PDA

View Full Version : A question about Dungeons.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 01:58 PM
Ok, well this is kind of noobish, but I never played Phantasy Star Before simply because I either didn't have the console or couldn't pay the monthly fee's.

I have a sega genesis, and since I heard PS1/2 Are for the genesis I might go and pick it up (However correct me if I am wrong)

A real good friend of mine, use to play PSO for the Dream Cast, back in the day, and he would tell me how great it was, but now he's married and moved away lol, and I'm not about to call him up and ask him this question.

So anyways, back to the question, is there anything like an Underworld, or like high leveled dungeon's, that require skill, but reward you with rare items.

If anyone played games, like WoW, or Guild Wars, you know where i'm getting the references from.

Edit: "Oh and I was reading some where about red box's which i'm guessing is something that has to do with Rare treasures, can someone clarify that."

furrypaws
Oct 11, 2008, 02:57 PM
As you get further in the game, I'd assume the dungeons would get harder and the loot would get better, but if you're referring to extra dungeons with super loot, I'm not sure. Neither PSU nor PSO had them, so we can only assume the levels will be progressive in difficulty.

When a monster dies or a box breaks, a box or a diamond normally appears from its death place. If it's a diamond, you've found meseta. I dunno if they referred to it as Meseta in PS1 or 2 (although I think they did in 2), but meseta's currency. As for boxes, they were color coded. Orange meant generic weapon, green meant item, and blue meant generic armor. When you saw a red box, you would naturally go nuts, as it was a rare item. PSU's system was a bit more complex, but diamonds were still meseta and reds were still rares. Hope that clears things up for you.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
As you get further in the game, I'd assume the dungeons would get harder and the loot would get better, but if you're referring to extra dungeons with super loot, I'm not sure. Neither PSU nor PSO had them, so we can only assume the levels will be progressive in difficulty.

When a monster dies or a box breaks, a box or a diamond normally appears from its death place. If it's a diamond, you've found meseta. I dunno if they referred to it as Meseta in PS1 or 2 (although I think they did in 2), but meseta's currency. As for boxes, they were color coded. Orange meant generic weapon, green meant item, and blue meant generic armor. When you saw a red box, you would naturally go nuts, as it was a rare item. PSU's system was a bit more complex, but diamonds were still meseta and reds were still rares. Hope that clears things up for you.
Lol, thanks for the clarification on the box's and items.

And yeah, I pretty much figured about the progressively harder dungeon's since that is the standard. I was referring to like an extra dungeon, with like side quest you have to unlock, and stuff. But if PSO/PSU didn't have them I doubt PS0 will, however I can hope.

I mean they are adding quite a bit of new content to it. And bonus dungeons with ultra rare items, are becoming more of standard too now a days.

Kesubei
Oct 11, 2008, 06:52 PM
I have a sega genesis, and since I heard PS1/2 Are for the genesis I might go and pick it up (However correct me if I am wrong)

Just a heads up:

Phantasy Star, the original, was released for the Sega Master System.
Phantasy Star II, III, and IV were released for the Sega Genesis.
These games are quite different than PSO and PSU (PS1-4 are traditional RPGs), though all PS games take place in the future.

There's a Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA (and JP Saturn, if you're so inclined) that has PS1, 2, and 3. SEGA also remade the first two games on the JP PS2.

The PS dungeons are first-person and often difficult to navigate. Like all traditional RPGs, dungeons progressively get harder. Also, like most old school RPGs, you need to grind a far bit before you can even tackle the first dungeon.

Risingsun
Oct 11, 2008, 07:23 PM
I am replaying Phantasy star 2, 3, and 4 right now in the SEGA Genesis Collection. 28 games for the price of one. Its on the ps2 and psp. So if you want to try out those games, this is a great option. You can also save anywhere.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
Just a heads up:

Phantasy Star, the original, was released for the Sega Master System.
Phantasy Star II, III, and IV were released for the Sega Genesis.
These games are quite different than PSO and PSU (PS1-4 are traditional RPGs), though all PS games take place in the future.

There's a Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA (and JP Saturn, if you're so inclined) that has PS1, 2, and 3. SEGA also remade the first two games on the JP PS2.

The PS dungeons are first-person and often difficult to navigate. Like all traditional RPGs, dungeons progressively get harder. Also, like most old school RPGs, you need to grind a far bit before you can even tackle the first dungeon.
Thanks for the info, is the Phantasy Star Collection for the GBA hard to find?

Vanzazikon
Oct 13, 2008, 01:28 PM
Lol, thanks for the clarification on the box's and items.

And yeah, I pretty much figured about the progressively harder dungeon's since that is the standard. I was referring to like an extra dungeon, with like side quest you have to unlock, and stuff. But if PSO/PSU didn't have them I doubt PS0 will, however I can hope.

I mean they are adding quite a bit of new content to it. And bonus dungeons with ultra rare items, are becoming more of standard too now a days.I don't know of any side quests or extra dungeons but there is a mode called challenge mode where you team-up with 4 players cap and try to finish all the dungeons in the quickest amount of time. By completing all the dungeon more qucikly, you are rewarded a rare weapon, armor item, etc.

