PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Zero IRC channel

parabolee
Dec 29, 2008, 04:58 PM
The IRC channel seems to be the closest alternative to the PSO lobby system. If you want to organize a game in a very short amount of time, then the IRC channel is the way to go for sure! Once in the IRC chat room, you can usually get a game in less than 5 minutes!

There is always a good group of people online, I hope you all will join us. The more there is, the easier it will be to get games started.

UPDATED: It seems Mibbit has greatly improved over the last year and runs great in any browser. It is now my recommended connection method as it is VERY easy to use. I'll leave other method guides below for those that want a dedicated IRC software.
UPDATE: Fixed Trillian guide link.
UPDATED: I have added guides for Trillian, mIRC and a link to use web based IRC.

BEST CONNECTION METHOD ON PC/MAC/LINUX

MIBBIT

http://www.mibbit.com/chat/

SETTINGS:

IRC: EFNET [webirc]

Nick: (yourname)
Channel: #ps0

Or see the attached image at the bottom of post for connection settings.

Other dedicated IRC software guides -

For Windows I suggest using Trillian or mIRC (or if you have Firefox the Chatzilla add on)-

http://www.download.com/Trillian/3000-2150_4-10047473.html?tag=mncol
http://www.mirc.com/

IRC connection guide for Trilian -
http://my.opera.com/Dave%20Sinkula/blog/setting-up-trillian-for-irc (http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=900)
Be sure to use irc.efnet.org and when you join a channel use #ps0

Connection guide for mIRC -
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/connecting_to_ad_buddies.cfm
Be sure to use irc.efnet.org and #ps0 rather than what is stated in the guide.

Or you can even use your web browser. This is the easiest method but I prefer a dedicated IRC program. IRC in a web browser can cause your browser to run slowly -

http://www.mibbit.com/chat/
See the attached image for connection settings.

For Mac use Colloquy (or Chatzilla for Firefox users) -

http://colloquy.info/downloads.html

There is even a great iPhone IRC client called Rooms for only $3.

Once you have a client, connect to -

Server: Efnet (irc.efnet.org)
Host: #ps0

There is always a group of us on there and with more people it should be even easier to get a game going.

If anyone has any problem connecting, let me know I use all three above version so I can help you get connected (although it's VERY easy).

See you all online!

Shiroyu
Dec 29, 2008, 05:02 PM
#pd0?

Lawl looking before posting. >_>

parabolee
Dec 29, 2008, 05:08 PM
Lol, oops. Fixed

Akaimizu
Dec 29, 2008, 05:26 PM
Sounds pretty cool. I think I'll probably get on there either tomorrow or wednesday. I figure I'd start out the new year with some online play.

Segya
Dec 29, 2008, 06:50 PM
I prefer mirc over trillian even though I have that installed too...

parabolee
Dec 29, 2008, 06:54 PM
I like mIRC too. But mIRC is only free for 30 days. And Trillian does the same job for free.

Shiroyu
Dec 29, 2008, 07:21 PM
On the "reg now plox ur 30 days r up" window, you can just wait a few seconds and you can then click continue, so you can technically own it for free forever.

parabolee
Dec 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
On the "reg now plox ur 30 days r up" window, you can just wait a few seconds and you can then click continue, so you can technically own it for free forever.

Good to know, thanks. I'll add it to the list.

parabolee
Dec 30, 2008, 08:32 PM
Anyone else think this deserves a sticky [crosses fingers]

For those that haven't dropped in yet, it works great as semi-replacement for a PSO lobby.

Akaimizu
Dec 31, 2008, 04:44 AM
Ok. I'll download the client and set up a default for this irc.

Aumi
Dec 31, 2008, 08:09 AM
I don't understand how to connect to an irc channel using Trillian Basic. Can anyone help?

Ultie
Dec 31, 2008, 10:09 AM
trillian > manage connections

go to plugins and make sure irc is ticked
go to identities and connections
add new connection, select irc
fill in info then click connect
click close
click on the white circle, then go to the irc channel you added and then go to join a channel and put in ps0

EspharianRage
Jan 3, 2009, 01:04 AM
I have mIRC installed, but...I have NO idea how to use it, I've never used this kind of thing before, heh...anyone care to help me out here?

parabolee
Jan 3, 2009, 01:15 AM
Been a while since I used miRC. But this guide should help -

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/connecting_to_ad_buddies.cfm

For the channel use irc.efnet.org instead of irc.stormchat.org and instead of #afterdawn use #ps0

ignore the guide after that. Let me know if you need more help.

