PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat Vs. Stylus Chat

Risingsun
Oct 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/24/point-counterpoint-voice-chat-vs-stylus-chat/

There is an interesting point counterpoint on DSfanboy about PS0. I'M curious to see where you all fall on the argument. Personally, I really like the idea of Visual Chat.

Reginaldo
Oct 24, 2008, 04:14 PM
voice chat in this game would lag us all to hell

Niered
Oct 24, 2008, 04:43 PM
voice chat in this game would lag us all to hell

Yeah, were already seeing a ridiculous push of the DS's hardware here, voice chat would not help this at all.

Also, the argument that drawing takes longer than typing is null. Reason? Once you get used to it, I would expect people to take advantage of symbols, not written text. Symbols can be conveyed in shorthand very quickly, especially if the community becomes strong enough that certain symbols become mass-used.

Kent
Oct 24, 2008, 05:33 PM
Maybe people would be a lot more complacent with the lack of voice chat if they knew how much processing power voice encoding and decoding in real-time takes.

People are used to things like the Xbox 360 (3x 3.2GHz CPU cores) and PCs, which can do this in real time with no problems, and have basically no impact on anything else they're doing... People often forget, however, the sheer abundance of CPU power these things have over the DS.

To put things into perspective... The DS has two CPUs. A 67MHz one and a 33MHz one. In order for real-time voice encoding and decoding to take place, it's safe to assume that at least one of these CPUs has to be bored off its ass in order to even try. Clearly, this is not going to be happening with 3D games any time soon, simply due to the fact that the faster of the two will be, more or less, serving as the system's GPU and processing all of its graphics.

And 3D graphics are a ton of math calculations.

There's no argument that having voice chat as an option would be bad, and I hope nobody here is daft enough to think it would be bad. However, it's simply not plausible to do with the hardware as it is, and the graphical prowess being shown in a game as such.

Nitro Vordex
Oct 25, 2008, 12:44 AM
Voice chat on a DS sucks horribly.

Kent
Oct 25, 2008, 01:36 AM
Voice chat on a DS sucks horribly.
I don't know about that - it works pretty well in Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and in the lobby in Metroid Prime: Hunters.

The only problems come in when you're in public areas, where there's a lot of background noise... But that's kind of a problem with any sort of voice chat.

Dragwind
Oct 25, 2008, 06:23 AM
I would assume if it were to be implemented, it would be in some sort of lobby or maybe private chat function. Most likely not during gameplay (as silly as that sounds).

VR-Raiden
Oct 25, 2008, 11:31 AM
The only problems come in when you're in public areas, where there's a lot of background noise... But that's kind of a problem with any sort of voice chat.
Yes, this is the sole reason I prefer text chat over voice chat. I don't feel like broadcasting my conversations to the world or other people in the room :/

furrypaws
Oct 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
Either way, both are much faster than trying to use the precision nessecary to hit the tiny letter keys on the DS bottom screen. I'm happy with stylus chat. I don't need to have the sound on to figure out what's going on with my team.

Seority
Oct 25, 2008, 12:14 PM
For me it goes like:
Hmm, I just bought this nifty DS to play when I'm out and about.
Oh, I have a docters appointment. I'll take my DS along and play PSŲ.
(In the waiting lobby.)
With voice: "OMG! The noob got the rare AGAIN! Fuuuuc-!" Many adults and children stare at you.
With stylus: *Creates angry scribbles and sighs*

Sum up: When I'm in public places, I'd like to stay quiet concidering other people there. At home is where yell and complain about things =)

((These events are not real and were only used as in example of what might happen in different situations. I believe PSŲ will be too much fun to complain about much of it. =) <3 ))

jmanx
Oct 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
Dude why not just have both like Metroid prime. Give people the options if they want voice on and have it originally off.

Hmmmm isn't ps0 going to have a DS keyboard or something as well?

But anyways! THAT IS A AWESOME WAY TO DO IT :P

Percival
Oct 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm trying to find a good enough 100% sized screenshot of a PSŲ pictochat window so I can know exactly how many pixels we have to work with. I could draw myself some icons ahead of time.

Test:
http://homepage.mac.com/srobert/.Pictures/WepPicPosts/Test.png