PDA

View Full Version : Will you import or wait

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Personally, I'll import the JNP version if the NA version still has TBA date or a 4 months+ waiting period.

Jonty
Oct 11, 2008, 02:26 PM
Ditto.
I can feel the headaches already...

Saphion
Oct 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm importing, even though I don't know any Japanese whatsoever.

I'm hoping my sheer enthusiasm for the game will somehow let me overcome that particular hurdle.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 02:34 PM
lol, Importing with "Zero" lack of knowledge of Jap. I'm hoping for some good guides to come out quickly.

(Side question, Is talking about ROMs and R4's allowed on this site?)

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 02:39 PM

I'm hoping my sheer enthusiasm for the game will somehow let me overcome that particular hurdle.

Well I played PSOBB and PSU in Japanese and it went pretty well for the most part. This is a real time action game, you move around and you hit what you want to kill, there isn't too many ways you can loose yourself in the language barrier. OK so shopping will take a bit more time, but once you have your stuff, you're OK.

lol, Importing with "Zero" lack of knowledge of Jap. I'm hoping for some good guides to come out quickly.

(Side question, Is talking about ROMs and R4's allowed on this site?)

Well considering that this site still won't let people talk about Free servers for PSO even if the game is pretty much dead, I'd say no.

furrypaws
Oct 11, 2008, 02:46 PM
I'll likely ask for the import for Christmas, see if it gets an English release, and in the one in a million chance it doesn't, I'll just play it. I'd much prefer to experience the entire thing in English first, although who knows? Maybe it'll have a multilingual feature like PSO did. If it does, I'll just go ahead and play it from the start. I'll eventually get around to opening it, but probably not until I fully play through the English version and get a feel for that first. Like one of my friends said, "They [Japan] get all the content anyways."

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 02:48 PM
Maybe it'll have a multilingual feature like PSO did.

You wish :P

Evila
Oct 11, 2008, 02:56 PM
Gonna wait for an English release, cause I'd rather understand it all from the get go so I can enjoy the story mode, plus I have too much stuff pre-ordered that comes out during these last two months of the year. So broke. D8

If I was sitting on piles upon piles of money however... I'd probably import just to play online with other importers, and then buy it again later in English to get the most out of the game.

furrypaws
Oct 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
You wish :P

With all of my heart. =\

Aumi
Oct 11, 2008, 03:33 PM

This, and I'm gonna buy a EU copy when it's out. Already preordered at Play-Asia.

jnblz316
Oct 11, 2008, 03:35 PM
I will be importing. I imported PSOBB and I did just fine. Plus I know there will be guides for the hard to know parts of the language. Can't wait for 12/25!!!!!

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 03:42 PM
I will be importing. I imported PSOBB and I did just fine. Plus I know there will be guides for the hard to know parts of the language. Can't wait for 12/25!!!!!

You imported a game that you could have downloaded for free 0_o

jnblz316
Oct 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well this was way back when the jpn version just came out ^_^

the_importer_
Oct 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well this was way back when the jpn version just came out ^_^

Wasn't the game client already free and downloadable from day 1 when the JPN BB servers were up?

jnblz316
Oct 11, 2008, 03:50 PM
Not that I can recollect. I could be wrong though.

VR-Raiden
Oct 11, 2008, 04:25 PM
I'm importing it. Mainly cause I'll have time to play it when it comes out :)

Segya
Oct 11, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'll go with the third option.

Aumi
Oct 11, 2008, 05:20 PM

And that is?

ShadowInferno119
Oct 11, 2008, 05:20 PM
I am too! However I believe my 3rd option is different then yours.

Segya
Oct 11, 2008, 05:35 PM
And that is?

Play.

Kesubei
Oct 11, 2008, 06:40 PM
I'm going to import it, but only because a number of people here are importing it. PS0 will lose its luster quickly without people to visualchat and quest with.

