PDA

View Full Version : Japan or USA AoI?

breloom
Oct 21, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hey all,

My friend talked me into buying Phantasy Star Portable, and now I'm kind of addicted. I was looking into getting AotI for pc, and I was wondering which regional version to get. From what I have heard from friends, the US pc servers are really empty, and I was wondering if the JP servers were worth paying the extra money to import the game.

ashley50
Oct 21, 2008, 03:09 PM
you speak english right?
Then Get the US version, instead of playing a game in a language you are not familiar with.

And yes the JP servers has more players and upto date with updates unlike the US servers and 360 servers.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Oct 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
If you can understand Japanese well enough to play that version, then do so.
Only other reason to get the English version is if your friends are already on it.

Tyreek
Oct 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hmm. Well it all depends on your personal preference. Would you like to be where all the stuff is going on now? If so, then try Japan. If you want to play to get along and make friends, then try the US servers. But wait, are any of your friends on the JP server? Also, right now we are playing the waiting game with updates. If you are interested in the story for the game, we'll be getting Chapter 6 by this week. As for Japan, by next month they will be opening up with Chapter 7 and finishing up Episode 3 by December. But again, it all depends on your preference.

And like Ffuzzy said, if you can learn Japanese, the give the import a try.

Aorre
Oct 21, 2008, 03:18 PM
It may be worth your while to just learn Japanese to play PSU and other popular Japanese games in the future. Most people already have menus memorized and know exactly how many button presses each one requires anyway.

RegulusHikari
Oct 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
JP or nothing at this point.

If you don't already know the language, there is absolutely no point in going out of your way to teach yourself for the sole purpose of enjoying a video game. The whole concept is ridiculous.

If you die hard love the PSU engine and style and you've got buddies to play with, it might be worth picking up the US copy. But my honest personal opinion is to stay away from US PSU at this point. This is coming from someone who's stuck through since day 2.

My 2 cents.

moomoopenguin
Oct 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
come to the Japanese side. we have cookies. oh and cake!!!!

ashley50
Oct 21, 2008, 03:51 PM
and updates...*cough*

Aorre
Oct 21, 2008, 03:52 PM
If you don't already know the language, there is absolutely no point in going out of your way to teach yourself for the sole purpose of enjoying a video game. The whole concept is ridiculous.

It's only a bad idea if video games aren't your entire life, lol.

Like others have said, join JP PSU for the content and frequent updates. MAG+ is coming next month. :)

Inazuma
Oct 21, 2008, 05:24 PM
the jp ver is much better than the eng one but if you dont know any jp, you wont be able to enjoy it much. at the very least, you can learn katakana, which would only take a week or something. but it would be a good idea to learn how to speak the language too. you could just play w/ english players but there arent that many.

moomoopenguin
Oct 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
i haven't had a problem so far jumping in japanese players missions yet. i've got some phrases on my quicktabs explaining pretty much i suck at speaking japanese and they understand and we attempt to communicate as best as possible. as long as you attempt i think they understand and try and at least meet you half way ^^

syouz
Oct 21, 2008, 05:44 PM
if u wanna get boot all the time at the boss boxes being insulted by other ppl who think your are a noob cuz you just started the game then play in xbox 360

autumn
Oct 21, 2008, 05:52 PM
At this point I would say spend the extra on the JP version of the game. It isn't that bad to play with the JP populace, the others who import are really nice. In addition I found a group of JP players who spoke English pretty well and were always glad to drop me invitations when I was online.

_tsunami
Oct 21, 2008, 06:26 PM
The US PSU is fine its just you see people complaining are the ones who have unsatisfied appetites. Baw babies. If you haven't played aoi before then theres plenty for you to do on the current servers. The JP version is good too but they are ahead in updates and you might find it hard and lonely if you don't know japanese. Sure you have a few of those importers around but even they don't play much right now or fit to suit your time. Most of them promote it for like 1 month and mysteriously dissapear.