PDA

View Full Version : PS0 Tokyo Game Show 2008 News and Updates

Risingsun
Oct 9, 2008, 04:31 AM
http://www.gamekyo.com/newsen29235_phantasy-star-0-new-screenshots.html
Hey, some great new shots when up just now. Now we know what one of the menu screens looks like, too bad i can't read it.
It also looks like Humarl is using a spear. Nice.

http://www.gamekyo.com/videoen13295_phantasy-star-0-first-gameplay-video-from-tgs.html
Here's a first gameplay video of Phantasy Star 0 for the Nintendo DS taken during Tokyo Game Show 2008.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41155.html
Here is more new gameplay footage from Gametrailers.com.
This time they are using a Humar.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170507
A Hands on Preview from 1up, Thanks to Saphion for finding it.

Here is a video booth tour of Sega at TGS. They show off PS0 briefly.
http://dol.dengeki.com/sp/tgs2008/asx/081010_tgs_sega.asx

TGS PS0 Stage Presentation. Credit to Kesubei and DC_Player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgHVE85MqM

Gemel
Oct 9, 2008, 04:37 AM
Ooh wow, thank you so much!

The links though are kinda screwy, when I took out the the three dots in a row they worked fine.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 04:59 AM
Nice! Thanks for the links man! Nice, I see some Evolved MAGs there.

That Dragon is awesome!

Adriano
Oct 9, 2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks, That dragon was shooting light stuff, maybe it IS something like a HUEG nano dragon. :o

And that spinning move, nice to see some totally new stuff on the dragon aha, yay no burrowing. <.<
I think with those shorts humar looks totally stupid aha I hope theres a suit with pants, or just like in pso, I'll avoid the class altogether <<;
I can't wait to see the other character models in action. :yes:
I really can't wait for this game. I might import.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 05:20 AM
I like that it terrorizes while flying! really neat.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 9, 2008, 05:27 AM
Really cool vids and pics.

Dang, the people playing the game in that gameplay vid seem to be kinda of really
sucky at the game. They must of never played PSO or PSU....
It's cool that FO's can attack with their rod or wand now.

It seemd like there was possibly evovled Mags in there too; so that was very cool.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 05:34 AM
I think those were the only 4 chars on that demo, I want to see moar.

I want to see the Racast or Humar next, I want to see how they work.

Also note the strange double saber Humarl has.

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 06:07 AM
There's some kind of unwritten law that dictates anyone able to play games ahead of it's release date inevitably suck at it, just to mock us.

I remember seeing an offscreen video of New Super Mario Bros. before release and the person playing didn't know how to run. It was pitiful.

Regardless, thanks for the video, OP!

DeltaJedi
Oct 9, 2008, 06:31 AM
Man, the guy playing made it kinda look not that fun x.x

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 07:04 AM
Things of note from the video;

- PSO style 'orbs' appear above dead players.
- The Dragon's entrance and death animations are almost identical to PSO's
- PSO's boss teleporter returns!
- Chests which spew a collection of items when opened. (Although items are now diamond shaped, by the look of things.)
- The person playing is a complete moron.
- The speech bubble with three dots which appeared over a player's head. Wonder what that means? Presumably it means he or she is accessing the menu.
- I want this game, really badly.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 07:13 AM
few new Screenshots.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/110/110873/

Nuclearranger
Oct 9, 2008, 08:54 AM
Nice Thank You!

Nuclearranger
Oct 9, 2008, 08:58 AM
That Deki site didn't have to much more or anything terribly interesting though.
Thanks for linking anyway!

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah, not much to see but 2 or 3 new screens.

Darius_Drake
Oct 9, 2008, 11:20 AM
Things of note from the video;

- Blah, blah, blah.
- Blah, blah, blah.
- Blah, blah, blah.
- Blah, blah, blah.
- The person playing is a complete moron.
- Blah, blah, blah.
- I want this game, really badly.

Here we go. :D

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
Here we go. :D

Pretty much! :D

Niered
Oct 9, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hehe, guy playing reminds me of when I first played PSO.

i how 3 hit combo plz

Gahd I was stupid back then.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 11:50 AM
Oh, so thats why the person playing was all lost. ^^;

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
You can see some of the evolved MAGs in the video as well; they're very familiar...

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 12:11 PM
I got to play the game at TGS yesterday. The character I played as is the same one in the video linked in the first post. I used to play with that character-class a lot in PSO and as far as I can tell, she pretty much plays the same way she did in that game. She had a fireball, ice attack, and was able to heal herself. The L button straightens the camera. The R button accesses the 2ndary attack buttons. If you hold the standard attack button for a few seconds and then release, she'll do a spinning attack that damages surrounding enemies. And I'd swear that her melee attack was stronger than her fire and ice attacks. To chat, you press a button on the touch screen which opens a big window in which you can scribble whatever you want. You can still move around when it's open. The only thing it does is cover up your stats. Oh, that plastic Rappi that's in that Dengeki picture is the schwag they give away when the demo is over.

Risingsun
Oct 9, 2008, 12:16 PM
I got to play the game at TGS yesterday. The character I played as is the same one in the video linked in the first post. I used to play with that character-class a lot in PSO and as far as I can tell, she pretty much plays the same way she did in that game. She had a fireball, ice attack, and was able to heal herself. The L button straightens the camera. The R button accesses the 2ndary attack buttons. If you hold the standard attack button for a few seconds and then release, she'll do a spinning attack that damages surrounding enemies. And I'd swear that her melee attack was stronger than her fire and ice attacks. To chat, you press a button on the touch screen which opens a big window in which you can scribble whatever you want. You can still move around when it's open. The only thing it does is cover up your stats. Oh, that plastic Rappi that's in that Dengeki picture is the schwag they give away when the demo is over.

what magazine or website are you with? It is not open to the public yet, right?.

TheOneHero
That's some awesome stuff Darth. From how you described it, it seems the PSO attack set-up is returned? That's awesome! ;o

I so want partisan-sweeping motion back. D:

Astarin
Man. It's painful to watch that video. I wanted to scream when the FOnewearl was just running back and forth uselessly during the boss fight.

One hilarious/awesome thing I noticed, that no-one has commented on yet... Watch carefully when the dragon dies. Death animation is the same as PSO - right down to taking damage if the thing falls on you. Looks like we could be killed if caught under the falling boss again! :wacko:

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 12:25 PM
What magazine or website are you with? It is not open to the public yet.

I write for 411mania.com. I'm not as active as I used to be though.

Risingsun
Oct 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
I write for 411mania.com. I'm not as active as I used to be though.

