PDA

View Full Version : Western PSP will not have PS2 -> PSP character Transfer!

Clunker
Oct 15, 2008, 02:54 PM
Just read this at 1up.com's Preview section tab on the PSP game.

"1UP: Can you explain the functionality between the PS2 version and the PSP version and how it works?

SS: Unfortunately, that won't be incorporated into the Western version. But just to describe what it does: You'll be able to take your character from the PS2 version, download it from the network, and upload it on to your PSP, complete with that character's weapons, armor, facial features, and everything.

1UP: Why isn't that in the U.S. version?

SS: Because of technical difficulties.

1UP: But PSU servers are still running in the U.S., right?

SS: Yes.

ARGH! That means that our current characters on the PSU Online won't get the special items!!

I wanted the Fluge, dammit! >:[

Tyreek
Oct 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
*Dies* Explain technical difficulties? IF SEGA of JP did it right, they why the hell can't Sega of America do it?! Thank you for ruining a very nice feature in the game SEGAC. So I guess that means the mission Innocent Girl is void now right? This is about as bad as Capcom of America ruining the features of Megaman series now. (BN6 to Star Force)

EspioKaos
Oct 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
ARGH! That means that our current characters on the PSU Online won't get the special items!!
No it doesn't. Who's to say that there won't be a different method of obtaining the items whenever we get the mission "Innocent Girl?" They could always set it up so that as long as you complete the mission three times to upgrade Viviene's personality, you get the items automatically, with no need for PSP.

Clunker
Oct 15, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hrm, that's true.

*Sigh*

Sorry, Espiokaos, just kinda had a "OH$#!T" moment when I read that...

Still, kinda sad though.

Tyreek
Oct 15, 2008, 03:23 PM
I should be mad, but I won't be anymore. I however, cannot get over that bit about technical difficulties when SEGA JP could do it right. But SOA can't? This sort of ruins my future plans with my online character now.

Masterflower
Oct 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Personality, I think it could be a excuse to the xbox players since sega need the xbox servers alive. Since most of the income is coming from xbox side, they could be very mean and shut our side down completely.

landman
Well, technically the jp billing is very different from the western billing.

And since when were you able to transfer your weapons in PSP from PSU?? lol

PepperCat
Lazy coders on SEGAs part... or its taking them too long to fix.

Not having enough people to play the game obviously means they won't bother spending money for someone to fix the issue.

Clearly SEGA doesn't believe in integrity, or the "Principle" of the thing.

Akaimizu
Oct 15, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm so completely not surprised by this. I think even when they announced that kind of stuff for the Japanese version, there was enough people saying that it would probably not make it to the US version, if there is one.

Masterflower
Oct 15, 2008, 03:30 PM
I still say the only thing America is good at is only making sport games, and FPS games im not to crazy about cuz field of vision is shorter and it limits special actions you can do as suppose to third person

EspioKaos
Oct 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
And since when were you able to transfer your weapons in PSP from PSU?? lol
Heh, I was wondering the same. I guess Sakai got a bit overzealous during the interview. (Or the translator decided to ad lib a little.)

Honestly, I don't see this as much of a loss at all. The worst part of it is not getting a free 20 levels, but considering how easily EXP comes, it shouldn't take that long to make up for it.

Cracka_J
Oct 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
No it doesn't. Who's to say that there won't be a different method of obtaining the items whenever we get the mission "Innocent Girl?" They could always set it up so that as long as you complete the mission three times to upgrade Viviene's personality, you get the items automatically, with no need for PSP.

And they could just not give us the mission all together. I highly doubt they would recode a mission for us westerners, but I suppose it is a possibility.

Judging on past track record, I'll bet we never see this mission stateside.

BahnKnakyu
Oct 15, 2008, 04:09 PM
Well, technically the jp billing is very different from the western billing.

Yeah, it's different because it actually works.

Ash1ey
Oct 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
Figures.

furrypaws
Oct 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
Heh, I was wondering the same. I guess Sakai got a bit overzealous during the interview. (Or the translator decided to ad lib a little.)

Honestly, I don't see this as much of a loss at all. The worst part of it is not getting a free 20 levels, but considering how easily EXP comes, it shouldn't take that long to make up for it.

I could care less about the EXP, to be honest. What I cared about most was preserving my character after the ever-approaching shutdown, and to be honest, as goofy as this sounds, this could be the deciding factor against my purchase. They've already failed one of the coolest features the game had before it was even released. What's that going to say about all the extra stuff we're supposed to receive after the came comes out?

