PDA

View Full Version : PSU Revival or Not?

Shadowbreak
Oct 8, 2008, 08:16 PM
Will S3, Dengeki Carnival, or anything else Sega could possibly do revive PSU in the US or will it continue to lose players to Sega's lack of worth-while updates and glitchy servers? What do you think?

BIGGIEstyle
Oct 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think I could care less if temperamental players whine and leave. It doesn't affect me until they pull the plug on our servers, so as long as that doesn't happen I don't really care.

The people who enjoy the game will stay/come back. The people who have no lives and play this game to fill the gaping hole in their life everyday will leave once it stops doing so.

I'll be here until the servers burn because I like the game, plain and simple.

engelsein
Oct 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
probably the event will bring people back to the game, maybe two stars or three but that will go down rapidly soon after. its been like that since firebreak, so the pattern might just repeat itself on this one

SStrikerR
Oct 8, 2008, 08:21 PM
Well at least with MAG it went to 4.5 stars or so on the main uni..for pc/ps2 anyway. But I truly doubt the servers will hit 3 stars in the next event.

RyuRoots
Oct 8, 2008, 08:22 PM
No, the same thing will happen with any update that people consider "big". A few people will come back for a few days, then the population will return to normal. But really, I don't care about such people very much. If you don't like the game until whatever update comes, and then proceed to go absent until the next update after that and whine until we get it, the game would be better off without such people at all, I think.

Jinu_San
Oct 8, 2008, 08:22 PM
i think ppl will continue to only show up on events... the only way they will not continue to loose ppl is if they treats us the same way as the jp servers i think... and that is doubtfull

Kylie
Oct 8, 2008, 08:27 PM
People will come back, sure, but few will be new. :/

SStrikerR
Oct 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
I do wonder if anybody else is like me who doesn't come back just for big updates, but just comes back when he/she wants to play again. I think I'm gonna get on right now if it works, if anybody wants to meet me at the raffon base uni 15 in a few mins...if it works. (ps2/pc)
I'll only do 1 run tonight, just for a bit of practice.

engelsein
Oct 8, 2008, 08:31 PM
I do wonder if anybody else is like me who doesn't come back just for big updates, but just comes back when he/she wants to play again. I think I'm gonna get on right now if it works, if anybody wants to meet me at the raffon base uni 15 in a few mins...if it works. (ps2/pc)

i do that.. i just came back two days ago because i felt like playing. thats it

-Jet-
Oct 8, 2008, 08:35 PM
Not for me. I've been off for a month and the will to come back to this game is diminishing. Oh well, as soon as Fallout 3 arrives I'll probably be gone for good.

Aisha379
Oct 8, 2008, 08:37 PM
I usually come back a bit before events and stay for a month or so after they've ended. I just have very few cards of people who still play, and when theres no one else on and nothing much to hunt, it gets dull. *shrug*

I think people will come back, but few (if any) will be new people - after all, whats the point in someone new joining right at the start of events when they are all obviously geared more towards higher level players?

I believe this pattern will continue until Sega does some serious overhaul to bring people back (read: will never happen), if theres a new expansion (doubtful, but plausible), or until the population just dries itself out and all but the most stubborn and thickheaded of players are left - in which case Sega will probably pull the plug.

Xefi
Oct 8, 2008, 08:43 PM
Me & Cz will be playing PSU until it's no
more; It's like the only online game we'll
ever be playing for a very long time.

And most likely like some have mention,
population will increase to 4-5* during
events and then it'll drop down again
once it's over, sadly. :|

edit: i'm mentioning about the PC/ps2
server side.

The Red Mirage
Oct 8, 2008, 08:49 PM
I plan on playing my part until the end. This little story of mine has had quite a few ups and downs and a few plot twists as well... may as well stick around to see how it all ends.

Para
Oct 8, 2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah... playing until the end for me too, sad that there will be few left.

Noblewine
Oct 8, 2008, 09:32 PM
I will continue playing the game regardless of the dramatic decrease of people. I actually like the way the game is now. I can really care less about trying to revive the game. The event will probably bring back some people but I doubt they'll stick around after its over.

Pika
Oct 8, 2008, 11:09 PM
didn't we have a pretty nice update a few weeks back? 2 or 3? seems we got 1 or 2 weeks with out a really great update everyone complains.....meh.

i see no problems, or much change in popularity, obviously theres more on during events, but thats about it.

also...calling people stubborn or thickheaded for continuing to play a game they like seems a bit much..rather..way to much.....just cause you get bored, doesn't mean every one...