EspharianRage
Jan 3, 2009, 01:24 AM
Alright, thanks, I've got it now, was a lil slow on understanding it, but I got it. Thanks tons.

Akaimizu
Jan 3, 2009, 02:01 AM
Also. I just want to clarify a bit of info if you plan to use Colloquy on the Mac. One issue with us picking efnet.org is that it has some stricter codes for what irc clients are allowed to connect. Most notably identd. If you haven't before and you use the Colloquy solution, you'll hear about it now.

If you are using Colloquy you'll need to get and install the identd server from here:

http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/541393/IdentD_2.5.1.dmg

The disk image will open up and you install that. Once you do, you can go to your system preferences and now see identd as a program in your Other category. Launch that, click the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your Mac login password. Then simply click the button to activate the server. That's it. Once you do, Colloquy will properly be able to send the identd information for the efnet.org server to allow you in, otherwise it'll kick you out thinking you're bot. (This was tested on Leopard and with intel macs. So those with newer machines should run this easy.)

Otherwise, the Firefox browser method may also work. Using chatzilla, which you can find using google.

parabolee
Jan 3, 2009, 02:27 AM
Also. I just want to clarify a bit of info if you plan to use Colloquy on the Mac. One issue with us picking efnet.org is that it has some stricter codes for what irc clients are allowed to connect. Most notably identd. If you haven't before and you use the Colloquy solution, you'll hear about it now.

If you are using Colloquy you'll need to get and install the identd server from here:

http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/541393/IdentD_2.5.1.dmg

The disk image will open up and you install that. Once you do, you can go to your system preferences and now see identd as a program in your Other category. Launch that, click the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your Mac login password. Then simply click the button to activate the server. That's it. Once you do, Colloquy will properly be able to send the identd information for the efnet.org server to allow you in, otherwise it'll kick you out thinking you're bot. (This was tested on Leopard and with intel macs. So those with newer machines should run this easy.)

Otherwise, the Firefox browser method may also work. Using chatzilla, which you can find using google.

I use both Colloquy and Chatzilla on my Mac. Have had no problems with either. Both support commands and everything seems perfect.

I did not install the identd program and have had no problems connecting to efnet.org. So millage may vary.

Akaimizu
Jan 3, 2009, 02:32 AM
I definitely had problems. I was able to connect once or twice, after that, the server would never let me on again, until I did the identd thing. So some people may be lucky, at least for a while. However, if it starts to give you static, you'll know what to get.

Frokko
Jan 7, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hi all. I have dowloaded the Trillian, and installed it. What do I do now? ^^

Hmm, I think I got it now, will try some more.

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 09:19 AM
trillian > manage connections

go to plugins and make sure irc is ticked
go to identities and connections
add new connection, select irc
fill in info then click connect
click close
click on the white circle, then go to the irc channel you added and then go to join a channel and put in ps0

Let me know if this helps you get connected via Trillian.

Frokko
Jan 7, 2009, 09:28 AM
"fill in the info" what kind of info?

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 09:33 AM
She means the server "irc.efnet.org", your username (whatever you want) and then eventually the channel name "#ps0".

Frokko
Jan 7, 2009, 09:38 AM
This is what it says:

[ Server Alias ]
[ irc.trillian.com::6667 ]
[ Nickname ]
[ Username ]
[ User Info ]

What should I type in there and where should I type in #ps0 ?

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 09:46 AM
So for instance when I go to Trilliam and go to Identities & Connections, and then Add a IRC connection, I fill in this info -

Phantasy Star Zero (this can be anything)
irc.efnet.org
parabolee (use your own name)
parabolee
parabolee

Yes I just put "parabolee" for username, Nickname and user info.

Now once you are connected and at the main Trillian screen click the Blue ORB icon and select JOIN A CHANNEL, then join #ps0

Take a look at this guide for more help (just change the irc. to irc.efnet.org an the channel to #ps0).

http://suprbay.org/showthread.php?t=900

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 09:48 AM
Ooops board error caused me to double post by mistake. ignore.

Frokko
Jan 7, 2009, 09:49 AM
I have succed now, thanx parabolee, and see you on the channel :)

BBonez
Jan 7, 2009, 02:08 PM
I am unable to connect to anything x_X It's my damn firewall and I don't know how to configure it. I tried playing around with it but to no avail. Damn my Zone Alarm! Keeps blocking!