Fantastic. Could you give us an insiders look at the show?

pikachief
Oct 9, 2008, 12:29 PM
thnx for the info darthjones!

also idk if u could tell by what u had or not, if the spells looked more PSO or PSU related?

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
That's some awesome stuff Darth. From how you described it, it seems the PSO attack set-up is returned? That's awesome! ;o

I so want partisan-sweeping motion back. D:

Yeah. Pretty much. I didn't try out the combo system though (I don't even know if there is one). When I play it again today I'll experiment a little.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 01:04 PM
I envy you Jones, bring a video cam lol.

Oh and what as the lengh of the level? was the level PSO like or PSU like?

Sesshoumaru25
Oct 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
What is shown on the bottom screen?

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 01:17 PM
Behold! the bottom screen!

Risingsun
Oct 9, 2008, 01:22 PM

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 01:47 PM
I envy you Jones, bring a video cam lol.

Oh and what as the lengh of the level? was the level PSO like or PSU like?

No cameras were allowed in the demo area, but they do have a TV which shows the top screen of one of the demo stations. I might take some pics of that (sorry, no video camera), but it's pretty much what you've seen in released screenshots.

The way it plays is that you're in an area, you beat monsters, then you go to the exit, then you find yourself in the next area. It's not like you go from room to room to room (or area to area since it was all outside). I guess the DS can't handle too many interconnected rooms (or maybe they just didn't want to show it yet). I don't know if you can go back. The demo was maybe 5 or 6 of those areas.

Kesubei
Oct 9, 2008, 01:52 PM
The way it plays is that you're in an area, you beat monsters, then you go to the exit, then you find yourself in the next area. It's not like you go from room to room to room. I guess the DS can't handle too many interconnected rooms (or maybe they just didn't want to show it yet). I don't know if you can go back. The demo was maybe 5 or 6 of those areas.

Not too shocking. The DS cart can hold, what, 256MB? And PSO used a 1 GB disk. I just hope the rooms aren't too small. Looks good for a DS game!

TheOneHero
Oct 9, 2008, 01:55 PM
In the most recent trailer, it seems that after the HUmar opened the chest and collected all the items, the other players collected some as well.

So, when you open the chest, all the items are yours? Like, each person has their own chest?

Niered
Oct 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
Nice, I wanna see a Ranger play though. I wish this video was longer, the guy playing was actually EVADING! *gasp*

Also, I realize I'm a total illustration/animation nerd for noticing this, but catch the dragon landing! The sense of weight is awesome, the dust cloud shoots up, and the dragon collapses a little, making him feel heavy!

I realize that its just a little thing, but the reason I hated beast transformations in PSU was that they didnt have that, they didnt have a sense of weight.

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 02:00 PM
As far as I could tell, you can get whatever you want. There's only one box and the stuff that came out wasn't assigned to anyone. I was the only one that actually picked stuff up. The other players didn't seem to know how get the items on the ground.

Dragwind
Oct 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
I liked that HUmar video more than the FOnewearl one. I love how items boxes have the PSO colors to them. I also heard a hint of PSO music in there. ;o

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 02:02 PM
Oh. I forgot to mention that one of the buttons allows you to roll on the ground. I should have used it more often. It would have been helpful when the dragon did its flying spinning attack.

TheOneHero
Oct 9, 2008, 02:03 PM
Oh I see, Darth. I guess that's going to create a bunch of assholes. :disapprove: (Regarding the chest)

Niered, I totally agree, it gets me excited. :3 I hated the Beast Transformations in PSU, they not only had no sense of weight, but they ran the same speed as other players. It may be just me, but I would think some huge ol' beast, even running on two legs, would go faster than humans/CASTs.

Dragwind, I'm pretty excited to see PSO box colors. Let's just hope a PhotonDrop isn't the same color as a rare, yeah? :wacko:

MrPOW
Oct 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
I love the music :D

Niered
Oct 9, 2008, 02:11 PM
Oh. I forgot to mention that one of the buttons allows you to roll on the ground. I should have used it more often. It would have been helpful when the dragon did its flying spinning attack.
You mentioned earlier that you werent even sure of combos, most of us knew about the evade button, and it has been confirmed their are combos. If possible, can you tell us/find out about the special attacks? Since youve played PSO, you know about the difference in Heavy and Normal attacks, but it was also stated on the official PSZ website that we are getting special attacks. How do they work, and how are they different from techniques?

P.S. I envy you for your job.

Kesubei
Oct 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
The sound effects are terrible. I'm not sure if SEGA is trying to pull a DQ, and use classic 8-bit sound effects or whatever, but it doesn't fit.

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 02:36 PM
You mentioned earlier that you werent even sure of combos, most of us knew about the evade button, and it has been confirmed their are combos. If possible, can you tell us/find out about the special attacks? Since youve played PSO, you know about the difference in Heavy and Normal attacks, but it was also stated on the official PSZ website that we are getting special attacks. How do they work, and how are they different from techniques?

P.S. I envy you for your job.

I can try. I can't guarantee anything though. Nobody at the station knew English, but they did show me a moves chart that was in English. I'll check it out again today to see if it mentions anything about special attacks.

Nightmarestar
Oct 9, 2008, 02:36 PM
O.O
PSO is back...

Risingsun
Oct 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
I can try. I can't guarantee anything though. Nobody at the station knew English, but they did show me a moves chart that was in English. I'll check it out again today to see if it mentions anything about special attacks.
If at all possible, can you take a picture of that move chart?

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 02:41 PM
The sound effects are... underwhelming. Music is nice, though. (Especially the calm music after the Dragon is defeated.)

Apart from that, it looks like more PSO.

Which is exactly what I've wanted for the past 4 years.

YUM YUM YUM.

Kumlekar
Oct 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
What I'm worried about is that the person might have been almost competent, and the controls/camera are so bad that playing above that level is difficult. Thats just based on their reaction ot the dragons barrel-roll attack.

Aumi
Oct 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
I guess the sound effects aren't perfect, but I guess it's partly because of the limited storage capacity, the DS's not perfect speakers and lots of background noise.

darthjones
Oct 9, 2008, 02:55 PM
If at all possible, can you take a picture of that move chart?
Probably not. No cameras are allowed in the demo area and the chart is laminated, so I doubt they'd let me take it with me.

VR-Raiden
Oct 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
damn this game looks awesome ^^

I seriously LOL'd when the dragon did the spin attack from behind on that guy.

"wait what? where'd he go? OMGWTF" XD

that's so awesome they've made the Dragon much like PSO's.