Aisha379
Oct 8, 2008, 11:34 PM
also...calling people stubborn or thickheaded for continuing to play a game they like seems a bit much..rather..way to much.....just cause you get bored, doesn't mean every one...

Mostly said that because of this:

The people who enjoy the game will stay/come back. The people who have no lives and play this game to fill the gaping hole in their life everyday will leave once it stops doing so.

Which just sounds funny to me really =X

Also, updates will never satisfy people. If its nothing big, they will complain, if it IS something big, it will either "last too long" (See: Neudaiz GBR) or people will just get really bored fast, or it will be screwed up (See: Bladed Legacy boss boxes).

So I honestly don't believe any updates short of a huge game overhaul will change the way people act. I bet people will be bitchy again within a month after Masterclasses are released, even =S

Pika
Oct 8, 2008, 11:37 PM
missed that one ._.

i just dislike seeing insulting looking comments based on what someone plays.

Aisha379
Oct 8, 2008, 11:41 PM
Well, I certainly think anyone who plays the game from the start till when the servers asplode without any breaks is certainly thickheaded.

Or maybe "has way more patience than me" is a better term.

I didn't mean any offense by it though >_>

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Oct 8, 2008, 11:51 PM
Don't people pile in on updates anyway?

I mean if you're wondering if this will bring in new players, most likely not. Will it bring back some old players? it might if they care.

buzyb77
Oct 8, 2008, 11:54 PM
Will S3, Dengeki Carnival, or anything else Sega could possibly do revive PSU in the US or will it continue to lose players to Sega's lack of worth-while updates and glitchy servers? What do you think?

by the time we get the S# it will be wayyy too late And Denki comes out during Fable 2 and GoW 2...so no

Pika
Oct 8, 2008, 11:55 PM
bah, its not really a patience thing, some people just really like the game. I've been around since PSO first came out...the only real breaks iv taken are when i lacked money/equipment to get online. iv always enjoyed the community, dont see that changing.

i can see why others would get bored tho..its not exactly the most exciting game play...

System-Id
Oct 9, 2008, 12:54 AM
Events always bring alot of people back people tend to re-new juss for events .-.

ashley50
Oct 9, 2008, 01:23 AM
players will come back and then leave after they "tested" out the new difficulty/event mission(s)

its been like that since...from the start?

It'll always be liek that for the US servers or mainly the PC/PS2/PS3 servers...

EasyBake Oven
Oct 9, 2008, 02:01 AM
Me and a friend of mine were recommended to the game and just started playing today and its been quite a bit of fun. Everyone we've met with have been both kind and informative and one person even gave us 300k apiece o.o (it was spent by making my characters look cool though lol) Is it really so strange to see new players on the game? I probably haven't see an eighth of the stuff to do so I can't figure how you can be so bored. Its a little weird having most places I've been be really empty but the one place with alot of really uber CASTs at the end of the mission.

DraginHikari
Oct 9, 2008, 02:04 AM
Unforutunely this is being to look more and more like the fate of PSOBB slowly dwindling and one day probably cease to exist.

But unlike PSOBB which had what I can't mention here, I don't there be anyone to revive this one, at least not for the PS2/PC

I love this game but it's beginning to look rather bleak >>

Seority
Oct 9, 2008, 02:32 AM
I believe Dengeki will go as any event we had. Lots of people during it, then most leave afterward. I do, however, think that S3 missions will make the game challenging again, bringing back some players who left due to the easiness of it. ^^

Pentence
Oct 9, 2008, 03:34 AM

Same here i totaly just come back when i can afford ti and feel like it.I hope to come back before x-mas this year and do some RP eventsi have been waiting to do.

DarkEliteRico
Oct 9, 2008, 04:06 AM
I love this game but I've been playing it less and less. When there's nothing much else for me to do other then hunt the same rares over and over again trying to inflate my pocketbook in game it gets boring.

I would LOVE to see the same kind of update pattern as the JP servers but I don't think it will ever happen with our diminishing population. The events are a great way to bring people back but they're again usually boring and temporary.

Most US/EU players want more to do or more challenging missions. There's nothing we can't do solo or in 2-3 man teams these days. Unfortunately most of my regulars are off on other games till we have more content and right now I'm right with them. This game will be here for a while longer and eventually we'll either get more stuff or truely grow tired of it and leave for brighter fields.

BIGGIEstyle
Oct 9, 2008, 06:33 AM
I didn't mean to sound mean with my earlier post, so if I upset anyone I apologize.

