PDA

View Full Version : My leg?

McLaughlin
Nov 17, 2008, 09:32 PM
No, not that leg.

My left leg. I can't really bend it now. It's been getting worse all day, and now, sitting at my computer, I can't get it to bend back so I can stand up, because I had my foot up on part of my desk. It feels kind of like my knee locked up, but I can't feel much of anything below my knee, so I'm not sure what's going on. There's no swelling or discolouration.

I mean, right now I think it's pretty funny, but I'm sure sooner or later the novelty will wear off and it'll be a problem.

Thoughts?

CelestialBlade
Nov 17, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sounds like a pinched nerve or some such. Should wear out on its own, try to walk around and work it out through walking/stretching if you can.

thunder-ray
Nov 17, 2008, 11:42 PM
I recently had that problem Expect I woke up one morning and couldnt bend the damn thing >_<. Id do what Typheros said and walk it off.

McLaughlin
Nov 17, 2008, 11:47 PM
Well, "walking it off" right now would be like trying to do so with a 2x4 strapped to your leg.

That said, I did try to walk around, but I smashed my foot off one of the stairs and didn't feel a thing.

Sidney
Nov 17, 2008, 11:56 PM
Pinched nerve, maybe Deep Vein Thrombosis? If it persists for more than a few days, go see your doctor. Don't delay like I did! I put off seeing a doctor for my widespread joint pain/arthritis for about 3 months and let it get much worse than it needed to be. I said, "Oh, I'm sure it's nothing, it'll probably go away!" but it ended up being something pretty serious and much more complex than it seemed.

Not saying that to scare you, but don't be like me! :) You never want to take that chance. If it keeps bothering you, see a doctor ASAP!

McLaughlin
Nov 18, 2008, 12:01 AM
My mom hates taking me to the doctor. Dunno why. I'm there every month for an allergy shot.

I've had a lot of joint issues (and problems in general). My mom tends not to be fussy about that stuff because my Oma has MS, so she knows it can get pretty bad.

CelestialBlade
Nov 18, 2008, 12:09 AM
If you've a history of joint issues, a pinched nerve or a vein/artery block of some sort would not surprise me. Again, see what it feels like tomorrow, and if it's not improving, you're simply going to have to see a doctor. As Sou said, even though those issues often work themselves out, you really don't want to leave it there if it doesn't. That numbness is your first sign, and if it's a vein issue, you really don't want to deprive your lower leg and foot of blood for any amount of time. Make your judgment tomorrow, and I hope it improves.

Kent
Nov 18, 2008, 12:28 AM
As a general rule, when something potentially serious happens, the correct response is something along the lines of: Doctor. Now.

McLaughlin
Nov 18, 2008, 12:38 AM
Ah, Kent. There are two things preventing such a course of action.

A) No one's around to take me.
B) With my doctor (pretty sure there's an agreement like this for all doctors in Ontario), there's a signed agreement (that I signed willingly) saying that I won't go to a clinic, and instead I'd go to whoever is "on call" at my doctor's office. If I go to a clinic instead, the cost is deducted from my doctor's salary. I really like my doctor, so I can just wait it out. At least, I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.

I'm there a lot as is, and I'd rather not pull the fire alarm until I at least sleep on it.

Sidney
Nov 18, 2008, 12:44 AM
You have a grandma with MS? And you've had a history of joint issues? That set off a red light in my head, because as I'm sure you know very well, numbness is usually one of the initial onset systems of MS. Definitely get it checked out! I don't know if MS is genetic like some other auto-immune diseases are, and this might be grasping at straws, but better safe than sorry.

My joint pains ended up being from a form of auto-immune disease. If I would have gone sooner to the doctor, I could have spared my liver some of the horrible damage it undertook while my issue went untreated. Please don't make the same mistake. :( It could be very minor or something potentially serious, so you should find out. I know your mom probably doesn't like the doctor, but that's if it persists, you need a sound medical opinion. This is definitely something worth taking to the doctor. Becoming randomly numb is not normal, and with a family history of MS, the best bet is truly to see a physician.

McLaughlin
Nov 18, 2008, 01:23 AM
I've already been tested for Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis (turns out I have Reynauds phenomenon, which is better than the alternatives, but Lupus isn't out yet). I can't remember if they tested for MS or not.

Either way, the feeling has been coming and going for the last hour, so I think it might be getting better. Now I think I might have broke a toe though. >_>

Sidney
Nov 18, 2008, 02:01 AM
Ah, I have a form of Lupus and Hypermobility Syndrome... and Raynauds, too, actually! Raynauds is really common in people with AI diseases. (With the cold months coming in, we have to be sure to cover up our fingers and toes!) As for Lupus, I really hope you don't have it - Lupus sucks! :lol: It can take a long time to diagnose. It's hard to pin down, as there is not one specific test for it. I believe you have to have 9 out of 11 clinical features or something to be officially diagnosed. If you need more information on Lupus, feel free to PM me! I have a lot of good articles on it and some other great resources. And of course, my own personal experience with it!

