PDA

View Full Version : PSZ is connected story-wise to older PS games.

Tummai
Dec 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
At the Christmas party that Sega had to launch PSZ, there was a question and answer session. One question asked was "Is there any connection/relation (story-wise) between Phantasy Star Zero and older Phantasy Star games?" to which Sakai answered:

"We announced before that there was no connection between PSZ and the other PS games, but... if you do the quests after you finish the game, and read the story text carefully, I think you will discover that there is some relationship there."

What do you think?

Source (http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081226/psz.htm)

JericHikari
Dec 26, 2008, 10:22 AM
Does this mean that we're playing as the earth-men that end up showing up in PS2? Probably not, if anything along those lines we're playing the people that didn't go on board the noah.

I dunno, but thats the only thing that comes to mind.

Aumi
Dec 26, 2008, 08:13 PM
Probably not, if anything along those lines we're playing the people that didn't go on board the noah.

That kinda does sound like a possibility. Maybe those who went aboard here the people with power. Since all those PSII earthmen seemed to be pretty selfish bastards who wanted to take over someone else's system. Could be that they fled, because of the war (200 years ago) and the casual people are those who stayed back and build civilization back up? Who knows.

Epically Leet
Dec 27, 2008, 07:29 AM
Who knows.

Indeed he does.

MinscTFA
Dec 27, 2008, 09:20 AM
Likely some of the story will be written in a way to pay homage to the old PS games.

JericHikari
Dec 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
It could also be a closed loop system with the Alis III landing on earth after hitting a time rift/black hole, which in turn caused the war, which caused the people of earth to go to Algol, which caused the Alis III to get launched.

....Nahhhhh...

Alis-Landeel
Dec 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
It could also be a closed loop system with the Alisia III landing on earth after hitting a time rift/black hole, which in turn caused the war, which caused the people of earth to go to Algol, which caused the Alisia III to get launched.

....Nahhhhh...

I think so.

However... ---> :-O

Immovable One
Dec 27, 2008, 11:15 AM
Suddenly.... Let's build Mother Brain!

Aumi
Dec 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
Suddenly.... Let's build Mother Brain!

And use it to take over some neighboring solar system. ;-)

Immovable One
Dec 28, 2008, 02:53 PM
And use it to take over some neighboring solar system. ;-)

Or rather, use it to build factories on other planets where its citizens would work for below minimum wages to keep production costs low and company income high..... wait..... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFF

StanleyPain
Dec 28, 2008, 05:21 PM
I haven't played PSZero, but all the PS games usually have some thread going through them, typically something to do with Dark Falz. I mean, PSU is distanced totally from the PS continuity, but I think it's pretty clear the implication is that SEED is sent from or part of Dark Falz.

So, I'm sure somewhere in PSZero are hints at Falz.

JericHikari
Dec 28, 2008, 08:42 PM
Well that and the whole glomming on of PSO type bits for fanservice.

Aumi
Jan 9, 2009, 11:36 AM
So, anyone found the connection? I've finished story, but I can't read Japanese. Anyone found out?

Amherst_Wind
Jan 9, 2009, 12:05 PM
So, anyone found the connection? I've finished story, but I can't read Japanese. Anyone found out?

Apparently according to some script in one of the later quests:
The name of the planet PS Zero takes place on is Coral, the war-torn homeworld that Pioneer 1 and Pioneer 2 left in search of a new home (and found Ragol). Thus making PS Zero a prequel to PSO.

I cant read Japanese so I dont know firsthand but thats what someone said.

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 9, 2009, 06:14 PM
sodandy, you beat me to it. Just finished that quest last night! I was way shocked when I read it! I was like no way! Freak yeah! Alright, everyone, think about it... PS0 is based totally on PSO, right? Sega even said they made it to appeal to PSO fans. And PS0, the ZERO, implies a prequel, don't you think? There's more interesting info in that quest, but I'll let you all find out when the Eng. version comes out. Dang, I'm impressed with this game. Not as much as PSO, but still impressed.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 9, 2009, 06:56 PM
It is a pretty awesome connection. On a slightly related note was it ever found out if PSO was linked in anyway with the original Phantasy Star games? I know there are a few references but was any link ever made?