What I meant is that there are two types of people I've come in contact with:

The "Gamers" and the "PSU players"

The Gamers will leave any number of games that they used to play if they aren't getting CONSTANT support or new things out of a game for a bigger better one that is coming out.

The PSU players are those of us who have played other online games and found them lackluster and choose to stick with PSU because we enjoy it- not because of what's GIVEN to us.

I enjoy a fair share of games but nothing is good enough in my opinion to make me cancel my PSU subscription. I still have much left to do in this game. Some people don't. I'm just saying that when it comes down to it, you either like this game enough to pay for it, or you don't.

I do.

EMPYREAN
Oct 9, 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm just saying that when it comes down to it, you either like this game enough to pay for it, or you don't.

we r paying to play it AND to get new content, not just play it.

and since sega fails in giving us uppdates, and moust of us have been playing this game for so long that ther is abseloutly nothing left to do but to wait for new content, then why should we pay for a game that some of us(me included) still likes but dont play any longer due to lack of uppdates?

Kinako78
Oct 9, 2008, 09:10 AM

"We"? Don't speak for everybody. I'm sure that's true for most players, but not for me. I just pay to play it. Updates are nice, of course, but I manage to fill the void quite well in the meantime.

DraginHikari
Oct 9, 2008, 11:56 AM

and since sega fails in giving us uppdates, and moust of us have been playing this game for so long that ther is abseloutly nothing left to do but to wait for new content, then why should we pay for a game that some of us(me included) still likes but dont play any longer due to lack of uppdates?

Actually according to most ToS in games like this what your paying for is the 'right' to use their servers. They don't gurantee upgrades if you pay if you want to be techincally about it XD

Aussei
Oct 9, 2008, 01:42 PM
I play on both US and JP servers and to be completely honest, I may know Japanese, and have no problem with language barriers, and even have some english speaking buddies.... The population of the JP server doesn't make it fun on my behalf..... It makes it alot easier to find peopel to play with, if one universe doesn't have people just go to another kewl there are more......But I mean the population doesn't go crazy until a certain time of day. Othertimes like if I tried to get online at 5 in the evening EST time there are like 1-3 stars on some universes and if I go on at like 10 A.M EST then there's like 2-5 stars on each server, I hardly see any filled because of the fact that everyone spreads out.

You can be jealous of the population in the JP servers but that doesn't guarantee fun, the people don't like getting close to you as a friend really....They just look at you as someone to play with, they don't like talking personal, I've never seen anyone talk personal and have never talked personal with any fo them unless they spoke english.... And I've tested it, I've pushed it and crossed the line, asked if some were really female or not, they were nice about it but were really hesitant to answer.

I honestly like the US servers better, it may be a smaller population but you always see the same people. And honestly if there were only 1 universe and everyone were to play on just that one universe I think it would almost be full. I'm playing to the end,

amtalx
Oct 9, 2008, 01:55 PM
If you look at the game over its entire lifespan, its been dying a slow death from the beginning. Yes, events bring back players. But each time less and less people return. New memberships are probably at a virtual standstill as well. Its rare for any ORPG, save for juggernauts like WoW, to actually increase membership over a long period of time. Usually, a game is introduced, interest spikes a little later, and it is a slow decline from that point on.

PSU was never a top tier game. We all knew that. This just sucks because the game could have been so much more with better promotion and management that wasn't marred with incompetence.

sephiroth115
Oct 9, 2008, 02:19 PM
I've found that *alot* of the players who have been on the game the longest, or alot of the elitests are jerks. I was randomly in the raffon field base with my highest charcter 106 and an individual comes by and goes. "Ha most spells are very low for a high level." Which to me was translated as "Noob, why don't you go outside and play hide and go @$%! yourself" Um... I have a life and more then 1 character. sorry for not wanting to power level. I if I level up I level up, thats all there is to it

Pika
Oct 9, 2008, 02:39 PM
ill never understand this complaint of no updates....we get updates, we just dont get tons every week. but we get updates. yes, were behind japan...we always have been, always will be. were a bit further behind then originally planned due to a few problems that came up...we still get updates, Sega isnt gonna drop us and stop giving the updates....this update schedule is just awesome compared to what we had on past Phantasy Star games....

meh, but iv said this over and over, and the same people will still complain, so i suppose i should just drop it, and enjoy the game, as i plan to go no where any time soon.

Shinko
Oct 9, 2008, 03:23 PM
Well to me the most important part to any mmo is players. Thats the whole point in play a mmo is that u can have MANY people around the world to play with. If you didnt want to do that there be no point in playing an mmo online.