Shadowakito
Oct 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
I'm gonna import it even if it doesn't have the option to change the language to english. PSO was my very first online RPG and my 2nd ever online game next to quake 3 on the dreamcast so i have absolutely no objection to buying it twice if it means getting to play it near the launch date when the most people are online. I'm overjoyed to see they re implimented the shoulder mags they took off you in PSU, and that the old combo system + Mag special moves are back.

jmanx
Oct 11, 2008, 07:24 PM
Flash Cart FTW

I'm gonna import it even if it doesn't have the option to change the language to english. PSO was my very first online RPG and my 2nd ever online game next to quake 3 on the dreamcast so i have absolutely no objection to buying it twice if it means getting to play it near the launch date when the most people are online. I'm overjoyed to see they re implimented the shoulder mags they took off you in PSU, and that the old combo system + Mag special moves are back

damn straight D:<

unicorn
Oct 11, 2008, 08:42 PM
I'll most likely import. And I know very minimal Japanese.

LionHeart-
Oct 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
I'm going to import because I totally know nothing about Japanese :(!

That said, it could only come out just for JP or US/EU if we're lucky. But seeing how PSOBB went and PSU is going to end up, its safe to say importing is probably the best way to get your money's worth.

It will be a little tricky with the Japanese and all but will be fun and worth it in the long run. I would think that the servers could be JP only etc and seeing how DSi is region locked it could look bad on the updates for us.

Hozanto
Oct 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
eh i can wait..

Gemel
Oct 12, 2008, 02:40 AM
I might depending on what I hear about it when it's released. I've never really imported any game before.

SubstanceD
Oct 12, 2008, 05:04 AM
I'll wait untill it gets a US release, then I will import the US copy ( it will probably take an extra 4 to 6 months for a EU version to be released ). Of course that's working under the assumption that Sega will even relase this game outside of Japan. The fact that PS portable hasn't been confirmed for an International release despite it's massive success in Japan is rather worrying not to mention how rarely Sega gives US/EU PSU players updates.

the_importer_
Oct 12, 2008, 09:59 AM
I'll wait untill it gets a US release, then I will import the US copy ( it will probably take an extra 4 to 6 months for a EU version to be released ). Of course that's working under the assumption that Sega will even relase this game outside of Japan. The fact that PS portable hasn't been confirmed for an International release despite it's massive success in Japan is rather worrying not to mention how rarely Sega gives US/EU PSU players updates.

There are reasons for that:

1- The PSP system is more popular in Japan than it is outside (mainly because of Monster Hunter 2)
2- PSU didn't have the same impact in NA and Europe as PSO
3- Phantasy Star Portable is not even an Online game

DarkShadowX
Oct 12, 2008, 10:02 AM
My first hurdle is to see if this game will make me want to buy a DS in the first place(Highly tempted to).

Should I get the DS, then I'll most likely import and should there me a US release.......well I'll buy that one too.

the_importer_
Oct 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
My first hurdle is to see if this game will make me want to buy a DS in the first place(Highly tempted to).

Should I get the DS, then I'll most likely import and should there me a US release.......well I'll buy that one too.

The NDS pretty much has games for every tastes out there, you should get one.

Saphion
Oct 12, 2008, 10:55 AM
I concur. It's easily my most played console this gen.

dexter_safe
Oct 12, 2008, 11:05 AM
if it's like other games then jp will get first then 4-6 months later usa will get then 4-6month after usa get it europe will get (talk about sad) i'm importing the usa version even if i have to wait for it =/

Risingsun
Oct 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
I was thinking of waiting for a US release and getting this game along with the new DSi. I figure why not play it on an improved DS with bigger screens. Plus the DSi actually supports WPA, so i dont have to compromise my security to play online.

the_importer_
Oct 12, 2008, 01:42 PM
I was thinking of waiting for a US release and getting this game along with the new DSi. I figure why not play it on an improved DS with bigger screens. Plus the DSi actually supports WPA, so i dont have to compromise my security to play online.

Was it confirmed that it supports WPA?

