PDA

View Full Version : I get it... vote...

Dek
Nov 4, 2008, 02:50 AM
Don't worry folks...

Really... don't...

Yes! You heard me correctly! I was going to vote in the first place.

Ya know what that means?

...no?

It means I don't need the following...

7 Facebook invitations to groups dedicated for voting in this year's election
12 Facebook updates from friends saying to go vote
5 of those friends, in Facebook chat, telling me to go vote
3 giant posters in the dormitory saying "GO VOTE!"
4 people telling me who to vote for upon going to/from class for two weeks.
2 of those fuckers following me TO CLASS (waiting for the crosswalk signal became a bitch)
3 news stations telling us to go vote upon signing off for the night
5 people explaining to me how to vote

and last but not least...

The white board in our hall saying "FOR GOD SAKE, VOTE!"

...Now I do understand that in certain cases, such as the nightly news one, it's in the script, so the anchormen are required to say it.

The other stuff, however, is overkill. I didn't know some of my friends were so... adamant about voting until now. Shit, they never showed much interest for politics until... well... now =/

I don't need to see or hear something about voting every time I blink. I don't need the dormitories or any room saying something about voting upon entering said location.

And I sure as hell don't need to have 5 different people explaining how to fucking vote. At the age of 19, I had to vote for some county/village-related positions. The voting process is the same from before. I don't need to treated like I'm a retard fucking a doorknob when it comes to voting, especially after explaining to each of the 5 people that I've voted using similar forms before...

...only to be ignored...
...and they then continue their tutorial on how to vote...

And of course, I don't need people explaining to me which candidate to vote for, as I, as a 21 year old student, believe I am old enough to make that decision for myself, especially after doing research, from watching all news channels, reading any article I could find, etc.

So for the love of god...
1. Stop thinking that I don't plan to vote.
2. Stop thinking that I'm not prepared just because I currently living in a different county than the one where I was registered. I have a fucking Absentee ballot for a reason.
3. Stop telling me who to vote for.

KaFKa
Nov 4, 2008, 05:40 AM
Its that time again, and everyone that had no purpose in their life have now found it, and feel like sharing it with everyone.

Politics is an infectious disease worse than most viral outbreaks. Next time one of those chuckleheads tries to talk about voting, stop them and then calmly explain you dont give two flying fucks for a snowball's chance in hell for what they have to say on the subject. Watch the emotional collapse unfold right there in front of you. Dont forget the popcorn!

Outrider
Nov 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
Its that time again, and everyone that had no purpose in their life have now found it, and feel like sharing it with everyone.

Politics is an infectious disease worse than most viral outbreaks. Next time one of those chuckleheads tries to talk about voting, stop them and then calmly explain you dont give two flying fucks for a snowball's chance in hell for what they have to say on the subject. Watch the emotional collapse unfold right there in front of you. Dont forget the popcorn!

Kafka, I've been meaning to send you the memo and I'm really sorry I dropped the ball on this, but you should probably know that people aren't made of tissue paper anymore. I know, it's crazy. I was really shocked. What kind of world do we live in nowadays, anyway?

Dek - the vast majority of those things weren't targeted to you as an individual anyway, so I don't really see why you should assume they involved personal interest in your life. Election day tends to be a big event for a lot of people and just like other big events (Holidays, major sporting events, etc), it's going to be on people's minds. They want to make sure that the people who have not done their research and have not even considered voting - the people unlike you - know what's going on. It's unfortunate that few people have as much advance knowledge as you, and it would be wonderful if these constant reminders weren't necessary or expected, but that's the way it is.

Kylie
Nov 4, 2008, 12:49 PM
Some people are excited that they have the right to vote, and they want to share that excitement. Sure, it's annoying in bulk, but I don't think each individual means anything but good by encouraging you to exercise your right.

CelestialBlade
Nov 4, 2008, 12:54 PM
Definitely agree with Kylie, but I admit I get a little bothered by it too. My only real problem with it are the people that want to condemn people that choose not to vote. Some people have good reasons for that.