PDA

View Full Version : Question on Friend codes

parabolee
Dec 29, 2008, 02:36 PM
I haven't experimented with them much but say I have someone on my list that does not have me on their list.

Will I be able to see if they are online? Will I be able to join their game?

Or are we limited to only people who have our friend code too?

Thanks for the stupid friend code system Nintendo! Imagine how amazing PS0 would be if we could just exchange Hunter Codes in games! Ans were free to communicate with random players as well as friends!

You know like every other online game not on a Nintendo system!

XIIBlades
Dec 29, 2008, 03:42 PM
I agree with you 100%.

parabolee
Dec 29, 2008, 04:32 PM
So does nobody know if we can join the games of friends that we have their code but they don't have ours?

Because there is no feedback as to who has entered your code after you enter theirs.

ZarroTsu
Dec 29, 2008, 08:33 PM
Nintendo assumes you have FRIENDS who share the same interests, specifically the games you own. These are the people Nintendo sets out to put the FC's to use with, because playing video games together is something fun and enjoyable, especially if you converse about it later in real life.

If you don't have friends to play with, or multiple friends with the same interests for that matter; stop bitching about it, and set out to make more friends. This is Nintendo's goal of the matter, in hopes that players ultimately get out into the world, and game for fun in moderation. You know those health warnings that ask you to take breaks between game sessions? It's not only for eye strain or eye problems, but also for a sake that you spend the time with people you care about, and generally get out into the world and have fun.

I do not own the game yet, and will not until it's out in English, but from your say in it, I can only assume you can't talk in 'random' Wi-fi games, as that's what it sounds like.

Well, generally people don't need you yelling in their ear all the time online, nagging at them, or in any case being just plain rude altogether. It's Nintendo's way of being protective of their users, because not everyone enjoys the XBox crowd of gamers and their online play. Do you really want someone swearing all the time? No. Do you really need someone spamming a drawing of breasts every 3 seconds? No. Do you need someone saying they'll hunt you down and kill you IRL? No.

It works the same for simply giving out friend codes, too. Assuming you don't know the person at all, there's the slim chance that they might lure you out to a location you know, only to kidnap, hurt, or rape you. This would instantly be stained on Nintendo's hands, and generally they don't want this to happen.

Aki_Yoruno
Dec 29, 2008, 10:30 PM
Wow, harsh. Too harsh. You have a point there, though. Yeah, best for you guys to wait for an English version, too. But hey, anyone who knows half of what's going on in the game, as soon as I get around to looking up whatever my code is, feel free to join me. Yeah, I don't play it too much, and I do get around in the real world.

parabolee
Dec 30, 2008, 11:14 AM
Nintendo assumes you have FRIENDS who share the same interests, specifically the games you own. These are the people Nintendo sets out to put the FC's to use with, because playing video games together is something fun and enjoyable, especially if you converse about it later in real life.

If you don't have friends to play with, or multiple friends with the same interests for that matter; stop bitching about it, and set out to make more friends. This is Nintendo's goal of the matter, in hopes that players ultimately get out into the world, and game for fun in moderation. You know those health warnings that ask you to take breaks between game sessions? It's not only for eye strain or eye problems, but also for a sake that you spend the time with people you care about, and generally get out into the world and have fun.

I do not own the game yet, and will not until it's out in English, but from your say in it, I can only assume you can't talk in 'random' Wi-fi games, as that's what it sounds like.

Well, generally people don't need you yelling in their ear all the time online, nagging at them, or in any case being just plain rude altogether. It's Nintendo's way of being protective of their users, because not everyone enjoys the XBox crowd of gamers and their online play. Do you really want someone swearing all the time? No. Do you really need someone spamming a drawing of breasts every 3 seconds? No. Do you need someone saying they'll hunt you down and kill you IRL? No.

