PDA

View Full Version : I don't like Ike

Blitzkommando
Sep 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ike decided to pull a funny and made the eastern mid-west bend over and take it. Hard. I'm just glad we didn't get rain with the storm or else we would've not only had electricity out everywhere, but a few feet of water to go with it. I've had terrible sleep the last few nights as well making me even more short-tempered with the whole situation. But, eh, overall I'm just irritated I'm currently unable to finish the jobs I had set up for this week until the power returns.

Overall, I'm actually pleased with how quickly repairs are going underway considering how many other states other than Ohio got hammered even excluding Texas which took the brunt of the storm.

inb4 "LOL AT LEAST UR NOT IN TEXAS SO U SHULDN COMPLANE" as being in Ohio we're not quite used to getting a tropical storm all up in our face, let alone with hurricane force gusts. I'm pretty sure that goes for Kentucky as well as all the other states hit that are 700+ miles from the Gulf/Atlantic.

I'm just chuckling a bit at how this is going to go down as the worst weather event for the Miami Valley, and probably Ohio, in the last century by even surpassing the Flood of 1913 in damage, though thankfully not deaths. Well, as long as you don't consider the morons running their generators from inside their garages.

Kylie
Sep 16, 2008, 12:42 PM
Ike and Gustav both brought me bad weather, so I feel ya. Hurricanes suck tbh.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 16, 2008, 01:44 PM
Ike is the cheapest character Hurricane. :disapprove:

CelestialBlade
Sep 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
The remnants of Ike brought 70-80mph wind gusts to Kentucky on Sunday, and we've still got around 200,000 people without power here. It's a huge mess.

Weeaboolits
Sep 16, 2008, 03:24 PM
It was windy as hell, but there wasn't any damage in my area as far as I've seen, I was expecting for at least the internet or power to go out with it being as windy as it was, but it didn't.

Blitzkommando
Sep 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
It seems my praise for the cleanup effort was quite warranted. I come home from college to find internet and power are both up and running though I suspect that living on the same lines as the schools probably had a lot to do with that. There are still about 180,000 in the Dayton area without power, down from about 300,000 on Sunday. Statewide I'm not sure how much more are still without power but I imagine it could still easily be in the order of over a million. It really gives me an appreciation to the people down in the Gulf Coast though as even two days was quite an experience compared to the usual power outages of about 10 minutes at most.

Sidney
Sep 16, 2008, 09:46 PM
It's crazy... I'm in Texas, 3 hours away from the coast, and all we got were some moderate rains.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
I'm wating for the remains to travel to our end. *West coast/Arizona*

Dragwind
Sep 16, 2008, 11:12 PM
I'm still pretty worried for some of my gaming buddies over there in Texas. Haven't heard from them since then.

CelestialBlade
Sep 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
It's crazy... I'm in Texas, 3 hours away from the coast, and all we got were some moderate rains.
And thank god it missed you too, I was worried :P

Drag: I have a friend in the Houston area who just got power back today, and says there's still plenty without it. That's probably all it is.

Leviathan
Sep 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ike passed through were I live.
I got 40mph wind, &the day was sunny.

Ike looks to have picked up speed.

Seority
Sep 17, 2008, 03:15 AM
Quite a few people had problems with wind in the southern US.
So I heard. I was just cloudy and rainy up here in WI.

Broodstar1337
Sep 17, 2008, 08:05 PM
Texas prepared themselves because they knew they'd get no sympathy from Ike because he floods for his friends.

Sharkyland
Sep 19, 2008, 10:25 PM
I've never seen such a huge hurricane such as Ike before, but I'm glad you guys made it out alright. We, Marylanders, get hurricanes from time to time, but mostly the southern states below us seem to get hit the hardest before it reaches us.