PDA

View Full Version : PSP Phantasy Star Portable Online!

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 05:26 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=6371

Sony will launch a service running over the PS3, allowing players to play games, that previously could only be played over a network, online. This includes Phantasy Star Portable!

I need a PSP... >_>

Akaimizu
Oct 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
Yeah, they're doing that. However, many of us already online players aren't using that service. Until PS3 becomes more mainstream, more people are going to stick with Kai for their connections.

Still, it's a nice idea since most PSP developers totally skimp on infrastructure modes and Sony is finally doing something about it. A little late, but it may catch on, in time. Right now, we have something anybody with a computer or laptop can work off of.

I think one thing that might really push this service (help it gain popularity quicker) is if voice chat is fully supported if using the PS3 to connect the Adhoc game. Unless you have a laptop or an unlikely comfortable computer position, you normally are locked into communicating using the computer lobby. A bit of a drag having to communicate on a completely different machine than the one you're playing on.

Aumi
Oct 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
Well, it seems that "voice chat will be possible through Sony's PSP wireless headset or PlayStation Eye camera." But other than that, you could also use programs like TeamSpeak.

Kesubei
Oct 10, 2008, 12:02 PM
Cool service, but I'm interested in why this requires a PS3. I'm sure that if enough people petition SCE directly, we'll see a similar, official program for PC.

Akaimizu
Oct 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Well, in a big way (just like the PS3 used to download PSP games), it's to help sell PS3s. Sure, it could be done another way, but putting a PS3 dependancy is a device to help sell the unit.

Thing is, I'd expect the *free* Xlink Kai method to be used for quite some time. Especially with the way economics are, at the moment; a lot of people are just not buying much in consoles until things recover a bit.

zandra117
Oct 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if someone makes a homebrew emulator type program for the PC that simulates the PS3 for only this PSP over PSN feature.

jmanx
Oct 18, 2008, 01:08 AM
I need a PSP... >_>

pretty small penis?

naw sorry j/king

Ok so let me get this straight, If I so want to play psp online on psp I need a ps3?

Akaimizu
Oct 20, 2008, 08:58 AM
No. We've already been playing this game online, and there's been no PS3 online hookup yet. We've been using Xlink Kai to do it. You simply need a Computer (or laptop) on the network, the Xlink Kai Software, and preferrably one of those Datel Wi-fi max USB Wi-fi dongles connected to the Computer. It's the Wi-fi Max you'll use to connect your PSP to the network (through your Computer).

You'll need a PS3 to do it, if you want to do it Sony's way.

roxax
Oct 20, 2008, 12:54 PM
a verry good new to all the psp owners some times we cannot play online games, besides MGSPOP, or on my side MACROSS,GUNDAM nor PHANTASY =D

pikachief
Oct 20, 2008, 05:47 PM
i cant seem to get Xlink kai working no matter wat :'(

so now i just need a PS3! :D lol >.>

maybe Xmas :)

jmanx
Oct 21, 2008, 03:26 PM
I forgot about xlink. I use to use it for halo 2 but I don't play that anymore now. If so, sony is just going to be wasting money DX