PDA

View Full Version : PSU possible 360/PC-PS2 Merger?

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 12:33 PM
Eh there is a rumor that its a possibility that it will happen this week? (along with the universe reduction and naming of universe)

PLEASE NOTE: This thread was not invented to start a rumor.(We already have enough of those XD)

I just want people's opinion about the topic.

I'm not a computer/networking guru(although I'm going to school for it), but people say that its possible.

I'm not sure how since 360 uses gamertags. I'm not sure how PC/PS2 have thiers.

But i guess it could be similiar to how some of the Instant Messengers are like right now.

Example:
On yahoo messenger(if you have it updated), you can talk to people who have msn,hotmail, and some other email formats and still be logged into your yahoo account. Its probably a bigger task than that but you should know what I mean.

Kylie
Oct 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
Microsoft would never let this happen, and it would take too much work :-P However, I'd enjoy a merge. I have friends on the 360 version (one that would really benefit from a merge), and I'm open to meeting more cool people. But another thing, they have mic capabilities--PS2/PC doesn't.

Anduril
Oct 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
I highly doubt it, and I can imagine that it would be quite a big problem for them to pull off considering how many problems there were just merging the two Worlds that the JPN version consisted of and they didn't have to deal with the whole LIVE integration factor in that situation.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
Microsoft would never let this happen, and it would take too much work :-P However, I'd enjoy a merge. I have friends on the 360 version (one that would really benefit from a merge), and I'm open to meeting more cool people. But another thing, they have mic capabilities--PS2/PC doesn't.

O yea....hmmm then i guess if they did it....they would have to keyboards.....wait.....you cant talk to people through mics on the PC side???? WTH??? Thats a first in my book

Pika
Oct 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
dont see that happening..to many problems....i do have friends there tho..so i wouldnt mind much...tho iv heard theres economy problems on pc/ps2 side...id rather that not end up on 360..

Kylie
Oct 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
dont see that happening..to many problems....i do have friends there tho..so i wouldnt mind much...tho iv heard theres economy problems on pc/ps2 side...id rather that not end up on 360..
I think a lot of that has been resolved over time and with the AOI shop system.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 12:43 PM

Hey now...what do you got against 360??? XD

Chibi_psu
Oct 20, 2008, 12:46 PM
It wont happen but i would like to play all together.This server changes are only maybe less universes and name

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
It wont happen but i would like to play all together.This server changes are only maybe less universes and name

Eh i know but i also wanted to see people's opinion about it if it actaully happened

Golto
Oct 20, 2008, 12:58 PM
The servers won't merge but for people who say its impossible to merge the 360 with the pc/ps2 how can you explain Final Fantasy 11? The xbox live stuff is just ontop of the psu data stream and could be ignored by pc/ps2.

RedCoKid
Oct 20, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'd love server reduction and/or merge with 360. Alas, it's too good to be true.

joefro
Oct 20, 2008, 01:15 PM
It won't happen but Microsoft isn't the problem. Other games have been cross-platform, most notably, FFXI. Sega made the mistake of including the option to view gamercards and having voice chat. If PSU didn't have voice support or gamercard interaction, a cross-platform PSU would be possible. I'm tired of the blame being on Microsoft when the problem is Sega.

joefro
Oct 20, 2008, 01:17 PM
The servers won't merge but for people who say its impossible to merge the 360 with the pc/ps2 how can you explain Final Fantasy 11? The xbox live stuff is just ontop of the psu data stream and could be ignored by pc/ps2.
Beat me to it. I'm glad other people understand...

RedRaz0r
Oct 20, 2008, 01:18 PM

Although this is prolly just a fantasy, this is a good point that I was also going to bring up. Someone said microsoft wouldnt let this happen, but why wouldnt they? They did for FFXI and they have nothing to lose.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 01:22 PM
I would actaully look forward to a merge if it happened
lol@sega screwing up a merger at the beginning.

McLaughlin
Oct 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
While I'd love to hang out with some of the PC/PS2 people around here, I don't see this happening.

The explanation for FFXI has been covered every time this comes up.

To begin with, SEGA's no where near as capable when it comes to security.

Second, FFXI plays on its own servers. SEGA would likely try to move the PS2/PC players to the 360's server. That will not fly.

Square has a system in place (PlayOnline Viewer) that moves the 360 players off Xbox Live and onto their servers. There's no way in hell the SEGA I know could work out something like that.

Their billing system as is doesn't even function properly, how well do you think it's going to work when they try to incorporate us?

Sasamichan
Oct 20, 2008, 01:27 PM
I wish this merge would happen and give the JP 360 population to the JP PS2/PC.

Kylie
Oct 20, 2008, 01:32 PM
I said that Microsoft wouldn't let it happen, knowing about FFXI, because Square Enix was probably more like, "Let it be cross platform capable, or we're not bringing our franchise to you," whereas SEGA was more like, "Take us, please!" I don't see Microsoft wanting to help out Sony or any other company willingly, and sharing their population would help us out immensely.