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 03:55 PM
1up.com's incredibly vague preview of the game can be found here (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170507).

Niered
Oct 9, 2008, 04:08 PM
1up.com's incredibly vague preview of the game can be found here (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3170507).
Thanks for the link, but damn, that's about as ambiguous as it gets.

The loot system will be the deciding factor? What other incredible nuggets will 1up bestow upon us? The multiplayer is a critical component of phantasy star! Combos involve timing! You fight a MUDDAFEKKIN DRAGON.

I find previews to be mostly silly. Every once in awhile you get a good one, but for the most part theyre worthless.

Risingsun
Oct 9, 2008, 04:11 PM

The loot system will be the deciding factor? What other incredible nuggets will 1up bestow upon us? The multiplayer is a critical component of phantasy star! Combos involve timing! You fight a MUDDAFEKKIN DRAGON.

I find previews to be mostly silly. Every once in awhile you get a good one, but for the most part theyre worthless.

To be fair, that preview wasnt designed for Hardcore people like us on a PSO forum. Its just a general preview for your average reader. It gives you a decent idea of the game.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah Game reviewers are trained that way plus they have their own favorite games, that is why some bad games get uber reviews sometimes and you go like WhAt!!?.

pikachief
Oct 9, 2008, 05:07 PM
well i just saw the new video and they're making it look bad by not using the L button to center the camera more so they know what they're doing >.>

:/

Saphion
Oct 9, 2008, 06:33 PM

It was worth posting the preview purely because of this post! It made me grin, anyway. :D

PrinceRhys
Oct 9, 2008, 10:37 PM
I like the overall speed. No more slow motion dragons. I guess if they give you a dodge button, they feel they can speed things up. It's all more lively. And the fireball(s) the dragon shoots are fast like PS1 fireballs. Good stuff.

Blueblur
Oct 10, 2008, 12:02 AM
I was just watching the GameTrailers video. The item pick-up sound effect is the one from PSO! (I'm so excited!) And the music playing after the dragon is defeated is classic PSO music, right?

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 03:52 AM
It sounds very similar, but it's not the same one (I think.)

Epically Leet
Oct 10, 2008, 06:37 AM
O_O

GUYS! This looks too freakin' awesoooooooooooome!!!!!!!

They've done it. Yes yes yes!

Time to watch the videos 5 times more.

Risingsun
Oct 10, 2008, 07:58 AM
Here is a video booth tour of Sega at TGS. They show off PS0 briefly.
http://dol.dengeki.com/sp/tgs2008/asx/081010_tgs_sega.asx

Kesubei
Oct 10, 2008, 08:43 AM
For those of you who use Nico Video, someone put up a video of SEGA's 18-minute presentation on PS0 done at TGS, split into two (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4884751) parts (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4885242). It's not subtitled, of course. You may also want to check Youtube for it.

Adriano
Oct 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
Wow, Racaseal looks almost exactly the same, aha, I like how she's standing it's cute.
And thank god you can pick different options for the antenna things, though I don't know if they change with or seperate from the hairstyles on the newman hunters.

And was that a Rika's Claw I Saw that humar using? :o
it even made the same sounds as the rika's claw.

I wish I could understand the part talking about wi-fi

Lobby actions!

It's official I'm making a hunewearl :o

It looks like the gun's have photon arts/charge attacks??
It's weird though it looked like the humar was using a cannon, and he jumped up and shot something at the ground and it made an explosion.

OH nice you can guard against attacks(using shields), and fight without weapons.
And I'm fairly certain that was a rika's claw, holy shit, I'm gonna take screens.

AXE?
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZAXE.jpg

Some hawt doublesaber
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZDoublesaber.jpg

Shield that you can block with, and attack with
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZGUARD.jpg

Rika's claw
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZRIKAS.jpg
I also saw a scythe, but I couldn't get a good pic of it. :(
Sorry if they're blurry, the camera was spinning in circles.

Towards the end of the first video they show a bunch of the bosses, I believe, theres a huge yetti thing in the snow level, and a huge octopus in the watery one aha this looks so nice.

I just saw a hucast use a sort of SUV type thing, I'll screen cap it.

YETTI thingy
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZYETTI.jpg

SQUIDBOSSY MABOB
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZSQUID.jpg

Suv/Photonblasty thing:o

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZSUV.jpg

then this thing dropped out of the sky and was swinging a huge sword/saber.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm46/adrianopsu/PSZSUV1.jpg

they showed a bird flying around the enemies with zonde coming down behind it wherever it went doing alot of damage, relative compaired to the weapon damage seen thus far (it was doing 300-350, as opposed to the 30-40 damage we've seen) and then the bird like faded out and a body showed up. :o
I wonder if it's a racial ability, anyway, I hope somebody else watches both of these, I'm too lazy to watch the second one aha. I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far so...all signs are pointing to me getting this. lol

Segya
Oct 10, 2008, 09:36 AM
so what is that KK文 (bun) chat?

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the screengrabs!

The variety of weapons is mighty appealing. Can't wait to start looking for them!

Risingsun
Oct 10, 2008, 09:57 AM
http://thenextweb.org/2008/01/15/how-to-register-for-japanese-video-site-nico-nico-douga/
If you want to watch the videos for yourself but dont read japanese. use this guide to join the site. It is really easy and I already watched both videos a few times.

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
Just watching the video myself; good god, I foresee hours spent messing about with the chat in the central hub area. It looks fantastic.

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
It looks like there are three character slots.

Adriano
Oct 10, 2008, 10:09 AM
It looks like there are three character slots.

Oh that's what that was!
well now I have to think about the classes I want to play most ;|

Kesubei
Oct 10, 2008, 10:11 AM
OK, I did my best to translate the first video (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4884751), which is the producer of the game going over some major parts of PS0. {} indicates where in the video this section takes place.

--

(The presentation begins with a question to the producer from the MC.)

Q: What is the meaning behind the title, "Phantasy Star Zero?"
A: We wanted to create a completely new game, with new characters, a new
story and a new world. It's called "Phantasy Star Zero" because we aimed to
return to the feel of the original work.

After that, he begins his presentation about the game, starting with

Visualchat {0:49}

With visualchat, not only can you communicate with letters and characters,
but you can also send unique pictures. This tool will making chatting more
fun than just sending simple words. You can even use your favorite illustrations to surprise your friends!

-Store visualchats into shortcuts {1:18}

Also, you can also send visualchats that you've saved into shortcuts (He
shows more than 10 shortcuts, by the way - he gives no maximum number).