Akaimizu
Oct 15, 2008, 05:00 PM
Getting the first 20 levels is super easy and short to get to, in the console version; it's even easier on the PSP version. I recreated Tynselle in no time and it didn't take very long to level her and get a bunch of high PA arts. The PSP game is more or less a sped up version of the game it's based off of. Part of that catering to offline and online play, stuff.

Considering, playing the 360 version, I never got that bonus stuff for even the Japanese version, I really don't miss it. Stuff just comes to you. You just have to play it.

ShinAnt
Oct 16, 2008, 04:25 AM
This was a selling point in JP right?

I think most of us can agree that having the avatar you spent most of the time in PSU anywhere on your PSP, Was an awesome feature.

Talk about a kick in the sack. Just technical difficulties? or just plain laziness?

Akaimizu
Oct 16, 2008, 05:01 AM
To a certain degree. It's really pretty easy to remake your character on PSP. Heck, not many characters, people could make, would've taken more time to craft than what I did for Tynselle; yet even with the limitations of the PSP character creator, it ended up being a lot faster than I thought. It's not perfect (you don't have the marvelous face morphing ability of the console version, and instead have to pick from a selection of faces), but it brings it close enough given the resolution.

Not to mention, the entire PSP class system is a bit different than the console version. You have a bit less of them, in the game, but the ones that do exist are sort of like super versions of the classes of the same name. You do have definite areas of concentration for any given class; but the variety of abilities, for any one class, is quite high.

Literally, it took me minutes to recreate my character in the PSP version. So I consider the feature, JPN had, a small convenience, but not a selling point. It really sounded better on paper than it was in execution.

Googlebonker
Oct 16, 2008, 08:25 AM
To make it clear, though, the ones in this thread saying that this isn't a big thing that this feature will not be in the US version aren't trying to defend Sonic Team, correct?

Because if you are, you can really get me and others started on them. XD lol I mean, read the comment I left for the article posted on PSO-W's homepage:

What?! XD lol Why would Sonic Team leave out one of the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES from US PSU PSP? Eugh, can they do anything else to drive people away or hurt their US sales and subscription fees? It seems quite clear to me that Sonic Team has catered to their Japanese customers of online Phantasy Star games. Why haven't they provided us equal customer service and features? Sonic Team has made some awfully bad business choices.

Vorpalseraph
Oct 16, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm disappointed that SoA decided not to include the character transfer, but hey, at least they're bringing it over. lvling wasn't too much of a problem in the demo as I got to 20 in about 2 hours, with the new PP system lvling PA's isn't hard at all and can be done easily with a single weapon of that type (unlike in PSU where you had to have mutliple weapons and spam them dry to raise the PA lvl. Now I'm ~6 hours into the demo with all melee PA's capped.), and money has never been much of a problem in any PS game. On the plus side, no transfer means no gimped class lvl. I won't be able to use my blastbadge right away and I'll have to find my outfit again, but I'd rather be able to read the story without having to rely on a patch with an enigmatic release time, support SoA so they release more things in America and sooner, and not have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to import it than start with a small advantage that only cuts about 2 hours off my play time.

I refuse to be depressed about this game with the state it's currently in, despite the excuse they gave sucked. If they start cutting more things such as items or downloadable content then I'll start getting depressed, but it will take a lot more than no transfer to ruin the excitement I have.

SabZero
Oct 16, 2008, 10:57 AM

I believe it when I see it. This would mean a flood of whitill wings and vivienne SUVs - something I don't think they want to happen.

Akaimizu
Oct 16, 2008, 10:59 AM
The idea of saying character transfer isn't a big deal isn't to defend Sonic Team at all. You do realize that as the Japanese version was coming out, those playing on the 360 already heard such an announcement that seemed disappointing, at first.

However, then they released a demo. Within the same day, I posted pics right on this board, of my character on the PSP version. I say it isn't a big deal from experience, not simply because it makes Sonic Team look better. I'm not defending them as a company, here. However, I will also note when something good does come out, or the job is well done. In this case, no "well dones" are said. Just that those of us, who already went through recreating characters, found that it was easier than we thought.

PSP still kicks butt without that feature.

SubstanceD
Oct 16, 2008, 02:18 PM
I'm a little bit bummed that the PS2/PSP character upload won't be in the US version of the game but at the end of the day I don't think hurt PS portable too much. Surely PS portable has all of the clothing options that are in PSU:AOI and last I heard PS portable has more rare weapons then PSU:AOI, in theory ( unless I am mistaken which is quite possible ) there isn't anything in the home console version that isn't in the handheld game. It just means that I/we will have unlock/obtain these items instead of transfering from the console version.

