PDA

View Full Version : Do you beleive in the 5 second rule?

Sexy_Raine
Dec 23, 2008, 02:44 AM
When food drops on the ground, it's said you can safely eat it without having it spoiled. Would you do it? Or do you think it's BS?

I've done it before. Depends on where it drops. I wouldn't eat it if it came off a wet surface.

Have you seen anyone do it? :lol:

darkante
Dec 23, 2008, 03:42 AM
Yeah sure, when you are very into a sandwich atm.
You pick that damned sandwich up and eat it! D:

I have done that plenty of time, and yes the only exception is if the floor is dirty/wet.

Anduril
Dec 23, 2008, 04:20 AM
It is scientifically proven as complete BS, but I still so a variation of it. I usually just take off the part that hit the floor (like I'll take the bottom piece of bread off a sandwich and just fold the other piece over on itself).

Shadow_Kitsuren
Dec 23, 2008, 04:25 AM
Yeah I do it every now and then

SabZero
Dec 23, 2008, 05:25 AM
The study proved that even on a surface coated with e.coli it is quite safe to eat somethign that fell on it, even after way more then 5 seconds.

Don't be such a pussy.

Shadowpawn
Dec 23, 2008, 10:03 AM
The study proved that even on a surface coated with e.coli it is quite safe to eat somethign that fell on it, even after way more then 5 seconds.

Don't be such a pussy.

I'd rather be a pussy and healthy, then risk illness for a tasty treat. So it's not that I don't believe the 5 second rule, I just don't abide by it.

Moo2u.com
Dec 23, 2008, 10:09 AM
I've been known to eat off of the floor including wet areas o..O

Shadowpawn
Dec 23, 2008, 10:15 AM
^Oh come, there's a .com now. >_>

Moo2u
Dec 23, 2008, 10:16 AM
It's Moo-Mania. :cowsleep:

Dhylec
Dec 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
moo, who'z this intanet biz pal of yerz? ;o

Sexy_Raine
Dec 23, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'd rather be a pussy and healthy, then risk illness for a tasty treat. So it's not that I don't believe the 5 second rule, I just don't abide by it.

It depends how hungry I am. One time at a barbecue a piece of chicken fell onto the grass. I wasn't about to let it go to waste, so I grabbed it ASAP and ate that shit.

And yes, I've done that in front of people. :P

TalHex
Dec 23, 2008, 12:12 PM
meh, there is a lot worse things you can do besides eating off the floor.

Adriano
Dec 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
^Yea.
Like drinking off the floor.

TalHex
Dec 23, 2008, 12:17 PM
^you see a lot of that happening in bars and college parties, although i'm not sure its intentional all the time

Alnet
Dec 23, 2008, 12:42 PM
I think it depends on where. If it fell on the kitchen floor shortly after I cleaned it with lemony-fresh cleaner, then 4.9 seconds isn't too bad (though I might not eat it anyway). Something like a public bathroom stall would be totally unacceptable.

Why someone would be eating in a public bathroom is anyone's guess.

Sayara
Dec 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
I usually don't.

This only excludes if i am at home though. I trust my house is clean to eat from if i drop something non saucy. (like a potato chip)

Moo2u
Dec 23, 2008, 01:02 PM
moo, who'z this intanet biz pal of yerz? ;o

Hopefully not another illegitimate child...I gotta stop going to those sexy parties...

Out_Kast
Dec 23, 2008, 02:06 PM
The 5 second rule is law in our High School.
I ate a piece of melon that I dropped, and I didn't die. What's the big deal?

astuarlen
Dec 23, 2008, 02:17 PM

I have a theory that when you die you are instantly and seemlessly shifted to a parallel universe in which you haven't died (possibly from the point of space-time at which death becomes certain, thus saving you from experiencing the terrible illness, ridiculous hospital bills, and miraculous recovery), though you cannot be aware of this. It is said that there lives in this alternate universe a star hen who posts, but briefly, in the FKL.

So, as we say in America, you may already be dead.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 23, 2008, 02:19 PM
Stomach acid is pretty leet but not leet enough for some.

Food detectives, true story, figured outside sidewalks in NYC were less bacterium'd than the "clean" lab floor. But plenty of stuff after 5 seconds.

So Dhylec is good. Everyone else, drink it down with more acid. But not in the lab, acid.
Sodey pops.

Tessu
Dec 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'll eat it if I trust the floor.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Dec 23, 2008, 02:29 PM
I'll eat it if I trust the floor.
"Trust? What a silly willy misconception." Alec

"Why Alec?" Bond

To paraphrase Goldeneye that was on TV the other morning. He really didn't say silly willy of course, but big bold British backstory conjecture history precedence. And I ain't no good at remembering that word for word, son.

Shadowpawn
Dec 23, 2008, 02:54 PM

I just find it distasteful. Like hell I'm eating anything off the floor. >_>

Vanzazikon
Dec 23, 2008, 03:49 PM
I do it sometimes, but not in public. It depends on the food.