PDA

View Full Version : Pronouncing names

NDW
Oct 13, 2008, 01:42 AM
There is something I've wondered about for a while. What is the correct pronunciation of "agito", as in "Agito Repca"?

9lotus
Oct 13, 2008, 01:47 AM
ah-gee-toh

NDW
Oct 13, 2008, 01:59 AM
ah-gee-toh

Thanks, most people I hear say it have been pronouncing it "ah-JEE-toh" where "JEE" is the letter G sound.

DarthLasek
Oct 13, 2008, 02:47 AM
Wait...how is Megid supposed to be pronounced? Ive never heard any friends actually say it...I always just called it Meh-Jid.....then again....I have heard someone say Meh-Gid(Gi as in give)

Umberger
Oct 13, 2008, 03:27 AM
I have heard someone say Meh-Gid(Gi as in give)

That is the correct way to pronounce it.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 13, 2008, 06:22 AM
Always called her "nay"

shotsfired
Oct 13, 2008, 08:13 AM
eh, to-may-toe, to-ma-toe

as long as we know what you are referencing, who cares...

joefro
Oct 13, 2008, 08:19 AM

This.

Cracka_J
Oct 13, 2008, 08:53 AM
Actually here's a nice bit of conversation I read last week regarding these pronunciation issues. I used it to prove mexicans wrong who like to say ajeeto and mejid. <3 Jose

Since it's Japanese in origin, I'm pretty sure the g is always pronounced hard. (Same with Agito, etc.) I'm not fluent in Japanese, though, so that could be wrong. I bet Espio could say for sure. :)

(I actually used to pronounce it 'Sahn-juh' until recently, but corrected it after looking into it a bit more.)

Also, to those just now listening - you can still get a shot at winning the meseta if you can drop us the three correct mystery tracks before this Thursday! At that point we'll throw all the names of those who answered correctly into the raffle and pull one out per server for the prizes.

Thanks!

Yup, Ruby's got it right. That's the correct pronunciation.

stukasa
Oct 13, 2008, 11:23 AM
That's one reason I like Japanese, the pronunciations aren't as messy as they are in English. Unless you've got a funny translator, G and J are never interchangeable. In Japanese, G is always pronounced like in "give" and J is always pronounced like in "just." So Megid is "meh-gid," not "meh-jid." Agito is "Ah-gee-toh," not "ah-jee-toh." The only way that wouldn't be true is if the translator changed the letter during translation.

Omega_Weltall
Oct 13, 2008, 12:07 PM
i've been saying Mejid since Phantasy Star 2(1989) and its a tough habit to break. Since the last story mission i've been saying MEGEEEEEED thanks to Howzer.

lantis-zagato
Oct 13, 2008, 02:02 PM
im no language scholar and i know very very very little japanese...but from what I understand there is no equivalent for the letter "G" in japanese. When they try to pronounce g its sounds like zhi or zi. AKA, a-gi-to= a-zhi-to. I do not promote the use of the other pronunciation. Keep in mind I could be utterly completely wrong! :)

ThEoRy
Oct 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
http://www.answers.com/topic/megiddo

There is the proper pronunciation of Megiddo, The city which is mentioned in the New Testament as the site for Armageddon which would explain the destructive nature of the tech..

NDW
Oct 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.answers.com/topic/megiddo

There is the proper pronunciation of Megiddo, The city which is mentioned in the New Testament as the site for Armageddon which would explain the destructive nature of the tech..

Interesting! :o

Omega_Weltall
Oct 13, 2008, 03:10 PM
didnt know that? ya the whole thing is supposed to be Har Megiddo basicaly meaning Arm at Megiddo. er something... i forget... or was it Har was some moutain range that Meggido was near... or was that Gog and Magogg...oh well we'll all find out in 2012

Dana
Oct 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
doesnt anyone have a list of the names in katakana? that would solve the problem >.>

Inazuma
Oct 13, 2008, 04:27 PM
magashi actually says megido when he casts it. it sounds like meh - gee - doh. but there are no long vowels so dont hold any one sound for too long.

BahnKnakyu
Oct 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
^

You mean JP Magashi.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 13, 2008, 06:13 PM
While we're on the pronunciation topic, how do you say "Techer"? Is is Te-ch-er, Tekker, or something else?

STRANG
Oct 13, 2008, 06:33 PM
it just sounds we todd ed to give the "g" the "guh" sound in agito and megid. Have some balls, say it like a BEAST!