Now seeing as have many players is the most important thing in mmo's, sega's main thing should be how are we going to get people to play psu and stay or how can we get ppl to come and when ever someone leave there always some else joining. something with in those lines. But see there more on trying to get the ppl who still plays instead of trying to get new players.

now i know i hear this bull (especailly from the pc/ps2 side) oh i have no problem with the small bit of ppl we have. I have a good group of friends that play and thats all i need. ppl who complain about that just have no friends...... i say beh to that

1st off yes it good to have friends but some ppl want to play with others some time and what do u do when there not on huh? .... yea u join random parties... problem is that there very few of them... most are lock and other are in random uni's.

also what about new players (WHICH SEGA NEEDS TO BE FOCUS ON) now seeing that there's not that many ppl. it we be hard to find friends to play with, hard to lvl, hard to get info because lvl's dont want to help new ppl... like being a noob is BAD thing. so in the end most of the new players will leave.

but my main point is events is not enough and also it not good when the events is only really gear toward high lvls. Also they need to stop with the swear ups. The only way can make its come back is if the focus more on the new players....

(me my self though have been playing for awhile and will keep doing so untill it shut down. its sad to see it die like this. i like this game alot.... but hey what can u do. On and i'm on the pc/ps2 side..... though im going to switch soon to 360)

Darius_Drake
Oct 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
I've found that *alot* of the players who have been on the game the longest, or alot of the elitests are jerks. I was randomly in the raffon field base with my highest charcter 106 and an individual comes by and goes. "Ha most spells are very low for a high level." Which to me was translated as "Noob, why don't you go outside and play hide and go @$%! yourself" Um... I have a life and more then 1 character. sorry for not wanting to power level. I if I level up I level up, thats all there is to it

Not all players who have been on the game for a long time are elitists or jerks. Those people seem to be vets and newcomers alike. Some people who used the events to max out a character can be just as much of an elitest or jerk. I have been on the game from day 1 and I am not an elitist nor do I consider myself a jerk. I will actually help others level if they ask. I have actually had people cuss me out for locking a run where I am hunting a specific item. Didn't ask if they could join or why I had a password, just cussed me out. Give the some of the older players a chance, don't have us be judged by a few jerks.

RemiusTA
Oct 9, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think I could care less if temperamental players whine and leave. It doesn't affect me until they pull the plug on our servers, so as long as that doesn't happen I don't really care.

I'll be here until the servers burn because I like the game, plain and simple.

This sounds like the typical delusional answer of one who hates to admit this game is already deep down the drain.

In truth, i think nothing can save this game from its current horrible position. It has less players than almost any known MMO alive right now in this region. SEGA refuses to pick up the speed on delivering updates, and every screw up continues to add weeks and and months onto the behind time.

No event can save this game. The only "event" that can save this game would be Sega catching up to the JP servers in update content. But since thats the most unlikely thing to suspect for us, no i dont believe this game can be revived.

Carnival event will maybe give us 3-6 full lit stars, but even that is pushing it. Doesnt matter, after the event is finished the returned players will quickly return to the conclusion that they are playing a game under bullshit management after they must wait another full month from then for the rewards to hit, and then feel even more despair once they see that the Japanese are about to start running an event that they are still months behind.

For me, the ONLY reason i dont play this game anymore is because i see what our servers should have, but dont. We should have all the updates the JP have right now. Our servers are even super far behind in content that the JP servers had in their same time of life.

Sega just does not see this game as a responsibility, and sadly it shows.

panzer_unit
Oct 9, 2008, 04:25 PM
I believe Dengeki will go as any event we had. Lots of people during it, then most leave afterward. I do, however, think that S3 missions will make the game challenging again, bringing back some players who left due to the easiness of it. ^^

For me the decrease in difficulty (solo = bit of a chore, 2-3 players = fast and fun, 4+ = half the party is standing still chatting at any given time) made PSU play a lot better. Monsters went down in one PA combo instead of having to spam the same attacks on the same thing two or three times. The pace of play was better, PA combos looked better for actually wiping stuff out on their more powerful-looking hits, etc.

Since getting my PS3 though I've moved to online games where you can do so much more with your character, dodge, block, jump and climb... more dynamic counterattacks and offensive combos. Basically it needs a another expansion to update gameplay and make it interesting/relevant again.

funnymatt
Oct 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
This sounds like the typical delusional answer of one who hates to admit this game is already deep down the drain.