Also if you complete challenge mode in normal then you can advance to hard, upon completing hard in the quickest amount of time, you are awarded more rare weapons, even better than normal and you can go on to the next difficulty.

Sorry I don't have all the details because I am still a bit ignorant about C-mode hence the fact that I never even tried it yet because I played offline and had no one to play it with.

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't know of any side quests or extra dungeons but there is a mode called challenge mode where you team-up with 4 players cap and try to finish all the dungeons in the quickest amount of time. By completing all the dungeon more qucikly, you are rewarded a rare weapon, armor item, etc.

Also if you complete challenge mode in normal then you can advance to hard, upon completing hard in the quickest amount of time, you are awarded more rare weapons, even better than normal and you can go on to the next difficulty.

Sorry I don't have all the details because I am still a bit ignorant about C-mode hence the fact that I never even tried it yet because I played offline and had no one to play it with.
Challenge mode didn't use difficulty levels.

The first stage starts you at level 1, in the Forest, and there are a total of ... 20-something individual challenge stages, spread out all over Episode 1 (I never played Episode 2 Challenge Mode). All of the Challenge stages emphasized teamwork over anything else - not only did many rooms require the co-operation of all four people in order to advance, but if anyone died without a Scape Doll in their inventory, it's game over for all players, and that stage is failed.

It really had a lot more depth than just the normal grind, and it's more or less guaranteed to be the most fun you'll ever have in Phantasy Star Online.

The prizes varied based on your completion time after you've completed all of the stages. The highest rank, S-Rank, yields a custom, golden-photon weapon of your choice, which you can name. The weapon will have rather low attack power on its own, but almost all of them can be grinded up to +250 (which, in PSO, each +1 on the weapon's grind simply increases its Attack Power by 2 points, so over time, you can add 500 attack power to the weapon).

Picking an appropriate S-rank weapon for your character type, and having enough grinders packed into your bank, can yield an incredibly effective weapon. The only problems, however, are lack of any photon percentages (some of which can be added artificially to the weapon via legitimate means).

Vanzazikon
Oct 13, 2008, 01:52 PM
Challenge mode didn't use difficulty levels.Didn't know that, alright, forget everything I said about difficulty levels.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 02:10 PM
I don't know of any side quests or extra dungeons but there is a mode called challenge mode where you team-up with 4 players cap and try to finish all the dungeons in the quickest amount of time. By completing all the dungeon more qucikly, you are rewarded a rare weapon, armor item, etc.

hmm, sounds interesting I hope they bring that to PS0, that would be nice. I'm so excited for this, closes thing to a MMORPG for DS yet.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 02:22 PM
Challenge mode didn't use difficulty levels.

The first stage starts you at level 1, in the Forest, and there are a total of ... 20-something individual challenge stages, spread out all over Episode 1 (I never played Episode 2 Challenge Mode). All of the Challenge stages emphasized teamwork over anything else - not only did many rooms require the co-operation of all four people in order to advance, but if anyone died without a Scape Doll in their inventory, it's game over for all players, and that stage is failed.

It really had a lot more depth than just the normal grind, and it's more or less guaranteed to be the most fun you'll ever have in Phantasy Star Online.

The prizes varied based on your completion time after you've completed all of the stages. The highest rank, S-Rank, yields a custom, golden-photon weapon of your choice, which you can name. The weapon will have rather low attack power on its own, but almost all of them can be grinded up to +250 (which, in PSO, each +1 on the weapon's grind simply increases its Attack Power by 2 points, so over time, you can add 500 attack power to the weapon).

Picking an appropriate S-rank weapon for your character type, and having enough grinders packed into your bank, can yield an incredibly effective weapon. The only problems, however, are lack of any photon percentages (some of which can be added artificially to the weapon via legitimate means).
Yeah i'm all for co-operatioin and skill in trying to get past levels. I mean hack and slashing is fun, but when you add the mix of strategy in to it, its great, when you and your team mates have to be on par, and you need skill.

I really hope they add that

Niered
Oct 13, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah i'm all for co-operatioin and skill in trying to get past levels. I mean hack and slashing is fun, but when you add the mix of strategy in to it, its great, when you and your team mates have to be on par, and you need skill.

I really hope they add that

Ive heard at least a couple people (both here and through friends) asking about Battle Mode, but realistically, Challenge mode (or an alternative to it) would be ten times better. Not only was it deeply engaging and strategic, their are few things better than getting to craft your own weapon.

Heres to hoping we get something equivalent.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ive heard at least a couple people (both here and through friends) asking about Battle Mode, but realistically, Challenge mode (or an alternative to it) would be ten times better. Not only was it deeply engaging and strategic, their are few things better than getting to craft your own weapon.

Heres to hoping we get something equivalent.
I'm with you on that! And oh, I wouldn't mind battle either, I love PvP, (With strategy in it)