Oh yea and This :]
http://esl.about.com/od/speakingintermediate/a/hardsoftcg.htm

Inazuma
Oct 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
While we're on the pronunciation topic, how do you say "Techer"? Is is Te-ch-er, Tekker, or something else?

you really wanna know the correct pronunciation? its techter (written as tekutaa). they took the eng word techer (based off the word technique) and modified it slightly, like many pso/psu terms are.

btw, did you know that dimate is actually pronounced dee mate and trimate is actually toh ree mate. ST likes to take english words and tweek em a bit. unfortunatly this stuff doesnt show up on eng ver. it would prob look like mass misspellings -_-;

barnacleez
Oct 15, 2008, 01:58 AM
btw, did you know that dimate is actually pronounced dee mate and trimate is actually toh ree mate. ST likes to take english words and tweek em a bit. unfortunatly this stuff doesnt show up on eng ver. it would prob look like mass misspellings -_-;

Anybody who's taken chemistry knows that's not how you pronounce those prefixes... mono representing 1, di (die) representing 2, tri (try) representing 3 for compounds (heck, the symbols for these when on your palette have the same number of dots). If anything, it's likely that the JP named made the names shorter for simplicity's sake for an "ee" sound, since you'd need two characters to mimic the "eye" sound. Choose whichever pronunciation you wish, though one makes much more sense to me than the other...

Yusaku_Kudou
Oct 15, 2008, 07:40 AM
im no language scholar and i know very very very little japanese...but from what I understand there is no equivalent for the letter "G" in japanese. When they try to pronounce g its sounds like zhi or zi. AKA, a-gi-to= a-zhi-to. I do not promote the use of the other pronunciation. Keep in mind I could be utterly completely wrong! :)

Completely wrong. :D It's the same sound (give, geezer, geist).

landman
Oct 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
Geez, what's weird is English pronunciation, Japanese has one of the easiest pronunciations of all the languages!!

What I didn't know is that dimate was pronounced "dimeito" I always said di-ma-te lol

ANIMEniac
Oct 15, 2008, 01:29 PM
for the record, im tired of ppl using the english pronunciation of "Sange"

it is pronounced 'Sah-n-gay' not 'Say-n-j..' (dont know how to extend j sound without making it juh :P)

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 15, 2008, 01:37 PM

This.
Double This ^_^

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 15, 2008, 01:39 PM

it is pronounced 'Sah-n-gay' not 'Say-n-j..' (dont know how to extend j sound without making it juh :P)
Hmmmm I usually say it like saw-n-j
and just say yasha like Inuyasha :P

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
Anybody who's taken chemistry knows that's not how you pronounce those prefixes... mono representing 1, di (die) representing 2, tri (try) representing 3 for compounds (heck, the symbols for these when on your palette have the same number of dots). If anything, it's likely that the JP named made the names shorter for simplicity's sake for an "ee" sound, since you'd need two characters to mimic the "eye" sound. Choose whichever pronunciation you wish, though one makes much more sense to me than the other...
OMG we r bringing school into play... YES!!!! :-D I miss chemistry class when i was in high school.(1 1/2 year ago)

Inazuma
Oct 15, 2008, 02:19 PM

i know the correct english way to say mono, di (die) and tri (try) but since the japanese devs purposely altered the pronunciation, that becomes the correct way within psu. there are items w/ much longer names such as star atomizer, so i doubt they did em this way to save space.

モノメイト (mono)
ディメイト (di) sounds like the "de" in delicious
トリメイト (tori) toh ree

its your choice if you wanna use the correct names or not.

landman
Oct 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
Now that you mention atomizers... when I first played PSU (jp version) I read in katakana what I though was "Cosmo atomizer" but it is the moon atomizer x, so it provably said "cross moon atomizer", or they just changed the name in English xd

EspioKaos
Oct 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
Now that you mention atomizers... when I first played PSU (jp version) I read in katakana what I though was "Cosmo atomizer" but it is the moon atomizer x, so it provably said "cross moon atomizer", or they just changed the name in English xd
Nah, it's just Cosmo Atomizer in the Japanese version. Not sure why they changed it for the English version, though.

BahnKnakyu
Oct 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
Community harming translations anyone?

The translation staff at Segac likes to change a lot of item names and/or screw them up. Take for example the 1* Rod.

Yohmei is supposed to be Roddou (Roddoh) - Most Neudaiz weapons end with "ou/oh".
GRM is supposed to be Rodu (Rod)

Problem is, the translation staff screwed this up and interpreted the Yohmei Roddou as Rod, so when AotI came out, they had to rename it to GRM Rod.

Three cheers for the PROFESSIONAL translation team!

Ryno
Oct 15, 2008, 03:46 PM
have heard someone say Meh-Gid(Gi as in give)
Howzer? LOL

barnacleez
Oct 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
i know the correct english way to say mono, di (die) and tri (try) but since the japanese devs purposely altered the pronunciation, that becomes the correct way within psu. there are items w/ much longer names such as star atomizer, so i doubt they did em this way to save space.