-Copy a friend's visualchat {1:33}

Some of you are saying "But, I'm not good at drawing, so..." Well, relax!
We've made it so that you can copy someone else's visualchat from the chat
log. From the chat log in the chat menu, you can copy someone's visualchat,
edit it, and save it as a shortcut. With the editing feature, you can change
it enough make it appear completely different!

-Use visualchat anywhere {1:56}

You can use visualchat not only in the cities, but also in the midst of
battle. Although, most people will be so busy, they can't spare the time to
chat. When that happens, just use your shortcuts! Depending on the
situation, a visualchat can make the battle more exciting.

(Then, he began presenting on the games modes )

PS0 takes place on the Earth and on the Moon. Let's watch the prologue.

Character creation {4:09}

The same characters can be used in all modes of the game, and you can save up to
three characters. PS0 has three races and three jobs, but character creation
is where you can make each character unique.

Story mode {4:45}

PS0 has three game modes. We'll begin with Story mode. Your adventures as
a novice hunter begin in Dairon City. The story doesn't truly begin,
however, until you come across a young newman girl named Sarisa. Story mode has
some animated cutscenes.

Wireless {5:42}

With up to four friends, you can have an exciting time adventuring (while
using visualchats, of course). In Wireless, there are three types of play
modes: Friend, Free, and Single. With Friend, you can play wirelessly with
those you have exchanged friend codes with. In Free, you pick your desired
location and are matched with other players. In this mode, you cannot use
visualchats; instead, only pre-set phrases are allowed.

Wi-fi mode is, of course, free.

Battle System {6:39}

Like PSO, PS0 will have the customizable Action Palette. You can do up to
three hit combos if you time the attacks correctly. Also, there's a new
action: evade. With it you can roll out of harms way and set yourself up for
a counterattack. Another new action is the charged attack.
To use it, you hold down the attack button for a couple of seconds and
release. The attack released depends on the weapon.

Technics also benefit from the new charged attack. When charged, a technic's
range or power will increase.

We've included a number of weapon categories into PS0. A new category of
weapon is the shield. You can naturally defend with the shield, but you can
also attack with it (looks two handed). Another new weapon is the
"gunslash" (gunsword). In close range, it acts as a sword,
but in long-range fighting it functions as a gun. Of course, there
are a lot of rare items! In total, there are about 350 weapons in the game.

There are of course many other great aspects about this game - fields,
enemies, cities - but I cannot talk about them today. However, please look
forward to upcoming info about PS0.

--

The second video (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4885242) is with the director, and he is narrating a play-through of the game. I haven't watched it, yet.

The sound effects in this video are much better than the previous videos. It seems like they just took all the sound effects from PSO. They must've gotten the same composer as well, because the music sounds extremely similar to the tunes found in PSO.

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the translation, much appreciated!

350 weapons? OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

jnblz316
Oct 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
I am soooo amped!!!!!!

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 10:43 AM
I watched the video too, just registered on NND. Even without understanding Japanese, it was really informative, but the translation is very appreciated. It annoys me a bit that it's only 3 save spots for characters. I wanted to at least make HUcaseal, HUnewearl, RAmarl and FOnewearl. Well, I guess I gotta think about what I want the most. On to the second vid.

Oh and another thing I find a little annoying is that you can't use the visual chat in free play. Guess we'll have to exchange friend codes on here, if that's even allowed...

Blueblur
Oct 10, 2008, 10:46 AM
Nice.

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 10:54 AM
Nice, watched the second video now too, really can't wait for this.

But hey, anyone know if it's allowed to exchange friend codes here on the forum? We could have something like an official friend code thread.

Adriano
Oct 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Nice, watched the second video now too, really can't wait for this.

But hey, anyone know if it's allowed to exchange friend codes here on the forum? We could have something like an official friend code thread.

yes it's allowed

Evila
Oct 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
Wow, as if I wasn't hyped enough for this game... those TGS presentation videos just shot it through the roof! And thanks for the translation and info, Kesubei.

Risingsun
Oct 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
So the game has 3 modes right? Story, Wifi (either friend or Free) and whats the third? Single multiplay?

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 11:24 AM
So the game has 3 modes right? Story, Wifi (either friend or Free) and whats the third? Single multiplay?

Isn't it story, Wi-Fi and local?

furrypaws
Oct 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
o.o

o_o

O_O

O.O

Io_o-aOdsajif;odnv;lnvkdlsmklcnjls;andlskvldsa

.-.

I want this game. ._. Now, I'll probably have a HUnewm and a HUnewearl...but who'll be the third spot? Hopefully, they'll utilize the DSi's SD cart and give us a few extra spaces...

350 weapons? Does that include the nonrares, such as Saber, Handgun, Gigush, etc.? Either way, assuming there's, let's say, 6 generics for let's say, 15 types, that's only...90 generics, and 260 rares, which is still a gigantic amount.

Risingsun
Oct 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
Isn't it story, Wi-Fi and local?
With up to four friends, you can have an exciting time adventuring (while
using visualchats, of course). In Wireless, there are three types of play
modes: Friend, Free, and Single. With Friend, you can play wirelessly with
those you have exchanged friend codes with. In Free, you pick your desired
location and are matched with other players. In this mode, you cannot use
visualchats; instead, only pre-set phrases are allowed.

I mean that. Also, local is still a part of wireless right?
So what is Single then?

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I guess so...

TheOneHero
Oct 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
Wtf? Only three?

Hopefully, they'll utilize the DSi's SD cart and give us a few extra spaces...

I like the way you think, sir! If it doesn't happen though, I know I'll be buying another cart. -_-

What sold me was the ability to use the same players online and off. This is gonna be great.

Evila
Oct 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
I guess single mode is like uh... when you do free missions in PSU's offline story mode. Just doing random missions alone without having to advance the story.

Risingsun
Oct 10, 2008, 11:45 AM
I guess single mode is like uh... when you do free missions in PSU's offline story mode. Just doing random missions alone without having to advance the story.

I could be like in FFCC Ring of Fates, which is also on the DS, where you can play the multiplayer mode alone and just run around in dungeons.

Akaimizu
Oct 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
Well, they certainly did all of that on Phantasy Star Portable. (Offline characters usable online and Multiplayer can be played alone) Sounds like a likely scenario for PS0.

Niered
Oct 10, 2008, 02:25 PM
I could be like in FFCC Ring of Fates, which is also on the DS, where you can play the multiplayer mode alone and just run around in dungeons.

I think this assumption is correct. Story mode requires you to play as the HUmar character, but Wi-Fi is where you create your own right? So "single" is just a way to play as your character without having wi-fi.