It works the same for simply giving out friend codes, too. Assuming you don't know the person at all, there's the slim change that they might lure you out to a location you know, only to kidnap, hurt, or rape you. This would instantly be stained on Nintendo's hands, and generally they don't want this to happen.

Have you never played Phantasy Star Online? Do you have no idea how great it was playing with strangers and making friends in that game? SUre what you describe happened from time to time but it was rare enough and you could easily avoid those people (or report them). Don't let a few bad apples spoil a great game.

PSZ does not support voice chat, so there is no "yelling" for a start. If someone is being obnoxious you can boot them or leave the room and blacklist them in most Phantasy Star Online games.

And if you don't want to communicate with real people then play with the AI! If you don't want to play with strangers, you don't need to be protected by Nintendo to do that, you can just play with friends without the insane friend code system (same on the Xbox or PS3). Hell I would have much less complaints with the friend code system if EVERY game didn't have a different friend code!

I have a lot of friends into video games, however when the barrier to entry is having a DS, liking Phantasy Star, importing a Japanese copy AND then playing at the same time I do (having limited time being a parent too). I am not left with many people to play with. And even if that wasn't a problem, there is ZERO way in game to communicate with people you HAVE friend codes of. I would have to call them all individually on the phone! Great work Nintendo/Sega!

I would just like to be able to play it in the same way I have played EVERY online Phantasy Star game to date! Nobody felt the need to be overprotective with the Gamecube or Dreamcast versions! And the Wii uses the same insane friend codes system so this is not just because it's on a hand held.

And if you agree with Nintendo in your assertion that they presume you have friends with the same interests and therefore games then why have online play at all? Just have your friends come over for a link up game? I don't think Nintendo give a damn about if you do or do not have friends, they are just being overprotective for legal reasons. They are making no presumptions about your real word friends at all. I do not believe anyone at Nintendo ever said "hey these people have real friends, and we should encourage them to play only with them, or make more friends.. I think you are over rationalizing Nintendo's position on friend codes. And if someone in a Nintendo board meeting said "we should encourage our customers to put down the video games every now and then and go play outside, sure we'll sell less games but the world would be a better place" he would be fired.

And were Sega/Nintendo stained really bad by all those stories of people being kidnapped and raped because they were playing Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast and Gamecube?! Same with World of Warcraft right (which has a LOT of kids and younger teens playing)? No because a) it didn't happen and b) nobody blames the creator of the internet for what people do on it!

Using that line of thought you may as well say the government have a good reason to keep us all locked in our houses because they don't want to be blamed for bad things that might happen when we go outside.

The DS skews much older than the Gameboy did, there are plenty of adults playing on the DS. And we shouldn't all be treat like children because some children play on the Nintendo DS. It's not hard to include a parental lock system on the console to prevent access to unwanted features!

I have never met anyone that liked the friend code system. It is overprotective, redundant (different codes for each game) and a huge pain in the ass when compared to other online systems.

To be honest you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it.

SolRiver
Dec 31, 2008, 05:52 AM
ZarroTsu would know why Nintendo want to protect kids, since he himself are those kind of people Nintendo would like to keep away from kids.

While that, Nintendo's system suck for not having flexibility for the consumers. Nice try, but fail.

Disastorm
Jan 5, 2009, 10:07 PM
as they put in online, unlike phantasy star portable.

parabolee
Jan 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
as they put in online, unlike phantasy star portable.

I presume you meant to type "at least they put in online..."

To which I wholeheartedly agree. Although Phantasy Star Portable will support online with a PS3 now. The lead designer said they are looking to address the communication issue with the US release. Because PSPortable was designed to play together in the same room, so there is no communication options at all.

But he said it will probably support voice chat through the PS3. I still prefer PSZ's method. But it's good news for those of us that want to play PSP too.

Moniker
Jan 6, 2009, 03:12 PM
To be fair, the only real spam I've noticed during random matches is someone screaming "Help!" when they expect everyone to resurrect them a dozen times every mission.