense anyway) or where there is a boss. Which is why in GBR, in my expereience....most of the SRs are in white beast....

But to make my statement short....i normally only do speed runs unless im leveling aka speed leveling XD

Darius_Drake
Sep 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
I thought the chances of finding the rare map increased the longer it took you to do the map (up to 30 minutes). In fact if you do a mission in less than 5 minutes it was stated that you have no chance at a rare map. I guess I would understand if they were trying to quickly get their GBR percentage up as you only need a B rank on a mission to get all the points from a run.

Darius_Drake
Sep 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
Hmmm I do see what you mean though.

When i do(which doesnt happen much) speed runs... i do the following:
1.Get a group of people can kill any monster in the mission as fast as possible.
2.Run the mission as fast as possible and ONLY kill the monsters that open up gates....

I sometimes do option 1 when im leveling my new char(lvl 32) so i guess those im "speed leveling" if u will. I mean there isnt anything i want on White Beast B so..............yea lol

Most of the time i only see option 2 done when Time is the key(which makes sense anyway) or where there is a boss. Which is why in GBR, in my expereience....most of the SRs are in white beast....

But to make my statement short....i normally only do speed runs unless im leveling aka speed leveling XD

Actually I found myself in a group that was doing the whole Neudaiz GBR route using option 2. They were just trying to get their boost percentage up as fast as possible so they could hurry up and get into some 250% - 300% boosted teams. I normally don't speed run but you know what they say, when in rome...

Cracka_J
Sep 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
IMO, the rewards for doing speed runs (quicker rarz, pf,etc.) vastly outweigh a few mps, frags, and some extra meseta. Actually, you can factor out that meseta part because if you're doin speed runs and picking up the meseta drops, you'll be making more then the mission rewards would give.

So what it boils down to is in demand rares vs. mps & frags.

I think a lot more people will want them rarz while they can still get a drop boost.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 15, 2008, 02:45 PM
I thought the chances of finding the rare map increased the longer it took you to do the map (up to 30 minutes)

This has been confirmed by Ruby and other GM'S

But people want boss drops

Such as in White beast

So they will likely be going for speed

Rather then well more min's

kyle21
Sep 15, 2008, 02:48 PM
On average a WB speed run with 6 people is just about 10min. Depending if they are going for speed and not knocking mobs all over the room >.<

I'd rather have 6 runs per hr with chance of a good boss drop apposed to just sitting in a mission to get a 'slightly' higher chance of PF.

Alastor_Haven
Sep 15, 2008, 02:49 PM
^ Agreed

Dark Emerald EXE
Sep 15, 2008, 03:10 PM
Its kinda fun since when im looking for PF i rarely get it but when im not not..... i get it :-o

Darius_Drake
Sep 15, 2008, 03:32 PM
Its kinda fun since when im looking for PF i rarely get it but when im not not..... i get it :-o

I think there are some people at ST making sure we only get it when we are not looking for it. When I am looking for it using one of my alts (to take advantage of the experience boost) I never find it. Let me look for some items or just plain do some mass killings with my main character (maxed lvl 140) that is the only time I tend to find it. Mind you I am not complaining about finding it, just wish I could find it with all my characters instead of just my main.

Para
Sep 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
If you want PA frags, reward etc, you wouldn't mob skip but for most people they don't care that much for PA frags anymore so they just skip anyways and aim for boss drops like Alastor said.

If you want a rare mission, you may be better off just afking in a mission for 30 minutes then complete the run.

Ezodagrom
Sep 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
I kinda hate speed runs...spamming/doing a mission as fast as possible while skipping almost everything we can is kinda making something boring even more boring...>.>
I think I prefer to just sit in my room/random lobby (or even not log in at all) instead of doing speed runs ^^;

Majarra
Sep 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
Really depends on my mood. Now im trying to do speed runs,compare times, and when fighmaster comes out try it again. Ive been running speed runs last time i was playing and i must say its quite annoying when the whole team runs to get 1 key then you go ahead and get owned.