Plus, it'd likely make a few players switch from the 360 version to the PC version because of less lag, etc. Lots of people have told me that they would like to switch if our population didn't suck, and if they could keep their characters (although, a merge wouldn't necessarily mean you could swap platforms so easily now that I think about it...). At any rate, I don't blame them completely (maybe even blame SEGA/ST more so), but they do deserve some of it.

Also, like Obsidian_Knight (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=37071) said, SEGA is less capable when it comes to security.

Mighty Earth Sage
Oct 20, 2008, 01:35 PM
I personally love the idea.

that means both servers can keep a constant update schedule and one won't be ahead/behind the other.

Sasamichan
Oct 20, 2008, 01:38 PM
I personally love the idea.

that means both servers can keep a constant update schedule and one won't be ahead/behind the other.

I think this topic is talking about the NA/EU PS2/PC and xblock server merge.

McLaughlin
Oct 20, 2008, 01:38 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be an update today explaining what this little "surprise" is supposed to be?

Typical of them to miss their self-imposed deadline. :/

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 01:42 PM
xblock
:-o
lol

EspioKaos
Oct 20, 2008, 01:44 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be an update today explaining what this little "surprise" is supposed to be?

The day's not even over yet... :|

Dark Emerald EXE

Ruby said he would announce later today
http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=90418&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Golto
Later today US time they are supposed to make their hugely mind-bogling server change announcement.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
Later today US time they are supposed to make their hugely mind-bogling server change announcement.

I'm not either but your not buying into that are u :P

McLaughlin
Oct 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
The day's not even over yet... :|

While that's true, why wait until the afternoon/evening to announce something you want your players to get hyped about?

Golto
Oct 20, 2008, 01:48 PM
Anything more than universe reduction and universe name changes would shock me so much to make me fall out of my chair.

Noblewine
Oct 20, 2008, 01:58 PM
I don't like the idea and I hope it doesn't happen. I'm okay with reducing the number of universes but a merger is out of the question.

Para
Oct 20, 2008, 02:03 PM
It will never happen.

360 players will look at PS2/PC players as hackers and PS2/PC players will look at 360 players as glitchers ;|

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 02:05 PM
I don't like the idea and I hope it doesn't happen. I'm okay with reducing the number of universes but a merger is out of the question.

lol

wow there are people who really don't wont the merger to occur(if it was to happen)

i could imagine someone ranting about it if it did XD

Like fighting against each other in ur own country

lol i couldnt think of a similiar example

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 02:07 PM
It will never happen.

360 players will look at PS2/PC players as hackers and PS2/PC players will look at 360 players as glitchers ;|

I could be wrong but isnt glitching a preform of hacking???
Only difference is that glitching was already in the game.

I mean like when PSO was out.....when you "duped" something yea it was glitch but technically speaking that is kinda hackin :P

There are hackers on 360 as well.......i think....if there are there incognito :-o

moomoopenguin
Oct 20, 2008, 02:29 PM
I said that Microsoft wouldn't let it happen, knowing about FFXI, because Square Enix was probably more like, "Let it be cross platform capable, or we're not bringing our franchise to you," whereas SEGA was more like, "Take us, please!" I don't see Microsoft wanting to help out Sony or any other company willingly, and sharing their population would help us out immensely.

Plus, it'd likely make a few players switch from the 360 version to the PC version because of less lag, etc. Lots of people have told me that they would like to switch if our population didn't suck, and if they could keep their characters (although, a merge wouldn't necessarily mean you could swap platforms so easily now that I think about it...). At any rate, I don't blame them completely (maybe even blame SEGA/ST more so), but they do deserve some of it.

Also, like Obsidian_Knight (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=37071) said, SEGA is less capable when it comes to security.

like kylie said, if this did happen i would switch my characters to pc for good. i really enjoyed playing on the pc cus of screen capping. not to mention less lag. i thought about this quit a lot last night, and if they did do a merge they COULD pull off console switching if they went by the email that's linked to the gamertag instead of the gamertag itself. and if they did that too, the password is saved on there too. so there would really be no problem if they did it that way. i would really love to see this happen. and every time i see a gm i ask this same question every time. i really do think it would be a good thing for both servers.

Wraithind
Oct 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
Well, I cant say that Ive ever geard of this, but I think that something like this would be quite fun cause I have some friends in real life who play on the 360 servers but I dont have a 360 so I cant play with them.
While I think this is a good idea something tells me its not gonna happen, especially since the 360 servers are through XBox live and all of that and doesnt the 360 servers have voice chat and stuff like that? So they would probably have to start inluding that to the entire server as well (Which I would love personally)

str898mustang
Oct 20, 2008, 02:41 PM
eh a merge would be nice but with 360's MGG and messed up economy, I'd rather them be seperate.

