PDA

View Full Version : You know what, America? I don't wanna vote!

Broodstar1337
Sep 19, 2008, 03:19 AM
I'm just about to close out my second month in Iraq and enter my final month. So after that's all said and done, I'll be walking straight into a distance pissing contest between another giant douche and another turd sandwich that'll be running my home (straight into the ground) for four more years.

I don't know, fellas. Maybe my outlook on what bumblefuck becomes president was tarnished ever since my government has been screwing the pooch as long as I've even given a damn about what my nation's leaders have been taking care of business. Or maybe it's just the media taking a shit all over what might end up being the godsend the United States have needed for the past eight years to finally make everything right by putting both Barack Obama and John McCain in a negative light every moment they're reporting news...

Wait a minute, it's probably not that since I've been convincing myself "I can finally vote now after all these years; I can finally make a difference in my country" only a little after the last douche and turd fought tooth and nail over the fate of the world, just narrowly missing a voting window because I wasn't quite 18 at the time.

I don't know what kind of TV you guys are watching so lemme describe for you what the Armed Forces Network is cramming down my throat. We got 12 channels of regular TV programming, but during those juicy commercial breaks the homeland treats you guys, the AFN treats it's military viewers to constant safety briefs (all of which are completely fucking worthless in motherslapping Iraq), assorted army jobs and services, and voting commercials.

Now these voting commercials bring my blood to a boil. I've seen montages of people at voting booths, one of those commercials where there's fifty people saying the same message and they only get five words each, and commercials that have the gall to tell me "Be Smart, Do Your Part, Vote". There's even a commercial that says "If you're not the one casting the deciding vote, a guy in a clown costume will do it instead". To this I say to the retards who thought this commercial was worth anyone's air time; even if this election wasn't entirely decided by the Electoral College, that clown was gonna vote anyway, so the election would end in a draw. But that won't ever be the case for a presidential election.

There have been elections in American history where decisions were made based on one single vote and people like to hammer the whole "How much does one vote matter" and then rattle off on stuff like the annexing of Texas. Out of all of US history, all but one of those votes have been decided by a small number of people and not by a mass of common people like you or me running down to a voting booth and putting in our two cents. America would pretty much have to try to deadlock this election in order to prove me wrong right now, but with so much at stake in this election, nobody is gonna sacrifice what they believe just because "Oh Broodstar is talking shit on the internet; let's make this happen".

The fact of the matter is I would love to be the difference maker in our country. The way people talk about voting is that everyone can make the difference. No, not everyone can make a difference. What about the people that vote for the loser? What about all the people who weren't that one guy to cast a vote to tip his candidate over the other one? What about the Electoral College? If elections are supposed to be about who the American people want leading their nation, George W. Bush would've never been put into power in the first place.

Brb mortars

Nai_Calus
Sep 19, 2008, 04:12 AM
The only reason I voted at all in the '04 election was to cancel out my mother's vote. I didn't even really like Kerry, I just voted for him because I knew damn well my mother was going to vote for Bush. And even then I just voted for the sake of cancelling out my mother, considering that at the time I lived in a red county in a red state.

This time around I once again don't really give a dick about Obama, and actually find him creepy. Once again I live in a red county, though it's a blue state this time, but still, it's not going to make a damned bit of difference.

The only reason I'm registered to vote at all is because of the disgusting proposition 8, which I oppose on the fronts of 'this is complete bullshit' and 'the state constitution isn't the place for a bunch of bigoted jackasses to be making moral judgements'. That one's a state one, and a majority vote thing, so unlike the presidential election it's not entirely pissing into the wind.

But ugh, god, voting for president I just don't even fucking care about anymore.

Solstis
Sep 19, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'll mostly be voting to stop an Amendment here in Florida, but I have a feeling that the election is already rigged with lolChristianright voting e-masse.

Y'know, to save people from themselves or something.

Outrider
Sep 19, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm sure that nobody wants to hear this, but hey, I'm in the mood:

What if everybody felt that way?

Sidney
Sep 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
I feel you on this one - I live in one of the reddest states in America. Thanks to the electoral college, my vote basically gets tossed down the toilet, as it gets swallowed up in a sea of red. (Trust me when I say that there is no chance of the tide turning blue here in Texas.) I will still vote and do my part, but sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it. I really dislike the electoral college system. Your vote really doesn't make a difference if it's against the majority, even if it could make a difference in the popular vote, which sadly, doesn't matter.