SammaeltheDark
Jan 9, 2009, 07:50 PM
It is a pretty awesome connection. On a slightly related note was it ever found out if PSO was linked in anyway with the original Phantasy Star games? I know there are a few references but was any link ever made?
Unfortunately PSZ kinda destroys PSO's loose ties to the original series. The biggest link there was thinking Pioneer 1 & 2 were escape ships from Palma like the ones in PSIII and for some reason Palma was being called Coral
but now that we see the actual Coral in PSZ there goes that one

Alis-Landeel
Jan 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
MMM... Not properly. It is thought that Alisia 3 was the spaceship that it is found buried on Ragol, the ruins where DF stands. Do you remember? "We didn't discover ruins. This is a spaceship. A gigantic spaceship."

But I didn' t read your spoiler or played the game, so that PSZ could contradict this theory too.

In such case I don' t want to know. I will know this fall! :'(

Mike
Jan 9, 2009, 09:15 PM
While the Earth in PSZ is called Coral in one of the missions, that only explains where Pioneer 1 and 2 came from. It doesn't explain the Falz's ship in PSO. There are still lots of theories to fool around with.

Sinue_v2
Jan 9, 2009, 09:24 PM
Doesn't Elly make reference in PSO Ep I & II to multiple homeworlds? Further, how are there Neumen in PSZ when Montague and Osto created the first Neumen according to Blue Burst?

I have a feeling that PSZ is going to create more plotholes than it closes, if there is indeed a link.

Mike
Jan 9, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have a feeling that PSZ is going to create more plotholes than it closes, if there is indeed a link.

Hey, it's Phantasy Star Online, what are you going to do? :D
Which BB quest is that, btw?

Sinue_v2
Jan 9, 2009, 10:32 PM
It was in the manual/character description on the official website.

Mike
Jan 9, 2009, 11:23 PM
I can't find anything that says that on the Japanese website. Isn't Montague a newman anyways?

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'll give a look for it on the wayback machine, but the main page has been taken down. It was on the character bios page where it details other characters like Leo Gerhart and Red Ring Rico.

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 10, 2009, 01:19 AM
Yes, Montague IS a Neuman... So how can he creat the first? O.o; Big mistake there, so either you misunderstood it, or there's a mistake in the Eng. page translation. Or something else. Anyway, doesn't anyone remember the reference in PSO Ep I in the room before ruins? It referenced the 3 planets. Not TOO obviously, but obviously. Something like, "Muut, Dits, Poumn..." That sounds a lot like Motavia, Dezoris, and Parm. However you want to say them. It was the message capsule right next to the door leading to the ruins. And the wep, Heart of Poumn, says it represents that planet, doesn't it? Been so long, so correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, perhaps it was from the original Algo solar system that Falz was sealed and sent off in a ship, which then crashed on Ragol. How did PSIV end again? Really can't remember. But if they didn't seal him in a ship, then it musta happened in another story not created yet. Which would have to take place after IV.

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 01:54 AM
Yes, Montague IS a Neuman... So how can he creat the first? O.o; Big mistake there, so either you misunderstood it, or there's a mistake in the Eng. page translation.

It's possible that it was a translation mistake, but it was there on the official site. Whether or not you accept it as canon is up to you.

And the wep, Heart of Poumn, says it represents that planet, doesn't it?

I think it was described as a "A Laconiatask tempered with the Eclipse Torch's flame. Also known as Alis' Claw." This is complete continuity nonsense as well. Alis Landale didn't use claws, Myau did. "Laconiatask" is probably a mistranslation of "Laconium Tusk". Myau's claws were called "Tusks" (a mistranslation in itself), but he didn't have a Laconium Tusk. Myau's final weapon was the "Sliver Tusk", which was passed on to Rika in PSIV.