ErtaiClou
Sep 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
I think this has come about by pure accident on Sega Teams part.

-Grade of B or higher gives GBR points: Designed so you don't have to be part of the party at the beginning to receive points. You can jump in even if the party is a few blocks in and still recieive points. The problem is that to reach +50%, there is a huge jump in the point requisite at the end. The points between jumps should be better spaced so that people don't say, "must be this high to join."

-Not enough PA frag recycling: Not only do most people have the PAs they want, they have also maxed out their stockpile and storage with them. Until the new exchange missions come out, there's only one other option; sell to npc for 100 meseta. And thanks to a miswording in the MAG exchange mission, you appearantly cannot trade frags for gold weapon badges. The result is no need for S rank(beside mp which is terrible and trumped by rare missions).

So people are resulting to what they know best. Quantity>Quality.

gundam0079
Sep 15, 2008, 05:06 PM
lol least its not like ttf back in pso, doing run for the least kills and best items was sooo hard......

Inazuma
Sep 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
after you have maxed your type and gotten all your PAs, its best to disregard the mission reward and run to the boss asap, skipping as many monsters as possible. thats just how the game was designed. it doesnt take long at all to max your type and get every PA, so its pretty accurate to call someone a "noob" for wanting to kill every monster. they are either a beginner to the game and need the frags, or they are just wasting time for no reason. btw, if you are after character exp, its best to skip monsters and rush to the boss as well.

just wanna add a little story of something that happened the other day. i was playing in a random party on the jp ver, doing the event mission. i saw some players attacking monsters that can be skipped, so i informed em. one of em said they didnt want to skip, so i let em know that we still get S rank reward even if we skip monsters, but the party leader kicked me right away >_> oh well, saves me the trouble of leaving.

youthisoverrated
Sep 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
ah i was the leader. i'm trying to lvl classes and get pa frags. that made me so mad i didn't play for the rest of the night. it's rude. if he wanted a speed run he should have joined a party that was a speed run or made his own freaking party. still pisses me too

LovelyCorinn
Sep 15, 2008, 09:49 PM
Speed runs DO NOT help you get phantom fissure, if you clear a mission under 5 mins you will get nothing, actually your supposed to take your time and play as normal, a time of 15-20 mins is what got all the parties i was in phantom fissure, so to all those out there breaking their necks with these lame speed runs you can relax it wont get you anything.

mvffin
Sep 15, 2008, 10:29 PM
Speed Runs are better for XP and MP as well. XP obtained from 1 minute of boss killing more than outweighs a good 5-6 mins of loitering around and killing everything. I'm sure MP ends up pretty close if not faster on speed runs.

Only reason to not do speed runs is for the slightly higher chance of getting PF, and there's no real way to calculate chances of that with full runs vs speed runs.

So I say Speed Runs 4 Lyyyfe

Para
Sep 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
Speed Runs are better for XP and MP as well. XP obtained from 1 minute of boss killing more than outweighs a good 5-6 mins of loitering around and killing everything. I'm sure MP ends up pretty close if not faster on speed runs.

Only reason to not do speed runs is for the slightly higher chance of getting PF, and there's no real way to calculate chances of that with full runs vs speed runs.

So I say Speed Runs 4 Lyyyfe

Does it make that big of a difference? >_>

Alastor_Haven
Sep 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
Speed runs DO NOT help you get phantom fissure, if you clear a mission under 5 mins you will get nothing, actually your supposed to take your time and play as normal, a time of 15-20 mins is what got all the parties i was in phantom fissure, so to all those out there breaking their necks with these lame speed runs you can relax it wont get you anything.

-.-

A 10 min run VS a 20 min run

Isn't a big HUGE HOLY FUCKING SHIT difference
Say it's a 1% chance

It's not going to jump by like 70%+ or so

Chances are

You just increased chances of PF by like lets say...

''Slightly''

Cmon

Regardless of your time

You will get a chance of PF

And if it's a True PUBLIC uni 2 (PS2/PC) run

And there is SIX people

pfft

A decent chance I say

Back to back even

So....