RufuSwho
Sep 19, 2008, 01:52 PM
it is good that people who do not want to vote stay away from the polls

CelestialBlade
Sep 19, 2008, 02:01 PM
Our founding fathers pretty much set this whole thing up to keep the public from having too much of a voice. It's discouraged me from ever wanting to vote. And I still don't feel changing a president makes as big an impact as everyone would like to believe.

Kylie
Sep 19, 2008, 02:17 PM
I'm surprised to see that CNN has Louisiana listed as a leaning state. The majority of the state is conservative with the New Orleans area being the only area that usually votes liberally. My area is more of the swing area: voted for Bush in 2004 and Gore in 2000. I guess it's not shocking though seeing that Bush only won it by like 57% in 2004, but I do consider it a "red state" and expect it to go for McCain (yes, all 9 electoral votes!!!). I still vote though. I feel like I wouldn't be appreciating my right to vote if I didn't, even if I know it doesn't matter. I was raised to though; my mom used to tell me that I didn't deserve to complain unless I voiced my opinion and voted. :-?

Kent
Sep 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
So far, I'm leaning toward exercising my right to choose not to vote, simply due to what's available. Obama seems to be lacking in experience (despite leaking charisma out of his ears), and McCain's running mate is insane enough to not belong in any position of more power than, say, managing a McDonald's.

Unfortunately, one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Randomness
Sep 19, 2008, 05:11 PM
Our founding fathers pretty much set this whole thing up to keep the public from having too much of a voice. It's discouraged me from ever wanting to vote. And I still don't feel changing a president makes as big an impact as everyone would like to believe.

Well, to be fair, I don't think the founding fathers could have imagined modern politics, and they also had radically different views on the purpose of the executive. (For instance, that vetoes were for killing unconstitutional bills)

All told, I think they'd be disgusted with modern politics.

So far, I'm leaning toward exercising my right to choose not to vote, simply due to what's available. Obama seems to be lacking in experience (despite leaking charisma out of his ears), and McCain's running mate is insane enough to not belong in any position of more power than, say, managing a McDonald's.

Unfortunately, one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Well, I'm seriously considering not voting on the presidency, because at the moment I couldn't vote for either in good conscience. I think I'm going to look at the "lesser" races first and work my way up the ladders of insanity, lies, and generally distasteful things. (And yes, Obama is the epitome of charisma. He might make a good candidate with another 8-12 years of experience... maybe.)

Sidney
Sep 19, 2008, 05:15 PM
^ Is Ralph Nader running this year? :lol:
Haven't heard much from him yet...

amtalx
Sep 19, 2008, 05:18 PM
Its none of my business if you vote or not, but I can't stand it when people start bitching and moaning about our leadership then say "I didn't" vote when I ask them who they voted for.

Moral of the Story: Kindly STFU about everything ever if you don't even bother to vote.

Sharkyland
Sep 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
I live in Maryland, and for quite some time now, Maryland is usually democratic state, so sometimes I don't care if I vote, but... the only thing I can about politics is they better do a good job in office.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 19, 2008, 10:21 PM
Although they want to overemphasize the amount of right or wrong one vote will accomplish with such over the top commercials, if anyone is soo inclined - they know its just a stepping stone for getting things done in government. This being a once in 4 years maybe it changes something, maybe it doesn't vote of confidence or not really.

To change things on a more individual scale is to go about it in the county/city/province sized regular voting for anything and everything. City council meetings (although they tend to make it a bit of a hassle to be a public voice speaker) allow local people to be heard. Letter writing to these smaller councilmen and women will get opinions into the people who can pass them on to higher ups and so on.

Leviathan
Sep 19, 2008, 10:52 PM
Maybe your ONE vote could be the difference, eh?

Ever thought of it like that?

In 1776 English was chosen over German as the national language by ONE vote.

In 1923 Hitler became the leader for the German Nazi Party by ONE vote.

http://www.napas.org/issues/voting/pava/TNInserts.pdf

First page. +More votes.
You can't just say your not going to vote, atleast CHOOSE someone. You could be the difference. :wacko:

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
That was addressed with the Electoral college, recurring itself in '04 after Kerry got the most votes in the Nation by the American public, but lost to the portioned out per state delegate votes.

