PDA

View Full Version : Two Videos of Good Gameplay

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Here are two good video's that show of the Gameplay at the TGS. Comments and New video's are welcomed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM6_sR-STTU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqxspTqI5g

Niered
Oct 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
Ummm...have you even looked at the front page recently? These have been posted there for almost a week.

EDIT: Only the first one has, the 2nd one is new, so good find!

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 04:04 PM
Ummm...have you even looked at the front page recently? These have been posted there for almost a week.

EDIT: Only the first one has, the 2nd one is new, so good find!
lol, thanks.

I wish the guy who was playing in the second video, had tried a bit more. But I guess when he was standing you could see how the others played.

Niered
Oct 13, 2008, 04:36 PM
Mechguns look sick, although it would be nice if we could get videos of someone competent playing this game.

Aeternus
Oct 13, 2008, 04:43 PM
Mechguns look sick, although it would be nice if we could get videos of someone competent playing this game.

QFT

Thanks for posting though, i'll take any new vids I can get.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
No prob, lol I like to share so people will get more pumped.

Niered
Oct 13, 2008, 04:59 PM
Just thought I'd add these 2 videos I happened to stumble on, although they are terrible quality, we get our first look from the perspectives of a RAcast and a HUnewhearl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpMbKPUC1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTQcQ1ku4g

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
wow nice find!

edit: Btw did anyone notice at 24 seconds in the second video he was Crouching in shooting? Or am I just late? Man the graphics look good.

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm glad the Mechguns have appeared, I didn't notice any in any previous videos.

Great finds on the new vids, both of you! Time to add them to my PS0 OCD internet rota. ^^

Shiroyu
Oct 13, 2008, 06:08 PM
That's the HUmarl, not the HUnewearl.

Either way though, looks great. This game is going to rock!

Saphion
Oct 13, 2008, 06:20 PM
The graphics are blowing my mind.

Vanzazikon
Oct 13, 2008, 08:12 PM
Oh great, my computer is lagging and it won't play the videos. >.> man everybody seems to enjoy it, lucky.

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
As great and fun as the gameplay does look, I still have a few concerns.

Show me a character casting techniques without a rod or wand equipped. If you can't do this, then the game will probably end up being about as flawed as PSU's design.

...And is it so much to ask for some exploration elements and actual map design? I'm really hoping the bleak room with only enemies, then you go into the next room is something they threw together for TGS, and is not representative of the exploration aspect of the full game, 'cause that looks really disappointing.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
As great and fun as the gameplay does look, I still have a few concerns.

Show me a character casting techniques without a rod or wand equipped. If you can't do this, then the game will probably end up being about as flawed as PSU's design.

...And is it so much to ask for some exploration elements and actual map design? I'm really hoping the bleak room with only enemies, then you go into the next room is something they threw together for TGS, and is not representative of the exploration aspect of the full game, 'cause that looks really disappointing.
Yeah, i'm sorry I don't see the flaw in the casting system, matter of fact all rpg's that i've player(Thats one longs list) You need to have a rod or wand to cast, infact the better the wand the stronger the magic. So could you please explain that one?

And yeah I agree to about the small exploration maps, I'm thinking that's because it was multiplayer, and just for the show. I'm pretty sure the single-player will be huge. Four Known levels, and a speculation of 4 more, from a screen shot. The maps I seen were fairly decent. But I don't think its something to worry about.

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah, i'm sorry I don't see the flaw in the casting system, matter of fact all rpg's that i've player(Thats one longs list) You need to have a rod or wand to cast, infact the better the wand the stronger the magic. So could you please explain that one?
...Judging by that answer, you make it sound as if you've only played Phantasy Star Universe. It's the only game I can think of that actually requires that you have a Rod or Wand equipped to cast spells.

A short list of games that don't require it: Phantasy Star Online, all Final Fantasy games, Diablo series, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Ragnarok Online, Dungeons and Dragons (where all of this stuff originated), Shadowrun... Just to name a few.

Now, it's one thing to have things such as rods and wands boost your magic damage - that's fine, and completely understandable. However, it's safe to say that there are a lot of people who enjoy specifically not specializing in one thing. In Phantasy Star Online, the chief way of differentiating characters from one another, especially among Hunters and Rangers, is their ability and capacity for using techniques... And not a single one of them could use a Cane, Rod, or Wand-type weapon, yet all of them could cast techniques at will if they're not an android.