Yeah

I'm done

Soukosa
Sep 16, 2008, 01:25 AM
I've seen more rare missions show up from doing quick runs while soloing than doing large parties that take awhile. The additional party member thing likely helps alot with getting a rare mission but the time thing is over rated. Likely was there to compensate for those that take their time going through a mission or a longer mission. In the end, they're likely roughly the same chance.

With speed runs, it all comes down to personal opinion. I've known some people that love to push it while the vast majority would rather just take their time and be socialable in the party. Whatever someone enjoys doing the most is what they should be doing. Being called a "noob" for not doing speed runs just makes that person guilty of that for not honoring someone else's likes in this game. This is more of a casual cooperative game afterall, not some highly serious competitive one.

Midori, I'm happy you got kicked, you deserved it :roll:

youthisoverrated
Sep 16, 2008, 01:31 AM
ok speed runs are pointless unless it has something to do with boosting gbr drop rate. cus even if you get a c you still get the full points. other than that it's up to the party leader. i had nothing about any kind of speed run. i was doing s2 cus wb has good mp. plain and simple. if someone wants to do freaking speed runs then join a speed run party or make one other than that shut up. exactly why i hate 360 servers.

Inazuma
Sep 16, 2008, 01:32 AM
With speed runs, it all comes down to personal opinion. I've known some people that love to push it while the vast majority would rather just take their time and be socialable in the party. Whatever someone enjoys doing the most is what they should be doing. Being called a "noob" for not doing speed runs just makes that person guilty of that for not honoring someone else's likes in this game. This is more of a casual cooperative game afterall, not some highly serious competitive one.

Midori, I'm happy you got kicked, you deserved it :roll:

i let the leader know that he could skip the monsters and still get s rank reward. that doesnt sound like a bad thing imo. i wasnt being mean about it at all either. honestly, if you think someone should be kicked for giving helpful advice like that, you have a lot to learn. has anyone ever helped you before? i hope you made sure to kick em for it :P

Powder Keg
Sep 16, 2008, 01:34 AM
Most people just wanna head straight for the boss rares. I personally have no problem with it, I'm fine with whatever the leader feels like doing, and if not, I just leave without complaint.

Midori, I'm happy you got kicked, you deserved it

If he were running ahead already after the leader said they didn't want to, that'd be one thing. But this is a really stupid thing to say.

Inazuma
Sep 16, 2008, 01:50 AM
Most people just wanna head straight for the boss rares. I personally have no problem with it, I'm fine with whatever the leader feels like doing, and if not, I just leave without complaint.

If he were running ahead already after the leader said they didn't want to, that'd be one thing. But this is a really stupid thing to say.
i was kicked so fast i didnt have a chance to run ahead. if i wasnt kicked, i would have left on my own. dont wanna play w/ someone who trys to go slow on purpose. id rather party w/ players who understand that there is no reason at all to kill those monsters. exp, meseta, items, MP? better off skipping em in every case.

R2D6battlebot
Sep 16, 2008, 04:50 AM
after you have maxed your type and gotten all your PAs, its best to disregard the mission reward and run to the boss asap, skipping as many monsters as possible. thats just how the game was designed. it doesnt take long at all to max your type and get every PA, so its pretty accurate to call someone a "noob" for wanting to kill every monster. they are either a beginner to the game and need the frags, or they are just wasting time for no reason. btw, if you are after character exp, its best to skip monsters and rush to the boss as well.

The scientific PSU community will hereby consider this as FACT, any further argument on this matter should be considered nothing more than a creation myth.

But seriously, there is absolutely no reason to not skip monsters in ANY quest, the only exception I can find is if those monsters can drop something that someone wants (nobody wants [B] Creawand)

stukasa
Sep 16, 2008, 11:14 AM
I don't do speed runs unless I'm hunting rare enemies like Rappies or Jaggos, otherwise I take my time and kill everything. It's more fun for me that way and it gives me more chances to level my PAs. Plus, I do a fixed number of runs per day so skipping stuff doesn't help me.

