PDA

View Full Version : Game Suggestion Thread

Outrider
Dec 4, 2008, 07:05 PM
Offer suggestions for games you think us FKL-ites might enjoy. It can be a game you're currently playing, a game you've played in the past, or a game that's come highly recommended from reliable sources. It can be a big-budget pc or console game, a more casual click management affair, a fun flash game, or even a board game.

Please try to keep your recommendations to one game per post. Post a game and a brief summary of why people might like it.

I'll start:

Cave Story.

It's a great Metroidvania-esque game with wonderful 8-bit graphics, action-based gameplay, great music, and a surprisingly well done storyline. What's crazy is that it was made by one man, who refers to himself as Pixel.

It's freeware on PC and Mac, and ported in some form or another onto DS and PSP homebrew. It's being released on WiiWare in the near future, with art redone by the original creator and new music.

You can get it here: http://www.cavestory.org/

Enjoy!

VanHalen
Dec 4, 2008, 09:05 PM
I suggest Bootfighter. A pretty low spec mecha fighting game. It supports up to 8 people in a fight online(as long as each has a good connection). Also there are custom pilots you can download to make fights hilarious(Get Xzibit holy crap!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7R6QL1haZg

Freeware you can download here. http://mirrormoon.org/projects/windom

TalHex
Dec 4, 2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah you saw this one coming :wacko:

Xenosaga EP I-III (ps2) - If you love long cutscenes, climatic mecha battles, and crucified hot android chicks, this is probably the best game for it. The story spans a grand total of 5 disks (1 disk, ep 1, 2 disks ep 2, 2 disks ep 3). The quality of the CG graphics are astounding, the story is first class, and the music is art itself. The low points are the battle system, the growth system, and how linear it is.

The battle system is turn based and can be extremely rewarding if you can learn to master it, unfortunately what should be a quick 5 minute explanation doesn't really do the job. It has more aspects then some mythologies have gods.

The growth system is to say the least frustrating, it almost has too much of a customization value for its own good. In an mmo it would be great but in a standard rpg it can be quite taxing. Once again if you can master how it works it can be extremely rewarding.

This game is extremely linear. In episode 1 there is at most 2 sidequests. One dealing with email and another dealing with opening hidden doors. As for story flow, its a lot like FFX, you can go back but its so linear that its really just too much of a hassle.

Moo2u
Dec 5, 2008, 02:12 AM
Chu Chu Rocket!

...I wish I could play that online again...

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 5, 2008, 05:23 PM
Monopoly - Nintendo Edition, surprisingly sold in of all places JcPenny.

I haven't checked other retail outlets for this version.

Now your kids can have an econoChristmas, still with Nintendo, on the cheap!
(Check Amazon for actual cheap Wiggle Wii Nintendu mind control games, $15 No More Heroes!, grandparents who know how to use the Interweirdwidewebs)

TalHex
Dec 5, 2008, 05:25 PM
Monopoly - Nintendo Edition, surprisingly sold in of all places JcPenny.

I haven't checked other retail outlets for this version.

Now your kids can have an econoChristmas, still with Nintendo, on the cheap!
(Check Amazon for actual cheap Wiggle Wii Nintendu mind control games, $15 No More Heroes!, grandparents who know how to use the Interweirdwidewebs)

actually i saw nintendu monopoly at barn and noble last time i was there (never did find the volume of bleach i was looking for though...)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 5, 2008, 05:37 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the update of other stores that carry it.

Majarra
Dec 5, 2008, 08:11 PM
Conkers bad fur day. N64 classic.

Goldeneye007. N64 classic.

AlexCraig
Dec 5, 2008, 08:42 PM
I can vouche for Tal on that. Saw it there last time I went to B&N.

VanHalen
Dec 7, 2008, 02:30 AM
I've been enjoying Cave Story so far.

Outrider
Dec 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
Here's another:

Killer 7 (GCN, PS2) - One of my favorites. This game is a truly bizarre title that's equal parts David Lynch and Quentin Tarrantino. The story is about 7 assassins out to stop the Heaven's Smiles terrorist group and generally just be incredibly badass.

A lot of people were against this game, mostly due to its highly-stylized (but gorgeous) visuals and the fact that many people went into it expecting an action title. It is NOT an action title. Think of Killer 7 as somewhat of an on-rails adventure game with minimal action gameplay. You run from room to room collecting items and solving puzzles. In between, you'll run into enemies that you fight using a stationary first-person perspective. Movement is indeed on rails, but you select from different paths and go at your own pace - it's the very definition of linear gameplay and movement.

Don't let that keep you from playing it, though. This is easily, easily one of the best titles of the last generation, if not of all time. The characters and story are absolutely amazing, and everything is just tied up in an amazing audio/visual package. Get over your aversions for limited gameplay and you'll find yourself enjoying the puzzle-solving and combat.

This can be found used for under $10 in most places. I've got it for both GCN and PS2 and can vouch for both versions (PS2 has a bit more loading, but it's absolutely playable). The one warning I will offer, though - this game takes mature content a lot more seriously than lots of other games. Characters swear liberally and do horrible, terrible things to each other (not just violence), so uh... you might not want to play it around kids/your parents/your priest/etc.

Enjoy.

Alnet
Dec 8, 2008, 03:54 PM
Nanaca Crash.
http://homepage.mac.com/pockyrevolution/nanaca_crash.html

Enjoy.