モノメイト (mono)
ディメイト (di) sounds like the "de" in delicious
トリメイト (tori) toh ree

its your choice if you wanna use the correct names or not.

So the names of these are in katakana on the JP side, eh? You just helped prove my point even further, because katakana's used to translate English words into Japanese. Not only does it butcher our language, it makes words lose alot of the meaning they once had.

There's really no argument here now, since you're basically saying that japanified words are the dominant pronunciation over english ones they copied, so we should all sound as weeaboo as possible (Diadu!). No thanks, keep your flawed language system on your JP side. :/

Inazuma
Oct 15, 2008, 05:43 PM
So the names of these are in katakana on the JP side, eh? You just helped prove my point even further, because katakana's used to translate English words into Japanese. Not only does it butcher our language, it makes words lose alot of the meaning they once had.

There's really no argument here now, since you're basically saying that japanified words are the dominant pronunciation over english ones they copied, so we should all sound as weeaboo as possible (Diadu!). No thanks, keep your flawed language system on your JP side. :/

you missing my point here. sonic team purposely altered english words. no matter how flawed or messed up the game items seem to you, their names for items are correct b/c they are the creators of the game. if they use normal unaltered english words, its fine to use the english pronunciation (such as saying force instead of foosu. thats ok) but if they go out of their way to change "techer" to "techter", then "techter" becomes the correct term. treat them like a name, not like some standard english word.

this is what you sound like:
"google" is incorrect b/c on the UK version of the website its called "gougle". "google" is wrong b/c its flawed english

just b/c "google" is a flawed version of the normal english word, doesnt mean its not the correct term. google the company purposely altered the word, just like sonic team.

Chuck_Norris
Oct 15, 2008, 05:53 PM

I call it San-Gee. :wacko:

GaNksTa
Oct 15, 2008, 05:56 PM
There have been numerous topics about pronunciation. There was one I recently posted in:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2157951&postcount=32

barnacleez
Oct 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
you missing my point here. sonic team purposely altered english words. no matter how flawed or messed up the game items seem to you, their names for items are correct b/c they are the creators of the game. if they use normal unaltered english words, its fine to use the english pronunciation (such as saying force instead of foosu. thats ok) but if they go out of their way to change "techer" to "techter", then "techter" becomes the correct term. treat them like a name, not like some standard english word.

this is what you sound like:
"google" is incorrect b/c on the UK version of the website its called "gougle". "google" is wrong b/c its flawed english

just b/c "google" is a flawed version of the normal english word, doesnt mean its not the correct term. google the company purposely altered the word, just like sonic team.

My point is that the JP pronunciations should stay Japanese and the English pronunciations should stay English: don't carry them over. Read and say the text as you would in your primary tongue, not another way because it's different in another language, even if it's the one the game was originally made with.

You're saying that Sega's English translation of the words was wrong. Even if that is the case, I'm not gonna be bothered by that enough to check on the JP side how the word is meant to be said by their standards.

Theoretically speaking, what if a person did know how all the words were really supposed to be pronounced. What does this person gain from this knowledge? Not much... all he/she can really do is to bash their "wisdom" into other people who were previously enjoying the game for what it is, not how the items are named. I myself looked past the fact that shotguns in this game had their rootnames set as "Shigga" because I just like shotguns in general, wacky names ignored.

Topics like these only convey a single point that everyone is saying to one another: "You're doing it wrong"

Inazuma
Oct 15, 2008, 07:01 PM
My point is that the JP pronunciations should stay Japanese and the English pronunciations should stay English: don't carry them over. Read and say the text as you would in your primary tongue, not another way because it's different in another language, even if it's the one the game was originally made with.

You're saying that Sega's English translation of the words was wrong. Even if that is the case, I'm not gonna be bothered by that enough to check on the JP side how the word is meant to be said by their standards.

Theoretically speaking, what if a person did know how all the words were really supposed to be pronounced. What does this person gain from this knowledge? Not much... all he/she can really do is to bash their "wisdom" into other people who were previously enjoying the game for what it is, not how the items are named. I myself looked past the fact that shotguns in this game had their rootnames set as "Shigga" because I just like shotguns in general, wacky names ignored.

Topics like these only convey a single point that everyone is saying to one another: "You're doing it wrong"

i agree w/ you about this. even tho the eng ver has crappy translations, its easy just to use their terms to avoid confusion. but in a topic about pronouncing names and seeing ppl posting questions about it, you cant blame me for telling em the truth. btw, i will write it as "trimate" b/c "torimate" is just confusing. however, i will often write stuff like "megido" "fortechter" "protranzer" kazknight" etc as well.

also, it may just be an excuse but since i play on jp ver, im using the correct japanese spellings of all these terms most of the time, so it naturally carries over to english language forums.