PDA

View Full Version : Why do we love Nei?

Morganna
Oct 13, 2008, 03:41 AM
I see Nei fanboyism all around lately. I am not complaining of course. In fact, if it was not for Nei, I would not have given this game a second look.

I remember when I was in middle school, and I read [spoiler-box]about Nei dying in a walkthrough in a magazine, and it got to me even though I didn't have a genesis and wouldn't end up playing the game at all until years later.[/spoiler-box]

So that is my reason for being so attached to her.

What is yours?

And do you think there is any deep meaning to it at all?

Perhaps if Nei were, say, a green haired girl in a red japanese goth dress, would we view her differently?

RemiusTA
Oct 13, 2008, 09:48 AM
I really dont know. I have no special attraction for that character.

Only thing i like about Nei is that claw she had in PSO/PSU. In fact, i really dont even like most of the PSO stuff in this game. The PSU items are far more interesting than the PSO cameos.

Zorafim
Oct 13, 2008, 10:47 AM
Because she's a sad, outcasted, biologically engineered half-monster, who fights using a mixture of agility and support, and has a heroic death half-way through the game.

I'll be damned if I need any more reasons to love a fictional character.

Masterflower
Oct 13, 2008, 10:52 AM
Who is Nei <.< I dont remember a Nei, someone inform me of this Nei and possible a pic <<

ashley50
Oct 13, 2008, 11:29 AM
Nei? What's that? A fictional game character's name?

Anduril
Oct 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
Not a big fan of Nei. I think she is over hyped just because she kicks the bucket like so many people both fictional and real before and after her.

CelestialBlade
Oct 13, 2008, 11:41 AM
inb4moved to Phantasy Star Classic

I really like Nei, but I like Rika a lot more. Classic Numans are going to be awesome forever.

Omega_Weltall
Oct 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
Why do i like Nei? well for one she has the same color scheme and similar clothing of my then favorite Marvel character Psylock.
2. yes you was stuck with her most of the game but she was very useful.
3. Boobs yes I was then and now a pervert :D

AweOfShe
Oct 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
inb4moved to Phantasy Star Classic

I really like Nei, but I like Rika a lot more. Classic Numans are going to be awesome forever.

This is the exact same sentiment I have. I think I was a bigger fan of Rika myself, but Nei is awesome simply because of the reasons Zora stated.

And just for homage sake...
[spoiler-box]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z104/AweOfShe1/Sigs/ending-8.jpg
They just look really awesome. :P[/spoiler-box]

Masterflower
Oct 13, 2008, 01:08 PM
<_< wow, no wonder i never heard of Nei, I only know PSO and up before that im clueless on the other PS games

ThEoRy
Oct 13, 2008, 02:25 PM
Because she's a sad, outcasted, biologically engineered half-monster, who fights using a mixture of agility and support, and has a heroic death half-way through the game.

This.

Morganna
Oct 13, 2008, 05:06 PM

Also, if I recall, she starts out as your (Rolf's) girlfriend...and most of us want one of those, right? :p

So, of the Nei lovers here, how many of us make Nei clones in PSU? I think I have one, but I might need to fix her up a bit. Also, I'm guessing that she's a wartecher (and Neifirst is an acrotecher)...

CelestialBlade
Oct 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
I did make a Rika in PSU once, made her a Wartecher because they had Twin Claws and support Technics. But to make her look more accurate, it's probably better to make her a CAST.

Akaimizu
Oct 14, 2008, 08:56 AM
Zora pretty much nailed it. In a more simplistic way, she's kind of the Aerith before Aerith.

I guess, if videogames were more mainstream, at the time; she'd get the same kind of world reaction.

Funny enough, the game sort of warned the player of such possible outcomes from a very early mission in the game.

Zorafim
Oct 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
Also, if I recall, she starts out as your (Rolf's) girlfriend...and most of us want one of those, right? :p

She's more like a little sister, really. Rolf found her when she was immature, and sort of raised her as a child.

landman
Oct 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
I like how she is dressed, I find her hot, and cute too, she is also a very useful character in combat, and they take her from you...

