PDA

View Full Version : October 1st Famitsu Scans

Evila
Oct 1, 2008, 06:57 AM
Phantasy Star Zero got two pages in the latest Famitsu. Has a look at those two story characters plus all the default looks for the different classes.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=57893

Also that one screen in the lower left seems to be a look at character customization. It's the HUmar without his goggles and different colored clothes.

[edit] Good scans.
http://i35.tinypic.com/ig90g9.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/rii7pf.jpg

Aumi
Oct 1, 2008, 09:01 AM
Nice, but I hope there'll be someone to upload some decent scans soon. Pictures made with a digital cam aren't good enough.

EspioKaos
Oct 1, 2008, 09:12 AM
Story character names revealed.

Red-haired newman chicky is Salisa, described as "a young girl from a forgotten race." (Dun dun dun... newmans... forgotten?) Human dude with massive sword is Kai; he is called a veteran Hunter.

Photon arts confirmed to return. (That explains individual PP gauges as opposed to TP.) Also, one new technique revealed: Alresta. It seems that Resta will heal only the caster, while Alresta will heal in a radius around the caster.

Now don't quote me on this just yet. I'll need a better scan to confirm it, but it looks like in the newman info section, it says they were born on the moon. ... ... >_> The picture gets kind of blurry around this part, so that might be partially off. But, I do see 月で生まれ (the next kanji is too small and blurry to read), which translates as "born on the moon." So uh... yeah.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the BGM will be like PSO where it changes with enemy encounters.

Aumi
Oct 1, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yay, changing music! :D And I'm kinda glad that Photon Arts are in this. Oh, and Espio, will you link the scans if you find some better ones?

VR-Raiden
Oct 1, 2008, 10:43 AM
EDIT: Forgot to mention that the BGM will be like PSO where it changes with enemy encounters.
FUCK YES!

>.>

i've been missing that.

looks like Forces can wack stuff with their wands/rods again ^_^

EspioKaos
Oct 1, 2008, 11:59 AM
The article has a little section on the story. It's tough to make out some of the details due to the blurriness of the image, but here's what I can see.

A massive war destroys civilization; 200 years pass and humans begin to rebuild Earth. They rebuild their cities, but in the process make new enemies. A group collectively known as "Hunters" band together to fight against said enemy using weapons based on photon energy discovered from the ancient civilization.

ChronoTrigga
Oct 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
October 1, 2008 - Phantasy Star Zero is set to make Christmas very merry for Japanese DS owners (the game arrives in Japan on Christmas day!). To find out just how jolly everyone's going to be, we checked the latest issue of Famitsu, which offers a new update on the game.

While the magazine has already covered the basics, most notably the visual chat system, the new issue shares first details on the game's storyline. PS0 is set on the planet "Earth" 200 years after a great war destroyed all civilization. Only the race of humans remains. As they build cities and attempt to revive their past, however, enemies attack from all around.

To defeat these enemies, humans make use of ancient weapons that they've unearthed. These weapons run on an energy called "Photon" and are wielded by Hunters.

While the storyline has humans being the last remaining race, you'll actually have access to three races: human, numan, and caster. Combined with the various jobs and male/female varients, and you'll find at least fourteen unique types that you can select from when creating your character.

Also mentioned in the story is the term "Photon." This energy form plays a direct role in the game. Players make use of "Photon Points" to perform charge attacks with their weapons and techniques (magic). In the case of weapons, using your photon points results in the weapon performing a special attack known as Photon Arts. With techniques, photon points can expand upon magic, turning, for instance, a solo heal spell into a group heal spell.

Outside of the photon point techniques, the magazine also reveals a new evasion move. Pressing the evade button on the action palette sends your character dashing in the direction that you're pressing at the time on the d-pad, allowing you to avoid attack and get behind your enemy for some easy damage.

Phantasy Star 0 will be playable in Sega's booth at the upcoming TGS, offering players a chance to face off against a giant dragon. We'll be sure and let you know how this particular series translates over to the touch screen.

Yay! Photon arts return!

Evila
Oct 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
Found some good scans, thanks to some anon guy on 2channel. Also as usual, thanks for the translations Espio!

http://i35.tinypic.com/ig90g9.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/rii7pf.jpg

VR-Raiden
Oct 1, 2008, 05:36 PM
ummm as for those attack icons at the upper right of the first page...

