PDA

View Full Version : Clean up after yourselves!

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 18, 2008, 09:17 AM
Ok, so it's only been 2 weeks since I've been here in Japan, but I would like to say a few things about a certain gripe I have here. I live in one of four of the school's dorm house for International Students, and this is the biggest one with the most people, and the one in which you can drink alcohol. But that's not the problem. The one thing I hate about this house is that some people just won't clean up their own mess. I see people putting things in the wrong garbage can (for example, they put a banana peal in the plastic garbage can), I see some people use a rice cooker and don't clean up the rice from the pan or whatever, leaving a mess of hard rice getting stuck on to it, making it a total pain to clean it up. I also see empty bottles and cans, remains of food, and other stuff still on the tables. Not to mention that some people will sometimes play beer pong, sometimes spill the beer, and not clean up (ok, they're prolly drunk, but ya ._.)

Also, there's a typhoon coming over here to Osaka. RAGE!

Other than that though, I love it here in Japan.

thunder-ray
Sep 18, 2008, 09:36 AM
Damn that sucks. Nothing like living with a bunch of people that dont clean up their mess.

Toadthroat
Sep 18, 2008, 12:23 PM
So you're in college...And you're complaining about messy students?

Yup.

Sord
Sep 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
sounds like if you take away their food and drink it might be solved, or just avoid the cafeteria

Broodstar1337
Sep 18, 2008, 05:27 PM
It gets worse once you get out in the real world.

I work Air Force aircraft maintenance and every so often we walk our ramp for stuff like missing tools and hardware. I can't count the number of times I've seen sunflower seed shells, dip packs, and so much other shit that's been in someone's mouth. I mean we don't exactly have a walking trash can on the flightline every waking moment of our lives, but that's no excuse to be a slob everywhere you go.

I was one of those guys in high school who would walk into a stall where someone left piss trickles on the seat and a nice big shit in the toilet and thought "man that's fucking disgusting". It's not even knowing how to clean up after yourself; this is basic potty training that people are still fucking up even when you get into the military.

There are just nasty people in the world and they're obviously not just gonna come clean by themselves. At least you can put a foot in your roommate's asses to get them to clean up...

beatrixkiddo
Sep 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
I went into a stall at college and someone had thrown up in the toilet, and got it all over the seat as well, and didn't clean any of it up.

Hurrah :D

astuarlen
Sep 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
I sympathize, but at least it's not biohazardous waste. Call me when you find turds or used tampons in the shower stalls.
I do not understand what goes on in some people's minds!

Sord may also be onto something. No food = no dorm/house/roommates = no mess.

Might also want to consult Billy Mays for his advice on the best cleaning products.

inb4callmewhenyoufindusedsyringesandbabiesinthebat hroom

Kylie
Sep 18, 2008, 06:26 PM
Some people are inconsiderate, and I can relate because I was raised to hate filth.

Inazuma
Sep 18, 2008, 07:10 PM
dont forget about cigarette butts. its not uncommon at all for those bastard smokers to just toss their cig butts onto the nearby ground. assholes...

smoking is such a lazy way to commit suicide. please do us all a favor and shoot yourself in the head w/ a gun. its much more efficient.

Chuck_Norris
Sep 18, 2008, 07:13 PM
dont forget about cigarette butts. its not uncommon at all for those bastard smokers to just toss their cig butts onto the nearby ground. assholes...

smoking is such a lazy way to commit suicide. please do us all a favor and shoot yourself in the head w/ a gun. its much more efficient.

This is possibly the first time I've heard Inazuma make sense. :wacko:

Sord
Sep 18, 2008, 07:53 PM

seems more like it would make a bigger mess (and stain to boot) all at once rather than over time

Rust
Sep 18, 2008, 10:25 PM
Even without mentioning you are in an International Students dorm, I could have guessed you were obviously not sharing living space with some japanese people.
I shared a Guest House with many of them for a whole month, and they all seemed pretty clean and respectful of the common living spaces. Seriously, some of my friends were definately the dirtiest of the GH. :disapprove:

I'm not the cleanest person myself (lots of stuff is lying on the floor of my room at the moment, for instance), but I also hate finding bits of food, soiled dishes and various liquid stains in the common spaces. The GH was quite nice for that purpose, we even had three pairs of plastic chopsticks shared among all the about 20 residents of the House, and it really wasn't a problem since everyone was cleaning his dishes once he had finished his meal.
Same for the rice cooker, everyone was cleaning it or giving leftovers to anyone who might want it. We just found a whole bunch of cooked rice in it once, and since we were needing the rice cooker, we pulled the rice out in a recipient ; the guy who had cooked it went to get it like three hours later because he had forgotten it. :lol: But we never had anything like hard old rice stuck in the machine or so...

Indica
Sep 19, 2008, 03:16 AM
That's why I like living alone. I dont have to care about other people making a mess or having to clean up after others.

Broodstar1337
Sep 19, 2008, 04:39 AM

Who wants to live to be 90 anyway?

Anduril
Sep 19, 2008, 12:01 PM
That's why I have never, ever considered moving into the dorms on campus. A friend who lived on campus brought me into the dorms once, and I have to say my desire to stay away from them is not ill founded. At least living at home, though 15 miles from campus, I can actually keep my living area in good condition. Though living with my father and sister puts me on edge because they tend not to clean up after themselves until hours after they made the initial mess; but I have remedies for that.

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 20, 2008, 08:49 PM
Well, there are actually a few Japanese students living in the dorm house, although they had to sign up for it and such. But yeah, kind of disappointed that out of the 4 houses available, the one I live in doesn't really have as cute Japanese girls as the other three. But other than that, there are still SOME of us who clean up after ourselves, so yeah, it's all good. But ya, what I like about living in a dorm is that it's so easy to walk to campus and back. But it does take a while to go to the super market.

Rust
Sep 20, 2008, 09:28 PM
Well, I went there only for holidays, so no campus for me. But the Guest House was well placed : game arcades, supermarket, restaurants, park, stadium, shops and temple, all reachable in about 5 mins of walk, that was pretty neat. I stayed in Saitama, btw.

stukasa
Sep 22, 2008, 03:18 PM
I totally know what you mean! >.< I really hate inconsiderate people who leave a mess wherever they go. If they want to do that in their own room, go ahead. But when they're in a public place like a bathroom or a kitchen where other people will be, clean up after yourself! It's my policy to always leave a place "as clean or cleaner than how I found it," but sometimes I think I'm in the minority. :/

Shiro_Ryuu
Sep 25, 2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, the thing is, that we have to share some of the stuff such as the frying pans, rice cookers, etc, so when they don't clean up that stuff, it just makes things harder on us who want to use those. I was kind of considering doing a homestay with a host family, but I decided dorm in the end. I might choose dorms next semester, but I'll probably choose a different house, one in which you're not allowed to drink alcohol in.

Shiro_Ryuu
Oct 19, 2008, 09:42 AM
Well, there was one time when I saw a cup of orange juice outside for days, and I started seeing some form of living... thing inside. The Japanese students who live here and some of the other International Students clean up, such as myself but a lot of them just ruin the place.

Also, beer pong is played very frequently here, and that's not exactly what I would call sanitary since who knows what's been on that floor on which the ball will fall down on very often, and that same ball will fall into a cup of beer which someone's gonna have to drink. :/