Kent
Sep 19, 2008, 11:55 PM
Maybe your ONE vote could be the difference, eh?

Ever thought of it like that?

I'm not one to ignore the obvious... Which is why, despite the potential for my one vote to actually be the deciding factor, the odds it it happening are astronomically minuscule. I'm not one to think that the odds are in my favor.

Get one of those lifeless statisticians in here to crunch some numbers. It's not going to happen - not with this much in the way of voting population.

Besides, if it does come down to me one vote... Then the popular vote would just be a tie, and hopefully result in Obama and McCain dueling to fight for the presidency.

You can't just say your not going to vote
Why not? I'm pretty sure it's in my rights to choose not to vote.

geewj
Sep 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
I thought America was supposed to be amber waves and purple mountains, not a bunch of red and blue.

Leviathan
Sep 20, 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm not one to ignore the obvious... Which is why, despite the potential for my one vote to actually be the deciding factor, the odds it it happening are astronomically minuscule. I'm not one to think that the odds are in my favor.

I'm just saying, you never know. Can't be too sure.
Look at those situations I brought up, what if one person didn't vote &then we would all be speaking German.

Get one of those lifeless statisticians in here to crunch some numbers. It's not going to happen - not with this much in the way of voting population.

Besides, if it does come down to me one vote... Then the popular vote would just be a tie, and hopefully result in Obama and McCain dueling to fight for the presidency.

Why not? I'm pretty sure it's in my rights to choose not to vote.

I WISH I could vote. When people don't vote I get mad because when someone they didn't like get elected they suddenly bitch about it, but did they EVER do anything to even stop it or even have their vote matter. No they did not. You had your chance, didn't vote? Too fucking bad you had a chance. They take it for granted.

geewj
Sep 20, 2008, 12:34 AM
Electing a president is about living a lifestyle they endorse, and being educated enough to realize that and show support for the right candidate.

Voting is just one part of that process, and not the most important one. Five friends have five friends have five friends who all live alike and would vote alike. Five of these friends did not vote, yet influencing the lives of those five times five time five friends puts power and weight behind the people with the tenacity to keep up with the electoral process.

So write down their name and stick it in your pocket if you'd like. Cause, uh... that's what I do.

Leviathan
Sep 20, 2008, 12:48 AM
What if everyone had the mentality that their vote wouldn't count?
A lot of votes would be lost that way.

geewj
Sep 20, 2008, 12:52 AM
What if everyone thought voting was so important that we were beguiled into a corrupt system for years on end?

Any media that asks me to get out of bed and do their job for them better be paying me, not taxing me.

Leviathan
Sep 20, 2008, 01:03 AM
I asked first. =P

Voting is important. Maybe not you but I'm sure to others it is.
I know I wish I could.

geewj
Sep 20, 2008, 01:08 AM
If nobody voted, then we'd be forced to come up with something better.

Maybe if you can't vote, you should come up with something better.

Come on future America, you're cool too. Raising hell's not just about hippies.

Nai_Calus
Sep 20, 2008, 01:22 AM
I love how everyone bandies around that 'one vote did this!' bullshit, which is just that, bullshit. Neither of those 'examples' is true, Levi. Here, have a page on it: http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/onevote.asp

Furthermore, many votes these days are set up in such a way that one vote *cannot* be the difference - The electoral college, for example, pretty much makes it impossible; some require a *specific* majority and not just one more person voting for something than voted for something else.

Voting is important, sure, but for a lot of people the presidential election means fucking nothing. Like I said, Red county. I might as well vote for myself. Especially since I hate both candidates. Even if I voted Obama on the grounds of trying to make McCain not win, this county is still going to go to McCain. State has a decent chance of going to Obama, but it won't be because of my specific vote.

Proposition 8, on the other hand... Oh you'd better fucking believe I'm voting on that. THAT means something.

Kylie
Sep 20, 2008, 09:15 AM
Kylie thinks the lot of you want to be in control of the government.

Sord
Sep 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
Kylie thinks the lot of you want to be in control of the government.

cause there's nothing like having people follow you everywhere, constantly being harassed by other leaders, never being able to please everyone (which in this case "everyone' is far more literal than normal.) Now ruling from the shadows...

astuarlen
Sep 20, 2008, 11:45 AM
You're all missing the point. Voting isn't about choosing some public official or passing propositions; it's about get an I VOTED sticker.

I like geewj's idea, though.

