PDA

View Full Version : How long do you think this game will last?

metatime
Dec 27, 2008, 05:24 PM
I was talking to one of my friends about this game and overall, he says that most of the game is easy. =P He already got to level 79 after 6 days of hardcore playing, lol

This really concerns me since it sounds like this game will not last as long as PSO. While PSO is not too hard, PSO is still harder than PSZ from what I understand. I was hoping that there were quests/stages suitable for level 100, 4-p teams to take on but it doesn's sound like there are.

I was hoping that getting to 100 takes at least 2 months minimum but it doesn't sound like that would even be possible if someone plays a few hrs a day.

At this rate, it feels like this game will last maybe a year, 1.5 years at most.

What do you guys, to the players that are already high leveled, feel about this?

Akaimizu
Dec 27, 2008, 05:57 PM
Not sure. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the game isn't too long for a single character to get to the end game and be ready to just hunt for items. Still, you'll probably run multiple characters since you can't just class-switch like you can in PSP and PSU.

However, even the PSP game is to provide a quicker and somewhat faster experience, per character, than the full-blown console games. I would think this one may be similar. However, I don't know if there is a lot of seasonal content and stuff put in there. If so, that could really put a big length to it.

metatime
Dec 27, 2008, 06:04 PM
The thing that kept more of the dedicated PSO players playing (like me, still playing PSO) were 3 main goals. Hitting 200 (my least favorite), item hunting, and soloing difficult stages like Towers (mini-bosses and megid galore)

I was hoping that there were stages/quests that require 4 100 level players to complete.

Akaimizu
Dec 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
I haven't seen that far so I can't tell you yet.

aarosmashguy
Dec 27, 2008, 07:12 PM
ehhhh psz's bosses are a lot harder than pso's. The dragon actually does more than 2 things. you actually have to think and can't just keep slashing up front.

I just got the game yesterday but so far I love everything except for maybe lvl 100 being the cap and the limited character customization.

metatime
Dec 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
ehhhh psz's bosses are a lot harder than pso's. The dragon actually does more than 2 things. you actually have to think and can't just keep slashing up front.

I just got the game yesterday but so far I love everything except for maybe lvl 100 being the cap and the limited character customization.

I never mentioned bosses, lol, just the overall hardness of the game once a player has an advance level and some equipment. My opinion was based on a friend who dedicatedly played this game for 6 days straight and I was wondering on other advance players advice on this issue. =P

aarosmashguy
Dec 27, 2008, 08:40 PM
For a hand held system you really expect it to be as big as pso? and as long?

my mistake about the bosses lol. Its still harder for me than pso and I had like 1000+ hours on that game. The enemies still seem to have more life in them if that makes any sense.

Thalui89
Dec 27, 2008, 08:56 PM
I wasnt expecting it to be massive since its just a handheld game. And also 6 days of hardcore gaming isnt too bad. Solutions simple, dont hardcore the game instead actually play the game.

Vernon12345
Dec 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
I would say the game has as much playtime as the first PSO, ep, maybe even EPS1&2, I was surprised at just how much content there is in PSZ. To me it seems a little easier as you can feed your MAG pretty much anything and there are a lot of grinders/materials around. It's hard to really judge playtime because, like PSO, everyone's been putting some hardcore time in over the past week, and we're all gonna start again when the English release comes out anyway. Also, if you're like me and wanna see the story, you'll have to play through story mode with each race, so there's a few more hours already.

metatime
Dec 27, 2008, 09:42 PM
For a hand held system you really expect it to be as big as pso? and as long?

my mistake about the bosses lol. Its still harder for me than pso and I had like 1000+ hours on that game. The enemies still seem to have more life in them if that makes any sense.

I have 2500+ hrs on PSO, lol so I was expecting at least 500 hrs for PS0 since it's a handheld. XD

PSO was pretty tough in the beginning especially ep2 but once you leveled and find some sacrifical weapons or weapons with hit, it becomes easy.

Zarode
Dec 28, 2008, 12:42 AM
You'll enjoy a run or two every once and a while, after the first few months set in, online. That's how I see it.

ChaosAngel92
Dec 29, 2008, 01:49 PM
....since you can't just class-switch like you can in PSP and PSU.

o.O
How?

Zarode
Dec 29, 2008, 02:20 PM
o.O
How?