In the other hand, Alys/ Laila was not very useful in combat and she was rude and a tomboy...

CelestialBlade
Oct 15, 2008, 01:01 PM
Alys wasn't that effective in combat (felt like a nerfed Kyra, and I didn't even like her that much) but she's one of the most awesome females in the entire Phantasy Star series. I can definitely see why Chaz looks up to her.

Mysterious-G
Oct 20, 2008, 11:09 AM
Due to the fact that I think that the PS series have a terrible history of character development, I never got to like any of the characters alot.
PSIV did that way better imo, and I really like all of the characters there.
I don't think that Rika had a more interesting personality than Nei, but I did not see much of Nei's in PSII, but saw alot of Rika's in PSIV, like of any other character in that game.

Alys, Chaz, Hahn, Rune, Gryz, Rika, Wren all had an awesome personality, imo.
And hell, I love that green Dezorian, Raja.
Demi and Kyra did not seem as important as the others to me, however. But oh well.

Or Zio. Zio was so damn awesome. And he was a villain! What about Lassic? I was told that he is an evil king in the beginning, and the next time I heard of him I killed him in his flying castle. And did PSII even have any noticable villain? Neifirst came into the story too late (When she was killed...), mother brain was a dull computer.... and Dark Force...... Well, he was the same thing you fought in PSI...
What I mean is, neither the charas, nor the villains really noticably interacted in the story in any of the PS games besides in PSIV.
That's why I got to love all the charas in PSIV, while not really anyone in the other games.

And about Nei in specific: I feel like in Nazi Germany, being pushed into liking Hitler from every side. With all the Nei cameo stuff, they make us like and miss her.

Aumi
Oct 21, 2008, 04:50 AM

This and she was the cutest character in the PS Series up until now, IMO! ;-) I too have made reincarnations of her in PSO, PSU and SCIV. Oh and she also has a reincarnation in the PS Memorial Drama CD. You can see more of her personality there.

Zorafim
Oct 21, 2008, 11:28 AM
I still haven't been able to get my hands on that CD. I really want to see that, seeing these PS characters in anime format seems great.

CelestialBlade
Oct 21, 2008, 11:30 AM
I still haven't been able to get my hands on that CD. I really want to see that, seeing these PS characters in anime format seems great.
Yeah, do want.

Aumi
Oct 21, 2008, 02:34 PM

Err, it's not an anime, it's an audio drama... o.o

Myphys
Oct 22, 2008, 09:29 PM

Do you absolutely want to buy the CD, or do you just want to listen to it?
ie. mp3:
http://pscave.com/other/dramacd/

and translation thread:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125196

Sharkyland
Oct 23, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hmm, why I like Nei?
- she's cute (so is Neifirst in the Genesis version, ungh, the remake of her is horrid, but Nei is still kinda cute)
- personality: (forcing rolf to take her), (fighting for what she believes in)
- dependable (resta)
- probably the first female character in video games to wield claws as weapons (and can wield two ^_^)

Akaimizu
Oct 24, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah. Phantasy Star was kind of like that for putting female characters in the limelight. Even the first Phantasy Star could be noted as one of the first JRPGs that had a female character lead, and one that was basically a blade-wielding warrior. Not only that, but she leads as the start of the complete series.

Omega_Weltall
Oct 24, 2008, 02:27 PM
I loled
http://www.fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/ps2nei.htm

CelestialBlade
Oct 24, 2008, 02:33 PM
I loled
That's....wow XD Nei hates penguins!

Akaimizu
Oct 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
Actually, I think she had a bigger beef with that woman in the exercise room. Ouch!

Though I do like the 16-bit images. Just because they appear more convincing.

What's interesting is that I swear I've seen that same exercise animation, but with a different thing edited in to act like they pushed that person. It might even been an internet meme, but the Nei version.

(Kind of like the Mr. T version of the Zero Wing (Cats) scene).