Do we get no heavy attacks again? I only see two attack-like symbols, and now we know PAs are back. That would make me sad :P

deso123
Oct 1, 2008, 05:43 PM
This is where it's at. :3

Weeaboolits
Oct 1, 2008, 05:52 PM
I was worried RAcaseal was gonna be left out, actually, glad to see they won't be.

Also, I do hope heavy attacks are included, photon arts are nice, but I'd like the normal attacks to be worth using too.

ChronoTrigga
Oct 1, 2008, 05:54 PM
lol, Racaseal....I like hunewearls. But i'm definately liking how the Hunewms look.

VR-Raiden
Oct 1, 2008, 06:45 PM
Well if there are indeed no heavy attacks, who was it that said PS0 would play more like PSO?

cause I'm gonna slap 'em

Gemel
Oct 1, 2008, 06:52 PM
Well if there are indeed no heavy attacks, who was it that said PS0 would play more like PSO?

cause I'm gonna slap 'em

Well the creators said so hehe.

I was semi excited and semi upset to hear Photon Arts would be back. It's like they're cool, but not.

Weeaboolits
Oct 1, 2008, 06:52 PM
With any luck they'll realize that photon arts should be used in conjunction with standard attacks, not instead of them.

Also, I am really not liking the new force designs. :/

EspioKaos
Oct 1, 2008, 07:17 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the clear scans!

Now for some new stuff and clarifications. Let's start with photon arts. It says that when you use PP, you can pull off special "charge attacks" with weapons and techniques. These special skills are simply called "photon arts." In the case of weapons, charge attacks vary depending on the weapon. Sabers will allow you to perform an X slash at enemies while machineguns will have your character dancing around, wildly shooting at enemies. Techniques work in a similar manner. The example given is that the normal form of Resta will heal only yourself, but the "charged" version, Alresta, will heal in a large radius.

Evading has been added to your action palette. (It's the button in the middle that has an arrow arcing over a white dot.) Press this while holding the D-pad in the direction you want to move to. Just make sure you don't roll into another enemy!

Humans are the one race that survived the great war. They rebuilt their cities and began anew. Humans are the most populous and well-rounded race. They are recommended for beginning players.

During the great war, CASTs lay across the land, all deactivated. Then one day, they suddenly woke up with no recollection of past ways. They are the only race that can set traps and are recommended for intermediate players.

Newmans were born and raised on the moon, and are a good race that had long been forgotten. Though they exhibit low HP and defense, they excel at technique usage. Newmans are recommended for advanced players.

We have a new enemy name: Grinble. Also, it seems PSO's enemy classification system is back, as this creature is labeled as native.

VR-Raiden
Oct 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
Well the creators said so hehe.

I was semi excited and semi upset to hear Photon Arts would be back. It's like they're cool, but not.
Heh, then I'm going to slap the creators, i guess XD

That's how I felt about learning PAs were back too...they're pretty but I think there's many problems with them. Such as making normal attacks almost completely useless.

call me crazy but after leveling PAs for HOURS...they got pretty old. Heavy attacks on the other hand weren't able to level, so there was no reason to spam them all day.

Aumi
Oct 2, 2008, 09:09 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the clear scans!

Now for some new stuff and clarifications. Let's start with photon arts. It says that when you use PP, you can pull off special "charge attacks" with weapons and techniques. These special skills are simply called "photon arts." In the case of weapons, charge attacks vary depending on the weapon. Sabers will allow you to perform an X slash at enemies while machineguns will have your character dancing around, wildly shooting at enemies. Techniques work in a similar manner. The example given is that the normal form of Resta will heal only yourself, but the "charged" version, Alresta, will heal in a large radius.

Evading has been added to your action palette. (It's the button in the middle that has an arrow arcing over a white dot.) Press this while holding the D-pad in the direction you want to move to. Just make sure you don't roll into another enemy!

Humans are the one race that survived the great war. They rebuilt their cities and began anew. Humans are the most populous and well-rounded race. They are recommended for beginning players.