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 02:43 PM
Don't know much about ZoneAlarm, but can't you specify it to allow some programs through. Just allow Trillian (or mIRC or whetever your trying to use).

I use BitDefender which is stubborn as hell with the firewall but I had no problems.

Ultie
Jan 7, 2009, 02:48 PM
you can, zone alarm would ask you if you want this program to acces the internet and trusted zone before it lets it. you got to select yes when it asks or manually add it/edit it from the list in options.

BBonez
Jan 7, 2009, 03:06 PM
I allowed mIRC into the trusted zone and everything but it still won't connect. It keeps trying to reconnect but Zone Alarm keeps blocking it for whatever reason I don't understand. I shutdown Zone Alarm before and I connected to the server but I'm not going to shut off Zone Alarm just to connect to the channel ><

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 03:12 PM
I would try Trillian. I think it has a much cleaner interface than mIRC anyway. And there is a good guide on here on how to set it up.

BBonez
Jan 7, 2009, 03:29 PM
Trillian was the first one I tried xD It didn't work so I tried chatzilla and mIRC and they all haven't worked. It's my ZoneAlarm and I can't figure out how to configure it even though I've played with it for awhile >_>

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think I found the answer for you -

Go to: IM Security - Settings - Advanced - Uncheck Block IRC.

Found here -

http://trout.snt.utwente.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=88325&site_id=1#import

BBonez
Jan 7, 2009, 03:36 PM
It works! Thanks alot, you've been a huge help xD

parabolee
Jan 7, 2009, 03:41 PM
It works! Thanks alot, you've been a huge help xD

That's what I'm here for :-D

The more people use the IRC the better it is for all of us that wanna play PSZ online with others.

monokoma
Jan 7, 2009, 09:29 PM
You dont even need to download a program to access the mIRC Channel, you can just use this browser-client: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/

Easy ^^ Just choose the right server (Efnet) and #

parabolee
Jan 8, 2009, 09:06 AM
You dont even need to download a program to access the mIRC Channel, you can just use this browser-client: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/

Easy ^^ Just choose the right server (Efnet) and #

Thanks, added to the guide.

parabolee
Jan 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
I really think this deserves to be stickied, should I PM a MOD?

parabolee
Feb 6, 2009, 12:30 PM
Time for a bump. This thread is far too useful to be lost!

Wadezo419
Feb 15, 2009, 10:00 PM
for sum reason I can't find #ps0 in Efnet :[

Wadezo419
Feb 16, 2009, 12:53 AM
nvm lol i found it, bt yea, everyone needs to check out this channel, I found a game rite away :] even played one with Parabolee

_Vyser_
Feb 16, 2009, 03:56 PM
Good idea. I'll have to set this up when I get some free time.

mikeymemphis
Mar 5, 2009, 09:53 PM
for some reason it wont let me stay connected to irc in trillian? umm help! and what chat do i join, once i have everything all filled out?

mikeymemphis
Mar 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
nvm fixed it and lame the channel isnt dedicated anymore

PaladinRPG
Mar 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
Always nice to see IRC getting the love. Maybe I'll swing by sometime to chat (no game yet unfortunately).

parabolee
Mar 27, 2009, 08:17 AM
nvm fixed it and lame the channel isnt dedicated anymore

What do you mean the channel isn't dedicated anymore? In there myself now, everything looks good. There are 16 people in there!

Since the US release is almost upon us, thought I would bump this thread as a reminder.

Once again time to bump this thread. I really think this should be pinned.

See you all online soon, and hopefully in the IRC to set up online games.

Midorishinai
Nov 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
Using Chatzilla, used command /attach irc.efnet.org/ps0 and it says showing channel or something like that but don't see anyone chatting.

any ideas?

Waki Miko Syamemaru!
Nov 12, 2009, 01:08 AM
I popped on IRC for a bit today. Everyone was on playin and I was jealous as hell. Meanies!

parabolee
Nov 12, 2009, 10:37 AM
Not sure about Chatzilla. Sorry never used it. May I suggest truing Mibbit, it's VERY easy to use and really as good as most IRC programs now.

Peelbash
Nov 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
"Cracked or gtfo"? Wuzzat?

parabolee
Nov 12, 2009, 12:54 PM
Apparently those of us wanting to use our Japanese saves in the US version have to use the "cracked rom" or we can't play online with other carts.

That message is to make sure no people with uncracked rom and trying to play with others. Because they will not be able to connect to some people and it causes all sorts of confusion.

