PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the weapon designs

Shinko
Dec 1, 2008, 08:20 PM
Ok I just want to know what’s yall thoughts on the weapon designs in psu.

I’m mean me myself, I could on and on about the same weapons from pso, new weapons with different name but same design as an old one, same weapon with a + sign. But it’ll turn into a rant and that’s not what I really want. I just want to know what you guys think.

What are the good and bad things you like about the weapon designs?
And tell me why you like or dislike a certain weapon design or them all in general.

(P.S) I do like the magical wand (its cute) and all the Kanata weapons (it looks badass)

Tetsaru
Dec 1, 2008, 08:41 PM
Given that there ARE some cool-looking weapons in PSU (Degahna Cannon, Shigga Desta, Carriguine-Rucar come to mind), a large number of them are just reskins, reskins, reskins. From a design point of view, I despise the Kubara "clone" weapons, although some of them are worth using... but why couldn't Segac just implement the same stats and just make an entirely new weapon?? I think that'd be a lot more appealing.

And yes, I'd like to see more old PSO weapons, WITH ANIMATIONS. I hate that the Psycho Wand doesn't fold up anymore. That, and seeing old rares like Durandal and Stag Cutlery being misspelled in translation and turned into B ranks is rather demoralizing, imo...

Phetty
Dec 1, 2008, 08:52 PM
There are some rather good looking weapons, but most of them really suck as for looks.
The ones that pop into mind are Mugunruk, Carriguine Rucar, and Grand Crosses. Creasabra is another one I rather like and used for awhile. I think if PSU had more good looking weapons to hunt I'd play it still.

tadtwisted
Dec 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
I hate to say it but stop living in the past PSO is done and gone, if you like playing with the old PSO weapons, then play PSO. Sure its nice to have some of the old stuff show up but none of them should be s-ranks, remember in the story PSO happened a long time ago so why should weapons from the past be stronger than the ones from the future? If the p-wand wasnt the strongest i would have one just to have one but i wouldnt use it. The only problem i have is some of the b-ranks are way cooler than the some s-ranks (one off the top of my head is a pair of b-rank double guns (Ryo-Bimtore) look awsome but we get twin tornado's, i think the higher in rank you go the crazier they should look

ashley50
Dec 1, 2008, 09:20 PM
I hate to say it but stop living in the past PSO is done and gone, if you like playing with the old PSO weapons, then play PSO.

This...:)

Shinko
Dec 1, 2008, 09:31 PM
Given that there ARE some cool-looking weapons in PSU (Degahna Cannon, Shigga Desta, Carriguine-Rucar come to mind), a large number of them are just reskins, reskins, reskins. From a design point of view, I despise the Kubara "clone" weapons, although some of them are worth using... but why couldn't Segac just implement the same stats and just make an entirely new weapon?? I think that'd be a lot more appealing.

Yes i agree with this. there are SOME good looking weapons but there alot of reskins

I hate to say it but stop living in the past PSO is done and gone, if you like playing with the old PSO weapons, then play PSO. Sure its nice to have some of the old stuff show up but none of them should be s-ranks, remember in the story PSO happened a long time ago so why should weapons from the past be stronger than the ones from the future? If the p-wand wasnt the strongest i would have one just to have one but i wouldnt use it. The only problem i have is some of the b-ranks are way cooler than the some s-ranks (one off the top of my head is a pair of b-rank double guns (Ryo-Bimtore) look awsome but we get twin tornado's, i think the higher in rank you go the crazier they should look

Mm.. i think u misunderstood me. Thats one of the things i dislike. the use of the same weapons from pso.

BFGfreak
Dec 1, 2008, 09:31 PM
Honestly, I liked the C-B ranked GRM Dagger design, A rank GRM saber, Double Agito, C-B GRM rifle, Rattlesnac, shigga barec, psycho wand, and shigga desta in terms of looks, but then again, I'm not one for big flashy weapons, just ones that look like they get the job done.

