PDA

View Full Version : Server, or no server. That, is the question.

Dragwind
Dec 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
I've decided to do a bit of looking around, but couldn't seem to find an answer to this question (unless my eyes are dazed after staring at a computer screen for far too long and I missed it)-

Will PSZ/PS0 in fact have it's own game server to connect to, or will it simply use the DS system of peer to peer matchmaking/hosting to play? From my understanding, it won't have a server since we have to use the WiFi "search" for people to play with.

For some people, this could change the game quite a bit.

Also, I'd like to hear everyone's views on how the game would differ if it was indeed run on a server vs. not run on a server.

One thing I'll miss is meeting random people or massive amounts of players in a single lobby if that's not available.

the_importer_
Dec 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
Considering that we haven't heard anything about pricing (the Japanese logo doesn't have a Red Wi-Fi logo, meaning no pay2play), guessing SEGA wouldn't host a server for free, especially since they overcharged for practically nothing server worthy back on DC and GameCube.

My guess is that it will work like in most NDS games where the creator hosts the game and people will connect.

Akaimizu
Dec 2, 2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah. I was thinking it would likely follow Phantasy Star Portable's model (except for supporting full infrastructure play). It's hosted by one player and other players join that host.

To a degree, the model works quite well. Sega doesn't need to run servers. Players have a game that has no server dependancies and thus no worry about online play being shut down, in the future.

Seority
Dec 2, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah. It would be awesome if you could have like a real portable PSO with the servers and such, but I agree with the others here that it won't be held on a server.

Vanzazikon
Dec 3, 2008, 01:05 PM
Like Dragwind said, I'll also miss meeting random people in a lobby if it doesn't run on servers and I'll also miss lobby trolling :disapprove:.

gratefulgriz
Dec 4, 2008, 06:21 PM
I am not sure if the DS is even capable of having server connectivity. i am pretty sure online play is going to be extremeley limited to hosting and local area players only. dont quote me on this, but i think thats how the game is being marketed in japan as something to connect with your friends near your friends as opposed to having a server. All lobbies are probably just going to be filled with your wi fi connected people playing the game in your area and the game you host. i am not sure about this AT ALL but that is what I am assuming connectivity to be like. I wish sega would just scrap online aspect for Zero and just make a classic PS game that would work well on the DS. Not that I dont like PS0 its just a dangerous thing to market when the PS series needs to really come back with a punch. Put online aspect games on the consoles and regular rpgs and srpgs on the portables.

Kent
Dec 4, 2008, 09:01 PM
There's nothing limiting the DS from connecting to a server - in fact, that's what it does in basically every wireless multiplayer game ever, except for the person hosting, who's connecting to a bunch of clients.

It really wouldn't be the same to connect to an external server that isn't someone else's DS. Opting to not use a centralized server for a game like this could be potentially problematic, as there's always the looming problem of the host dropping out of the game, and subsequently/inadvertently booting everyone else out. A peer-to-peer system would probably work best for local area multiplayer, however, it doesn't cost much to host a simple matchmaking server to handle games online.

PSOv1 on the Dreamcast did this, and didn't actually have content updates, but it was completely free (in the US). If there was a loss to be posted from this, it was probably marginal at most.

I do believe it's already been stated, however, that you can play with people all over the world, which again alludes to an online server to interconnect these regions.

ergrhter
Dec 16, 2008, 07:46 AM
Yeah. I was thinking it would likely follow Phantasy Star Portable's model (except for supporting full infrastructure play). It's hosted by one player and other players join that host.

To a degree, the model works quite well. Sega doesn't need to run servers. Players have a game that has no server dependancies and thus no worry about online play being shut down, in the future.

:-?

oh , i think what you said is right , but i play that game in xbox server , and i think it is a wonderful game , and i can get pleasure from it

Mike
Dec 18, 2008, 05:12 AM
The lack of lobbies is unfortunate though, especially when you can spend a good couple of hours mucking about in a lobby instead of actually playing the game.