PDA

View Full Version : Photo/Pictorial References

Lurkster
Oct 5, 2008, 03:45 PM
I've had the urge to draw lately but I'm not incredibly talented. I need some references, preferably human, to sketch off of. Any drawing tips that don't involve annie-may styling will do for me, I've tried it and am not a fan.
Google image search is a bit too broad for my tastes so anything but will do. Thanks in advance.

Ryna
Oct 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
Are you looking for Phantasy Star humans or any old human?

Lurkster
Oct 5, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'm looking for real-life photo references. I'm not terribly interested in fanart at this point, just regular art, so anything drawn wouldn't be a good reference nor would a 3D model.

Libram
Oct 5, 2008, 05:19 PM
A look in the mirror is always helpful. You can put yourself into any strange position you want, make any weird face you like, and study the finer, more neglected aspects of the human form at your leisure. After that look into human anatomy to get a feel for the average skeletal structure. Once you have that down you should be able to build a body around that.

Sayara
Oct 5, 2008, 05:35 PM
What type of human you looking for also, that could help. Im sure alittle stock photo hunting will result some thing.

Lurkster
Oct 5, 2008, 09:15 PM
A website devoted to shots would be nice, nothing like photobucket or imageshack though. Just a site with plenty of real photos. I don't really want to draw from a mirror if I don't have to since I'm not the kind of person I want to draw.

redcell
Oct 6, 2008, 12:24 AM
It's fantastic that you want to learn the basics of anatomy and building off a good foundation instead of going straight for a style. That was a mistake I made when I started drawing =)

Anyway! I swear by these sites when it comes to fantastic anatomy/people references. This first link isn't free, you need to pay $13.50 a month but I feel it's really worth it for the variety of poses and whatnot that they offer [you can dl hi-res photos and also request poses!]. My only gripe is, if you want just female photos you'd have to join their other site which is a bit more expensive =\ still, there are "couple" pictures as well :

http://www.human-anatomy-for-artist.com/index.php

as for stock image stuff that's free, i like going here for something quick and specific [like say, "arms crossed"] =) small photos but good for just practicing certain things :

http://www.veer.com/

Best of luck!

qoxolg
Oct 6, 2008, 02:36 AM
Just get a picture of a skeleton and a muscle figure picture. Thats the best way to learn human anatomy. All you have to do is understanding why you draw each line. As soon as you master the basics, you'll be able to freely draw any type of (non) human being.

Tempo
Oct 17, 2008, 04:24 PM
I have found that modeling sites tend to have a good variety of pictures to choose from if any of the books I have don't quite meet the bill.