Read it again. Can't.

ChaosAngel92
Dec 29, 2008, 02:33 PM
Read it again. Can't.

Been playing since 4 am. Forgive my noobish quotes.

SammaeltheDark
Dec 30, 2008, 01:54 AM
I'm being reminded of PSO ver.1 with the level 100 cap and 3 difficulties w/ no new enemy models on the highest one

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega has an expansion planned from the outset where we'll see Ultra Hard, level 200, and other new stuff

deso123
Dec 30, 2008, 02:09 AM
I'm being reminded of PSO ver.1 with the level 100 cap and 3 difficulties w/ no new enemy models on the highest one

I wouldn't be surprised if Sega has an expansion planned from the outset where we'll see Ultra Hard, level 200, and other new stuff

stop that it hurts to remember. >:3

DemonMike
Dec 30, 2008, 03:18 AM
You may have a point with the expansions, although I imagine some people wouldnt be impressed by the lack of character importing (Then again, that has happened before).

I'm playing the game at what I consider a sensible pace for a gamer, I've poured 35+ hours into it, and I've been playing for a week and a half? I imagine this game is an attempt to lure the casual players into playing Phantasy Star games, so there will be people who play alot slower than I do. I'm currently level 48, so I'm all good at the moment.

I am a little unimpressed by the level 100 cap. But seeing as there are only 3 difficulties, It does seem level 200 is not really needed, but still, its a goal for hardcores.

Its impressive for a handheld Phantasy Star, I've enjoyed this ALOT more than Phantasy Star Portable. Despite my complaints, its still worth my money, and I eagerly anticipate the english release.

Fry_Heit
Dec 30, 2008, 03:29 AM
What I noticed is that the rom is 128mbits sized and not 256 as the biggest DS games. I am SURE Sega has an expansion planning just for that reason.

DemonMike
Dec 30, 2008, 03:37 AM
I'm not sure what your getting at..

The cartridge used is 1gigabit, giving them 128mb space, of which they utilized around 120mb of, so they had no need for a 2gigabit cart.

Please keep in mind the only games that have used 2gigabit carts are very cutscene heavy, the most recent example of using a cart of that size is the Tales of Hearts games. Its also interesting to note that so far, it seems that no 2gigabit cartridge games have been released outside of Japan (this may be wrong, but i'm 90% its true)

SammaeltheDark
Dec 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
You may have a point with the expansions, although I imagine some people wouldnt be impressed by the lack of character importing (Then again, that has happened before).
I wondered how they'd support character importing at all and 1) if there is an expansion, 2) if it supports importing, it might use some feature of the DSi to make it possible

parabolee
Dec 30, 2008, 03:46 PM

The cartridge used is 1gigabit, giving them 128mb space, of which they utilized around 120mb of, so they had no need for a 2gigabit cart.

Please keep in mind the only games that have used 2gigabit carts are very cutscene heavy, the most recent example of using a cart of that size is the Tales of Hearts games. Its also interesting to note that so far, it seems that no 2gigabit cartridge games have been released outside of Japan (this may be wrong, but i'm 90% its true)

What he/she is getting at is that Sega has plenty of room for a game that is twice as big. And with that in mind, they will probably be planning a sequel/expansion if PS0 does well.

Fry_Heit
Dec 30, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yup, that's what I meant.

That plus the quite open ending of the game. Story-wise, they could easily do a sequel, everything seems too OK not to have anything after that. God how I hated that cheerful conclusion!

Nowhere
Dec 30, 2008, 04:13 PM

I'd like to add a bit to this. On carts ROM space is very expensive. (Some SNES carts had decompression chips built in and would decompress image data/etc fast enough to feed to the CPU, since that was cheaper than the ROM space required to store them uncompressed.) This is why some EA games on the DS have load times. I'm not sure why Nintendo would allow that to pass QA, since the major advantage to the consumer for a cart system is: virtually no load times.

Anyway, IIRC--and I'm pretty certain here, cart sizes must be in powers of two, meaning most games are very close to any given allocation size, but always just under--never just over. When it comes to it, 2gbit is a long way off from 1gbit, so very few producers will see fit to use it unless they have a truly huge game. So there's a lot of variance for the smaller ROM sizes, but the bigger ones get really rare.