PDA

View Full Version : Children's movies...

Blitzkommando
Sep 22, 2008, 12:45 AM
...that made you into the generally screwed up individual that you are today.

The Secret of NIMH - You know what? I think that may very well be the source to my phobia of injections or at least the very least helped.

Fern Gully - Black trees with orange glowing shit and sludge and... where the hell were they going with that movie?

Felix the Cat - Even today when I watch that movie even though I see it as awesome, I also see so much of it as being so completely off the wall that it's no wonder that parts of it scared me as a kid, like the headhunters.

The Hobbit - I don't even remember much other than at the time I didn't want to remember it.

Princess Mononoke - That was such a bad choice to rent then watch alone. Blood and those freaky living stone things.

The Page Master - Watching it today evokes nothing much, but shit, back then for whatever reason I just hated it.

Little Nemo - Hell, I never even finished watching it. It just freaked me out too much.

Fantasia - The first time I saw the scene with the demon on the mountain I practically wet myself. Disney had so much more grit back then that gave us some really awesome movies like Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, and Sleeping Beauty.

Oddly enough movies like the Labrynth, The Neverending Story, and The Dark Crystal were movies that I loved growing up, especially The Labrynth. Hell, I even loved All Dogs Go to Heaven which had demons and Hell in it. Equally odd, I never really got scared of the Pink Elephants scene from Dumbo which I've known several others that still hate that scene.

Boogie Troll
Sep 22, 2008, 12:54 AM
Watch "Spirited Away". It can be described as the Eastern version of "Alice in Wonderland". It will freak you the fuck out. I saw it a few months ago and I don't think I want to talk about it anymore.

It's the same guy that did Princess Mononoke.

Blitzkommando
Sep 22, 2008, 01:18 AM
Spirited Away came out about a decade too late to be part of my childhood. And it was a bit more mild than one of my favorite childhood films, The Brave Little Toaster. Apparently I ended up watching that movie so many times that the VHS wore out. But Spirited Away is one of my favorite Miyazaki films, which reminds me I should pop it in again.

Princess Mononoke was not really in my childhood per se, but it definitely freaked me out the first time I saw it when I was about 13 or so. Still, I included it because it was a harsh introduction into anime films (as was Little Nemo now that I think about it) as I did watch it alone at night, during a storm if I'm remembering correctly.

Anduril
Sep 22, 2008, 01:31 AM
I can agree with you on most of those, though a few I haven't seen/prefer not to remember seeing. Also I have to add in the care bear movies; those kinda disturbed me for various reasons.

Larian
Sep 22, 2008, 02:46 AM
Well...I can't think of any movies that made me screwed up...but add all the ones mentioned in the OP save for Fern Gully and then add An American Tail, GI Joe The Movie, Transformers The Movie, and Robotix...and you have my Childhood!!! =D

Princess Mononoke was a bit after my childhood...But Naussicaa was the first Miyazaki movie I ever seen...and still my favorite!! =D

Oh and the Goonies...Can't believe I almost forgot that one...

CrimsomWolf
Sep 22, 2008, 02:50 AM
As child I watched Star Wars. Mostly Yeah I admit it.

And Last Exile (anime)

And of course James Bond movies.

Weeaboolits
Sep 22, 2008, 03:30 AM
When I watched Short Circuit 2, it made me cry when they smashed Johnny 5. ;~;

raikomaru40
Sep 22, 2008, 06:25 AM
When I watched Short Circuit 2, it made me cry when raikomaru40 smashed Johnny 5. ;~;

dude, brutal....

TalHex
Sep 22, 2008, 07:02 AM
space odyess even though i don't really remember it today

Sord
Sep 22, 2008, 07:26 AM
*Stuff*
wow, I'm pretty close to the opposite of what you were. Liked Secret of NIHM, watched Fern Gully a lot, never saw felix the cat and what I saw of the hobbit seemed crappy, Princess Mononoke I saw at a pretty young age but the blood and demons and crap didn't much bother me, I went on to rent it a few more times. It was my first experiance with anime I believe. I don't even know how many times I watched Page Master, I want to see that again. Little Nemo, I'm assuming this is the nemo that rides on his bed. I know I saw this, but I must have only seen it once or a couple times, 'cause it's really hazy. Fantasia I watched a lot.

As per Labrynth...zZzZzZz. Neverending Story I got sick of because it seemed like everyone else wanted to watch it. Liked All Dogs go Heaven series, but I did hate that pink elephant scene from Dumbo (maybe that's why I never drink...,) and other portions of the movie Dumbo as well such as when he's dressed as a clown jumping from a fiery building (though this did not stop me from watching it repeatedly.)

The American Tales with Fible the mouse or whatever the movies were I watched a lot. The Great Mouse Detective, now there was a creepy yet thoroughly entertaining movie, watched that one a lot. I don't remember what the series were, but I remember two movies with a guy and gal mouse (british maybe?) that were detectives or maybe they just helped the kids out. In one of them they save some girl from her wicked relative in a swamp or something. And I'm pretty sure the other one is concerning a boy somewhere in the dessert or out west or something. I remember a very big eagle. Land before Time
(just the first one,) I know I watched that a lot.