Niered
Oct 10, 2008, 02:30 PM
Wait a second! What the hell was that!? at 8:53 on the first video the character looks like they transformed, and a string of lightning bolts follows them damaging enemies, then they transform back. Is that our answer to the photon blast gauge's use?

EDIT: Whatever the transformation is, it has wings, moves quickly, and floats just above the ground, i cant tell what class it transforms back into though.

This is what Im talking about:

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7936/psotransformationyg5.th.png (http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psotransformationyg5.png)http://img393.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 03:09 PM
It seems that it is none other than one of this game's photon blasts!! and the character performing it is none other than a HUcast!
The character raises his hand a yellow circles appears on the ground hes standing on and it seems that he disappears and in his place a bluish creature or robot with wings appears and starts flying around throwing blue thunder bolts to surrounding enemies, the photon blast creature then disappears and the HUcast character appears in its place.

Also ladies and gents, in the last pic I show you the Scythe! or...what ever it is. More pics soon.

Also..that big ape Yeti as Snow boss confirmed, and last Area was also confirmed as a robot infested Moon colony? Last Boss could be a huge robot shown with a blue sword.

VR-Raiden
Oct 10, 2008, 04:03 PM
looks like we can fight without a weapon again ^^

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 04:08 PM
I think this assumption is correct. Story mode requires you to play as the HUmar character, but Wi-Fi is where you create your own right? So "single" is just a way to play as your character without having wi-fi.

I'm not sure about that. The cut scenes and conversations never seem to show the main character, so I'd say it's possible that you even use your own character offline.

Risingsun
Oct 10, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm not sure about that. The cut scenes and conversations never seem to show the main character, so I'd say it's possible that you even use your own character offline.

I think you use your own character in every mode of the game. Story mode, wireless, and single (still think its where you play multiplay mode alone)

darthjones
Oct 10, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ok. I played it one more time yesterday and found out a few things about the controls. Sorry if this is a repeat of the stuff in the new video on the main page. I can't watch it since my the Internet here is spotty.

- You can hold X and press L and R to change your view (basically your right analog stick replacement). I was able to keep track of the dragon fairly easily by doing that. It felt pretty natural once I got the hang of it.

- Holding L and pressing one of the 4 directions on the d-pad will make your character do emotes in the meeting area.

- You can sidestep in the combat area by holding L and a direction on the d-pad.

- You can go back to previous areas.

- The RAcast goes down on one knee for the third part of his combo. (useless fact but it was a nice touch)

Kesubei
Oct 10, 2008, 04:23 PM
- You can sidestep in the combat area by holding L and a direction on the d-pad.

When you say "sidestep", do you mean evading? Or are you talking about strafing?

darthjones
Oct 10, 2008, 04:26 PM
When you say "sidestep", do you mean evading? Or are you talking about strafing?

Strafing.

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 04:29 PM
I just know I'm going to buy two copies of this for more character slots. I mean I had like, 4 VMUs for the Dreamcast because of the original game.

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know if I should get a JP copy and an EU one, or two EU ones... :/ But I think I'll take a JP and an EU one.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
I'm glad you can fight without a weapon again! This game is like PSO and more! I cant wait!

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 04:41 PM
I know I'm importing... we should probably set up an import impressions thread nearer the release. (In which we can exchange friend codes!)

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 04:44 PM
Good to see mini bosses too! this is neat! the Gunblade and the Shield are awesome additions to weapon classes!

This game proves that graphics are not as important as FUN or Gameplay.

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 04:44 PM
I know I'm importing... we should probably set up an import impressions thread nearer the release. (In which we can exchange friend codes!)

YAY! :D

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 04:46 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for English option.

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for English option.

You mean English text in the Japanese game? I wouldn't count on it, but it is possible. Some games have this. I hope to see that, too. Since I'm only learning Japanese slowly (I'm too god damn lazy), such an option would be a great help.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 10, 2008, 04:51 PM
Everytime I see PS0 it just looks better and better! This is the true sequel to Phantasy Star Online, heck this shouldve been the next thing they made after PSO and not wasted time on... other things. ¬_¬
I am SO importing this, though shipping from Japan to UK at Christmas is going to be a nightmare... :(

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
Well, I really don't know if I should Import, it all depends on our release date.

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not too sure if they'll announce a EU/US release anytime soon. It'll probably be like it was with PSP.

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 04:58 PM
Everytime I see PS0 it just looks better and better! This is the true sequel to Phantasy Star Online, heck this shouldve been the next thing they made after PSO and not wasted time on... other things. ¬_¬
I am SO importing this, though shipping from Japan to UK at Christmas is going to be a nightmare... :(

Where are you importing from? I've already pre-ordered mine at Play-Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-15-Phantasy+Star+Zero-70-30nx.html). Ordered a few things from there to the UK in the past (Ouendan 1 & 2, and Etrian Odyssey I & II) and they're usually quite prompt.

Amherst_Wind
Oct 10, 2008, 05:13 PM
Where are you importing from? I've already pre-ordered mine at Play-Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-15-Phantasy+Star+Zero-70-30nx.html). Ordered a few things from there to the UK in the past (Ouendan 1 & 2, and Etrian Odyssey I & II) and they're usually quite prompt.

Ah you've actually reminded me to use Play-Asia, yeah I normally use them. I had to use Yes-Asia to import Phantasy Star Portable because Play-Asia dont deliver PSP games to the UK. Now I can use Play-Asia cause its a DS game! I do prefer Play-Asia.

Saphion
Oct 10, 2008, 05:26 PM
Just found time to watch the second part of the presentation and, wow, colour me impressed.

Great music, (is it me or do the sound effects sound better?) and I love the way the mini-boss is practically a Delbiter (the standard attack is pretty much identical).

Only thing I haven't seen are any co-op elements, like floor switches and the like. Presumably none are shown in this level as this is this game's version of Forest 1, and there were no floor switches in PSO until the Caves. I'd rather this be much more than just an monster masher, though. We'll see in time, I guess.

It's shocking how little time is remaining until the Japanese release, and we've not known about the game for all that long either.

EDIT: Also, watching the video, there's a gigantic amount of slots for visual chat shortcuts.

EDIT EDIT: At 8:16 in the first video, I'm pretty certain the HUmar has a Red Saber from PSO equipped.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: AND he has a Sato MAG equipped!

VR-Raiden
Oct 10, 2008, 06:43 PM
I concur ^^

I'm almost certainly importing this.

