PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has any major info in the controls?

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thinking about it, this will be the first real-time combat Phantasy Star game that will be played with a D-pad unless you've attempted to play PSO or PSOBB with a D-pad on your PC.

I recall how badly 3D games played without an analog stick back on the PSX and Saturn, so I'm wondering how PS0 will handle with the tiny NDS pad?

Also, what about buttons? The NDS is basically an SFC/SNES pad with an added touch screen, so that's one more button and touch screen that the Dreamcast didn't have. That being said, will we revert back the 6 shortcuts from PSO/EP1&II, the broken 4 shortcuts of PSU or will they find a way to make it more convenient with the touch screen like PSOBB did with the keyboard (16 shortcuts total)?

Zarode
Oct 11, 2008, 09:14 AM
Er, from the looks of things, it's gonna be played with left hand d-pad, right hand touch screen.

Doesn't look like they'll be big on short cuts, considering how much room they actually have to work with.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 09:25 AM
I presume it'll be a lot like PSO - the A, B and Y buttons will be your Action Palette slots, and holding down R switches to your secondary set of these. According to darthjones (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2162012&postcount=93), you can hold down X and then push L or R to rotate the camera.

The L button focuses the camera behind your character. Keeping it held down allows you to sidestep/strafe.

I'd expect that you'd be able to use the touchscreen to activate action palette commands also.

Seority
Oct 11, 2008, 12:39 PM
There's going to be a normal attack, strong attack, charge attack, and evade move.
You can also charge up techs if you are casting them.
There is also a new weapon that is a sheild where you block most things and attack with it.

darthjones
Oct 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
This is basically a copy and paste of what I wrote in the TGS thread -

The L button straightens the camera. The R button accesses the 2ndary attack buttons. If you hold the standard attack button for a few seconds and then release, you will do a spinning attack that damages surrounding enemies. To chat, you press a button on the touch screen which opens a big window in which you can scribble whatever you want. You can still move around when it's open. The only thing it does is cover up your stats. You can hold X and press L and R to change your view (basically your right analog stick replacement). I was able to keep track of the dragon fairly easily by doing that. It felt pretty natural once I got the hang of it. Holding L and pressing one of the 4 directions on the d-pad will make your character do emotes in the meeting area. You can sidestep in the combat area by holding L and a direction on the d-pad.

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
This is basically a copy and paste of what I wrote in the TGS thread -

The L button straightens the camera. The R button accesses the 2ndary attack buttons. If you hold the standard attack button for a few seconds and then release, you will do a spinning attack that damages surrounding enemies. To chat, you press a button on the touch screen which opens a big window in which you can scribble whatever you want. You can still move around when it's open. The only thing it does is cover up your stats. You can hold X and press L and R to change your view (basically your right analog stick replacement). I was able to keep track of the dragon fairly easily by doing that. It felt pretty natural once I got the hang of it. Holding L and pressing one of the 4 directions on the d-pad will make your character do emotes in the meeting area. You can sidestep in the combat area by holding L and a direction on the d-pad.

So to resume:

Touch Screen: Chatting
D-Pad: Move character
L Trigger: Reset Camera
R Trigger: 2nd Action Pallet
L Trigger + D-Pad: Sidestep
X + L or R Trigger: Rotate Camera
Y Button:Left Action (Hold to Charge)
B Button: Middle Action (Hold to Charge)
A Button: Right Action (Hold to Charge)
Start Button: Menu
Select Button: ???

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 01:27 PM
Thinking about it, this will be the first real-time combat Phantasy Star game that will be played with a D-pad unless you've attempted to play PSO or PSOBB with a D-pad on your PC.

I recall how badly 3D games played without an analog stick back on the PSX and Saturn, so I'm wondering how PS0 will handle with the tiny NDS pad?

Also, what about buttons? The NDS is basically an SFC/SNES pad with an added touch screen, so that's one more button and touch screen that the Dreamcast didn't have. That being said, will we revert back the 6 shortcuts from PSO/EP1&II, the broken 4 shortcuts of PSU or will they find a way to make it more convenient with the touch screen like PSOBB did with the keyboard (16 shortcuts total)?
I don't think the 3D and Movement with a D-Pad is at all a problem. Maybe because i'm way to use to it, or its just not even a problem. But there are plenty of 3D games on the DS, and almost no complaints on the d-pad. If there ever is a problem it would be the camera, however this control scheme, looks good. And not to mention according to Darth Jones:

"You can hold X and press L and R to change your view (basically your right analog stick replacement). I was able to keep track of the dragon fairly easily by doing that. It felt pretty natural once I got the hang of it."