Anyway, perhaps it was from the original Algo solar system that Falz was sealed and sent off in a ship, which then crashed on Ragol.

That's the idea. I believe PSO was originally intended to connect to PS... and character sketches for Wren were even drawn up (detailed in the Book of Hunters I think). Early PSO promos also showed Ragol as having Earth's topography. This suggests that at one time, Ragol was meant to be Earth in Aron's ending to PSIII. However, somewhere along the development process, the connection was severed.

But if they didn't seal him in a ship, then it musta happened in another story not created yet. Which would have to take place after IV.

No, PSIV didn't end like that. None of the PS games did. You're thinking of Mike Ripplinger's PS/PSO connection. The one in which Wren/Demi/Rune fight a rouge DF that escaped the PD's destruction and sealed it on a ship (because apparently they could not destroy it) - then "towed" it to Ragol.

I think this concept is completely stupid and invents way too much "fanstory" to explain gaps in the continuity. It's easier to assume the ruins as the Alisa III. The premise of Aron's ending would still be viable with the assumption that some other worldship (such as the NeoPalm) was attacked by a Dark Force and crash landed on Earth. This isn't too much of a stretch since we already know that once the seal was broken, multiple DF's could be released.

Ripplinger's theory seems to depend on the concept of the Ruins seal being that of an Esper's Seal - meaning that an Esper (Rune) would have had to created it. However, it's safe to assume (I believe) that an Esper was aboard the Alisa III at least, due to the concentrated presence of Nei weaponry. Further, in Sean's ending - the inhabitants of the Neo Palm know specific details of Dark Force, which wasn't commonly known to the general populace of Algol. Espers have also been known to utilize crygenic technology - giving them incredible longevity... and it's possible that the elders of Sage Island were descendants or students of the Espers who had "lost their purpose" due to societies collapse post-devastation war.

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 10, 2009, 02:09 AM
Wow, don't know much of PSIII's story. Didn't play very far into it. All I know for sure is that the capsule referenced the 3 original planets. So I'm guessing he had to have been sealed by inhabitants of that system. Yes, I would love to understand more of that mystery.

I've heard so many cool things about that book. Know if there's some kind of scans I could find online? I really want to get a look at it.

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 02:22 AM
I've heard so many cool things about that book. Know if there's some kind of scans I could find online? I really want to get a look at it.

It's not a complete cover to cover scan job, but you can find some good snippets here.

Pioneer Alley (http://www.skeearmon.com/pso/A_Collect_Settei.html)

Be sure to check the side panel for more options.

http://www.skeearmon.com/pso/Settei_386.gif
(386 Wren design for PSO)

If you want to get a quick overview of the storylines for PSIII, check out http://www.phantasy-star.net/. There's complete scripts for each of the original games. PSIV being the only substantial script - as the rest are really fairly sparse in dialog/development.

Also, insofar as Montegue creating Newmans:

Source (http://web.archive.org/web/20071031042026/www.psobb.com/gameinfo/world/team.php)

And so, renowned and esteemed scientists began research on this energy signature, thinking that it could shed some light into unlocking the secrets of Photon Energy. The first result was the joint creation of the two genius scientists Professor Osto Hyle and Professor Jean-Carlo Montague: the Mag. That was only a starting point in their research; they continued their work and began to develop and create things like Androids, and the artificial lifeforms known as Newmans.

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 10, 2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the links! And bwah! What the freak! He was just creating himself?

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 03:04 AM
I guess it's possible that Montague experimented on himself a bit to form the template for Newmans. He always did seem to have that "mad scientist" air to him - and never seemed particularly threatened by danger.

Still, even if you cut out the Montague inconsistencies - how is it resolved that Newmen have been around for quite some time in PSZ timeframe, yet are still so new a race in PSO's timeline that instabilities from their genetic structure lead to uncertain lifespans? For example, in PSU, Newmen have been around for quite a long time - and their lifespans are as equally stable as any other races. (Although in a twist of true "Numan" fashion, they do develop to maturity faster than Humans and Beasts. Not nearly as fast as Nei and Rika.... but still.)