Well anyway, I stopped using WEP when I got my 802.11n router because in order to use the "n" technology, WEP can't be used. I didn't care much about the security because I filtered MAC address, but I'm not going to downgrade my speed for the NDS but I won't buy the DSi either, I'll just buy that Nintendo USB.

This is better because I'll be able to bring it to work and play Online over there during lunch break.

Shiroyu
Oct 13, 2008, 12:59 AM
I'm importing one for myself, and three more for 3 of my PSO-playing friends as Christmas gifts. Since I get my imports from NCSX (They're in New York), I always get them the next day, since I live in Massachusetts.

Even though they probably are going to have a US release, I'll probably regularly use both versions. I've decided that on the JP one, I'll only use one char, since if I have one of each class, I'd probably get bored starting all over again in the US version.

jmanx
Oct 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
man shoot forget that stuff im just hoping it will work on my cart.

Aumi
Oct 13, 2008, 07:33 AM
I concur. It's easily my most played console this gen.

In my opinion it sadly hasn't had any good games for a while. Last time I bought a DS game is like 2 years ago, so I'm really happy to see a good game on the way. It may just be me, not being all too focused on the handheld market though. Don't get me wrong, it's a great console, I just haven't seen too many good games for it lately. It's the same for the Wii. Is it just me or does Nintendo not care about real gamers anymore and focuses on casual only? My most played console right now is clearly the PS3.

Anyway, can't wait till I get my PS0 copy! :D

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 07:47 AM
Well, Nintendo themselves haven't made any DS games for over a year now(!), leaving it entirely down to third parties.

If you're lacking good recent titles, I recommend Dragon Quest IV (which is surprisingly fast paced), Final Fantasy IV (which isn't), Space Invaders Extreme (don't be put off by the fact it's Space Invaders as I initially was - it's fantastic.), Bangai-O Spirits and the US can sample the delights of Kirby Superstar Ultra (I had the SNES version of which this is a remake, and loved it.).

Guitar Hero on Tour has fantastic replay value, providing you can get past the initial hand cramps the first few times you play, and in terms of all-time greats I can't recommend The World Ends With You enough. It's sheer brilliance.

I've also got a soft spot for Elite Beat Agents and the Ouendan games. Etrian Odyssey is fab too.

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is fantastic if you're a gaming masochist.

And if you're looking for PSO-style games, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Children of Mana fill the void somewhat.

It's strange, I only play the DS a few hours a day and yet my DS collection is well over 75 games (cost me a damned fortune - I have three drawers full of the things) - even more shocking is that I've completed a good 90% of them. I've had a great time with almost all of 'em, too. (Sonic Chronicles is a complete abortion, unfortunately.)

Reading that back, I sound an awful lot like a DS viral marketeer, but I assure you, I'm not! Although all my friends do come to me when seeking what games to buy.

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 08:15 AM
Actually, that's the great thing about Phantasy Star Zero; if it's anything like PSO then I won't need to buy another game for like 4 years. So much money saved. :D

Frokko
Oct 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
Wow Saphion! That an awesome collection. 75 games OMG.

I got 11 and PS0 is mostly welcome in my collection. But I will not import it from Japan. Probably from US though.

Vanzazikon
Oct 13, 2008, 11:31 AM
O.O 75 games! Oh man, I barely have three... God I'm so poor.

Yeah, it looks like I'll buy the US one instead of importing, for me to enjoy and play a game, I have to understand it.

Shiroyu
Oct 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
Saphion, you know your good games! I have all of those minus Shiren, but I'm generally not a fan of roguelike games.

Other DS games that have a tremendous amount of replay value are Disgaea DS and Daigasso! Band Brothers DX. Disgaea DS (It's a SRPG, like a mix of FFT and FE, but it makes itself different to the point where it could be called a mix of nothing done before it), while being a port of the PSP version (Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness), which itself is a remake of the PS2 version, is eating away at my life. I've had it for about 2 weeks now, and I've already clocked in over 60 hours, and I'm not even near getting everything the game offers. The highest level a character can be is 9,999 (*Looks at title thingy*), but with that said, every character can reincarnate -- start back at level one, but the higher the level the character was before, the better the stats at level 1. These levels are also stored, capping at 186,000. If you reincarnate a level 100 character that originally had 50 stored levels, it counts as a level 150 char going to level 1. So essentially, the highest level a character can be is 195,999.