TheOneHero
Oct 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
Holy crap! My brother is currently in Japan working as a JET, I just found out he's at the Tokyo Game Show for the weekend! :o

I've sent him messages online asking about PSZ, hopefully he'll get back to me sometime. >_>;

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 10:50 PM
Here's the Snow boss and the Moon Boss.

jmanx
Oct 10, 2008, 10:57 PM
So are mags going to be the same?

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
Apparently :P they seem to evolve and photon Blast too!!

jmanx
Oct 10, 2008, 11:20 PM
WOW THIS GAME IS TARGETED FOR ORIGINAL PSO PLAYERS

Akaimizu
Oct 11, 2008, 02:26 AM
I think the most heavenly thing they can make sure it has, is the idea of bring back the old Photon Blasts, and the wonderful ability for multiple players to combo-stack them for greater power and effect for each blast in the combo. I don't think there has been any other element, in any of these Phantasy Star online games, that required as much devoted teamwork to pull off. Not to mention, a fantastic device to really put a great importance on keeping everybody alive without the need to penalize the party's gains due to incapacitation. Losing a member's readiness to join in the PB combo was a pretty good punishment in itself. And a scapedoll wouldn't save you from losing that chance.

Risingsun
Oct 11, 2008, 04:06 AM
I'm planning on subbing the first video, and the second if anyone can give me a translation. Anyone up for it?

Also, if anyone has a higher quality version of the first video than a rip from YouTube, please let me know.

Just use the Nico video version that kesubi found.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2161672&postcount=62

Risingsun
Oct 11, 2008, 04:14 AM
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/

Hey the Phantasy Star Zero official site has just been updated and revamped. It is much nice than before.

Shadix
Oct 11, 2008, 05:00 AM
I'm a bit worried though, from the video I was able to make out the word "friend Code" in regards to how the wi-fi works. :|

Nintendo screwed it up I just know it. (actually, without lobbies what is the point of the pictochat thing anyways)

Jonty
Oct 11, 2008, 05:07 AM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x272/JontyIII/Picture1-1.png

From the official website.

All of the new characters are in fact looking pretty cool (though the FOmarls looks like they should be residing in Black Narcissus).

If a release date isn't announced for any english speaking area relatively soon, I may be importing as well.
Better get learning japanese.

Aumi
Oct 11, 2008, 06:54 AM
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/

Hey the Phantasy Star Zero official site has just been updated and revamped. It is much nice than before.

Yeah, it's a lot better. But lol, already a typo in the loading screen: "Intaerface."

But man, I sure love the outfits of HUnewearls. Also, I really hope that there'll be humanoid faces and hair for HUcaseals, if not, I might end up recreating my PSU main character as a HUmarl.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
Yeah, it's a lot better. But lol, already a typo in the loading screen: "Intaerface."

But man, I sure love the outfits of HUnewearls. Also, I really hope that there'll be humanoid faces and hair for HUcaseals, if not, I might end up recreating my PSU main character as a HUmarl.

I doubt there'll be any humanoid hair styles, as the android design in this is very similar to that of PSO's... not to mention that Newmans in this one look shockingly similar to some android designs in Phantasy Star Universe.

MinscTFA
Oct 11, 2008, 07:39 AM
Speaking of HUmars, maybe the kid look was intentional. They probably saw the overwhelming amount of English speaking HUmars in PSO and figured they needed to prevent that from happening again. I think it worked. :p

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 08:02 AM
Hmmm, watching the first NicoNico video again, and around the 6:17 mark, watch the bottom screen very closely. Look at the selections; the preview image suggests that this is where you specify which level you'd like to do. You can just about make out previews of the three levels we have already seen.

But that's not the awesome part. There are blank, selectable options underneath the three available levels. This suggests there may be as many as six levels, possibly seven if the blank space to the left of what I assume to be the 'confirm' button is utilized.

I could be completely wrong, however. Watch for yourself and see what you think.

EDIT: At this point, in fact.

http://i35.tinypic.com/33ercxg.png

Aumi
Oct 11, 2008, 10:02 AM
But that's not the awesome part. There are blank, selectable options underneath the three available levels. This suggests there may be as many as six levels, possibly seven if the blank space to the left of what I assume to be the 'confirm' button is utilized.

I could be completely wrong, however. Watch for yourself and see what you think.

Now that you mention it, there seem to be three blank spaces there. But he only has the selection on one, so it leaves one to wonder if there really are three. Let's hope there are, I'd say, the longer the game, the better.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 10:08 AM
Just watched it again, and the fact that the far right of the blank space gets highlighted (as opposed to the far left) is encouraging. This suggests there probably will be another three levels!

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
maybe 3 squares mean, 1st section of the level, 2nd section and boss.

Risingsun
Oct 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
I noticed in the first TGS trailer the HUmar runs into a room that looks like a big clock on the floor. When i saw that i thought to myself that is probably the transport room that takes you to different levels. I think there were about 6 or 7 spots there. Hey its just a theory, so dont shoot me if im wrong.

Aumi
Oct 11, 2008, 12:08 PM
So, got it preordered at Play-Asia now, so I guess I'm gonna get it about 5-10 days after the release.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 12:19 PM
So, got it preordered at Play-Asia now, so I guess I'm gonna get it about 5-10 days after the release.

As bad as the wait will doubtless be, I'm sure we'll all be too exhausted from Christmas day to mind too much! :D

I noticed in the first TGS trailer the HUmar runs into a room that looks like a big clock on the floor. When i saw that i thought to myself that is probably the transport room that takes you to different levels. I think there were about 6 or 7 spots there. Hey its just a theory, so dont shoot me if im wrong.

You mean this one, right?

http://i34.tinypic.com/o6kv45.png

I have to admit, your theory does sound extremely probable. Although it's worth noting there are eight 'destinations' on the clock. I wonder what the symbols mean? I can only make out what appears to be a moon on one... one kind of looks like trees, and another looks like an igloo(?).

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 11, 2008, 12:38 PM
Level warp? hmm...Hope so..but so many places? hmm..

ann_mitama
Oct 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hey i found a new TGS preview on Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/phantasystarzero/news.html?sid=6199243&mode=previews&tag=top_stories;story;3

Seority
Oct 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
Yays!
I wonder if this ever went public in America, like more then just game reviews, if it acctually become a big thing~
I know that I was game-socially challenged as a kid and never knew of PSO till late, but most gamers I run into now-a-days know of PSO and have played it sometime in thier life. I guess having that kind of familiarity could make PSZero quite popular here in the states! =3

Seority
Oct 11, 2008, 01:02 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3238/psolevels2rl6.th.png (http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psolevels2rl6.png)http://img46.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

I just got a virus from that link Saphion O_. o

Aumi
Oct 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
Level warp? hmm...Hope so..but so many places? hmm..