Phantasy Star Universe, among its myriad of poor and thoughtless design decisions, decided that it was necessary to restrict casting techniques only to Forces (or Force derivatives), and also require that a Rod or Wand be currently equipped in order to cast at all. Again, this greatly hurt the fun factor of having a wide array of abilities, because you were constantly switching weapons, and therefore, constantly forcing the system to load and re-load different weapons (which is a well-known problem with the game, the loading times of weapons being so long) every time you want to cast a technique. Since in base PSU, Wands can only go in the right hand (just like one-handed melee weapons), and Rods are two-handed weapons, there was no option for someone to be able to use a one-handed melee weapon and a casting weapon at the same time (for the record, the only left-handed weapons were guns). This was one of the few of the game's numerous issues that was addressed in the expansion, where a left-handed casting weapon was introduced.

So really, if they want to make it more like what PSO was, they pretty much have to implement the ability to cast without a specific "casting weapon" equipped, or else, there would be basically no point in playing anything other than an Android if you're a Hunter/Ranger, and no point in playing anything other than a Newman if you're a Force.

Not to mention, we still haven't seen any form of quick weapon switch, which was one of those things that became pretty vital to higher-level play in PSO.

And yeah I agree to about the small exploration maps, I'm thinking that's because it was multiplayer, and just for the show. I'm pretty sure the single-player will be huge. Four Known levels, and a speculation of 4 more, from a screen shot. The maps I seen were fairly decent. But I don't think its something to worry about.
I don't think the fact that it's multiplayer will really make that much of a difference as to how big each part of an area can be. I don't expect anything absolutely massive, being that it's a DS game (but then again, we did get some pretty nicely-sized areas in games like Metroid Prime: Hunters).

That, and as far as rendering limitations due to hardware is concerned... Antiportals make the world go 'round.

But lets compare it to the Forest are of PSO. Forest 1 had a static overall layout, with the only differences being object placement, which thusly affected progression... But the areas weren't all that big, and something similar could certainly be done on the DS' hardware. Hell, bigger things are already available in current games on the system. Large-scale outdoor areas could be questionable, unless they're built like the Forest, where you can't really see the entire place from whatever room you're in... And Forest 2 could easily have its polygon count limited even further, to accomodate.

I don't honestly see the reason for doing this, unless they're planning on having encounters being the focus, rather than actual adventure - and even if that were the case, drastically-simplified areas as such would only be necessary for huge encounters with massive numbers of enemies at once... Which were fun in Endless Nightmare.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 13, 2008, 09:45 PM
...Judging by that answer, you make it sound as if you've only played Phantasy Star Universe. It's the only game I can think of that actually requires that you have a Rod or Wand equipped to cast spells.

A short list of games that don't require it: Phantasy Star Online, all Final Fantasy games, Diablo series, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Ragnarok Online, Dungeons and Dragons (where all of this stuff originated), Shadowrun... Just to name a few.

Now, it's one thing to have things such as rods and wands boost your magic damage - that's fine, and completely understandable. However, it's safe to say that there are a lot of people who enjoy specifically not specializing in one thing. In Phantasy Star Online, the chief way of differentiating characters from one another, especially among Hunters and Rangers, is their ability and capacity for using techniques... And not a single one of them could use a Cane, Rod, or Wand-type weapon, yet all of them could cast techniques at will if they're not an android.

Phantasy Star Universe, among its myriad of poor and thoughtless design decisions, decided that it was necessary to restrict casting techniques only to Forces (or Force derivatives), and also require that a Rod or Wand be currently equipped in order to cast at all. Again, this greatly hurt the fun factor of having a wide array of abilities, because you were constantly switching weapons, and therefore, constantly forcing the system to load and re-load different weapons (which is a well-known problem with the game, the loading times of weapons being so long) every time you want to cast a technique. Since in base PSU, Wands can only go in the right hand (just like one-handed melee weapons), and Rods are two-handed weapons, there was no option for someone to be able to use a one-handed melee weapon and a casting weapon at the same time (for the record, the only left-handed weapons were guns). This was one of the few of the game's numerous issues that was addressed in the expansion, where a left-handed casting weapon was introduced.

