PDA

View Full Version : Is This Gonna Be Hackable Online?

deso123
Oct 1, 2008, 05:06 PM
How hackable is DS?

AlexCraig
Oct 1, 2008, 05:14 PM
Come on. You know better than to ask something like that.

Edit: However, I suppose if some good comes of this, there should be no problem. Keep this clean.

Weeaboolits
Oct 1, 2008, 05:31 PM
Now that you mention it, I wonder what kind of countermeasure they would use to stop people from simply booting up an AR on the thing, hopefully they'll have thought of something by release time.

ChronoTrigga
Oct 1, 2008, 05:52 PM
Well, unless they figure out how to do another type of NOL hack or PKing, I don't see this game having too much of a problem with hacking. Maybe money hacks or weapon hacks, but other than that, there's not much one can do on a co-op game to mess with other players.

Evila
Oct 1, 2008, 05:57 PM
Now that you mention it, I wonder what kind of countermeasure they would use to stop people from simply booting up an AR on the thing, hopefully they'll have thought of something by release time.

Sadly I doubt it, judging by what happens in other DS games. There's also a Gameshark unit for the DS too.

Now if you want more detail... the only DS game I know of where hacking done by an outsider can cause damage to your game is with Animal Crossing Wild World. For example, too many items and structures placed in your town causes the game to stop loading. The only sure fire way to fix it is to edit your save file and clean up the map data. If you're lucky you can also turn the DS clock back to before the incident happened, see if the game loads, and remake your town. That isn't the kind of game I play with strangers anyways, and it definitely isn't encouraged seeing as there's no built in random player matching, so that hasn't affected me at all.

Mario Kart DS's hacking sounded like it was mostly people playing stages that weren't normally playable in online mode, and various things used to win races unfairly, like infinite items, etc. I don't own that game though, so I don't know the full extent of it.

And of course, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl has a ton of hacked Pokemon floating around in the GTS. But if you open your own trade offer rather than searching for an existing trade offer, you're more likely to get the real deal. Or at least something that isn't so obviously hacked, like a level 100 shiny in a Master Ball... I haven't gotten anything shady looking, and even if I did, it's not like it'd ruin the game. You can simply release them if it bothers you.

I still also play Tetris DS online time to time, and while I have seen videos of people cheating on Youtube (infinte line blocks) I've yet to encounter any during random games with strangers.

With the lesser known games, I haven't heard or seen a single peep about online hacking. So it's not like it's a Nintendo Wifi Connection-wide problem. It seems like people only care to do weird stuff in the popular games.

So yeah, in the end I'm sure PS0 will have cheating. Hopefully it isn't widespread or dangerous. D;

deso123
Oct 1, 2008, 06:21 PM
I hate nintendo

ChronoTrigga
Oct 1, 2008, 06:28 PM
That's a very noobish thing to say.

Weeaboolits
Oct 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
I hate nintendoNintendo doesn't make, nor do they officially support using such devices, and the DS is hardly the only platform that's had this sort of thing made for it, I have a gameshark disc for PS2, as well as a dreamcast one sitting in my room somewhere as a case in point. Unless that isn't why you hate them.

deso123
Oct 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
That's a very noobish thing to say.

I snickered when I read that then I saw his name was handsock so I lol'd.

ChaosAngel92
Oct 1, 2008, 07:09 PM
I really hope something happens in order to kill cheating.
One of the things that made PSO vanish was the exscesive usage of hacking.

Triple_S
Oct 1, 2008, 07:10 PM
I hate nintendo

Good for you.

Care to explain?

deso123
Oct 1, 2008, 07:18 PM
They should have shot themselves in the face right after N64 and gave all their money to Sega. Sega isn't that great but at least they didn't turn - (literally).

Weeaboolits
Oct 1, 2008, 07:21 PM
Sega also bankrupted itself and had to be bought out by another company to stay afloat, also if you only said that to incite a reaction, there are better places to cause a stir insulting Nintendo than a site devoted to a series created by Sega.

Dragwind
Oct 1, 2008, 09:44 PM
This is something I'm sure they are aware of, and hopefully measures will be taken to prevent it. I've played quite a few DS titles online, and unfortunately they have all been tampered with by cheating devices in some form or another.

Zarode
Oct 2, 2008, 01:13 AM
Between Gameshark, Action Replay, and homebrew cheating apps,

playing online with a person that is lv20 decked with the best gear just isn't surprising. Just sayin'...

Also, you have the choice to leave the game if you are playing with a cheater. If they get good enough at it, a way to block/ignore the player by Guild Card number.