During the great war, CASTs lay across the land, all deactivated. Then one day, they suddenly woke up with no recollection of past ways. They are the only race that can set traps and are recommended for intermediate players.

Newmans were born and raised on the moon, and are a good race that had long been forgotten. Though they exhibit low HP and defense, they excel at technique usage. Newmans are recommended for advanced players.

We have a new enemy name: Grinble. Also, it seems PSO's enemy classification system is back, as this creature is labeled as native.

Well, this helps! Sounds all great to me. Thanks Espio!

Niered
Oct 2, 2008, 10:55 AM
Techniques work in a similar manner. The example given is that the normal form of Resta will heal only yourself, but the "charged" version, Alresta, will heal in a large radius.

Wait, this confuses me. It implies one of many things:

1. If resta is the normal version, and alresta the charged version, then does that mean that once again techs and skills are linked to weapons? But then that would mean (at least from the videos) that canes and rods can attack and heal.

2. If that is the case, then can you only link one tech/skill to a weapon?

3. If not the case, how are we choosing the techs and skills we pull off?

EspioKaos
Oct 2, 2008, 11:34 AM
Wait, this confuses me. It implies one of many things:

1. If resta is the normal version, and alresta the charged version, then does that mean that once again techs and skills are linked to weapons? But then that would mean (at least from the videos) that canes and rods can attack and heal.

2. If that is the case, then can you only link one tech/skill to a weapon?

3. If not the case, how are we choosing the techs and skills we pull off?

I wish I knew, but the article isn't too clear on that. It implies that photon arts are for striking and ranged weapons only while techniques are completely separate; both of these are classified as "charge attacks." And since the normal and heavy attacks don't seem to use PP (no mention is made of PP consumption, at least), I'm thinking that you'll have to add a special attack icon (maybe like PSO's special attack) to your palette to use a weapon's charge attack, which would deplete your PP. Hopefully this will be cleared up in one of SonicTeam's site updates.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that telepipes are back? (Check the action palette in the upper right corner of the first page of the new article.)

pikachief
Oct 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
does this mean that u dont link photon arts, and that for guns and sabers, they have their own abilities? didnt PSO have something like that?

some weapons had abilities? maybe its like that and they're just doing it to all weapons and calling them photon arts now :)

Saphion
Oct 2, 2008, 11:59 AM
Oh, and did anyone else notice that telepipes are back? (Check the action palette in the upper right corner of the first page of the new article.)

Oh, sweet!

Frokko
Oct 2, 2008, 12:07 PM
It's also looks like you can see all of your teammates HP Bar at the lower screen.

I think that's cool. ^^

VR-Raiden
Oct 2, 2008, 02:48 PM
I wish I knew, but the article isn't too clear on that. It implies that photon arts are for striking and ranged weapons only while techniques are completely separate; both of these are classified as "charge attacks." And since the normal and heavy attacks don't seem to use PP (no mention is made of PP consumption, at least), I'm thinking that you'll have to add a special attack icon (maybe like PSO's special attack) to your palette to use a weapon's charge attack, which would deplete your PP. Hopefully this will be cleared up in one of SonicTeam's site updates.

Wait, so PSO-like heavy attacks are in? they aren't replaced with PAs like in PSU? Or do we still not know how it works at all :confused:

and Yay for telepipes.

Nai_Calus
Oct 2, 2008, 02:55 PM
So this time newmans are damn near literally magical space elves. :wacko:

Niered
Oct 2, 2008, 03:56 PM

I pray your theory is correct EspioKaos, I would be ecstatic if we got normal, heavy, and Photon Art Attacks. It makes some sense too, we still dont know what the X button deos (it hasnt been seen in any screenies) or if we get a double sided palette (hold down on R, 3 more action palette slots deal.)

The only other possibility I see is that maybe charge attacks have to actually be charged? This sort of makes sense with the resta/alresta deal, tap the button to heal yourself, hold down to charge and then heal the party. Of course, that could be completely wrong especially if the translation doesnt match up, Im jsut throwin ideas out there after all.

Adriano
Oct 2, 2008, 04:03 PM
Oh so technics are seperate from the 'charge' type attacks of range and melee, then hopefully that means we can find tech discs again??? : D
I really would rather not level line techs again kthx.

