PDA

View Full Version : AotI Hello, haven't played in a while - need a quick tip

Silenced
Oct 18, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hi I used to play PSU before AotI came out. For various reasons I had to quit, but it was not because I disliked the game.

So: I just reinstalled, got the bastard to work again. Patched up.

a) What will I be able to do, seeing as I don't own AotI at the moment? Will it be any different before I reach the previous level cap? (For example in WoW before you get to level 58 it *basically* doesn't matter if you own the expansion or not (there are some restrictions but...)

b) How different will it be? Just the major differences - I don't wanna purchase AotI yet if I log in and find the community is dead / I change my mind about the game / etc. But I will purchase it in faith if it's game altering.

c) Is the community as dead as these forums make it sound? They're really depressing (sorry)

d) Which end-game classes should I strictly avoid playing? (I have a few in mind i wanna reach, and I'll prolly randomly chose one even if it's not hte most powerful - however I don't wanna hit the absolute worst - I played FOmar before - in gcn - PSO - and though I loved it - it was a bit sad, I mean I do want to get in groups at least once in a while)

Thanks guys!

Sry for the wall of text / somewhat off-topicity

Anduril
Oct 18, 2008, 02:38 AM
a)You can play all the v.1 missions up to S@ and get to the level cap but you can't use the new classes, you won't be able to enter player shops that are AotI rooms, and you probably won't find too many people doing non-AotI missions.

b/c) You get new classes, and new missions with AotI. Though I haven't personally seen the pop of the PC/PS2 server I'm sure you may be able to find people online.

d) The only class/race combos I can say to absolutely avoid are Newman Protranser and CAST Fortetecher but those are just because I've had horrible experiences with them.

Silenced
Oct 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
hah, alright thanks.

By the new classes i'm guessing it's the stuff u can only really access later on. I'll prolly buy the expansion by then. (same for AotI missions?)

And @d - that's good to hear, thanks.

ForteGunnerW
Oct 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
oh yeah what lvl did you get too because if you do non AOI missions it usually seems to be 10-30 if your over 50- 60 id say you might wanna get AOI...

Silenced
Oct 20, 2008, 04:04 AM
heh 23 now i think. Should slow down now soon though.

I'll see what the state of Force is, then I'll prolly order (or not).

Why are most of the regions so empty? Are people just grinding a few specific missions? (I've been mostly messing around on parum up to the 2 headed dragon / ruins area)

Zael
Oct 20, 2008, 06:48 AM
c) if you're on PC/PS2, yes. It's dead.

DAMASCUS
Oct 20, 2008, 11:34 AM
You can play any of the AOTI missions from a low level so that is not a problem. With the population so low finding others to run regular PSU missions and at a low level may be a challenge. If they set up a server titled for beginners that could really help you out but we'll have to just wait and see..

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 20, 2008, 01:50 PM
a/b.] To put it simply, without AoI, you can't use any of the content that's been released for the past year, or any content that is on its way. You'll miss out on missions, types, weapons, clothes, etc.

c.] PC/PS2 is doing pretty poorly, with an absolute highest of two stars at peak hours. You'd probably find some people willing to play with you and show you the ropes, but it might take a while to find them. Dunno about 360; more populated for sure, but I hear it's dropping lately.

d.] It doesn't matter. The game is so easy, that really any race/type combination is more than sufficient. If you liked FOmar, you'll like Acrotecher, and maybe Wartecher.

RemiusTA
Oct 20, 2008, 03:23 PM
a) What will I be able to do, seeing as I don't own AotI at the moment? Will it be any different before I reach the previous level cap? (For example in WoW before you get to level 58 it *basically* doesn't matter if you own the expansion or not (there are some restrictions but...)Well, the one mission everyone spams you wont even be able to play. Everyone you play with will be ugly because they're clothing and model will default to something else since you cant see clothing on the expansion.

Basically, youre gonna feel a bit left out, but i may be wrong. Nobody plays V1 missions aside from Plains Overlord and that ruins mission.

b) How different will it be? Just the major differences - I don't wanna purchase AotI yet if I log in and find the community is dead / I change my mind about the game / etc. But I will purchase it in faith if it's game altering.A great deal better than the original. when you first play, it'll feel like a surplus of stuff to see and find, and the story mode is exponents better than anything on V1. (however once you actually explore for a month or two and start waiting on Sega to supply us with stuff to do, you'll end up like alot of us around here.)

c) Is the community as dead as these forums make it sound? They're really depressing (sorry)
I dont know about 360, but on PS2/PC...well, yes. People can say crap like "well i like PS2/PC better because its a tight community, there are no little idiots on microphones, blahblahblah", but you might as well ignore them. Having a community this small and inactive is painful, and everybody knows it. When you sign on and see the same damn people in the same place everyday, it really starts to annoy you.

The community is so tight that ive almost been able to tell when certian people have aquired new rares that they havent had before, and i rarely ever talk to them. Thats how pathetic it is. And no, i dont play nearly as long a day as most people around here.

d) Which end-game classes should I strictly avoid playing? (I have a few in mind i wanna reach, and I'll prolly randomly chose one even if it's not hte most powerful - however I don't wanna hit the absolute worst - I played FOmar before - in gcn - PSO - and though I loved it - it was a bit sad, I mean I do want to get in groups at least once in a while)Dont know what you mean by endgame, but i personally might not get too confortable with any forces, since Sonic Team decided to be fucking retarded and release a future update to make it so any spells over Lv30 (Lv31 and Lv41 graphical evolutions) default to lv 21-30 evolution. That means although you'll still see the awesome new effect and range of your hard work leveling your technic up, your spells wont show it at all to any other player on the screen aside from damage. You also will never see a spell evolution over 31+ unless you yourself is casting it. (which is really lame.)

But if visual stuff like that doesnt bother you, go for it. My Fortetecher is still my favroite class out of all of them to play as, and unlike in PSO, if you're actually good at your class and use the elements/ support to your advantage, you're a damn helpful asset, and can solo pretty much any mission.

Just dont plan on looking cool by the time you hit the 80's -1xx's.