So really, if they want to make it more like what PSO was, they pretty much have to implement the ability to cast without a specific "casting weapon" equipped, or else, there would be basically no point in playing anything other than an Android if you're a Hunter/Ranger, and no point in playing anything other than a Newman if you're a Force.

Not to mention, we still haven't seen any form of quick weapon switch, which was one of those things that became pretty vital to higher-level play in PSO.

I don't think the fact that it's multiplayer will really make that much of a difference as to how big each part of an area can be. I don't expect anything absolutely massive, being that it's a DS game (but then again, we did get some pretty nicely-sized areas in games like Metroid Prime: Hunters).

That, and as far as rendering limitations due to hardware is concerned... Antiportals make the world go 'round.

But lets compare it to the Forest are of PSO. Forest 1 had a static overall layout, with the only differences being object placement, which thusly affected progression... But the areas weren't all that big, and something similar could certainly be done on the DS' hardware. Hell, bigger things are already available in current games on the system. Large-scale outdoor areas could be questionable, unless they're built like the Forest, where you can't really see the entire place from whatever room you're in... And Forest 2 could easily have its polygon count limited even further, to accomodate.

I don't honestly see the reason for doing this, unless they're planning on having encounters being the focus, rather than actual adventure - and even if that were the case, drastically-simplified areas as such would only be necessary for huge encounters with massive numbers of enemies at once... Which were fun in Endless Nightmare.

Wow, I don't know where to start on this one so many possibilities. For one I never even played PSU, infact every game you just mentioned are the game I do play and was planning on quoting. Final Fantasy, Guild Wars, Diablo, WoW, Dragon Quest, Slik Road, Maple Story, Ragnarok, FFXI, My list can go on and on. And for almost 99% of them only Mages, cast spells, However in Guild Wars, there is a secondary class, which is different. Warriors can't cast spell's unless they have a Mage (elementalist) as there secondary. So its quite obvious you'd need a wand/rod to cast spells. Some of the games I mentioned I'm not 100% sure if they "REQUIRE" you to use a rod/wand to cast spells or other type of weapon, but since I like the stat boost i've always had it.

I am positive of the fact though that in everyone of those games, there is a requirement for using rods/wands, and that would be your class, which is always a Mage. You sort of lost me when you started referencing PSU, since I never played that game, but what I understood is that switching weapons made it hard to use certain skills effectively since there was a bad loading time on changing weapons. Which I agree that would be troublesome, however I never played PSU as I said, and i'm quite frankly not sure how the Class system/skills work.

But I do remember in Guild Wars, there were hot keys for switching weapons "F1~F4" Where you had certain weapons for each, and you'd switch them for certain stat bonus' and health regins, and what not.

zandra117
Oct 13, 2008, 10:05 PM
awesome! mag statuses are back!

In the second video during the dragon's entrance you can see the players' mags casting shifta deband on their owners. Just like PSO!

Kent
Oct 13, 2008, 10:14 PM
I'm talking requirements for casting - I'm not talking classes.

In my experience, only PSU has had the requirement of a wand or rod to cast at all.

In FFXI, for instance, you have your mages. White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, Blue Mage... And not a single one of them has to use a staff or wand. Hammers, Daggers, Rapiers, and Sabers, respectively, can be used and the character is still allowed to cast their respective magics, because the equipment is irrelevant, as it's something ingrained into the character.

What I said before seems to bear reiteration: I'm not against the idea of being able to equip a wand or rod to boost your casting-specific stats, as that's what their purpose is - what I am against is the requirement to do so to cast at all. If I know a technique/spell, I should be able to cast it if I have my saber equipped, simply because, odds are, if I'm playing some sort of online RPG... I'm not going to be a "pure" caster or "pure" melee character.

It's something that I don't enjoy doing - being forced into only using melee, or only using ranged means of combat. It's why I played a FOmar in PSO (because they mixed the two together so well), and a Blue Mage in FFXI. It's also why I stayed clear of playing Androids in PSO - because I was essentially prevented any form of hybridization, and one of many, many reasons I don't enjoy PSU - because from the beginning, they never liked people doing anything but being purely one thing or another.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 13, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hmm..since you can fight without weapons and since CAST don't have magic but can use traps again, I really hope magic without a wand or rod is back, it pwnt all!