That doesn't seem like a problem.

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'll bet anything the select button brings up the chat menu. Perhaps even a chat log.

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
I don't think the 3D and Movement with a D-Pad is at all a problem. Maybe because i'm way to use to it, or its just not even a problem. But there are plenty of 3D games on the DS, and almost no complaints on the d-pad. If there ever is a problem it would be the camera, however this control scheme, looks good. And not to mention according to Darth Jones:

"You can hold X and press L and R to change your view (basically your right analog stick replacement). I was able to keep track of the dragon fairly easily by doing that. It felt pretty natural once I got the hang of it."

That doesn't seem like a problem.

Well I wasn't referring to the camera issue, but just the control issue. I recall games like Tomb Raider, Soul Reaver and the first Resident Evil back on the PSX with the old standard PSX controller, it was a nightmare to control.

I'll bet anything the select button brings up the chat menu. Perhaps even a chat log.

Darth Jones said that a button on the touch screen does this. I would prefer using the Select button as a shortcut for Mate or Fluid.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well I wasn't referring to the camera issue, but just the control issue. I recall games like Tomb Raider, Soul Reaver and the first Resident Evil back on the PSX with the old standard PSX controller, it was a nightmare to control.
Yeah back then it was a night mare, however they've fixed that, It feels natural to me, do you happen to own a DS?

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah back then it was a night mare, however they've fixed that, It feels natural to me, do you happen to own a DS?

Of course and 11 games to go with that. However, the closest thing to 3D games I have are:

-Bomberman which as always played the same with a D-pad
-Mario Kart DS which plays like the old 16bits version
-Zelda PH which uses the stylus

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 02:21 PM
Lol, well Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fate, a 3D action RPG, handled it well.

Final Fantasy 3/4 are both Turn Based, but when your not in battle its fine.

Soma Bringer is ok, but it doesn't affect the game play at all.

I guess if you wanna consider MPH or Call of Duty both FPS's as 3D which it is, they use the D-Pad its fine, however the stylus is also involved.

Just wondering but what are those 11 games?

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
Lol, well Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fate, a 3D action RPG, handled it well.

Final Fantasy 3/4 are both Turn Based, but when your not in battle its fine.

Soma Bringer is ok, but it doesn't affect the game play at all.

I guess if you wanna consider MPH or Call of Duty both FPS's as 3D which it is, they use the D-Pad its fine, however the stylus is also involved.

Just wondering but what are those 11 games?

-Bomberman (Not Land)
-Mario Kart DS
-Zelda PH
-Meteos (Not the Disney one)
-Club House Game (I love Othello)
-New Super Mario
-Brain Age (I love Sudoku)
-Gyakuten Saiban (JPN)
-Gyakuten Saiban 2 (JPN)
-Gyakuten Saiban 3 (JPN)
-Apollo Justice

darthjones
Oct 11, 2008, 04:44 PM
Nothing happened when I pressed the Select button...

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 04:58 PM
Nothing happened when I pressed the Select button...

Guess that solves that mystery then!

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
Guess that solves that mystery then!

Just wish he would confirm the rest and give out more details on how the touch screen works.

jmanx
Oct 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
3D games are harder on psp @_@ with analog stick.
And MPH fps works way better than a psp one.

Kent
Oct 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
...What about the quick weapon switch? Quick item/trap/technique menu?

'Cause those are pretty improtant...

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about using a D-pad. Anyone who's played the Xbox version of PSO can attest that digital movement isn't that bad - it just had digital, eight-directional movement mapped to the left stick.

furrypaws
Oct 11, 2008, 08:59 PM
The D-pad will be no problem whatsoever. If I can play SUper Mario 64 DS just fine with a D-pad (and that has leaping around and swimming and requires much more precision than any other Phantasy Star game likely ever will) then this will be fine.