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 10, 2009, 03:10 AM
Indeed, it could be that he created a new-Neuman? ;>.>

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 03:11 AM
I suppose, but then - what happened to the old Neumen? Wouldn't that mean that the Neuman race was divided into two distinct factions - which are not represented in either character creation or Pioneer 2 population?

Saphion
Jan 10, 2009, 06:39 AM
This is an awful lot of effort for what is basically an excuse to run around whacking things on the 'noggin and grabbing treasure!

It's still interesting, though.

landman
Jan 10, 2009, 07:57 AM
So the initial explanation it was Earth and Moon was BS?? or does this confirm Coral IS Earth? and now the classic games and PSO are linked not only for the Ruins but also for the Pioneer Project that comes from the same planet as Noah??

I have the Book of Hunters and this android is not Wren (Forren from PSIV) but Wren (Searren from PSIII) which for me confirms that one of PSIII endings is the ancient Ragol (or at least they intended it in the pre production of PSO)

And as you said Montague could have been investigating on improving Newmen. And if Coral is Earth, then newmen have to be an older project, the Noah Earthmen created Newmen in Algol, but the remaining Earthmen in Earth also created Newman and went to Ragol, if PS0 newmen don't have the illness Pioneer newmen had (no idea) then we have to suppose Earth scientist found a cure for them.

Also, another PSIII ending connects to Earth, and explains why Earthmen had Dark Falz in the Noah (damn dimensional rifts!!!)

Aumi
Jan 10, 2009, 07:59 AM
I guess it's possible that Montague experimented on himself a bit to form the template for Newmans. He always did seem to have that "mad scientist" air to him - and never seemed particularly threatened by danger.

Still, even if you cut out the Montague inconsistencies - how is it resolved that Newmen have been around for quite some time in PSZ timeframe, yet are still so new a race in PSO's timeline that instabilities from their genetic structure lead to uncertain lifespans? For example, in PSU, Newmen have been around for quite a long time - and their lifespans are as equally stable as any other races. (Although in a twist of true "Numan" fashion, they do develop to maturity faster than Humans and Beasts. Not nearly as fast as Nei and Rika.... but still.)

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I somewhere heard that Montague kinda turned himself into a Newman.
About the paradox of Newmans already existing in PSŲ, an explanation could be, that the Pioneer Project was started shortly after the "Great Blank" (also "Great War") or during it, after many years, when Newmans and CASTs had mostly vanished and where forgotten. Maybe the scientists of Pioneer 2 found old plans of Newman- and CAST-development and this is why they could recreate them in such a (almost) 1:1 fashion. Same goes for Photon Technology.
I don't know how viable this theory is, but there could be something to it. :-?

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 09:06 AM
landman:

And as you said Montague could have been investigating on improving Newmen.

Created. Not improving upon. The site said that Montague and Hoyle created Neumen, not modified them. As said, having two different sets of Neumen would create a problem with the parent race being non-present. After all, remember, Neumen/Numen/Newmen are all modifications in and of themselves on the basic human design.

and now the classic games and PSO are linked not only for the Ruins but also for the Pioneer Project that comes from the same planet as Noah??

How would the Pioneer Project connect to the classic PS games in any fashion?

the Noah Earthmen created Newmen in Algol

Earth scientists didn't create Numen. Mother Brain did... or more specifically, the BioSystems Labs - of which GENE and SEED were a part of. Earthlings definately had a hand in Numan creation, but Motavian scientists were also involved. The entire process wasn't automated. Remember that Neifirst killed the scientists who were working on the project when she escaped, and it was two of the surviving scientists - a married couple - who adopted NeiSecond as their daughter prior to her meeting with Rolf.

So the creation of Numan bio-soldiers was not entirely an Earthling effort. For example, GENE still worked on perfecting the Numan soldier even 1,000 years after Mother Brain's destruction and the Earthling's defeat.