At least the whole election thing provides an excuse to discuss policies and candidates (hopefully) beyond the latest scandal and (hopefully) with slightly more depth than so-and-so talks funny! is wearing a bad suit! has a hot spouse! etc!

I'll be voting in November, even though my vote "doesn't count" because I live in Illinois and my chosen candidate is sure to win here.

EphekZ
Sep 20, 2008, 01:01 PM
At least the whole election thing provides an excuse to discuss policies and candidates (hopefully) beyond the latest scandal and (hopefully) with slightly more depth than so-and-so talks funny! is wearing a bad suit! has a hot spouse! etc!

If only that were true. That kind of commentary, from what I've seen, has been more rampant than ever.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Sep 21, 2008, 02:11 AM
This two party system sucks. It creates a sort of false dichotomy that gives the idea that as a patriotic American, you are either A.) A Democrat, or B.) A Republican. Seeing as I'm neither, for both elections I've really only found myself with a choice of Failure A or Loser B (Also "missed the bar" C, D, and E; but they don't fancy overpriced commercials from lobbyist donations and funds raised for the election so the populace at large doesn't even know they exist.) Also since I live in a red state and don't lean that way politically, I may as well not exist.

Not voting is very tempting. I could save myself a wait in line, a haggle by some old fart, and an aggravating user interface from a busted ass machine from 1992 that barely even works. That goofy "I voted" sticker isn't much of a motivator.

That pencil is though...

Sharkyland
Sep 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
If it's one vote... wouldn't the opposing party say that there is miscalculation? I hear on the news where they are saying oh it's this and that with a margin of some error percent. One vote is definitely not that some error percent.

I usually don't bitch if someone I don't like gets elected, but I usually start bitching when why make really dumb mistakes in office.

---

Control the government? Hmm, I'd pass on that. I know I'm definitely not qualified to be the one for the job. I'm a follower not a leader.

Kent
Sep 21, 2008, 11:17 PM
What if everyone had the mentality that their vote wouldn't count?
A lot of votes would be lost that way.

If the majority of people stopped voting because they believed their votes didn't count, it'd be plastered all over the media that there was a record low voter turnout.

Effect: People would spontaneously see that their votes would matter in the next election, and then proceed to vote.

Of course, that'd be with the exception of the people who still think that their votes won't matter... because everyone else is voting again, suddenly. In addition, of course, to the people who just plain don't care, and those who aren't swayed toward (or away from) either candidate.

And, naturally, since people as a whole - and typically, potlitians as individuals - are inherently stupid... It'd probably happen again, resembling everyone's favorite thing in the universe: The Sine wave.

stukasa
Sep 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'm not going to vote because I dislike the Electoral College system. I live in California, a solidly Democratic state, and I know without a shred of doubt that this November our electoral votes are going to Obama. I could vote Democrat, Republican, independent, or not at all, and it wouldn't make a single bit of difference because the president is chosen by the Electoral College, not by people like you and me. To be fair, I'd probably vote Democrat anyway (lesser of two evils blah blah blah :p), but it still doesn't make a difference. That fact has completely turned me off from voting. Until the president is chosen by popular vote (or until I move to a 'battleground state'), you probably won't see me at the voting booth.

Weeaboolits
Sep 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
It's your right to opt out if you so choose, but if you can vote, and decide not to, don't let me hear you complaining about who won.

stukasa
Sep 23, 2008, 01:26 PM
It's your right to opt out if you so choose, but if you can vote, and decide not to, don't let me hear you complaining about who won.
I've heard that saying many times and I very much disagree with it. If the election was based on the popular vote I'd agree with you, but it's not so that argument isn't a valid one. I can vote or not vote and it won't make a difference, not because one vote doesn't matter but because the Electoral College decides how YOUR vote will be cast. The only people electing the president this November are the members of the Electoral College, not people like you and me. Luckily my state happens to vote the same way I would probably vote anyway.

For anyone unfamiliar with the U.S. system of elections, here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

The Electoral College consists of 538 popularly elected representatives who formally select the President and Vice President of the United States.[1] The Electoral College is an example of an indirect election.

Rather than directly voting for the President and Vice President, U.S. citizens cast votes for electors. Electors are technically free to vote for anyone eligible to be President, but in practice pledge to vote for specific candidates[2] and voters cast ballots for favored Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates by voting for correspondingly pledged electors.[3]