Transgamergurl
Sep 16, 2008, 12:27 PM
Boy did I open up a debate. ><
Personally I like running thru missions quick, but on the same note I want to get the best rank and the fastest time. So from what I understand a speed run at white beast takes about 8 mins, while a casual run takes about 20. But my party can S rank and do on about 15 min. Personally its feels more complete to me getting the S rank, even if I have no use for PA frags or MP.
Is there a right way? No every way is the right way. Even if a join a random party I'll run the mission how the party leader wants too. And if I don't agree with it I'll finish the mission then give my thanks and say goodbye no harm done. ^^

DreXxiN
Sep 16, 2008, 12:50 PM
there is absolutely no reason to not skip monsters in ANY quest

There's absolutely no reason to skip half the posts in ANY thread that explain thoroughly why speed running can be a good idea.

youthisoverrated
Sep 16, 2008, 03:07 PM
Boy did I open up a debate. ><
Personally I like running thru missions quick, but on the same note I want to get the best rank and the fastest time. So from what I understand a speed run at white beast takes about 8 mins, while a casual run takes about 20. But my party can S rank and do on about 15 min. Personally its feels more complete to me getting the S rank, even if I have no use for PA frags or MP.
Is there a right way? No every way is the right way. Even if a join a random party I'll run the mission how the party leader wants too. And if I don't agree with it I'll finish the mission then give my thanks and say goodbye no harm done. ^^

that is how it should be done. if you don't like how the leader runs the missions then finish the mission and leave. not sit there and call that person a noob and leave a block in. most people on the 360 have no edicate with joining parties. somethings they do is just plain out rude.

seph_monkey
Sep 16, 2008, 03:42 PM
i know what you mean i have been only finding parties doing speed runs or have started parties where all people want to do is speed

i personally dont like speed runs since the mission doesnt really take that long to finish

Tetsaru
Sep 16, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think this is just a sign of an increasing hardcore gamer playerbase, and Sega's lack of effort to provide them with longer, more satisfying and teamwork-oriented mission runs (although the GBR % helps with that in some ways). The more intense players are always in a hurry to get the newest, best stuff (myself included), and are thus looking for ways to get it as quickly as possible.

I think Sega just needs to implement more full team-friendly missions, that actually take some effort to get through - monster levels/stats need to be MUCH higher, no skippable mobs, and no shitty boss that dies within 10 seconds. Afterwards, make some good shit drop from him - none of these Star Atomizers or Ohboyee Truffles that always seem to pop up, but at least something like Walnas, or gemstones, so at least they'll be in circulation when you actually DO get the boards you're after, and prices for them won't be so ridiculously inflated. That way, the people who want the best equipment actually have to WORK for it, and will most likely have the things to make it too, instead of doing a mission 50 gajillion times a day and relying on luck, which I'm sure no one likes doing. =/

WhiteKnight01
Sep 17, 2008, 03:55 AM
i agree with Tetsaru that its pointless having missions that sega know most people will just skip as much of it as possible, i too want missions where everything has to be killed and more teamwork is involved like the old days, i sometimes go onto the demo just to play like the old days and hope thers no mg glitchers. but on the speed run thing if the leader wants a speed run post that this mission is a speed run so people wont be joining and leaving the whole time

Eleina
Sep 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
Once your caracter & gear are near maxed out, when none of your friends are online and you want to play PSU : What else is there to do?

Zarode
Sep 17, 2008, 12:59 PM
Once your caracter & gear are near maxed out, when none of your friends are online and you want to play PSU : What else is there to do?

Play with randoms, show off, and make them cry. Duh.

DreXxiN
Sep 17, 2008, 01:08 PM
Play with randoms, show off, and make them cry. Duh.

This.

Christmas
Sep 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
Depends on the run for myself. Something like Hill of Spores and Dancing Birds I don't mind skipping stuff. If it's White Beast (most of the Speed runs are at WB anyway), or any other easy mission, I'd consider that pretty weak for a full or near full party.