That being said, I hope CASTS are uber again and heal HP while standing plus don't get poisoned. >:]

Those videos are great! being a ranger actually looks like tons of fun now! Now rejoice ranger dudes and dudettes! :]

Rakath Talyn
Oct 13, 2008, 11:25 PM
There's no real reason to play HUnewm/ne if I can't use Techs and Blades at once... I really want techs to be available to all.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 13, 2008, 11:35 PM
Well, CASTs are Trap based again so we can all hope it is so.

Niered
Oct 13, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm talking requirements for casting - I'm not talking classes.

In my experience, only PSU has had the requirement of a wand or rod to cast at all.

In FFXI, for instance, you have your mages. White Mage, Black Mage, Red Mage, Blue Mage... And not a single one of them has to use a staff or wand. Hammers, Daggers, Rapiers, and Sabers, respectively, can be used and the character is still allowed to cast their respective magics, because the equipment is irrelevant, as it's something ingrained into the character.

What I said before seems to bear reiteration: I'm not against the idea of being able to equip a wand or rod to boost your casting-specific stats, as that's what their purpose is - what I am against is the requirement to do so to cast at all. If I know a technique/spell, I should be able to cast it if I have my saber equipped, simply because, odds are, if I'm playing some sort of online RPG... I'm not going to be a "pure" caster or "pure" melee character.

It's something that I don't enjoy doing - being forced into only using melee, or only using ranged means of combat. It's why I played a FOmar in PSO (because they mixed the two together so well), and a Blue Mage in FFXI. It's also why I stayed clear of playing Androids in PSO - because I was essentially prevented any form of hybridization, and one of many, many reasons I don't enjoy PSU - because from the beginning, they never liked people doing anything but being purely one thing or another.

I dont think you need to worry too much, it is confirmed by several videos that you can attack with rods and canes, as well as cast TECH's, however we have as of yet to find out if TECH's require wands or rods or canes to be cast.

My personal feeling? I doubt it. Its obvious that you can put multiple techs on your action pallete, as people players of the TGS demo said they had multiple techs available to them. So it seems rather cumbersome for you to have action pallete slots that dont have any use when your equipping different weapons.

Which leads to my next hypothesis, (an entirely circumstantial one mind you) that their is the possibility that the weapons available to each class have been severely cut down. My reasoning for this? We havent seen in a single TGS gameplay video, or more importantly, a tech-demo by SEGA, any Hunters using guns, any forces using sabers, or any rangers using sabers. This might be (and more than likely is) simply because they havent shown us footage like that. But also remember that in one of the tech demos they show a HUmar with a slew of what look like Rares, but ALL of them are melee, not a single gun in the bunch (if i recall correctly.)

They could have made it such that Forces can only equip force centric weapons, and vice-versa.

Like I said, dont quote me on this, its complete conjecture, and im more than likely wrong (it doesnt make much sense to me that this would be the case, they have the animations for the other characters so why not simply add them to most of the others? Also, PSO and PSU allow for classes to mix it up to a certain amount, and I dont see why they would change that) but it does bear mentioning.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 12:07 AM
Well, isn't the action pallet back? well just place magic into the slots and viola!

Gemel
Oct 14, 2008, 12:15 AM
Niered, in the same video with the Humar with the rare items also has a Humar using a launcher and a handgun, and a Hunewearl using a wand and handgun.

I was worried like you until I saw the Humar use the handgun photon art.

Niered
Oct 14, 2008, 12:17 AM
Niered, in the same video with the Humar with the rare items also has a Humar using a launcher and a handgun, and a Hunewearl using a wand and handgun.

Oh wow, your right! Nice to be wrong in this instance, thanks for bringing it up, disregard most of that post then.

jmanx
Oct 14, 2008, 12:22 AM
Yes the video is delicious

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 12:29 AM
New video!

Shows HUmar going around killing things,

Not much new, only that there is a part of the first level with some cool bridges and that big screen they have there is big and awesome!

Man, the Strategy Guide for this game will be delicious like the PSO one was...specially the MAG section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBwbQa534M

Niered
Oct 14, 2008, 12:54 AM
New video!