I think you really have to separate Mother Brain from the Earthlings. Yeah, they had control of her - but she was more of a pawn of theirs than a direct tool or a co-conspirator.

but the remaining Earthmen in Earth also created Newman and went to Ragol

This is something I'd really like to see timeline comparisons to. What AUW year does PSZ take place in, and can the AUW calendar be compared with the AW one? If you use the 1,000 year Dark Falz/Force marker, then there's a 200 year lag between the two in favor of the AW calendar. (PSIV was 2284 AW and PSO was 3084) However, this might not be applicable since the 1,000 year resurrection marker was a property of the Algol seal's weakening - not of Dark Force himself. It is, however, stated in PSIII that Dark Force will return in 1,000 years. (Although this may be mitigated due to PSIII being developed by a different team - and taking place after PSIV, despite the game being developed before it)

Point being, that the time difference between the creation of Numen in Algol and the creation of Newmen in Coral may be too far apart to be considered a logical contingency or connected without further details.

Also, another PSIII ending connects to Earth, and explains why Earthmen had Dark Falz in the Noah (damn dimensional rifts!!!)

Which ending is that? To the best of my knowledge, only one of the games ends with contact with Earth. In two other endings, the Alisa III lands on a green planet with two moons (like Ragol) - and in the other the Alisa III meets up with the Neo-Palm. I don't recall any other ending aside from Aron's in which the Alisa III lands on Earth - nor any official source material suggesting such.

It doesn't really explain what DF was doing on the Noah either. AFAIK, this has always been more or less a fan creation for neatly wrapping up a few loose ends and defining which PSIII ending was the "correct" one. PSO threw a bit of a wrench in this, as if you assume that PS and PSO are connected story-wise, then where did the DF from the Noah come from? He could have been released when Palma was destroyed - but then, there goes a convenient and well placed reason for the Earthling's corruption which had started long before the events of PSII.

Aumi:

Maybe the scientists of Pioneer 2 found old plans of Newman- and CAST-development and this is why they could recreate them in such a (almost) 1:1 fashion. Same goes for Photon Technology.

Again, timing might be an issue. Otherwise, I'd need to know more about PSZ's storyline before I could comment. I will say that Neumans were created on Coral in either case, since the discovery of Photon Technology and the creation of Mags/Androids/Neumen predates the Pioneer Project. For example, Pioneer 2 utilizes photon technology - so it would have had to have come first. Many Neumen on Pioneer 2 also claim Coral as their homeworld - including Sue and Elly Person.

Alis-Landeel
Jan 10, 2009, 10:08 AM
It was in the manual/character description on the official website.

A manual in official website? Doesn' t count, IMHO.

And... Ragol and Coral... maybe they are the same planet on different eras. Do you remember of that old anime, Baldios? Humans leaves the future Earth to reach the old Earth. Maybe it' s something like this.

Fry_Heit
Jan 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
Something that made me chuckle in the story is when Ogi said that Mags were "baby CASTs", and that we all should take care of them. I loved how Salisa was all upset ^^.

But, yeah, I don't have anything at all to say. Sorry :(.

landman
Jan 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
they continued their work and began to develop and create things like Androids, and the artificial lifeforms known as Newmans.
develop
1. to bring out the capabilities or possibilities of; bring to a more advanced or effective state: to develop natural resources; to develop one's musical talent.
2. to cause to grow or expand: to develop one's muscles.
3. to elaborate or expand in detail: to develop a theory.
4. to bring into being or activity; generate; evolve.Your understanding of the frase is clearly different from my understanding of it, they could create androids, and develop newmen, or both.

Zarode
Jan 10, 2009, 03:09 PM
You guys do understand that you are trying to dig out plot from somewhere it is not going to happen.

And trying to fill in plot points where they could get away with writing absolute horse shit and call it a day, right?

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 03:56 PM
A manual in official website? Doesn' t count, IMHO.

Does any of the information from game manuals or official websites count then? For instance, is anything in the Phantasy Star Compendium, such as the timeline, canon?