The only movies I can really think of that scared me or anything would be Jumanji and Jurassic Park (though I would come to like Jurassic Park, also now that I've read the book I think the reading material is much better.)

astuarlen
Sep 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
Fargo - The woodchipper thing probably isn't for kids. I think I should watch this again, since it's been a long, long time.

Jumanji - EVIL VINES ARGHHHHHHH

Little Shop of Horrors - EVIL PLANTS ARGHHHHHHHHGHGHGH

I never saw The Secret of Nimh, but we read the book, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, in gradeschool.

Don't remember any other freaky movies, but I did watch a lot of Homeward Bound.

Sord
Sep 22, 2008, 08:38 AM
Fargo
Don't remember any other freaky movies, but I did watch a lot of Homeward Bound.

SASSY. I remember watching that movie a lot to, now that it's been brought up. DON'T SNIFF THE PORCUPINE CHANCE.

Solstis
Sep 22, 2008, 10:53 AM
Spirited Away came out about a decade too late to be part of my childhood. And it was a bit more mild than one of my favorite childhood films, The Brave Little Toaster. Apparently I ended up watching that movie so many times that the VHS wore out. But Spirited Away is one of my favorite Miyazaki films, which reminds me I should pop it in again.

The Brave Little Toaster made me the cynic I am today.

Message of the movie: devotion will get you killed.

Larian
Sep 22, 2008, 10:40 PM
When I watched Short Circuit 2, it made me cry when they smashed Johnny 5. ;~;

So did I... =(

I cried at the end too when he came back all Ramboed and they were playing Holding on for a Hero...Epic...

Oh and I can't believe I forgot to mention Suburban Commando, Howard the Duck, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, and Mannequin!

Oh and for the record...I cried after watching The Secret of Nimh 2...Only because it was sooo Horrible!

I don't remember what the series were, but I remember two movies with a guy and gal mouse (british maybe?) that were detectives or maybe they just helped the kids out. In one of them they save some girl from her wicked relative in a swamp or something. And I'm pretty sure the other one is concerning a boy somewhere in the dessert or out west or something. I remember a very big eagle.

The Rescuers, and The Rescuers Down Under...

pikachief
Sep 22, 2008, 10:58 PM
idk what movies but i know scooby doo was teh best!!

he always ate :0 and ate and ate :)

i loved scooby doo, i still remember when i was a wee one, loving teh aprt where he ate so much he got like supar fat lol i always thought that was funny :)

u know what i dont think its funny any more and wish none of it ever happened T_T

Weeaboolits
Sep 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
Scooby was a terrible series, they always pulled the culprit out of their ass without giving you hardly a singly clue to who it would be. It was also terribly formulaic.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Sep 23, 2008, 08:43 AM
idk what movies but i know scooby doo was teh best!!

he always ate :0 and ate and ate :)

i loved scooby doo, i still remember when i was a wee one, loving teh aprt where he ate so much he got like supar fat lol i always thought that was funny :)

u know what i dont think its funny any more and wish none of it ever happened T_T
I didn't understand any of that, but guess why you like fat chix?

Sord
Sep 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
The Rescuers, and The Rescuers Down Under...
those be the ones

Adriano
Sep 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
Little Toaster-I liked the Vaccum cleaner, he was my favorite.

Secret of Nimh/Rescuers-(lolmice)I remember Nimh abit, but the rescuers stands out in my mind, because the odd colored huge gem in the movie. I was mesmerized by teh prety coularz.

Fern Gully-dude I have never been more freaked out by something animated, then those smog machines or whatever they were.

Princess M.-Those wormy things gave me the heebeejeebees. Poor pig. :(

but yeah I liked/watched alot of those movies as a kid. :wacko:

P.S. Nice Sord/Larian :wacko: I was thinking of that one too aha, could'nt think of the name.

OH Captain Hook! or just 'Hook' AHA!
And I used to follow 'gumby' quite faithfully.

Sord
Sep 24, 2008, 08:30 AM
oh, james and the giant peach, thought that movie was a tad freaky, and while we're on the brave little toaster, I always liked the old radio

Monochrome
Sep 25, 2008, 02:39 AM
Dragon Slayer - I was pretty scared watching this one as a child. It is one of those classic "sacrifice virgins to appease the dragon until it decides to eat everyone anyway now we are forced to kill it" sort of movies. My parents thought it was fine that I watch this over and over.

Dark Crystal - Henson must have smoked some powerful stuff when he concocted this one. Anyway, this movie creeped me the heck out when I was 5. Like when that Gelfling gets the life sucked out of it and it sort of shrivels like the teen in the first 10 minutes of The Ring.

Legend - Tim Curry.

and props to you people who were horrified by the grisly assault upon Johnny 5 in Short Circuit 2. That was either the first or second movie I ever remember seeing in theaters (this is really dating me now) when I was 5 or 6. I remember asking my mom in the theater if he was going to die.

Sord
Sep 25, 2008, 09:33 AM
Dark Crystal - Henson must have smoked some powerful stuff when he concocted this one. Anyway, this movie creeped me the heck out when I was 5. Like when that Gelfling gets the life sucked out of it and it sort of shrivels like the teen in the first 10 minutes of The Ring.

that movie bored the crap out of me, don't even remember finishing it