PDA

View Full Version : why is there so many universes

lanvandam
Oct 6, 2008, 04:48 PM
i dont understand why we have 18 universes

when switching universe it makes it seem like no one is online. alot of people have told me they quit because no one plays. when searching for a universe its depressing because only uni 2 has stars BUT i know for a fact people are scatter all over. Sega should shutdown universe 6-18 for a like a week to see how people react. i believe people play just scatter all over the place.

sorry guys i ment 4 ps2/pc

see i dont play xbox so i dont kno how the popullation is but i kno pc/ps2 it sucks i bet if it was less universe it be more people

Kylie
Oct 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
They overestimated how many people would play? :-P I wouldn't object to cutting them down to ten (sorry VCC), but they should at least leave a few that few people play on for the antisocial.

Golto
Oct 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
The wasted power consumption of the computers must not bother SoA I guess.

Powder Keg
Oct 6, 2008, 05:17 PM
It should definitely be cut down to at least 12.

fay
Oct 6, 2008, 05:45 PM
even on the 360 version i say they have to be cut down. to about 10 on there sounds good.

i dont play on pc servers but from what iv heard they need cut down to about 4-5 if anything lol

Para
Oct 6, 2008, 06:19 PM
They overestimated how many people would play? :-P I wouldn't object to cutting them down to ten (sorry VCC), but they should at least leave a few that few people play on for the antisocial.

Agreed, SEGA should really cut down the number of universes.

Cracka_J
Oct 6, 2008, 06:22 PM
It should definitely be cut down to at least 12.

5 for pc/ps2 :D

joefro
Oct 6, 2008, 06:31 PM
even on the 360 version i say they have to be cut down. to about 10 on there sounds good.

i dont play on pc servers but from what iv heard they need cut down to about 4-5 if anything lol
I think the game would crash with only ten servers. During MAG 1 we easily filled twelve servers. We might seem to only need ten during normal play, but during events more people do play.:sleepy:

ChaosAngel92
Oct 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
5 for pc/ps2 :D

3 actually.

Deissa
Oct 6, 2008, 06:36 PM
Well, once upon a time it seemed like people were going to play the game, but Sega wouldn't stand for that

pikachief
Oct 6, 2008, 06:47 PM
they did cut down teh universes.

once upon a time, there was either 40 or 45 servers!

now PC/PS2 only has 18 and 360 has 30 (well no uni 23 or 24 so 28 lol)

Mikura
Oct 6, 2008, 06:57 PM
I've said for a long time the servers need to be cut down, and I hope Sega sees fit to do so eventually. 5 for PC/PS2 would be plenty. Not like we'll ever fill up those 5, and as it is now, everyone is too scattered. And with such a small population, we need to be grouped together tighter so it won't seem so empty everywhere.

Cracka_J
Oct 6, 2008, 07:27 PM
I've said for a long time the servers need to be cut down, and I hope Sega sees fit to do so eventually. 5 for PC/PS2 would be plenty. Not like we'll ever fill up those 5, and as it is now, everyone is too scattered. And with such a small population, we need to be grouped together tighter so it won't seem so empty everywhere.

I agree. It would be better for everyone in the smaller community if they made this move. It's so simplistic and effective, even sega could do it*

*maybic

Chris28
Oct 6, 2008, 07:38 PM
i made a topic like this on the psu forums and got flamed by people saying they dont want to deal with noobs on some universes and need the extra universes to go and solo. Whats the difference between soloing on universe 18 or universe 2? cutting it down to 4 or 5 would be fine with me.

foamcup
Oct 6, 2008, 07:42 PM
Saying you don't want to deal with noobs would imply a steady influx of new players, which this game does not have. Either cut it down to one or turn it off and give me my money back.

fayt6
Oct 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
i think that each server should have a diffrent purpose like one drops more meseta and diffrent rares...making the game a touch more complicated lol

Astarin
Oct 6, 2008, 07:52 PM
Indeed. If you want to solo that badly, you use the Party Password function to lock your game, as I do. We -should- have a few servers, because some players with slower connections have a hard time playing on the busy servers. They get disconnected frequently, from timing out. But yeah, five sounds like it'd be a good number.

