PDA

View Full Version : Remember the crazy professor I told ya'll about.

Shadowpawn
Sep 30, 2008, 09:13 PM
Dude with 50+ page syllabus and other non-sense. Yeah, I'm SO going drop this guy. Man this guy is the WROST math teacher in the world. Dude doesn't give partial credit on his test, meaning if you get ONE THING WRONG...like a MISSING EQUAL SIGN then it's wrong. Just get you an example of how hard this guy is. Take this problem, (where i is the imaginary unit) i^2n = ?

Is it -1^n, nope it's (-1)^n. (-1)^n != -1^n *teacher marks it a zero*, Dude...seriously? And that wasn't even a linear algebra problem, so imagine how many things you can get wrong with a matrix and linear matrix equations?

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

astuarlen
Sep 30, 2008, 09:17 PM
Well they aren't the same thing.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 30, 2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe you should do your math problems right instead of slacking.

Shadowpawn
Sep 30, 2008, 09:31 PM

You SO better be trolling right now! :/

Randomness
Sep 30, 2008, 09:53 PM

Nitro, parentheses around a negative number you're raising to a power are generally used only in calculator input. Yes, its technically correct, but this is the math equivalent of marking a question wrong for a mispelling. Maybe knock off a half point or something, but thats all. Its clear that he knew the answer.

Damn, that guy is an ass. I have NEVER had a math teacher not give partial credit for correct work. You get partial credit on AP exams, even. And nitpicking, on top of it? Yeesh.

Nitro Vordex
Sep 30, 2008, 09:53 PM
Just saying. *shrugs*

Shadowpawn
Sep 30, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm amazed the guy is this nitpicky. How do you expect someone to learn the material when you don't even go over the answer to the homework you assign? On top of that he doesn't even use the text book he made us buy. -_-

I better log off though. Got a physics exam with another hard teacher. Dude makes you remember 15 equations for a hour long test. Thank god you only gives you 2-4 problems.

Blitzkommando
Sep 30, 2008, 11:40 PM
Welcome to college. Enjoy your stay.

But, seriously, you'll have professors from the range of "Well, he at least hit the moon, have credit even though I was looking for Mars," to guys like this that power trip over the fact you are paying for them to 'teach' you. But, having never been a fan of math outside of pattern recognition I can understand why you hate it. I honestly lucked out in my college algebra class where the guy gave out extra credit out the wazoo. Seriously, I went from a C+ to a solid A in that class due to the extra credit, and much of that was extra credit for just coming to class.

I guess the point is to try and find out about the professors beforehand so you don't have to rely on luck of the draw when it comes to getting a 'good one'.