Shadowpawn
Oct 26, 2008, 05:34 PM
I don't have any attachment to Nei.

Aumi
Oct 27, 2008, 06:00 AM
I don't have any attachment to Nei.

Then why the hell do you actually post in this thread??? :-?

CelestialBlade
Oct 27, 2008, 08:25 AM
He wishes to be LYNCH'D D:

Sharkyland
Oct 27, 2008, 04:52 PM
I loled

Hahaha...

raikomaru40
Oct 30, 2008, 06:43 AM
I especially like the 'Nei & the penguin' one, also, 1st post in PSCG!

Shin_Damion
Nov 4, 2008, 03:23 PM
those were really funny :)
I never understood why i always loved nei

but i remember when i fought nei first i looked every where to bring her back to life :-p but i heard that the remakes have a way to bring her back

Frog
Dec 10, 2008, 02:05 PM
I love Nei!!! She was the first game character I emotionally got attached to and then she dies which was a first(at least to me in 1990). So yea, I still love her!!!

Shadowpawn
Dec 10, 2008, 02:48 PM

Because the topic is assuming that everyone loves Nel without exception.

SStrikerR
Dec 10, 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't know if "love" is the right word, but I think she's pretty badass. >_>

raikomaru40
Dec 11, 2008, 07:40 AM
Nei is just Nei. Get used to it.

The_Pea_Guy
Mar 3, 2009, 05:52 AM
Because she's a hawt furry wearing a purple spandex swimsuit and boots. :G

Crazyleo
Mar 4, 2009, 10:07 AM
Because she's a hawt furry wearing a purple spandex swimsuit and boots. :G

Can't argue about that statement ^^

I do like Nei (and the weapons named after her in PSIII and IV), but I'm more of a Rika fan myself. :-P

jShazBot
Apr 10, 2009, 01:03 AM
"We are the knights who say NEI!"

Zorafim
Apr 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
Can't argue about that statement ^^

I can! Nei's not a furry!

Gryzz
Apr 11, 2009, 12:20 AM
Nafoi all furries.

Sinue_v2
Apr 11, 2009, 08:13 AM
I like how she's part biomonster, and how she sympathizes with the enemies you fight and kill as her own kind. I also like her dynamic with NeiFirst - how she knew before the game even started that going with Rolf would lead her to Neifirst, and her eventual death. She willingly sacrificed herself for those she loved, and for the people who hated and scorned her.

I learned pretty much all this later though, through other reading materials. In terms of hotness, I always thought Shir Gold and Anna Zirsky were hotter.

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Apr 13, 2009, 09:58 AM
Compared to Alys I'd say she'd come 2nd. But she is still my favorite PS character. Hell during the PSO days I made a newman force character named Nei3rd! I don't think I ever finished PS2 once Nei died though. I liked her.

The Starbird
Apr 21, 2009, 09:19 PM
just be thankful that the Neifirst project was perfected after thousands of years, else PSO and PSU would be a total race out. Though I believe I remember Nei thinking that her creation shouldn't have happened. so :-?

overall though, I like Rika a lot better... Nei was a tortured soul because of her link with Biomonsters and her other half who was terrorizing Motavia. Rika was more cheerful and intelligent..

Frog
May 4, 2009, 11:05 AM
I've been working on a new HUnewearl character called Nei for Gamecube PSO. I'm leveling her up so that when friends come over we can play splitscreen co-op with my normal FOmar.

She looks just like Nei except that she is wearing a white outfit.

Zorafim
May 4, 2009, 08:38 PM
Completely unintentional, but my PSO HUnewearl looks like Nei too. Same face and hairstyle, but different colors. 'guess I just like the look.
I even think I made her before I knew about Nei...

Skyly HUmar
May 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
Not a big fan of Nei. I think she is over hyped just because she kicks the bucket like so many people both fictional and real before and after her.

Actually, Nei was the first game char to ever die permenantly.

I like Nei cuz she died to prove she wasnt a monster.