Your understanding of the frase is clearly different from my understanding of it, they could create androids, and develop newmen, or both.

It lies in the context. Montague and Hoyle "developed Neumen" as a species. It did not specify that they developed inherent Neumen traits or talents. Indeed, that quote I posted was from a article on the MOTHER project - which states that Neumen were "developed" as a result of this research.

If wanted to get anal about it, the snippet can mean any number of things. Perhaps Androids were developed and Neumen were created? Or perhaps (more likely) that both Neumen and Androids were created and then further developed. The lack of specifics due to poor wording make it hard to determine when taken out of context.

In either case, it does nothing to resolve the Montague dilemma.

Hikage818
Jan 10, 2009, 04:13 PM
so wait if PSZ takes place on the planet pioneer 1 and 2 left from, how come booma and gigobooma's origin forms are on the planet....?(both are the mini pig rare enemies)

Aumi
Jan 10, 2009, 04:28 PM
Aumi:

Again, timing might be an issue. Otherwise, I'd need to know more about PSZ's storyline before I could comment. I will say that Neumans were created on Coral in either case, since the discovery of Photon Technology and the creation of Mags/Androids/Neumen predates the Pioneer Project. For example, Pioneer 2 utilizes photon technology - so it would have had to have come first. Many Neumen on Pioneer 2 also claim Coral as their homeworld - including Sue and Elly Person.

On the other side, can we proof it wrong? PSŲ has no official timeline, so we don't know...

And... Ragol and Coral... maybe they are the same planet on different eras. Do you remember of that old anime, Baldios? Humans leaves the future Earth to reach the old Earth. Maybe it' s something like this.

Impossible. The people of Coral sent out P1 to find a suitable planet to live on, which in the end was Ragol, and then went to the same planet with P2.

so wait if PSZ takes place on the planet pioneer 1 and 2 left from, how come booma and gigobooma's origin forms are on the planet....?(both are the mini pig rare enemies)

Fan service. Like Rappies, which where originally from PSIII IIRC.

landman
Jan 10, 2009, 05:36 PM

In either case, it does nothing to resolve the Montague dilemma.
Precisely, my point is that you take too seriously what is vague information in an English website translated by no members of Sonic Team, I also read that information back in the day and I just made the conclusion that translators screwed it, why do you have to take it as (vague) fact? xD the idea of someone changing his body into another race is just ridiculous lol

Also, the connection I referred before was Earth, Earth is linked to the classic series, and now that we know Coral is Earth it is also linked to PSO

Sinue_v2
Jan 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
On the other side, can we proof it wrong? PSŲ has no official timeline, so we don't know...

The burden of proof lies with the positive claim. Just because we can't prove it wrong, yet, is no reason to assume it's true or even likely. That's why we'd need a timeline, to provide some modicum of evidence either in favor or opposed to the claim.

[FONT=Verdana]
Precisely, my point is that you take too seriously what is vague information in an English website translated by no members of Sonic Team, I also read that information back in the day and I just made the conclusion that translators screwed it, why do you have to take it as (vague) fact?

I don't necessarily take it as fact, but it was stated on the official website and was not rescinded, so that in itself constitutes at least some modicum of canoninity. As said, whether or not you accept this is up to you. A LOT of obvious localization and translation errors - or other inconsistencies - plague the Phantasy Star series and has lead to a lot of different views on what should be considered canon. This is what has lead some, such as Mike Ripplinger, to suggest the idea of "Two Phantasy Stars" - keeping the Japanese and English versions separate and taking each at face value as their own separate series.

Separate but Equal (http://www.camineet.net/camineet/theories/separatebutequal.asp)

the idea of someone changing his body into another race is just ridiculous lol

How so? It's not like this sort of thing is without precidence in Phantasy Star. Lutz transferred his will and consciousness across several different individuals, the last known of which was Rune from Phantasy Star IV. This never (to my knowledge) crossed racial boundaries, but since Nu/Neu/Newmen have only ever been described as a modification of humans (rather than a separate alien species like Motavians and Dezolians) - the basic principle doesn't seem totally outside the realm of possibility in the PS universe.