Shows HUmar going around killing things,

Not much new, only that there is a part of the first level with some cool bridges and that big screen they have there is big and awesome!

Man, the Strategy Guide for this game will be delicious like the PSO one was...specially the MAG section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBwbQa534M

Nice find, wishing we could find some of people playing as a character other than a HUmar.

It seems the only characters wever seen in play so far are:

HUmar
HUmarl
RAcast
RAcaseal
FOnewhearl
FOmar/FOnewm?

Id really like to see the in-game version of the RAmar and RAmarl, especially since the RAmar has stirred up such a debate on the artstyle.

Kent
Oct 14, 2008, 01:22 AM

Which video was this? I wish to see it, so I can sleep tonight.

Gemel
Oct 14, 2008, 01:25 AM
It's this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgHVE85MqM&eurl=http://www.pso-world.com/

It's after the middle of the video.

Kent
Oct 14, 2008, 01:40 AM
It's this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IgHVE85MqM&eurl=http://www.pso-world.com/

It's after the middle of the video.
That makes me feel a lot better about this game. Simply the fact that the wand had its own actual melee photon art - it looks like they're still completely separate from each other.

And the whole more varied equipment thing is nice, too, though there are still no forces wielding much of anything other than Wands, the fact that the HUnewearl uses one as well is slightly encouraging.

Rakath Talyn
Oct 14, 2008, 02:10 AM
It says somewhere that Sarisa is a HUne and not a FOne?

Cause I don't remember her class being revealed and she was the only non-default character design shown.

Gemel
Oct 14, 2008, 02:46 AM
She can be either class, she uses a wand in the video that shows her but both HUnewearl and FOnewearl can use a wand apparently. My bet is FOnewearl since most female leads are of the magic user kind.

If you're talking about the character using the photon art with a wand it's a HUnewearl if you look closely. Both Sarisa and the default HUnewearl look a lot the same but it's the hair color that gives it away the most.

Hucast-Kireek
Oct 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
That second video on the first page is awesome! it shows the Machine gun PA, and just how awesome the Dragon boss is! He even has a gust move that blows you away! This Dragon even hurts you when it dies and falls over you just like PSO! cant wait.

TechnoFunk
Oct 14, 2008, 01:18 PM
IGN did a sun-par coverage of PS0 at TGS. However we can get a look at what the game looks like when it's not blown up on a huge screen: http://media.ds.ign.com/media/142/14279774/vids_1.html

The game actually looks even better than I thought =)

Vanzazikon
Oct 14, 2008, 01:42 PM
No kidding, the fighting seems alot more versatile.

Aumi
Oct 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
Nice find, wishing we could find some of people playing as a character other than a HUmar.

It seems the only characters wever seen in play so far are:

HUmar
HUmarl
RAcast
RAcaseal
FOnewhearl
FOmar/FOnewm?

Id really like to see the in-game version of the RAmar and RAmarl, especially since the RAmar has stirred up such a debate on the artstyle.

Don't forget HUnewearl. But as far as the booths go, I guess you can only play as those four (HUmar, HUmarl, RAcast and FOnewearl). Can't wait to see HUcaseal and some more HUnewearl. :3

But this really looks nice. Also, the areas seem to be more like PSO, although we don't see too much of them yet. It is only a demo anyway.

ShadowInferno119
Oct 14, 2008, 06:57 PM
Found another New Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YavKOFd7Ess

Aumi
Oct 15, 2008, 07:09 AM
Wasn't this vid the first gameplay footage posted on PSOW? It's been on the front page for ages. Here's the link: http://www.pso-world.com/news/0219-gameplay-footage-released

ShadowInferno119
Oct 19, 2008, 11:10 PM
another video of a HUmar (i believe) One min and 40 Seconds long. Kinda boring but what ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBwbQa534M&feature=related

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Oct 20, 2008, 01:55 AM
Is it me, or does that HUmar in the videos seem to be a bit of an item hog?

ShadowInferno119
Oct 20, 2008, 08:51 PM
Is it me, or does that HUmar in the videos seem to be a bit of an item hog?
If you look, all the other players go around the item box's, but don't pick anything up so I'm thinking your items show only on your screen.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Oct 20, 2008, 10:52 PM
Well that's handy. Item hog proofing.