PDA

View Full Version : I challenge you to challenge yourselves

Jepp027
Dec 28, 2008, 09:49 PM
As we all know PSO and PSU are dominated by Japanese and the U.S and Canada among other countries are second on thier lists behind Japan of course. My challenge to you is to better yourselves, learn the Japanese language, you can get the Japanese games 6 months to 1 year ahead of the english version so why wait? I am working towards learning the language myself and I can already read some of the Japanese Phantasy Star Portable and will be getting the Phantasy Star Zero soon. I think 98% of the people reading this are too lazy and will never even attempt this. So I consider them to have lost even before they have begun.

Aki_Yoruno
Dec 28, 2008, 10:11 PM
Yes, good challenge. It doesn't take much to get started. There are countless resources available online and offline. Let me introduce to you the book that started me on my journey of the Japanese language somewhere within 15 years ago (I'm only 25...): Read Japanese Today. I'm sure there are better resources nowadays. I, too, shall extend this challenge. If you really are interested in learning, even for the sake of JP release games... Then "Open the trunk! Do it!"

deso123
Dec 28, 2008, 11:24 PM
**** that. ima continue my guessing game when it comes to Japanese games. in a perfect world maybe but i got better things to do like stare at walls. i aint gonna learn an entire language just to know what the weapon im holding is called. stats and visual aids are enough for me.

Nowhere
Dec 29, 2008, 12:17 AM
Eh, you can't learn a language in a vacuum. You need to talk to other people, and online play is deficient there IMO. From what I understand of kanji, I wouldn't even try to learn that without oral instruction.

Evila
Dec 29, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm learning Japanese, but I don't care for importing games that will get a US release eventually. I do have a small collection of import games, but the rest are domestic releases. I'm more of an import music CD, art book, and merchandise buyer. >_>

I'm just more comfortable playing games in my native language. I don't care about the lengthy wait for English releases since I play so many different games, so it's not like I have nothing to do while waiting. That and none of my friends play import stuff, so it'd really bring down the amount of people I could play multi-player with. I'm just not really fond of playing with random people.

Regardless... learning a foreign language is great, and I recommend that people learn what they're interested in. I already know Spanish, and would like to start learning Korean after getting a better grasp on Japanese.

Laranas
Dec 29, 2008, 12:40 AM
I've been learning Japanese for about 5 years, so this isn't much of a challenge to me as it is a continuous process. But for those who aren't bi or tri-lingual, it's a good thing to be so take yourself to a bookstore and get a textbook.

jShazBot
Dec 29, 2008, 12:52 AM
I don't lose. I simply choose not to win.

darkante
Dec 29, 2008, 04:54 AM
I think itīs good for me that i can understand English/American pretty well at all.

And when i care more about Japanese language, i learn it.
Simple as that. Itīs not something you learn in one day.

DemonMike
Dec 29, 2008, 05:19 AM
I've only learnt Katakana myself, not sure why, but I guess it was just for the sake of learning something new, maybe learn it all. Handy enough, alot of items are in katakana, so I pay attention to that, the story can wait til its english release for me.

ZarroTsu
Dec 29, 2008, 07:36 AM
I don't lose. I simply choose not to win.

*ding ding*! We have a winner!

I see no reward or point to this challenge. Is anyone honestly going to give a damn if 10 or so people accomplish this? No. It's a meager challenge posted on a fan-based community forum. If it were to have any form of major impact, it would most likely cause Japanese games to never again be translated into English. And guess what? That notion would lead back to here, back to you; and you'd wake up with a horse's head next to you in your bed. And I'd have been the one to put it there.

Aeternus
Dec 29, 2008, 09:02 AM
I started trying to learn japanese several weeks ago.. currently using My Japanese Coach for DS which is actually a very nice program.. and going to use that in conjunction with Rosetta Stone.. japanese is much harder than other languages i've tried learning (such as Indonesian) as it's so different. Reading is the hardest for me so far. Lots and lots of memorization. I have to do things like 5323 times to get remember correctly.. I guess i'm slow! haha

deso123
Dec 29, 2008, 12:59 PM
i fail hard in life due to my lacking short term memory and ability to not give a crap about anything i set my mind to a day after the fact.

jShazBot
Dec 30, 2008, 03:27 AM

I see no reward or point to this challenge. Is anyone honestly going to give a damn if 10 or so people accomplish this? No. It's a meager challenge posted on a fan-based community forum. If it were to have any form of major impact, it would most likely cause Japanese games to never again be translated into English. And guess what? That notion would lead back to here, back to you; and you'd wake up with a horse's head next to you in your bed. And I'd have been the one to put it there.

LOL
Wait, what?

Aki_Yoruno
Dec 30, 2008, 08:29 AM

Note to all:
Read word under his name.

ZarroTsu
Dec 30, 2008, 10:24 AM
Note to all:
Read word under his name.

Note to all:
Insanity is correlative to wisdom.

Caesera
Dec 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
Note to all:
Insanity is correlative to wisdom.