Man, I really hope so... 8 levels would be really nice.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 01:26 PM
I just got a virus from that link Saphion O_. o

Really?! I'll rehost it right away. Sorry! >_<

Edit: There we go, all done. I can't apologise enough about that! Last time I ever use Imageshack. :/

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 11, 2008, 02:06 PM
What about Photobucket, or better yet there is an attach picture option when you post something on the Go Advanced button.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 02:10 PM
Oh! I didn't know. I've been using Quick Reply this whole time.

D'oh!

Aeternus
Oct 11, 2008, 02:25 PM
All I can say is all of this new footage and details is making me really excited about this game! Despite its limits, I think this will be a highly addicting game, that will bring back the same feel as PSO did on the DC. Even better I will be able to get some leveling done at work while it's slow! Cant.... wait.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 11, 2008, 07:25 PM
I like this game because it will make use of the stylus in my favorite way, drawing. Second a new Phantasy Star which resembles PSO! and 3rd my DS was getting dust!

jmanx
Oct 11, 2008, 07:34 PM
I like this game because it will make use of the stylus in my favorite way, drawing. Second a new Phantasy Star which resembles PSO! and 3rd my DS was getting dust!

Yes stylus menu is ftw.

I say FUK story mode and make the online bigger D:<
So anywyas how is story mode going to work in this? Because I like how pso did it, it stars juu! Then again I may want the story mode.

Niered
Oct 11, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yes stylus menu is ftw.

I say FUK story mode and make the online bigger D:<
So anywyas how is story mode going to work in this? Because I like how pso did it, it stars juu! Then again I may want the story mode.

All three modes use your character, although story mode is (obviously) story driven, and it seems more so than PSO because this time its character driven, not "Listen to Rico's Blogs" driven.

Risingsun
Oct 11, 2008, 09:13 PM
All three modes use your character, although story mode is (obviously) story driven, and it seems more so than PSO because this time its character driven, not "Listen to Rico's Blogs" driven.

I just hope there is a new game+ mode and that i can easily skip cut scenes and dialog by pushing the start button if I just want to play on my own quickly.

Niered
Oct 11, 2008, 09:58 PM
I just hope there is a new game+ mode and that i can easily skip cut scenes and dialog by pushing the start button if I just want to play on my own quickly.

Im going out on a limb here and going to say that we can almost gauruntee "hard" "Very hard" and possibly "Ultimate" difficulty modes.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
What does it mean when characters show a bubble with three dots? Jones do you know?

Risingsun
Oct 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Im going out on a limb here and going to say that we can almost gauruntee "hard" "Very hard" and possibly "Ultimate" difficulty modes.

So i guess that is a yes to new game plus. Now i just hope i dont have to sit through long conversations each time. They should let us skip cutscenes and dialog.

Niered
Oct 11, 2008, 10:58 PM
So i guess that is a yes to new game plus. Now i just hope i dont have to sit through long conversations each time. They should let us skip cutscenes and dialog.

Thats hardly a gamebreaker for me, but if they did include it would be appreciated. remember, both PSO (which had virtually no cutscenes) and PSU have skippable cutscenes, so dont fret.

ShadowDragon28
Oct 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
On the meaning of " . . . " (called an ellipsis) from wikipedia:

In Japanese manga, the ellipsis by itself represents speechlessness, or a "pregnant pause."
Given the context, this could be anything from an admission of guilt or an expression of being dumbfounded as a result of something that another person has just said or done.

As a device, the "ten-ten-ten" is intended to focus the reader on a character while allowing the character to not speak any dialogue. This conveys to the reader a focus of the narrative "camera" on the silent subject, implying an expectation of some motion or action. It is not unheard of to see inanimate objects "speaking" the ellipsis.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah but I wonder if it shows up when you are changing stats on the lower screen or?....

Gemel
Oct 12, 2008, 02:56 AM
My guess would be that the "..." appears when someone is going into the menu to check their items or w/e or if they're lagging.

SubstanceD
Oct 12, 2008, 04:51 AM

I'm glad that we will be able to use our own character through story mode since I have no desire to play as Salisa or Kai ( Ethan Waber in PSU has put me off stormode characters ). I am dissapointed to learn that PS Zero's storyline will be more like PSU's and less like PSO's. I miss the simple yet powerful way in which Red Ring Rico's story was told.

Niered
Oct 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
I'm glad that we will be able to use our own character through story mode since I have no desire to play as Salisa or Kai ( Ethan Waber in PSU has put me off stormode characters ). I am dissapointed to learn that PS Zero's storyline will be more like PSU's and less like PSO's. I miss the simple yet powerful way in which Red Ring Rico's story was told.

Haha! Youre kidding right? PSO's story was universally panned by critics as the weakest part of the whole thing. It was a total cop out!

Now if you were to begin talking about the quests in PSO and the recurring characters and plots, then I would agree with you. The quests themselves actually had pretty good storylines, but thats because they were character based as well.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 12, 2008, 04:25 PM
I liked and enjoyed PSO's story, I'm really looking forward to this game's story, specially since it has cut scenes.

Segya
Oct 12, 2008, 04:37 PM
Haha! Youre kidding right? PSO's story was universally panned by critics as the weakest part of the whole thing. It was a total cop out!

Now if you were to begin talking about the quests in PSO and the recurring characters and plots, then I would agree with you. The quests themselves actually had pretty good storylines, but thats because they were character based as well.

I thought that the story of episode 2 without quests was pretty awesome personally.
Episode 1 was sort of quest dependant... but I didn't like most of them, story wise. And I can't really make out why or what part.

Gemel
Oct 12, 2008, 07:41 PM

Really? I really liked the way the story was told in Ep.1 and Ep.2 through the messages left behind a lot xD. I didn't know many people considered it a weakness.

But each to his own right?

Aeternus
Oct 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
Story telling in PSO is pretty irrelevant as it's completely simplistic, and linear. That's fine, as the online community more than made up for it... PSU on the other hand, had a much better story mode (although the story wasn't very good), but the game sucked compared to PSO, so it really didn't matter. So far PSZ looks like a good combination of the two, and i'm hoping it will have a good story for a change and have at least some depth. So far, with the anime cut scenes, and using your own created character seems pretty promising. I'm not expecting anything crazy, but hoping it will be at least 15-20hours worth of story.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
Tis a shame no more news has come out but...its better that way, i gotta stop spoiling mah games.