Also, I would love to see the return of FSOD. Aah, the drama. :wacko:

Saphion
Oct 2, 2008, 03:48 AM
I highly doubt cheaters can be stopped, but if you play it safe and careful you'll be fine.

My advice would be to take advantage of the early days of the game; meet some great friends, trade guild cards and by the time the expletive hits the fan, cut down on playing with strangers, and fall back on playing mostly with your friends. Or if you detect a cheater, just leave the game. I suspect this will be even less of a problem though, as it's far more likely that people you actually know will have a DS and PS0, rather than a GameCube/Xbox/Dreamcast as well as PSO as well as an active internet subscription.

I've already talked three of my DS owning friends into getting the game at any rate. :P

I pretty much played PSO online compulsively, and outside of a few FSOD's (in one of which I lost a Holy Ray!) I came out relatively unscathed.

Just be careful, and you'll be fine.

(My, that was pretty long-winded.)

Mike
Oct 2, 2008, 04:29 AM
I highly doubt cheaters can be stopped, but if you play it safe and careful you'll be fine.

I agree with this. You're going to have cheaters from day 1 or 2.

thematesV2
Oct 2, 2008, 08:28 AM
@ChaosAngel92: hacking/cheating is not why PSO vanished.... it may be why you got bored of PSO but PSO vanished because the game was old, and needed a revamp. that revamp was PSU. PSO was still playable well after PSU was released..... it vanished because sega had newer projects to support......Anyhow, I don't know how much hacking will help/hurt this game, it's bound to be short and sweet. like PS:P, which you can beat in 10 hours of gameplay, level cap in 20 hrs.

Para
Oct 2, 2008, 08:48 AM
Hacking will be around for DS. Im sure... why? R4.

Mysterious-G
Oct 2, 2008, 09:01 AM
Phantasy Star without hacking is not Phantasy Star.

VanHalen
Oct 2, 2008, 12:52 PM
Mario Kart DS's hacking sounded like it was mostly people playing stages that weren't normally playable in online mode, and various things used to win races unfairly, like infinite items, etc. I don't own that game though, so I don't know the full extent of it.

I remember some of the Mario Kart hacks. I had a friend who got the offline tracks online during a race which was awesome. It also added Shyguy the single cart character into his character list. While the race was mainly fair the only problem was whenever he used Shyguy items thrown behind you wouldn't launch D:.

Though one funny hack was when I guy stood at the starting line the whole race and ended up in 1st and the winner. It was only funny cause the ranks for the other racers keep changing no matter where they were.

DraginHikari
Oct 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
Depends on how depth on the online feature will actually be. The more depth you have the more possible for people to mess with it. So far all we know about is standard mission play in the trailer from what I saw.

Niered
Oct 2, 2008, 04:00 PM
This is actually one area where friend codes could benefit us, the players.

Dont get me wrong though, I dont want to be forced to use them, if thats the case then Id be pissed. But if hacking did become an issue, then we could always just have a friend code board for legit players.

Ogni-XR21
Oct 3, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hacking, or rather duping/script kiddies cannot be avoided in this one I guess. Just like others have already posted, it's probably best to find friends early on and leave games as soon as someone is hacking or distributing duped items.

landman
Oct 3, 2008, 01:22 PM
What's wrong about hatting nintendo? Yes, I am and always will be a sega fanboy

And on topic... sure, and "legal" hacking called action replay

Dragwind
Oct 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
Rest assured, sharing friend codes will be a nice method of obtaining reliable friends here.

Sinue_v2
Oct 4, 2008, 11:32 AM
Heh, it wouldn't be in the tradition of PSO if there wasn't cheating. :)

Reginaldo
Oct 5, 2008, 03:55 AM
The DS is actually one of the easiest game systems to hack.

I haven't paid for a DS game in a long time, and having Jump Superstars translated into English pretty much shows that PS0 will be dumped online and picked apart within hours.

Play with just friends and you'll be fine though.

With that said, I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!!

Leviathan
Oct 5, 2008, 11:37 AM
Game isn't even released &it's already going downhill. :disapprove:

Epically Leet
Oct 5, 2008, 02:43 PM
Well, at least PS0 isn't PvP like Metroid Prime Hunters; hackers won't be annoying in that... annoying way.

...Hackers suck, either way.

Ryno
Oct 8, 2008, 08:54 PM
How hackable is DS?

I hope not. better not. Just like what happend to me on psu. had to start all over. due to i had to cancel my credit card. anyways... dont want to explain all.

becuase i'm going to get this game when it comes out and i dont want anything to happend. =)