PDA

View Full Version : 360 or PC?

Ramadonis
Dec 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
Okay, I got the massive urge to get back into this, again. However, somethings have changed since I have last played. Within that time, I have purchased a Xbox 360 and have been gaming heavily on it. I recently downloaded the PSU demo just for the heck of it and was very impressed at the constant high framerate and quality of the graphics.

I have played PSU in ths past but it was on my PC. I can run PSU at medium settings and only have to suffer from slight lag spikes. Set it on High and it's like I'm stuck in the Matrix....constant slowdown... So here I am...wondering what side of the fence should I stay on.

On the PC I have made a level 60 or so Cast and a 50 or so Newman. Fighter and Techer respectively. Met a few people but not really dedicated players. I'm at a loss on what to do here.

I also hear the 360 population is pretty big as well. Is that true? I'm leaning towards 360 honestly. My PC was never cut out for high end gaming and the 360 just blows it out of the water. Yeah, the graphical difference is that much....

xBladeM6x
Dec 20, 2008, 03:22 PM
Go 360. You won't get slowdown (mostly) unless you are with Techers using 31+ spells. Aside from that the whole thing is good. The population on avarage for the past 3 weeks has been 2 Full universes and a couple stars here and there. You will not have any trouble finding parties. On top of that, you can re-make you character on the 360 side and level up easily with a party. Lot's of new missions and everything.

Short Answer: 360 side, and yes come back.

Gibdozer
Dec 20, 2008, 08:39 PM
i havent played on the pc, but ive been very happy with the 360 psu. my guess is it will only take you a few days of moderate to heavy play to relevel 60 on the 360servers, slow down is not bad except for the afformentioned techers and any large party fighting robots. and you will definately encounter some dedicated players, often frighteningly so.

xTwiztidClown
Dec 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
The 360 seems like its easier to play on plust theres really no lag if you're not using a horrible internet connection

Genoa
Dec 20, 2008, 10:44 PM
Go 360. You won't get slowdown (mostly) unless you are with Techers using 31+ spells. Aside from that the whole thing is good. The population on avarage for the past 3 weeks has been 2 Full universes and a couple stars here and there. You will not have any trouble finding parties. On top of that, you can re-make you character on the 360 side and level up easily with a party. Lot's of new missions and everything.

Short Answer: 360 side, and yes come back.

lol

The 360 seems like its easier to play on plust theres really no lag if you're not using a horrible internet connection
Ok, so the topic was PC or 360?
You're making it sound like PS2
I think you're confusing lag with slowdown anyways. Lag might stand for latency, but the way everyone uses the term lag usually refers to connectivity issues. Slowdown is caused by a latency issue with hardware functionality.
PS2 runs at a constant FS1 (yuk)
The 360 constantly runs at FS0, which is great... but this is why you can suffer from slowdown when things like lvl.31+ techs are being spammed.

I'm guessing you assume there's slowdown if you pick PC/PS2 regardless eh?
My PSU > any Xbox360 users.
Maximum graphical settings, ability to take snap shots and videos.
This is just spec-wise however

Economy-wise, the 360 seems a lot more stable. There's MANY more people playing xbox360 PSU > PC/PS2. However, The community on PC/PS2 is very decent in comparison.

And the techers on 360 do cause slowdown, don't let people tell you otherwise.
So far, I've been in a party with 4 Masterforces, we have all spammed lvl.41+ techs and I didn't slow down in the least bit.

This of course means you'd have to have decent computer specs to fully enjoy how much more performance PC can offer > 360.
I'm running on Intel Duo Core Processor [email protected] and an ATI HD4850 video card on maxed Windows XP 32-bit memory standard (3328MB RAM) at 1680x1050 res. People with specs lower than mine are completely maxed out with absolutely no slowdown whatsoever, and these parts I have now are considerably cheaper now in price.

Depends what you want/got...
The community isn't that bad, feels somewhat family-like since you see many of the same players on a regular basis.
The difference in performance is enough that even if PC/PS2 servers died for the US, that I would play PC on JP servers > switching to 360 US.
Snapshots are wonderful, videos are awesome, I get to make some good vids to prove nubs wrong help out the community.

In my OPINION, I think you should visit Newegg.com and check out some new hardware to upgrade your PC. It's really not that expensive. Newegg has amazing deals. Besides, you can upgrade for more than just PSU. A PC is a highly versatile device that does more than just plays games =/
If the graphical differences means so much to you, then I HIGHLY consider upgrading. I'm telling you, I could never go 360 from PC.

buzyb77
Dec 20, 2008, 11:10 PM
yeah dude Specila K is correct..... go play with people on dial-up I hear dial up is the worlds best connection and that new fangled PS2 plays them there DVDs....

GO 360 if you must...

Macras
Dec 20, 2008, 11:32 PM
wuts dial-up? srsly

but seriously, PC has a smaller community but i've found more nice people.

360 has a larger community but i have heard many unsavory stories....

PC has an somewhat unstable economy and newer items or less hunted items will cost more

360 is very stable with things costing less.

SO CHOOSE!

Genoa
Dec 20, 2008, 11:46 PM
yeah dude Specila K is correct..... go play with people on dial-up I hear dial up is the worlds best connection and that new fangled PS2 plays them there DVDs....

GO 360 if you must...

Explain the validity of this post?
PC = Dial-up?
Or am I missing something.
And PS2 has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

leblancdiaz
Dec 21, 2008, 01:39 AM
Lets see from what I noticed for the 360 there's of lots of community last time I checked there's was like 98.5k users on the 360 compared to the PC version which has than less then 3 stars on one server at any given time.