Oh, and about weapon reskins, even WoW does that (seriously, I looked at the robe shop in Stormwind, and all the robes used the exact same model, just a diferant pattern) Now granted, I think sega is taking it to far as far as monsters go, but with weapons, it doesn't really bother me (for all I care, that weapon was grinded to 10/10 when the guy before me died, and I get to grind it again)

Alnet
Dec 1, 2008, 09:50 PM
What I like about the weapon designs is that they're all different enough to tell them apart by manufacturer. Hanzo and Soda Hazzo are both 7* Swords, but they both look remarkably different. Also, even though most of the Kubara copies are rather pointless, some of them do look pretty amazing (the 6* Yohmei-Kubara shotgun comes to mind).

What I don't like is that even though the weapon models themselves are interesting, they get a bit repetitive. I feel that C-rank weapon models should be different from B-rank weapon models as they are different from A-rank weapon models. Furthermore, I think all of the A-ranks should look different enough to tell them apart, since a lot of the classes cap the majority of weapons at A-rank, and so it would be nice not to see everyone using the same exact model of spear or wand or twin handgun late in the game. If they all looked a bit different, I'm sure we'd be seeing more people using different-rank weapons for their looks, since style plays such a big role in this game.

BahnKnakyu
Dec 1, 2008, 10:39 PM
I dislike the Yohmei gun designs. They look like twigs (and I know that was their intention) rather than actual weapons. The GRM guns actually look functional compared to the Yohmei ones.

7* Tenora swords need to deserve mention here. Those things look absolutely VICIOUS. Cresaud (Crea Sword) also looks freakin awesome. Tyrant Spada/Apocalypse looks like He-Man's sword too.

Starrz
Dec 1, 2008, 11:08 PM
The only weapon I truly love the way it looks. Others I just think are cool.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/Starrz87/WeaponPA/PsuIlluminus2008-01-1723-23-39-34.jpg

darkante
Dec 1, 2008, 11:46 PM
I like the B-rank design of Knuckles, Twin Handguns, Rifle (all GRM) alot.
Probably is more, but this i just what i came up with now.

So yesh, depending on what i got i might just go use B-Rank for looks.

Kylie
Dec 2, 2008, 12:09 AM
This is a pretty wide subject...

I don't have much bad to say about the weapons on PSU. There are some nice ones, and I've managed to get a good looking collection. I just wish they'd release more of them to us faster. I first saw some weapons before the expansion, and we still don't have them yet.

unicorn
Dec 2, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm getting tired with all the reskins. Give us new weapons. Some weapons are nice, but I want more variety...

Crea Doubles+ (same as teh 10* one)
Gaozoran Rod+ (10* clone)
Twin Nei Claw+ (9* clone... -_-)
Go Vahra Claw
Flowens Sword+
All Crea+ weapons
XXXX/c weapons
Magical Wand/Onesan's Wand
All Promote weapons
All Stique weapons.

Shinko
Dec 2, 2008, 12:41 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/Starrz87/WeaponPA/PsuIlluminus2008-01-1723-23-39-34.jpg

Yea i like that weapon too. A shame female characters can't use it -_-

I'm getting tired with all the reskins. Give us new weapons. Some weapons are nice, but I want more variety...

Crea Doubles+ (same as teh 10* one)
Gaozoran Rod+ (10* clone)
Twin Nei Claw+ (9* clone... -_-)
Go Vahra Claw
Flowens Sword+
All Crea+ weapons
XXXX/c weapons
Magical Wand/Onesan's Wand
All Promote weapons
All Stique weapons.

Yea you understand how i feel. This is a perfect list of un-needed weapon reskins

Syl
Dec 2, 2008, 01:15 AM
Gaozoran Rod was my favorite weapon of them all (along with Hyper Viper). Some were extremely underwhelming, or just plain OMGWTFLOL retarded looking. Oh and Raikasobras look hawt, but their stats... >_>

Xefi
Dec 2, 2008, 02:45 AM
To OP: i'm fond of katanas too like Agito Repca,
and Sange & Yasha. The design doesn't have
to be too creative; i'm fine with genetic weapons.
Sometime, the normal-looking weapons can be
very beautiful as they are. And also, Psycho
wand looks nice too, even though not many
like the design. :E

Kazemi
Dec 2, 2008, 02:57 AM
nothing wrong with reusing good designs. considering how long it can take to design a weapon or really anything its quite understandable.