Frankly, I also like the labeling system the JP servers have. In addition to numbers, I'm told theirs have a title, like "GBR", "Parum", "G. Colony", and so on, to encourage people playing those particular missions to play together. I'm not sure it'd work as well with a smaller population, but it seems like a good idea.

Chris28
Oct 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
people also argued that foreign players need a universe to hang with people of their ethnicity, which i think is pointless. Also some people are worried about not being able to make stupid silly videos because they dont want other people getting in the way.

silly people

RubyEclipse
Oct 6, 2008, 08:01 PM
Saying you don't want to deal with noobs would imply a steady influx of new players, which this game does not have.
I'll disagree with that one...

I actually spot a lot of new players joining, both on PC/PS2 and (of course) 360. The problem is that many new players probably arrive on the PC/PS2 servers off in Universe 13 or so, run around the fourth floor, see nobody, get bored and log off after spamming linear line for a couple hours. It's all about spotting them when they first get online and introducing them to PSU - it can be done, and my friends and I have actually been doing it for months.

Back on topic, I think this is a very good point of discussion. I don't want to reveal too much just yet, but suffice it to say there might just be something in the works right now regarding this. :)

Let the rumors begin!

Chris28
Oct 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
hooray rumors!

Erkthemerc
Oct 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
no they should not reduce the # of servers but they should give u a bonus if the universe u r in has more people... then u would have a more accurate guess of the # of people playing.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 6, 2008, 08:11 PM
hooray rumors!
yay for hopes n dreams ^_^

Powder Keg
Oct 6, 2008, 08:18 PM
I don't understand people who "always want to stay away from people and solo"

Isn't that what offline mode is for? People pay to play alone?

lanvandam
Oct 6, 2008, 08:32 PM
true about the noobs people always bitch about them which is stupid

people always gonna spam when its an event just face it

but i think it would be good for new players so we can see and help them i always give 200k to noobs and take them to white beast to level

Sexy_Raine
Oct 6, 2008, 08:41 PM
Cut it down to 10, no more no less.

autumn
Oct 6, 2008, 09:21 PM
I'd like to see drastic cut in the amount of universes on the PC/PS2 side. Maybe have 6 at the max so we look like we have a populace? I can't imagine being a new player to the game and wanting to find friends and levels. With how spread out everything is it would be a nightmare.

Packrat
Oct 6, 2008, 09:24 PM
6-8 would be fine. It seems horrible for new players to enter the game and find no one around.. D:

Dragwind
Oct 6, 2008, 09:42 PM
10 or less would be fine by me.

Ayures
Oct 6, 2008, 10:12 PM
3 to 5 would seriously be enough. And they need to change the whole lobby system... Make players able to join another player's mission even if it's on a different planet.
I haven't been playing the game very long (maybe a week), but I've only been able to find and join a party once. And that was with just one other player.

Alastor_Haven
Oct 6, 2008, 10:16 PM
10 or less

Tetsaru
Oct 6, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'd prefer MERGING all the servers - Xbox, PC/PS2, Japan, NA/EU, whatever, ALL OF THEM - instead of cutting down on stuff. Either that, or convince more people to join so we can fill em up...

Of course, Sega wouldn't do that unless someone lit a match under their asses... -_-X

RAGNAGELPPOD
Oct 7, 2008, 12:38 AM
^ I wouldn't like to merge servers unless they gave us more room for partner cards.

As far as cutting down thwe number of universes though, it wouldnt hurt. I like 8.

stukasa
Oct 7, 2008, 10:59 AM
I say 6 is a good number for PC/PS2. It would cut down on server maintenance costs for Sega and it would probably make it look like we have more people, since players won't be as scattered as they are now. I don't see why they haven't done this a long time ago...

Syaoran_69
Oct 7, 2008, 11:03 AM
Cut the amount of universes, increase the bandwidth in the others. That's imo at least.

lanvandam
Oct 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
yea the people at pso world who are close to sega should create a poll or a write a letter have us eletrical sign it and see if they will consider how we feel about something that they are able to change.

our request is not adding anything new but just simply removing servers i mean somethings certain universes are down or crashed and they are removed y not put them down for a while

ForteGunnerW
Oct 7, 2008, 01:03 PM
Sega thought they could make a Mmorpg... Just LOL

Pentence
Oct 8, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'd prefer MERGING all the servers - Xbox, PC/PS2, Japan, NA/EU, whatever, ALL OF THEM - instead of cutting down on stuff. Either that, or convince more people to join so we can fill em up...

