PDA

View Full Version : Chain system and MAG details

EspioKaos
Nov 6, 2008, 02:28 PM
http://www.g-heaven.net/pso/topics/081106f.html

Shougai PSO posted some new PS0 information from the latest issue of Famitsu.

Battle system - chain combo
* Chain combos are pulled off with the cooperation of your party members.
* When you meet the requirements of a chain, "# chain" will appear on screen (where the pound sign is replaced by the appropriate numeral).
* The power of photon arts and charged techniques increases with chain combos.
* Here is how the system works:
-- 1. Pull off a successful three-hit combo. Each hit must deal at least one point of damage. Also, NPCs count in this system.
-- 2. A different member of the party then must do the same within a set period of time.
-- 3. Repeat step 2 with a third party member.
-- 4. Repeat step 2 with a fourth party member.
-- 5. To continue to build chains, repeat the entire process with the party.
* It is unknown how multi-hit three-hit combos will be handled (i.e. if they will count as a single chain, or multiple chains in one).

Battle system - battle commands
* In story mode, you can issue battle commands to NPCs.
* Battle commands include "attack shift," "heal order" and "free order."
* Commands are issued to NPCs using special speech bubbles. You can customize these.
* NPCs can respond to your commands with their own speech bubbles.

MAGs - photon blast
* MAGs become capable of using photon blasts as they grow.
* Just like in PSO, a photon blast is activated through the use of a full PB gauge.
* There will be various PBs, just like in PSO.
* "Parsifal" is an attack-type PB. (With a little research, I found out that the name of this one matches up with an opera from the 1880s, but it could be coincidental.)
* "Midgar" is a support-type PB which buffs the party.
* Just like in PSO, you can chain photon blasts.

MAGs - raising
* You raise your MAG by feeding it, just like in PSO.
* Unlike PSO, pretty much any item can be used as food for your MAG in Zero.
* Your MAG will change in appearance and personality as it levels up.

Percival
Nov 6, 2008, 03:10 PM
"Parsifal" is an attack-type PB. (With a little research, I found out that the name of this one matches up with an opera from the 1880s, but it could be coincidental.)

I think Parsifal/Parzival is the German spelling of the name Perceval (Knight of the Holy Grail).

My account name and PSO main character's name is also an alternative spelling of Percival. I chose the spelling to play as Skyly rather than Yellowboze in PSO.

Good finds.

Dodging/Blocking + Combos will make for an action packed Phantasy Star game.

I hope we can raise multiple mags.

SubstanceD
Nov 6, 2008, 04:25 PM
I like the idea of being able to issue battle comands to NPC's ( spread out and attack, focus on 1 enemy, please Heal Me ) but it could end up being very fiddly. I presume we will be using the touch screen to issue these comands since we will need to do them on the fly.

I would like a little bit more info on Mag rasing before I make up my mind on it. I loved Mags in PSO and missed them in PSU ( glad we sought of got them back in AOI ) but I feel obligated to point out that I personally felt that Mag rasing was a pain in the ass. Sure it was rewarding at the end when you finally rasied the Mag you wanted.

Back in PSO I used to raise Rati and Sato Mags. For me, raising a Rati Mag always meant transfering my Mag from whatever character I was using to HUmar or a HUcast with SKYLY section ID and making sure def + pow = dex + mind. Rasing a Sato Mag meant tarnfering my Mag from my default character to a FOmarl or a FOnewearl with a REDRIA section ID and making sure def + dex = pow + mind. I really hope Sega is going to simplify this shit. It's one going through all this shit in a home console game but they really need to simplify Mag raising for Phantasy Star Zero. The whole entire point of a poratble game is that it should be easy to pick on and play just like that. I don't mind playing PSO with a whole bunch Mag rasing guides ( that I printed from psoworld ) beside me to remind me what I am supposed to do to get the Mag I want but it isn't practicle for Phantasy Star Zero.

Moving away from my rant ( sorry ), I am intrigued by the idea that we can nw feed Mags almost everything. Maybe Mag evolution in Phantasy Star Zero will have more in common with a PM in PSU. It sure beats having to feed your Mag monomates to increase the stat you want only to find that the general store is no longer selling monomates ( and I am back to my PSO Mag feeding rant ).

Niered
Nov 6, 2008, 06:29 PM
No word on if MAG's up your stats? I guess it can simply be assumed that that is the case.

The chain system sounds awesome, I can see it lending some major strategy to the game, especially boss fights.