PSO weapons? i dont mind the nicer looking ones. nogstalgia is good as long as it doesnt get out of control. many people seem to like it because its not exactly the same as it was in PSO. in such cases you tell the person to return to PSO :P

plus weapons? whats wrong with that? take a weapon with a nice design and make it stronger. also gives the more hard core players something to go for while keeping good weapons from being too hard to get for those with lives.

reskins? same as above really. promote weapons are nice if you like you the a rank model and none of the s rank ones.

all in all it helps to provide some variety to things. dont like them being "lazy" then dont use them. might as well take some classes in CAD design while youre at it to appreciate the hard work it takes to design them.

Starrz
Dec 2, 2008, 11:35 AM
Gaozoran Rod was my favorite weapon of them allI quite like Gaozoran Rod too.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d27/Starrz87/psu20080609_045610_001.jpg

Shinko
Dec 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
plus weapons? whats wrong with that? take a weapon with a nice design and make it stronger. also gives the more hard core players something to go for while keeping good weapons from being too hard to get for those with lives.

Mm... you have a point there. I never thought of it like that. ... I guess there ok then but why so many. They should only do a few of them or just not so many. Some weapons should just be exclusive though, no plus no reskins. At least thats how i feel.

CelestialBlade
Dec 2, 2008, 01:54 PM
I like the variety of weapons designs in PSU, specifically relating to the different touches each weapon manufacturer gives to their weapons. You see a more classic style with GRM, a flowery, exotic style with Yohmei, and a utilitarian, primitive style with Tenora. I think it's really awesome how they've kept that consistent throughout.

PSU could use MORE weapons, sure, but in terms of variety, it's one of my favorite aspects of the game.

Seority
Dec 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
All melee weapons are flat while guns are the only slightly built things in PSU.
No matter how cool a melee weap is, it kills your joy when you turn it just so so it looks like a paper cut out. Guess that's why I've takin more intrest in ranged classes lately. That is the definte difference between PSO and PSU weapons to me.

DreXxiN
Dec 2, 2008, 02:45 PM
I think it's really funny how stereotypically the special touches of the producer's are. :P

Tenora = Barbaric (No, not kubara, like; rather of or relating to a Barbarian) = Underclassed underveloped weaponry

GRM = Just look at those rifles and other guns...just "LOL TYPICAL ROBOT GUN" weps..

And Yohmei, as much as I like the designs it's like a merged, messy baby between LOLELVES, FINAL FANTASIES, and something I'll generally look gay with on my main DreXxiN...

Which is fine, considering he is quite the hot metrosexual.

Mag_Launcher
Dec 2, 2008, 03:43 PM
I happen to like sleek or slightly rigid designs, so mostly GRM and Tenora (to an extent.) I'm a bit of a gun nut in real life, so naturally I love the more tame/realistic-ish designs than the ORNAMENTS EVERYWHERE look that most Yohmei stuff has. (PSO's Yasminkov/Rianov series > all. Except you, Yas 3000R, nobody likes you.)

Tenora's guns are fracking awesome, like the B-rank handguns and mechguns, and all their shotguns up until Shigga "IMMA FIRIN' MAH PORCUPINE/LASER LIGHT SHOW" Pakuda. The S-rank crossbows are nice, too, except Cubo "OH GOD MY EYES" Simba. Not all of it I like, though, like the A-rank handguns and mechs. Sure, they SOUND awesome, but they were just too radically different, the handguns were rifle sized and looked like they even had a collapsible rifle stock on them (Still kinda cool, though, but I was expecting something like the Varista, personally.), whereas the new mechgun was this prickly wheel thing.

On the GRM side, there's Rattlesnake and Love Inferno, which by the way IS a cool looking gun... if it, you know, wasn't covered in that garish red and all those hearts... I also have a strange attraction to the Meteor Cannon. Other than that, it's the handguns (Except Storm/Twin Tornado, ugh.), the rifles, the the A-rank and up mechs that do it for me.