Of course, Sega wouldn't do that unless someone lit a match under their asses... -_-X

Yeah i think we all have been wishing/hopeing for this one.Maybe JUST MAYBE,when its all said and done and the world has ALL of PSU's updates out and we are all on the same playing field.They will FINALY merge all the servers and ealize that they should have done it in the first place as tehre will be a huge influx of players.Since then people will actualy have heared of the game and its antics.

Genoa
Oct 8, 2008, 02:36 PM
Merging servers would be nice for population... however D:
There's already tards who have their "my race > yours" like CAST SUPREMACY
Then you have tards on PC/PS2 that always make fun of the PS2 users
THEN you have tards that make fun of Xbox360 because of Xbox live
Then you have tards on Xbox360 that make fun of PC/PS2 due to no voice chat and small population (btw, it's called Ventrillo, it's amazing >_>)

Combine all these ingredients and you have eternal bitching and pissing contests
"my graphics are better than yours"
"at least I can always find a party"
"our prices are better than yours"

Wow, I didn't even think about how the economy would explode if we merged.

EDIT: and IMO, I'm not exactly sure WHY there's that many universes to begin with... It's not like Sega could maintain them all if they were all semi-decently filled.

thematesV2
Oct 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
wait, all that bitching and pissing contests would mean what? there are lots of tards on the servers! lots of tards to play with!!!!!!!

anyhow, on a serious note, I don't get why sega just lets this game die, if I had the opportunity to work for sega on a game like PSU, i would be spitting out weapons, cloths, monsters, and levels like crazy..

they need to set a quota, anyone who makes content has to make 4 weaps, 2 cloths sets, 2 monsters, and 2 environment effects per month. fall behind and we cut your pay, make more than your quota, you get bonuses....

the more updates we would have, the more people would play regularly, no matter how balanced or imbalanced it is.

Genoa
Oct 8, 2008, 04:37 PM
Last I recall, correct me if I'm wrong...
Back before PSU's release, PC/PS2 AND 360 were planned originally to be joined together, however, Microsoft were the ones who didn't agree with the idea due to Xboxlive being the primary issue for them. Really lame in my opinion... You don't HAVE to have xboxlive to play >_> but whatever.

DarthLasek
Oct 8, 2008, 06:44 PM
Have you ever seen the japanese servers? they have like 5 stars in 10 unis, atleast 1 or 2 in all 18 then theyhave pages full of 18 unis...not just one like us...and they ill them all up too lol

Pentence
Oct 9, 2008, 03:31 AM
Have you ever seen the japanese servers? they have like 5 stars in 10 unis, atleast 1 or 2 in all 18 then theyhave pages full of 18 unis...not just one like us...and they ill them all up too lol

Yeah makes me think of geting a japanese acount i can finaly read enough japanese to get by.

BIGGIEstyle
Oct 9, 2008, 06:27 AM

Actually when last I logged in the JP servers had about 24 or 26 universes... not 18 :P

and yeah, 2 stars minimum in any universe and anywhere between 2-5 full.

DarthLasek
Oct 9, 2008, 02:35 PM
Actually when last I logged in the JP servers had about 24 or 26 universes... not 18 :P

and yeah, 2 stars minimum in any universe and anywhere between 2-5 full.

Well that just even furthers my case lol...If only jap servers could be combined with our lonely 1 star......half a star most of the time lol

Martine
Oct 18, 2008, 03:17 AM
If i remember correctly on PSO u could choose which servers you like to go to. U could choose US, JPN and Europe servers. I was mostly on US servers. lol. I canīt japanese and on Europe servers it was not many ppl there. So it could be nice if all servers was for all. And Sega could add a tool like FFXI has, that can translate japanese to english and vice versa.

Quarem
Oct 18, 2008, 11:59 AM
Totally agree to cutting down the servers. I am a new player, and just been doing things by myself. I've played other mmo's and never felt so alone :(. What helps though is that they have the star ratings, so if you want to be around people, just go to the highest one. I really feel this game needs a community that can help noobs like me with whatever random.

just my 2 meseta