EspioKaos
Oct 16, 2008, 02:32 PM
I believe it when I see it. This would mean a flood of whitill wings and vivienne SUVs - something I don't think they want to happen.
From what most everyone else seems to think, they don't care about our servers, so why should a "flood" of those two items matter to them?

Surely PS portable has all of the clothing options that are in PSU:AOI and last I heard PS portable has more rare weapons then PSU:AOI, in theory ( unless I am mistaken which is quite possible ) there isn't anything in the home console version that isn't in the handheld game. It just means that I/we will have unlock/obtain these items instead of transfering from the console version.
We would've had to earn and unlock them, anyway. Despite was Sakai said in the interview, weapons do not transfer over. And only the clothes your character is wearing at the time of transfer would come with them.

But yes, PSP does have more clothes and parts to choose from as well as many more rare weapons than AOTI.

Akaimizu
Oct 16, 2008, 02:35 PM
It just takes time to get them. The clothes, that is. You don't get them all from the beginning. You need to play missions and story to unlock them. So if you start the game and see hardly any clothing options; or even if you're a few or so missions down the line, and find the clothing lacking, just keep going.

SubstanceD
Oct 16, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I don't have broadband so I'm forced to play AOI offline so I'm very familliar with concept of unlocking more equipment in shops and extra clothing options by playing through storymode.

Evila
Oct 16, 2008, 04:18 PM
Alas... it sucks to see this feature removed, but in the end I was ready to remake my characters anyways. I took screen shots of all the important stuff in case I ever wanted to remake them in AotI's extra mode, bwahaha. Guess I can use that for this instead.

I'm more bothered by the lame four word excuse he gave. >_>

mizukage
Oct 16, 2008, 08:50 PM
No PSP-PS2 character upload? Actually, I am not sure how it would be possible to transfer files from the psp to the ps2 in the first place. I am guessing it utilizes the usb port and cables, but that only means that Phantasy Star Portable will have the same items, equipment, and stats as either the AoI or PSU game, otherwise it might cause a glitch.

Alas... it sucks to see this feature removed, but in the end I was ready to remake my characters anyways. I took screen shots of all the important stuff in case I ever wanted to remake them in AotI's extra mode, bwahaha. Guess I can use that for this instead.

AoI had an extra mode, I didn't know that.

Evila
Oct 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
No PSP-PS2 character upload? Actually, I am not sure how it would be possible to transfer files from the psp to the ps2 in the first place. I am guessing it utilizes the usb port and cables, but that only means that Phantasy Star Portable will have the same items, equipment, and stats as either the AoI or PSU game, otherwise it might cause a glitch.

AoI had an extra mode, I didn't know that.
Oh my bad, haha. I meant Story Mode. I got confused with the first PSU. @_@

And the character uploading in the Japanese game isn't done via USB cables or anything, it's done online.

Clint
Oct 17, 2008, 04:58 AM
Clarification, you are able to "import", take from, download your character from the PSUAOTI servers "not upload"
What comes with your import?
1. All character creation info face, hair, body, height, etc...
2. The clothes the character is currently wearing at the time of the import.
3. If you have more than 10,000 meseta it will only carry over 10,000 meseta that’s it.

What doesn't come with the import?
Weapons, Armor, Photon Arts, items, room decs, basically no inventory.
As far as importing for looks, your character is never up close in missions or lobby or room. Only time you see your character is in Story Mode which is something you complete then move on to hunting in Multi Mode where your charcter is a little person on a 4" screen. :D

I hope this clarified some mis-understandings :-)

-Clint

Clunker
Oct 17, 2008, 05:24 AM
Actually, Clint, that's the feature we're saying is not going to be in the western PSP release.

Thread title should probably have shown "...PS2 -> PSP Character transfer", for better clarity.

IE: taking the AOTI character from the PS2 servers, and transferring it to the PSP.

DarkShadowX
Oct 17, 2008, 06:34 AM
Well, I somewhat expected that feature to be removed, curse SoA. Oh well I hardly play the JP PSP as it is and have no real plans of getting the US one... Still, its the principle of the thing, SoA......LAME!

SabZero
Oct 17, 2008, 08:03 AM
From what most everyone else seems to think, they don't care about our servers, so why should a "flood" of those two items matter to them?

Ouch, that sounds quite bitter. I'm not bitter yet though. I'm just saying - they did fix AFK levelling, so they do care about maintaining a shred of the games integrity over on the US serrvers too...

We would've had to earn and unlock them, anyway. Despite was Sakai said in the interview, weapons do not transfer over. And only the clothes your character is wearing at the time of transfer would come with them.

But yes, PSP does have more clothes and parts to choose from as well as many more rare weapons than AOTI.

Yeah. But the items on AoI where the main argument for me. Like this, I might rent it, at most.