Daigasso! Band Brothers DX is a game I have apparently mentioned in almost all my posts so far. It's a music/rhythm game that plays similar to DDR, except you play the actual instruments rather than the beat. Each song can have up to 8 instruments, with DX adding lyrics, karaoke, and chords. Each face button plays a note, with holding L makes it a sharp, and holding R raises an octave. It doesn't sound like much, but it really gets to be a crapload of fun. Plus, you can make your own songs in it, up to 100. The game only has 30-ish songs built-into it, but that's where DLC kicks in. You can download up to 100 songs that people have uploaded on Nintendo's servers. Unfortunately, you can't delete songs once you download them, but you can listen to a song before downloading it. Plus, the game is really meaningful if you have a solid internet connection and/or if you're really interested in making songs. Otherwise, I would recommend the prequel, Daigasso! Band Brothers, which has more built-in songs. Plus there's a GBA cart expansion that adds a bunch of songs. The song maker in DBB is certainly not as great as the one in DX, but it gets the job done.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
Was it confirmed that it supports WPA?

Well anyway, I stopped using WEP when I got my 802.11n router because in order to use the "n" technology, WEP can't be used. I didn't care much about the security because I filtered MAC address, but I'm not going to downgrade my speed for the NDS but I won't buy the DSi either, I'll just buy that Nintendo USB.

This is better because I'll be able to bring it to work and play Online over there during lunch break.
Even though the DS only receives a b signal, the n router's have a setting to send out lower signal's. However your DS will only pick up the speed of a b.

the_importer_
Oct 13, 2008, 02:00 PM
Even though the DS only receives a b signal, the n router's have a setting to send out lower signal's. However your DS will only pick up the speed of a b.

I'm aware of that, but 802.11n in NOT WEP compatible, setting it to WEP will make my router drop it's speed back to 802.11g.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 02:24 PM
I'm aware of that, but 802.11n in NOT WEP compatible, setting it to WEP will make my router drop it's speed back to 802.11g.
Oh. I see then yeah, thats not worth it. The DSi should support n signal's or atleast g.

the_importer_
Oct 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
Oh. I see then yeah, thats not worth it. The DSi should support n signal's or atleast g.

The current DS supports "g" as far as I know, but it only supports WEP.

Dragwind
Oct 13, 2008, 03:53 PM
I think I may actually import this time, so add me to the list.

Noblewine
Oct 13, 2008, 05:15 PM
I'm gonna look into this. I haven't seen a preview of PS0 on EGM or Gamepro yet but watching some of the trailers helped. It looks like fun so I'm probably gonna pre-order.

Drunken Dragon
Oct 14, 2008, 05:51 AM
Yeah, it looks like I'll buy the US one instead of importing, for me to enjoy and play a game, I have to understand it.

^^This

Also need to understand what im doin, and therefore never import games in Japanese... So guess ill just have to rely on you guys to keep us up to date :P

Aumi
Oct 14, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm gonna look into this. I haven't seen a preview of PS0 on EGM or Gamepro yet but watching some of the trailers helped. It looks like fun so I'm probably gonna pre-order.

Hey, judge for yourself. Those guys haven't seen more than us. The 20 minute presentation and the booths, I don't think there was anything else. And there is even the translation of the first part of the presentation. If you ask me, that's enough. You can't trust previews anyway. They are often too biased and subjective.

Saphion
Oct 14, 2008, 10:04 AM
Other DS games that have a tremendous amount of replay value are Disgaea DS...

I got this in the post today. :D

Xuri
Oct 14, 2008, 10:33 AM
Mine is ordered and I am counting the days until release.

