PDA

View Full Version : Expectations too high?

Aeternus
Dec 17, 2008, 09:32 AM
So far from everything I have seen and read about PS0, this looks like it's going to be a major rejuvenation of the franchise and a much needed return to the gameplay style of PSO. Everything seems to be in place. Network play, chat, tons of items, nice levels, bosses, great characters, better story presentation etc etc..

but this could also lead to one of the biggest letdowns if some major flaw is revealed after the release.

This kind of happened to me with Tecmo Kickoff.. game looked like it had nearly everything in place. Oldschool gameplay, teams / players edit (wasn't their fault they couldn't get NFL license thanks to EA) online play.... but when the game was out we saw how incredibly sloppy the programming was and its fundamental flaws in even the simplest of things such as menu system and statistic tracking. Player editing was a mess as was the presentation. The gameplay was still there, but it was not enough to convert most people that were still playing the old NES rom 17 years ago (or better yet, the new modified 32 team version with updated stats, teams etc) It was just a total miss.

Anyway, i'm not saying that PS0 is going to be like that.. I still think it's going to be a major hit and a great and welcome edition to the franchise, but I still have to be a LITTLE pessimistic that we are still putting the expectations a little too high perhaps. It is DS afterall... we shall see.. I still cannot help but to feel the excitement until this is finally released!

raikomaru40
Dec 17, 2008, 10:03 AM
Nah,_but_it_may_lag_a_little_from_being_too_awesom e/

Epically Leet
Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 AM
''It is the DS afterall...''

Exactly. It can't go wrong.

cApNhOwDy
Dec 17, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think we've seen enough gameplay to conclude that it wont be a letdown. With PSU, I had no clue what the gameplay would be like, but if I had seen in in advance I would have rented it before I bought it.

Aeternus
Dec 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
''It is the DS afterall...''

Exactly. It can't go wrong.

Ha, well I didn't quite mean it like that. DS is actually one of my favorite game systems.. I just meant the technical limitations that it does have comparatively to past versions of the game.

I also remember being quite excited about PSU.. went out and bought a PS2 LAN adapter, brand new wireless keyboard.. etc.. and then played it for 2 months and gave up in frustration. I can't think of a better letdown than that pile of crap sega released.

Thankfully you're right, from everything we have seen thus far, we don't have to be too worried.. and i'm thankful for that.

Dragwind
Dec 17, 2008, 11:20 AM
I agree with you, Aeternus. It happens too often where gamers will set their expectations for a game too high. When the game is released, whatever vision they had in their imaginations didn't match, and yeah, disappointment.

I'm honestly really looking forward to the game. I'm really excited to see what it's going to be like, and how it's going to take off.

However, I try to not let myself think too much about the game, or get too excited over it.

Reginaldo
Dec 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
If the PSU board is any indication then there will most likely be some people complaining quite a bit upon this game's release.

At least it'll just be confined to the same small group of people though.

Gemel
Dec 17, 2008, 05:46 PM
I've been worrying about that too and I try not to get my hopes up to much but it's to hard not to because of how awesome it looks y.y

Things I'm already expecting is lag and AR, gameshark users but to me that shouldn't be enough to kill it completely at the start.

DeathMachine
Dec 17, 2008, 06:11 PM
I usually don't let my hopes get too high for any game for just that reason. That way, if the game only meets my expectations (quite low at that point) it's not such a downer. I made that 'high expectation' mistake with PSU, and am about to do it again with PS0 :D

In all honesty, I have had a skeptical look at the fighting system, because the mechanics look quite similar to PSU's. Of course they're trying to fix those mistakes, but I wonder how many they deemed "mistakes." [/rant][/pessimism]

the_importer_
Dec 17, 2008, 09:54 PM
After PSU, I don't see how they can cock this up even more.

DeathMachine
Dec 17, 2008, 10:36 PM
You idiot! Don't say that!!

PS0 is the worst game in history!!

Thanks alot. I hope you're proud of yourself...

unicorn
Dec 18, 2008, 02:39 AM
I'm never getting my expectations high for a Sega game (AGAIN). I have expectations, just not high ones.

Vanzazikon
Dec 18, 2008, 02:54 AM
I stand by from what I said here:
I wouldn't want to say anything that I would end up eating later on. Indeed, it has promise, yet there are other questions still not answered. I wouldn't say completed for me, but it does meet the requirements for me to give it a big fat
YES!!!

Why? Because I'm to lazy to make a new post. :razz:

Epically Leet
Dec 18, 2008, 05:19 AM
Ha, well I didn't quite mean it like that. DS is actually one of my favorite game systems.. I just meant the technical limitations that it does have comparatively to past versions of the game.

I also remember being quite excited about PSU.. went out and bought a PS2 LAN adapter, brand new wireless keyboard.. etc.. and then played it for 2 months and gave up in frustration. I can't think of a better letdown than that pile of crap sega released.

Thankfully you're right, from everything we have seen thus far, we don't have to be too worried.. and i'm thankful for that.

;)

Yeah, I see what you're getting at here, and I do understand you.

And yeah, we don't have to be too worried. :]

Thalui89
Dec 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
It looks not bad imo, im not expecting it to be ground breaking tbh but im sure it'll be pretty fun to play.