Aaaaand I'm ending this wall of text.

thematesV2
Dec 2, 2008, 04:35 PM
I enjoy the fact that they broke up the weaps into the three main categories. I just wish every weapon (besides the higher ranked) didn't have it's 2 clones by another company. a few should do this, to make the game feel more social.... but by giving every type of player (melee, ranged and force) the option of every weap... they made all weapons generic, in my opinion.. plus, as I've complained about before, most weapons above the base A rank should have animations and effects, those effects getting more intense the higher the weapon.

and I agree with Mag_launcher.... the yohmei guns needed to start out boring, like everything else, and only get really ornamental when they are really powerful.

the devisions make sense though. I don't have issue with the different brands idea.. I still feel like the weapons look too cool at the lower levels, and don't look cool enough at the higher levels.

thematesV2
Dec 2, 2008, 04:38 PM
--drexxin, I don't know if I would call tenora weapons underclassed, or barbaric, but rather boasting of strength and aggression.

but to each his own..

Shinko
Dec 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
I've complained about before, most weapons above the base A rank should have animations and effects, those effects getting more intense the higher the weapon.

I still feel like the weapons look too cool at the lower levels, and don't look cool enough at the higher levels.

I agree with this. Animations and effects is what make RARE weapons stand out and look specail. Though all of them should have them but a lil bit more could.

Also I agree with the more cool looking lower ranks weapons than higher ones.

Erkthemerc
Dec 2, 2008, 07:53 PM
What I think would be cool is a rod that was just a staff of wood, maybe with some glowy spirals on it, so i can walk around with my techer and not see a ball the size of my head on the end of a rod... I think that they should come out with some bare basic weps too lie the sange, now thats a cool wep.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Dec 3, 2008, 04:34 AM
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/bombahead2k6/psu20080116_233727_048.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
I'm with him on this one.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/bombahead2k6/PSU%20Stuff/psu20080905_052213_001.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]
Also, this.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/bombahead2k6/PSU%20Stuff/psu20080816_030208_007.jpg I think you get the point here.[/SPOILER-BOX]

Anyway. Yeah. I don't like the Reskined weapons at all. The Kubara knockoffs are fine, for obvious reasons. (Gudda Hon being Beast only, Halarod being Newman only.. Some weapons being one particular element. It goes on)
But come on. "+" Weapons? Fail. And what's worse is you can't synth them, you'd probably have to trade the weapon you hauled ass for, only to get an upgraded version of the weapon, which can possibly turn out to be a Low % No grind PoS.
And as for the PSO weapons being B and A ranks... LOL, are you serious? They should have made them S ranks and called it a day.

Lumirei
Dec 3, 2008, 01:14 PM
I like how most of the weapons look but the reskins are kinda over used XD

ErtaiClou
Dec 3, 2008, 02:59 PM
I feel we could without more of the weapons from previous games. Yeah they're great tributes but what will we remember from PSU besides rucar and kan-yu? Also they shouldn't be so conservative on the guns. Don't be afraid to had an icy fog spilling from the chambers or pulsating contours like the walls in Electronic Brain. Bullets are they only thing they should be considering in making a gun really stand out. I am interested to see some of the gun designs in PSP though.

xTwiztidClown
Dec 3, 2008, 08:36 PM
I think a lot of the weapons look WAY better when there S. The C,B, and A axes arent very cool but the S ones are awesome.

RemiusTA
Dec 3, 2008, 09:55 PM
All of the weapon models in this game are great. I just think the designers had some dumb decisions on allocating rank and strength to them.

Most of the A-rank weapons on this game look far cooler than their S-rank counterparts, and there are some weapons that just look too cool and unique to be so damn weak. (Hello Cresaud)

Kubara knockoffs are useless, and crea weapons are useless. Most S-ranks in the game have no extra effects to set them apart from the normal weapons, thus making them boring to use. (hello huge cutter, hello De Ragan Slayer, hello Svaltus Sword, hello Ragan-Ragan with your ugly Vfx, hello Guild, Millia, and Guild&Milla)

Seriously, they stuck 13*+ weapons in this game, and gave them no visual effects? Special attributes can slide, but not even any Visual effects to boot?