Possibly more because of GBR and master classes

The 360 never got the economy break down which for those of you that don't know what was when PSU was first released 2 notorious hackers hacked the economy and gave a lot of hacked money out to everyone they could.

After two years the economy is still suffering and it still hasn't been fixed.

Between major events it's pretty much a ghost town on the PC Version.

I'm used to doing runs by myself other than White Beast. Like I said I'm a little anti social on the 360 I'm not use to seeing two servers full and another server with 3 stars all the time.

Most people on the pc version wanted something out of you like a rare drop and never would return the favor. Countless times I would go into parties and something would drop could be the simplest thing like a monomate.

Two things would have happened then, the first thing would be someone would make the whole crybaby scene that they were hunting for this item for so long and they must have it but refused to negotiate / trade for the item and would freak out if you didn't give the item to them.

The second thing is if you gave the rare item too them like a board and you said okay guys let's do another run they would make some bs excuse that they had to leave. Yes I will admit I made some bs excuse to leave from a party but not for an item.

Whats worse is that the same person would go spam lobbies on how your such a bad player you were, that you never gave them that item or any other bs excuse you want to hear. Then when you confront the person about the inquiry they pull the whole innocent routine.

The symbol chat was disabled on the PC version due to spam it shut the server down for nearly three days because it got out of hand.

I noticed on the 360 people are friendlier and more willing to help when you ask. Provided your not spamming constantly. For example if you spam that your looking for a group so that you can do a run on White Beast for more than 2 minutes and no one replies it usually means that people don't care or no one can help you.

I'm sorry but spamming constantly will not get you anywhere and it's rather annoying. Yes I have had my fair share of spam in my days in various games but I quit after a point.

When I transferred about 6 months ago to the 360 version I had no one to play with except my one friend and half the time he rarely plays due to real life issues I think I was around level 20 and some and that threw me off. Yet I am still paying for his account, I restarted about a month ago met a lot of people chill and relaxed and mostly game mainly with two friends.

I'm trying to get a third back into the game and hes being really reluctant.

As for the lag issue I have experience both on the PC and PS2 server as well as the 360 version and what I tend to notice it's usually in certain areas of a level or there's too many enemies on screen in which case I whip out my SUV overkill a lot of enemies and it returns back to normal and the frame rate goes back up.

I also dealt with the weapons loading time and there's not much you can really do for it except some people said turning the music off on the ps2 version can help improve frame rate and it does for a bit then the frame rate dies back down. Go figure....

So yeah that's what I noticed till then I'm going to be switching on both playing the PC / PS2 and 360 server.

Criss
Dec 21, 2008, 01:51 AM
The best version, as far as game performance and stability goes, is PC. My PC is nearly 3 years old and I run PSU at max graphical settings without any slowdown (although it was one powerful PC at the time). Plus you have full control over controller configuration (Heck, I play PSU with my PS3 controller even). You can also multitask if you play in windowed mode like I do, or turn off the ingame music volume and play your own music in winamp/WMP/etc. And if you miss the voice chat, you can always try to get a ventrilo or teamspeak server setup with your friends.

X360 does seem to have the advantage as far as the size of the population goes. But you could argue that people are friendlier in general on the PC/PS2 side. If you already have friends on one server, pick that one. If you have a decent PC, consider the PC/PS2 servers. In the end it all comes down to personal choice really

Shinko
Dec 21, 2008, 02:05 AM
I say 360. I played both sides. I like it better on 360 for many reasons. (Main because there way more ppl) Like most PC player say. the PC isnt bad at all ONLY if u got a good PC. If u have a bad or normal like 1 then no. But all in all i still say 360

Only thing i miss is taking screenshot of my character.

Ramadonis
Dec 21, 2008, 04:19 AM
Thanks for all the input. It really helped alot. I got this PC mainly for school, didn't think I'd do much gaming on it so I didn't spend much. I can't afford a new processor/gfx card right now so I'm gonna run with the 360 version. Had to order the thing online because most game shops don't carry it around here anymore.

Arg, I can't wait.

joefro
Dec 21, 2008, 04:34 AM
I think you made the right choice with 360. The PC version might run faster but that is Sega's doing. The 360 has more than enough power to run PSU just fine but Sega has the worst programmers in the world. I really hate it when people say that the 360 has a horrible community. 360 probably has more friendly people than the PC/PS2 servers. I'm not saying that 360 doesn't have assholes I'm just saying that 360 has many, MANY friendly people. When you start out just don't spam or ask for money and you will find the friendlier people. :)

gratefulgriz
Dec 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
PC pleeez. but if i had a 360 instead of a laptop I would def be on the 360 side!?!?! sorreee guys!

amtalx
Dec 22, 2008, 10:02 AM
PC/PS2:The population on PC/PS2 can be downright depressing. Unless you have friends that have already agreed to help you, leveling is going to be difficult. The economy is also the pits...

360: Slowdown's a bitch. Getting booted from parties can be irritating. Of course, there are enough people playing that there will still be another party somewhere in Gurhal to join afterward...

I've been on both, and I say go for 360. The population is the kicker for me, since the whole point of this game is to play with other people.

DarkEliteRico
Dec 22, 2008, 10:55 AM
Xbox seems to be more popular due partilally how well it seems to run for most people and how accessable the systems are and currently on one myself.

If I had a decent enough computer I'd be playing PC for sure, both US and JP versions.