But I'm glad the numbness is getting better! If you keep on having numbness or loss of sensation, definitely go to your doctor and ask for a referral to a neurologist or for some diagnostic testing. To test for MS, I believe you do a combination of physical tests plus a CAT scan to search for the lesions on the CNS. But whatever it is, I really hope you can get to the bottom of all your joint issues and other general health problems. I've been there done that, and I know how much it sucks. *hug*

NPCMook
Nov 18, 2008, 03:25 AM
I used to have Ankle pain, but this would only occur when I woke up, it eventually went away after I walked around a bit, but recently the Arch of my left foot has been hurting in the morning.

I usually only lose feeling in my leg from sitting on it, and then when I get up and walking on it, can't feel it just gotta hope its there and working.

Kylie
Nov 18, 2008, 01:02 PM
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. :( Having your mobility limited by some sort of injury or circumstance always sucks, and I hope you have a speedy recovery. I also know a few people with MS, so I hope that's not what you have. It can be pretty devastating... *kidnaps you and takes you to see a doctor*

SabZero
Nov 18, 2008, 02:15 PM
Chiropractor? Although they are considered "alternative" medicine 'round these parts, they know their way around bone and joint issues.

Oh, and you can call your docs office then. If they tell you to take <painkiller>, look for a new "regular" doctor. Just my 0.02EUR

McLaughlin
Nov 18, 2008, 02:22 PM
This morning I was able to bend it enough to not look mentally retarded while walking, so it's (slowly) getting better, I guess. It's still a bit awkward, but it's better than yesterday.

And yes, Raynauds is a huge pain in the ass. I can't be anywhere "cold" for longer than five minutes or my fingers turn into German sausages. I've got Secondary Raynauds, which is a sign of Lupus, and several other auto-immune disorders. I have several other symptoms of Lupus as well, but as you say, it can take a long time to diagnose. At least my doctor knows it's a possibility now, and can keep an eye on it.

Solstis
Nov 18, 2008, 11:41 PM
I have recurring knee injuries (both knees), which sometimes leave me incapable of anything but an awkward shuffle, but numbness? No, haven't experienced that before.

I would post more, but my hypochondria is kicking in from all this talk of lupus and whatnot. :(

McLaughlin
Nov 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
I've got stand-alone (Haha! See? A pun!) knee issues (caused by my rapid growth spurts and some sports accidents).

I'm just a walking catastrophe. >_>

Midicronica
Nov 19, 2008, 12:09 AM
I would make a joke you and walking catastrophes but I don't think this is the place to do it. (I'll get you on Xbox Live.) You were complaining about your knee a week ago and now your entire leg. I'd seriously take these guys advice and go see your doctor.

UnderscoreX
Nov 19, 2008, 01:12 AM
Sounds like something a friend on my team had, turned out to just be some nerve damage and after a few days of resting it he was perfectly fine. He however, unlike you, didn't have a medical record the size of a dictionary, so maybe you should still check it out even if it is getting better. He said he had really bad pins and needles sensation every now and then though, so if you don't then maybe it's not that.

Sidney
Nov 19, 2008, 02:47 AM
Chiropractor? Although they are considered "alternative" medicine 'round these parts, they know their way around bone and joint issues.

Oh, and you can call your docs office then. If they tell you to take <painkiller>, look for a new "regular" doctor. Just my 0.02EUR

A rheumatologist would be better. :) They specialize in auto-immune and joint diseases. I see a rheumatologist for all my issues.

But keep us all posted, Obsidian. You'll definitely be kept in my thoughts! The undiagnosed - "pin cushion" phase, as I call it, thanks to all the blood work - is the worst part. It's kind of cool though; I didn't know there were other "lupies" on PSOW. :lol: There is a really good forum I go to for people with "invisible illnesses", like Lupus, RA, MS, Fibromyalgia, etc. It's located here (http://butyoudontlooksick.com). It's a great place to go for information, ask questions, or simply just vent. The members there are really knowledgeable. It's also good for the undiagnosed; I know it helped me a lot when I was still in that phase.

McLaughlin
Nov 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
Since you all were so worried, I just thought I'd report in. Almost a full range of motion back in my knee, I can bend it further, but it hurts to do so. It's almost back to normal.

Thanks for the link Soubrette. When I get some free time I'll have to check it out.

And I broke the toe beside my big toe when I smashed it off the stairs. >_>

CelestialBlade
Nov 20, 2008, 11:26 PM
Glad it's slowly getting better, but that slowly part is raising a few alarms in my head. Just something to keep an eye on, but I think you know that by now.