Dark Emerald EXE
Oct 20, 2008, 02:43 PM
eh a merge would be nice but with 360's MGG and messed up economy, I'd rather them be seperate.

lol so cold
bsides....if the PC/PS2 was a bigger...if anything the economy would be the same for u as well

Mimo
Oct 20, 2008, 02:45 PM
merging would be fun, that way ppl wont have to buy two subsy's just to play with their friends (one sub. for xbox & another one for pc/ps2 x.x too much money wasted)

oh well, its a nice thought ^^

landman
Oct 20, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think it's technically impossible (Final Fantasy XI) but I doubt they will care enough to do it.

Akaimizu
Oct 20, 2008, 03:34 PM
SEGA would have to build an entire server front-end piece like Square/Enix did for FFXI to get it to work. That way it pretty much separates all the true character code from the gamertag. Yes, FFXI has a gamertag connection, but that's mainly for gamertag to PlayOnline account. Then the Playonline account does it's typical thing for your characters on FFXI. That's a whole middle infrastructure to create.

But alas, I would agree that they would not do all that work to get it working. Me, I'm indifferent about the possibility. However, I think the current problems they have, with the game running on individual systems, may be too problemic to merge them. FFXI clearly runs well, regardless of what you're running it on, so it's so much easier for them.

The only thing that is a bit saddening, is the reason for the merger, if it were to happen. Mergers can be interesting to have this (everybody plays together) aspect. (Not unlike the unofficial PSO stuff) However, if it is because of lack of population, that's another thing. I guess it's not too bad, though. Most of these games only cater to one single platform, in the first place.

Tetsaru
Oct 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
Sega should have done this from the beginning. If they were unable to have all of the platforms they were supporting be on the same servers, then they should've either come up with more funding to support it, or cut it entirely. There is absolutely no reason why all of our servers should be separated like some kind of 1970's-era segregated society. Online games are MEANT to be played with other people, regardless of where you live, or what console you play on.

RedCoKid
Oct 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
Wow, 4:1 in favor of a merge! People don't care about hack/glitch stereotypes as much as playing in a larger, non-divided community.

amtalx
Oct 20, 2008, 04:34 PM
Wow, 4:1 in favor of a merge! People don't care about hack/glitch stereotypes as much as playing in a larger, non-divided community.

Well this site is mostly PC/PS2 players. I've experienced both servers, and sorry, I don't want PC/PS2's totally jacked economy devaluing my hard earned items and meseta. Anyone that still claims the PC/PS2 economy has been righted over time is a damn liar.

furrypaws
Oct 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
Well this site is mostly PC/PS2 players. I've experienced both servers, and sorry, I don't want PC/PS2's totally jacked economy devaluing my hard earned items and meseta. Anyone that still claims the PC/PS2 economy has been righted over time is a damn liar.

It's not perfect, but I think that just the fact that elemental photons run for less than 20k now is a good sign. =\

Syndrome
Oct 20, 2008, 04:46 PM
like kylie said, if this did happen i would switch my characters to pc for good. i really enjoyed playing on the pc cus of screen capping. not to mention less lag. i thought about this quit a lot last night, and if they did do a merge they COULD pull off console switching if they went by the email that's linked to the gamertag instead of the gamertag itself. and if they did that too, the password is saved on there too. so there would really be no problem if they did it that way. i would really love to see this happen. and every time i see a gm i ask this same question every time. i really do think it would be a good thing for both servers.

Again back to FFXI, if you make a character, no matter what system you are on or whos system you are on if you sign into Playonline with your account, you can play with your character. It wouldn't seem like that big of a deal to do with server side saving and all. Also, I know absolutely nothing about game programming, but if the pc and ps2 have mic support (there is a headset like the 360 for SOCOM on ps2)
I'm sure they could somehow incorporate it...

amtalx
Oct 20, 2008, 04:53 PM
Again back to FFXI, if you make a character, no matter what system you are on or whos system you are on if you sign into Playonline with your account, you can play with your character. It wouldn't seem like that big of a deal to do with server side saving and all. Also, I know absolutely nothing about game programming, but if the pc and ps2 have mic support (there is a headset like the 360 for SOCOM on ps2)
I'm sure they could somehow incorporate it...

Its all feasible from a technical standpoint, but given ST's track record, do you really think they are capable of it?

Golto
Oct 20, 2008, 04:59 PM
http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/news_item.php?item=nid68

As expected by normal thought processes.

Syndrome
Oct 20, 2008, 05:02 PM
Oh, I have no doubt in my mind that this isn't going to be anything that we want/expect from them, I'm just saying that IF, BIIIIIIIIIG IF, they decided to do anything like that, that I just think it would be possible to all play on the same servers and transfer characters. I've had many good times on PSU, PSO on dreamcast was actually my very first MMO, and I've been in love ever since, but if ST really wanted to do something that would cater to what we feel like we want or deserve for our $10 a month, they would axe this game and start fresh, and actually make it a cross platform game. In fact, they should have done this years ago with Ep. 1&2.

McLaughlin
Oct 20, 2008, 05:04 PM

This site is a majority PS2/PC population, which stands to gain the most from a merger.