EspioKaos
Oct 2, 2008, 05:40 PM
Wait, so PSO-like heavy attacks are in?

Yeah. All it says about them is that they will allow you to inflict lots of damage, but they aren't as accurate as normal attacks. Just like PSO, if I recall correctly.

VR-Raiden
Oct 2, 2008, 08:43 PM
Oh sweet, thanks. So then we have normal attacks, heavy attacks, AND PAs? good deal ^^

Saphion
Oct 3, 2008, 03:44 AM
That IS a good deal!

Zorafim
Oct 3, 2008, 11:15 AM

Oh God...

Ogni-XR21
Oct 3, 2008, 12:34 PM
I pray your theory is correct EspioKaos, I would be ecstatic if we got normal, heavy, and Photon Art Attacks. It makes some sense too, we still dont know what the X button deos (it hasnt been seen in any screenies) or if we get a double sided palette (hold down on R, 3 more action palette slots deal.)

If you take a closer look at this pic: http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/outline/image/section02/ss_01.jpg
you can see that there is indeed a swap palette when pressing R button.

All in all PS0 is looking great, MAGs, Telepipes, Hard Attacks... now if only Techniques are not linked to weapons all seems good!

Saphion
Oct 3, 2008, 12:38 PM
now if only Techniques are not linked to weapons all seems good!

Apparently, that is indeed the case!

Game of the Forever?

I think so!

VR-Raiden
Oct 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
I dunno, the only thing that's bothering me is that the areas they've shown so far still look more like PSU's...I hope there are some more confined dungeons, or places as detailed as PSO's jungle/seaside/mountain areas.

Niered
Oct 3, 2008, 05:12 PM
If you take a closer look at this pic: http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/outline/image/section02/ss_01.jpg
you can see that there is indeed a swap palette when pressing R button.

Ah-ha! Thanks for pointing that out, so we can assume that the 3 slots on the back are all freed up. This would make alot of sense, got your normal, heavy, and dodge moves on the front, then hold R for skills or techs!

If thats the case, then lets assume that one of those buttons on the back are for weapon Skills. We know that skills are based on what weapon you have equipped, but EspioKaos said that the translation states that Techs are some how different. Perhaps they arent linked to weapons at all? Maybe they work just like Techs in PSO (the way Id prefer them) So then you might have a button for a tech of your choosing, and another for a recovery item.

But thats all assuming that the action pallete is static, I.E. you cant change it like you could in PSO, but that seems odd to me, because why would you show the icons for Evade, attack, and heavy attack when they cant change? I think my earlier assesment is null and void, and the fact is that we basically have a carbon copy of PSO's Action Pallete with Skills added to the mix.

AweOfShe
Oct 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
Newmans are recommended for advanced players.

They always were. :wacko:

But yeah, this game is sounding really good so far. The whole dynamic music thing caught my interest. I like it when it changes. ;o

MinscTFA
Oct 5, 2008, 11:39 AM
So many questions to be answered. PS0 is said to be playable at the Tokyo Game Show so we should have the answers we're looking for by the end of the week. ^^

VR-Raiden
Oct 5, 2008, 01:00 PM
:o

When is TGS exactly?

MinscTFA
Oct 5, 2008, 01:11 PM
October 9th (to 12th). AKA this coming Thursday. :o

Risingsun
Oct 5, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thats right, and there is going to be a big update on the official site around that time.

Epically Leet
Oct 5, 2008, 02:35 PM
There is going to be a big update on the official site around that time.

Really?

That's freakin' awesome.

Flwl3ssCowboy
Oct 5, 2008, 02:38 PM
<3 Sega (again).

Epically Leet
Oct 5, 2008, 02:46 PM
<3 SEGA (always. Doesn't matter if they've pumped out shit LATELY).

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 5, 2008, 07:12 PM
It seems Hucasts are in the house! good, was getting worried.

Hozanto
Oct 5, 2008, 07:31 PM
hmph... the only thing i wanna know about is what weapons are gonna be in it...
but i guess most questions will be anwsered soon...

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 7, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well, In this game Photons are being discovered, its one of those stories were the past was all futuristic and junk :P Its gonna be sweet, as People have steel type weapons and bullet type revolvers and guns. Casts and Newmans seem to know more about Photon technology.