In truth, i think nothing can save this game from its current horrible position. It has less players than almost any known MMO alive right now in this region. SEGA refuses to pick up the speed on delivering updates, and every screw up continues to add weeks and and months onto the behind time.

No event can save this game. The only "event" that can save this game would be Sega catching up to the JP servers in update content. But since thats the most unlikely thing to suspect for us, no i dont believe this game can be revived.

Carnival event will maybe give us 3-6 full lit stars, but even that is pushing it. Doesnt matter, after the event is finished the returned players will quickly return to the conclusion that they are playing a game under bullshit management after they must wait another full month from then for the rewards to hit, and then feel even more despair once they see that the Japanese are about to start running an event that they are still months behind.

For me, the ONLY reason i dont play this game anymore is because i see what our servers should have, but dont. We should have all the updates the JP have right now. Our servers are even super far behind in content that the JP servers had in their same time of life.

Sega just does not see this game as a responsibility, and sadly it shows.

Actually, I think it sounds like what he said- he enjoys the game and will keep playing it. That's how I feel about PSU. I've been around since launch day, and the population has grown substantially since that time. When I want to solo, I can solo, and when I want to play in a party, it's easy to find one for whatever the hot spots are at the time. During events we tend to get 3+ full universes on weekends, and 2+ during the week. Times like now (between events), Universe 1 is usually full when I'm on, and Universe 2 is about half full. I'm happy with the update schedule- we've received far more support than I ever expected for this game. If you don't like the game for whatever reason, go ahead and cancel. There will still be enough of us that pay for Sega to keep the servers going another couple years.

GreenArcher
Oct 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
This game is dead/dying, and a revival is not going to happen. However, if you really enjoy this game that doesn't make a bit of difference, because there are enough people to keep you going, and I'm talking from the PC/PS2 side. What someone said earlier is true; you DO see the same people a lot.

I've been here since day 1 and I'll be here until the servers die.

But bottom line is, if you're conserned about population at this point in the game's life, then you're doing something wrong

BIGGIEstyle
Oct 9, 2008, 09:28 PM
#1- This sounds like the typical delusional answer of one who hates to admit this game is already deep down the drain.

In truth, i think nothing can save this game from its current horrible position. #2- It has less players than almost any known MMO alive right now in this region. SEGA refuses to pick up the speed on delivering updates, and every screw up continues to add weeks and and months onto the behind time.

#3- No event can save this game. The only "event" that can save this game would be Sega catching up to the JP servers in update content. But since thats the most unlikely thing to suspect for us, no i dont believe this game can be revived.

For me, #4- the ONLY reason i dont play this game anymore is because i see what our servers should have, but dont.We should have all the updates the JP have right now. Our servers are even super far behind in content that the JP servers had in their same time of life.

#5- Sega just does not see this game as a responsibility, and sadly it shows.

#1: I have never said anything otherwise than the fact that our game is in very dire straits. If the population decline continues Sega will eventually lose enough money that they'll pull the plug. This aside, I am nowhere near delusional about this fact, but if you had a friend that was shot and left to die would you help him or shoot him yourself?

#2: There are plenty of other MMOs that have a lower population than PSU. Try playing the steaming pile that Hellgate:London turned out to be. THe difference, is you see ads and previews for EVERYTHING ELSE on the market. How many PSU ads have you seen?

#3: You are 100% correct sir. You know what CAN save the game? People who just complain and whine about everything and berate the game leaving for good and letting newer players that like the game take their place. We can help accomplish this as a community by giving people a reason to keep playing. There was a great event held by the SOS earlier in the month that was a blast, and to be honest I've seen more new players (completely new to the game) in the last 3 days than all the "vets" I've ever seen. This is proof that the game isn't dead yet, so quit trying to bury it.

#4: Fixed:
the ONLY reason i dont play this game anymore is because i want what those other guys have!!!!I see all the cool stuff they have and cry myself to sleep over it.
You don't have anything keeping you playing the game? Leave. Save yourself $10/month and the headache. While you're at it, why do you post on forums for a game you don't play? Let's let those who don't enjoy the game leave in peace and let those who play for fun take their place.

#5: After seeing all the whining, nagging, and complaining about EVERYTHING here and on the main boards, who would you treat better if you were Sega, the people who play your game graciously and only complain when something is wrong (technical issues), or the ugly, slobbering savage masses of neanderthals who BAW about everything just to complain and do nothing but berate you even when you GIVE THEM UPDATES.

Btw Remius, haven't seen ya around in a while on the forums, nice to see you're back XD