TheOneHero
Oct 12, 2008, 08:01 PM
Really? I really liked the way the story was told in Ep.1 and Ep.2 through the messages left behind a lot xD. I didn't know many people considered it a weakness.

But each to his own right?

PSO's story was brilliant.

Coral is being destroyed, let's GTFO!
Pioneer 1 arrives on Ragol and starts screwing around with genetics even more.
Pioneer 2 travels 7 years before reaching Ragol. That's 7 years of living on a ship.
P2 tries to make contact with P1, huge explosion, everything goes silent.
Hunters go to investigate, they find mysterious messages left behind by one of Pioneer 1's top scientists/hunters.
There's an entity stealing away the bodies/souls of people, no one knows what the crap is going on. They're alone.
All the creatures that were once friendly have been mutated into beings bent on tearing your face off.

It's not like P2 could turn around and go home to Coral, nor can they make a home on Ragol until they figure out what's going on.

It's supposed to be, "OMG WTF?!" You're alone in space with no where to go; an entire colony of brilliant minds and a strong military just goes missing, and you're one of the few capable of investigating/fighting. (Remember P2 was mainly refugees.)

PSO did an excellent job of creating the environment and putting the player into character. If a lot of the gaps in story were filled in, it wouldn't have been so great.

Aeternus
Oct 12, 2008, 08:08 PM
Good way to put it Hero. Not a whole lot was explained in PSO though, but the basics. I think the major issue was the story really didn't develop at all. The only thing I would have liked was an actual bridge to the rest of the PS games into PSO.

Niered
Oct 12, 2008, 08:09 PM
PSO's story was brilliant.

Coral is being destroyed, let's GTFO!
Pioneer 1 arrives on Ragol and starts screwing around with genetics even more.
Pioneer 2 travels 7 years before reaching Ragol. That's 7 years of living on a ship.
P2 tries to make contact with P1, huge explosion, everything goes silent.
Hunters go to investigate, they find mysterious messages left behind by one of Pioneer 1's top scientists/hunters.
There's an entity stealing away the bodies/souls of people, no one knows what the crap is going on. They're alone.
All the creatures that were once friendly have been mutated into beings bent on tearing your face off.

It's not like P2 could turn around and go home to Coral, nor can they make a home on Ragol until they figure out what's going on.

It's supposed to be, "OMG WTF?!" You're alone in space with no where to go; an entire colony of brilliant minds and a strong military just goes missing, and you're one of the few capable of investigating/fighting. (Remember P2 was mainly refugees.)

PSO did an excellent job of creating the environment and putting the player into character. If a lot of the gaps in story were filled in, it wouldn't have been so great.

The story failed because of the delivery, just because all of that information was present, didnt mean it was given to the character in such a way that was actually interesting. 90% of ep1 is told through data recordings, bland chunks of text that come from a single viewpoint. We never (outside of the quests of course) hear anything about the story from anyone BUT Rico. Unless you count the innane babblings of the president and his assistant to be any use.

jmanx
Oct 12, 2008, 08:18 PM
Wait a second, the quest do connect with rico's recordings. You learn more about it playing the quest.

Saphion
Oct 12, 2008, 08:39 PM
PSO's story didn't impress me much as a story, but it did wonders for setting up the atmosphere for the game. The music enhanced this even further.

Kesubei
Oct 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
PSO's setting was great, but the story sucks. Honestly though, the multiplayer-based PS games don't even need a story as its the gameplay that draws people in (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_hunter). Just make an immersive setting and give players enough room and motivation to divine their on stories.

PS0's story might actually turn out interesting - definitely more interesting than PSO - but as it stands it looks a bit cliché. If only the game allowed RP.

jmanx
Oct 12, 2008, 09:18 PM
HMMMM will ps0 have a boss that will top Dark Olga lol

TheOneHero
Oct 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
PSO's setting was great, but the story sucks.

I lol'd.

I think most of you a forgetting where exactly PSO takes place, really, it's hard to give all the story everyone seems to be wanting with what the situation is. Anyway, I've always thought that "offline mode" was "story mode", which is including quests.

AweOfShe
Oct 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
Story? In a Sonic Team game? :lol:

Seority
Oct 13, 2008, 02:15 AM
Really?! I'll rehost it right away. Sorry! >_<

Edit: There we go, all done. I can't apologise enough about that! Last time I ever use Imageshack. :/

It's ok. I didn't think you did it on purpose. Just wanted to let you know.
Yay for Vista Fire Wall! ^^

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 03:57 AM

Phew! As long as there was no harm done. ^^

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 13, 2008, 06:07 AM

Vista Firewall? is that something you get or does Vista have it already? sorry I'm new at Vista.

Drunken Dragon
Oct 13, 2008, 07:09 AM
Vista has a built in firewall aye, called windows defender... It is in xp too if i remember correctly....

Edit: Spelling

Aumi
Oct 13, 2008, 07:22 AM
Don't depend on Defender too much, it's not that good of a security program. Get an Anti-virus to be sure. I'm using avast! HOME, it's free and secure. ^^

But before we stray too much off-topic: I can't wait for a few days after December 25th! :D

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 12:46 PM
Avast eh? Ill get it then.

Yeah this game is shaping up! this game is becoming PSO ep5 for me :P

Risingsun
Oct 14, 2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/14/hands-on-phantasy-star-zero-team-up-and-slay-that-dragon/
here is a nice TGS impression of the game.

Aumi
Oct 14, 2008, 06:02 PM
She could smack Rappys with her wand, but as a force user she was much better with magic. My character had three abilities to use shooting a ball of fire, knock enemies with a short range energy wave, and a healing spell.

Well, this sounds very much like casting without weapons, doesn't it?

EDIT: Nice article, thanks Risingsun! :)

ShadowInferno119
Oct 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
Nice thanks for the article, got a little upset about the last part though: "At the end we were rewarded with virtual loot, not divided among players. Horders can go crazy during treasure explosions."

Hopefully it was just because it was a demo or TGS, and there going to fix that later.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 06:17 PM
At the end we were rewarded with virtual loot, not divided among players. Horders can go crazy during treasure explosions

What does this mean?

Gemel
Oct 14, 2008, 06:40 PM
What does this mean?

It means that if you pick it up then you get it. Kinda like how it was on PSO, you can get treasure hoarders just picking everything up off of the ground instead of fighting.

TheOneHero
Oct 14, 2008, 06:46 PM
Sweet, time for locked games.

Saphion
Oct 15, 2008, 03:26 AM
Those worried about other people grabbing all the loot might want to check this (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152527&page=5) thread... :)