Also, the connection I referred before was Earth, Earth is linked to the classic series, and now that we know Coral is Earth it is also linked to PSO

Yet, it has not been conclusively substantiated that PSO is linked to PS. So any connection to the classic series, however obvious the references may be, is still tentative and speculative.

Aki_Yoruno
Jan 10, 2009, 11:56 PM
Sure, "Let's just put the names of the 3 planets in the message capsule before Ruins area for fun." That's part of the story. It's linked to them somehow.

You know, I never thought it would be so fun and interesting to argue/debate these topics. Interesting possibilities.

PepperCat
Jan 11, 2009, 01:34 AM
About the whole "development" debacle...

Do you guys remember Shino the android? I believe she belonged to Great Sword Zoke or someone similar.

She described herself as an "old-type" android without feelings or emotions.

So maybe that word was badly chosen on the website as the "creator" of newman and androids, and they meant develop?

I do also remember Montague talking about adjusting Elenor's emotional range, so its likely that Montague brought out refinements to both Newmans and Androids.

Just my 2 cents worth.

landman
Jan 11, 2009, 02:51 AM
Rutsu passed his knowledge, Rune was not Rutsu, he inherited his knowledge and I doubt Montague is an elder person with a new body neither I think he changed his genetic code a la Ryan Industries, Montage is just too childish to be wise, even if he is a genius or not xD

Mike
Jan 11, 2009, 04:31 AM
According to the Japanese website, Montague created two androids with the "Emotional AI" and mags. Elenor and Ult. Elenor went underground with Montague and Ult was abducted by Works and then went missing. Not really a spoiler, I guess. Either way, mags are on earth and Earth is supposed to be Coral according to PSZ so Montague is now a big hole. In the end, It's just more PSO-style story telling with the same old plot holes.

Aumi
Jan 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
About the whole "development" debacle...

Do you guys remember Shino the android? I believe she belonged to Great Sword Zoke or someone similar.

She described herself as an "old-type" android without feelings or emotions.

So maybe that word was badly chosen on the website as the "creator" of newman and androids, and they meant develop?

I do also remember Montague talking about adjusting Elenor's emotional range, so its likely that Montague brought out refinements to both Newmans and Androids.

Just my 2 cents worth.

From the Wiktionary article of "develop (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/develop)":

to develop (third-person singular simple present develops (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/develops), present participle developing (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/developing), simple past and past participle developed (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/developed))

(intransitive) To progress (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/progress). Let's see how things develop and then make our decision.
(intransitive) To progress through a sequence (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sequence) of stages. Isabel developed from a tropical depression to a tropical storm to a hurricane. An embryo develops into a fetus and then into an infant.
(transitive) To create (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/create). I need to develop a plan for the next three weeks.

Phoenix_Black
Jan 13, 2009, 05:15 AM
So... I have not touched PSO in a few years and when I did play it, I was like 10... I've also not had the chance to even touch the classic series, sadly(I'm deprived!) and nope, I don't have PSZ.

That being said, I think I could make some speculation based on the Coral revelation. Could it be that PSZ takes place not before but after the events of PSO and the zero in the title might refer to a new beginning of sorts? Perhaps it takes place on Coral after things started to get better there after it got screwed up? Maybe it even takes place on an entirely new planet that was renamed in honor of the old Coral, signifying that Mankind and its creations will do better in protecting it and caring for it.

And in the end, there's always the chance that the planet being named Coral is just a nod to PSO, rather then a direct link, not even connecting the two stories.

landman
Jan 13, 2009, 12:01 PM
I though we all though it takes place after PSO lol it's the more logical... Pioneer 2 leaves a dying planet because of war, the planet dies because of war, and then resurrects with another civilization, here you have PSŲ. The origin in PSO is Coral, so Coral/Earth is the new stage for the story, but in the future