Sinue_v2
Dec 4, 2008, 02:12 AM
Weapon designs look overall rather bland and uninspired - especially considering the breadth of cool weapons in PSO Ep I & II and Blue Burst. Further, an insistence on them being "photonic" means that often a large segment of the texture pallet is simply glowing colors. This bright post-effect glow also tends to draw attention away from whatever design there may be on whatever little bit of the weapon is non-photonic.

Personally, I'd like to see them focus more on non-photonic weaponry with some real inspiration and design behind them. Or at least have the effect largely subdued in the rare or uncommon weapons. Some of the best looking weapons in PSU are the Guns and Wands which are not completely overwhelmed by the obscuring glow.

Ideally, I'd really like to see them by and large return to completely non-photonic weaponry - especially so they can drop the cheeseball photon story element they try to shoehorn them into and return the series to a darker, more western Chutulu styled mythos found in the original games than running with the cheap children's anime angle they've got going now.

KaiNova7
Dec 5, 2008, 04:09 AM
Overall i think the weapon design for S ranks could be much better, wish more weapon types had an animation and/or distinct sound effect (like some do).Maybe the 13* weapons and up will be better.
Not all are bad,but only a couple are really good imo.

Briareos
Dec 7, 2008, 01:58 AM
i have to say my favorite weapon would have to be the Blackbull cuz its just an awesome rifle to look at and use!

thoughts for weapon desgin....make (or barrow) some new guns! i want my phaser rifle from Star Trek and a Caster from Outlaw Star.... i mean is that a little too much to ask for? ^^

unicorn
Dec 7, 2008, 02:15 AM
I think S-rank bows, cards, and crossbows have the best designs and vfx.

Jainsea
Dec 7, 2008, 04:26 PM
Kazarod <3 :D I love you purple hazy windmill of Doom :D

N2TrAnC3
Dec 7, 2008, 05:02 PM
There are a few weapons I want brought back from PSO.

Bringers Rifle (http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/cbringerrifel.jpg) - Still my favorite rifle in the series
The Sigh of a God (http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/GC-THE_SIGH_OF_A_GOD-ACTION-1.jpg) - For any Zonde lovers
Double Cannon (http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/GC-DOUBLE_CANNON-ACTION-1.jpg) - Any Fighgunners wetdream
Lavis Cannon (http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/BB-LAVIS_CANNON-ACTION-2.jpg) - I would finally give up whips with my Acrotecher.

As much as Sega loves to rehash the old, I still have hope.

My biggest complaint with PSU rares is the lack of rares. I remember going weeks if not months in time and not seeing the same thing twice. (before it got all hacked and duped.) I understand this would make the game less accessible to beginners, but I am sure the hardcore would love it. I am almost positive there is not a single drop in PSU that approaches 1/100000 now that the drop rates have been rebalanced. I also liked the Section ID based drops of PSO. I feel it encouraged more community hunting and less soloing.

Pika
Dec 7, 2008, 05:30 PM
ohh, The Sigh of a God, I'd love to see that back as well, would also love to see the Yamigarasu back as well...

anyways, kinda a case by case basis..some weapons are bland, others great, i recently bought some new twin sabers that i love, while many others on the list dont look all that special...

over all, i like the design, theres enough different styles to keep me happy for now.

Finalzone
Dec 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
Mm... you have a point there. I never thought of it like that. ... I guess there ok then but why so many. They should only do a few of them or just not so many. Some weapons should just be exclusive though, no plus no reskins. At least thats how i feel.

"Reskins" (essential textures) is easier than making an entire unique weapons from scratch. Reasons: it takes a lot data to create those uniques model and they easily filled out space thus requiring more than one DVD. For example, a full simulation flying game like FlightGear including textures, world and planes has 3 DVDs. Hope it helps to understand how modeling works.