I hope I can xfer the rares from the JPN ver to US like I did with PSO ver2 on the DC. =^.^=

Akaimizu
Oct 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
Disgaea has near infinite replayability, no matter what system you buy it on. It was a masterful, if not highly unusual, formula for a Strategy RPG.

Strategic Simulations (with TSR's permission) invented the SRPG genre.

Companies like SEGA (Shining Force) worked in, and improved on a formula and helped fully define what is expected in standard SRPGs. Square did a nice job of continuing it with their own small twist.

Nippon Ichi, came in, ripped apart all expectations of a SRPG...and after a few games... reinvented it. Not to mention, came up with a concept of infinite dungeons and an insane amount of collectables and items for an SRPG. Oddly enough, who'd think the game that really caught on to this idea had these inifinite dungeons *within* the items your characters use. While it's just code, it's still a wild concept to explain how you power things up.

Er... Sorry. I get a bit of more recent nostalgia when Disgaea talk comes about.

Anyway, a while ago, I was a lot less sure of my financial situation. However, things have changed for the better. I should be able to import without much delay. (Probably why I'm putting more time into PSP, so my characters will be quite set with goodies and high levels so that I can easily split my time).

While I've definitely settled for a more casual playtime in PSU (I'm also catching up quite nice with my backlog of other games), I think between the portable stuff and Fable II/Fallout, I'll have my 4th quarter filled with stuff. Not to mention, my vacation is coming up, and chances are that I'll play almost no videogames the entire time, with so much to do. (Maybe sneak in a bit of PSP).

Vanzazikon
Oct 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
O.O Disgaea? Never heard of it...

Akaimizu
Oct 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
Seriously? Well, if you haven't heard of it, and you like strategy or RPGs, a warning usually comes from anyone who already got sucked into that game. If you do get it, prepare for your new addiction. Especially if you are the type to compulsively go after acquisitions, character levels and power, etc. Even as a single player game, players have easily clocked a thousand hours and more in the game, still getting stuff.

Saphion
Oct 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
Seriously? Well, if you haven't heard of it, and you like strategy or RPGs, a warning usually comes from anyone who already got sucked into that game. If you do get it, prepare for your new addiction. Especially if you are the type to compulsively go after acquisitions, character levels and power, etc. Even as a single player game, players have easily clocked a thousand hours and more in the game, still getting stuff.

Good god, you weren't kidding. Only had it a day and I can already sense it eating away at my soul!

At least this'll tide me over until PSØ is released. :D

Aumi
Oct 14, 2008, 06:10 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/10/14/hands-on-phantasy-star-zero-team-up-and-slay-that-dragon/
here is a nice TGS impression of the game.

Check out this article. This sounds like TECHs aren't bound to weapons. :D

VR-Raiden
Oct 14, 2008, 06:20 PM
That article was a good read, though I don't see why he had to go and say

"Phantasy Star Zero does a fantastic job of recreating the Phantasy Star Online experience even though it has cartoony characters."

Like that's such a bad thing *rolls eyes*

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
They look awesome, In fact I think its becoming one of my most favorite art styles in Phantasy Star.

Aeternus
Oct 14, 2008, 06:34 PM
"You can’t have different players in different areas."

Hmmm does this mean TP to town also would not be possibe? damn

ShadowInferno119
Oct 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
"You can’t have different players in different areas."

Hmmm does this mean TP to town also would not be possibe? damn
I don't think they even had a town in that version, who knows. They only played a small demo. I mean when they died they re spawned, were not even sure what happens when you die yet.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 07:53 PM
Well there are Telepipes , I wonder how they work.

Kent
Oct 14, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking it may be because of the play mode.

There may be some clear differences in how the game works, depending on if you're using local wireless or Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection online play. For example, everyone may need to be in the same area for local wireless, but when there's an external server handling player matchups (such as when online), it may be possible for players to go into separate areas.

That, or it'll work like playing PSO offline multiplayer - if someone places a telepipe, everyone has to go in, or else it can't be used.