The IRC does not support piracy, and normally sharing or linking to roms will get you banned. But the mod made an exception for those bringing Japanese saves into US.

Although I have to say I think the headline is a little confusing. Almost as if the IRC is only for people playing the ROM. This is not the case, simply that anyone trying to use the IRC with a unhacked ROM is unwelcome as it will just cause endless issue's with not being able to connect with SOME people (we have no idea why it only effects some).

People who have purchased the game and are using the original cart or cracked rom (for using JPN save) are welcome. Pirates, hackers and cheaters are not!

Evicous
Nov 12, 2009, 08:25 PM
Those were PG? I'd show those to a 6-year-old, unless you posted some after the first 4 you posted.

War_Child
Nov 12, 2009, 11:16 PM
Note: If you're going to delete this too, at least PM me and tell me why. Or email me ([email protected]). It's not like I'm some nub who's going to flip out. After 8 years of hanging around it's going to take more than that.

Deleting posts about ops being racist and weird now? o_o How welcoming.. but if it was for uncensored wording..

1) Why are ops calling people a famous derogatory word that starts with n rhymes with "tigger" and refers to black people, for linking phantasy star pictures o_o

2) Or a famous derogatory word that starts with f rhymes with "tag it" and refers to gay people?

Not trying to defame the channel or anything, but it's a little silly o_o please chill out

parabolee
Nov 13, 2009, 09:54 AM
I'm confused! Did I miss something???

I saw no pictures and am unaware of any racist or bigoted activity in the IRC. Or are you talking about this thread? And who deleted your posts? And what for?

Please enlighten me to what I have missed here. Who do you mean when you say "ops"?

Gryph
Nov 13, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'm confused! Did I miss something???

I saw no pictures and am unaware of any racist or bigoted activity in the IRC. Or are you talking about this thread? And who deleted your posts? And what for?

Please enlighten me to what I have missed here. Who do you mean when you say "ops"?

He's referring to two separate things.

1: One of the ops in #ps0 kicked, called him the two words he alludes to in his post, then temp banned him from the channel. All for posting links to regular pictures of racaseals.

2: He posted a transcript of the comments in this thread, since it's the only place on here about the channel. That post was then deleted, without the mod sending him a pming about his reason for doing so.

parabolee
Nov 13, 2009, 03:40 PM
Really?! Weird.

And when you say "ops" you mean IRC channel mods? They called him a homosexual N word? I find this event hard to believe.

War Child, want to PM me the details, including the pics and the transcript?

Thanks

girugamarc
Nov 13, 2009, 05:21 PM
Really?! Weird.

And when you say "ops" you mean IRC channel mods? They called him a homosexual N word? I find this event hard to believe.

War Child, want to PM me the details, including the pics and the transcript?

Thanks

believe it, whoever was OP at the time was an ass. Happened to me as well, War_Child

except I did absolutely nothing. I mean seriously, nothing

was banned last night and I'm still banned now -shrugs-

War_Child
Nov 13, 2009, 05:28 PM
happened to me as well <_>

idr who the OP was, but pretty much the same thing happened to me

and for no reason xD

The OP's name was JP. I am pming details now. Thank you kindly for your attention :)

Dhylec
Nov 13, 2009, 06:02 PM
Let's keep what's on IRC on IRC. Mixing things up can be confusing. PSOW has no association or responsibility with what going on in the channel.
If you have problem with the channel ops or channel mods, PM them & keep things between yourselves. Because openly flaming another member on PSOW will be edited & warned for rule violation.

Whitewarrior52
Nov 13, 2009, 10:15 PM
Since I now have the game I might as well check this IRC channel out. Probably won't jump in till maybe tomorrow or Sunday.

Chozobill
Nov 14, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the IRC guide. Hope to have some games with people soon!

Evicous
Nov 14, 2009, 02:30 PM
irc.umich.edu: (notice) To complete your connection to this server, type "/QUOTE PONG :cookie", where cookie is the following ascii.

Someone want to explain this one to me?

girugamarc
Nov 14, 2009, 05:54 PM
Let's keep what's on IRC on IRC. Mixing things up can be confusing. PSOW has no association or responsibility with what going on in the channel.
If you have problem with the channel ops or channel mods, PM them & keep things between yourselves. Because openly flaming another member on PSOW will be edited & warned for rule violation.

well it's still BS to advertise some irc channel with some shady OP that bans people for no reason :-?

War_Child
Nov 14, 2009, 06:03 PM
well it's still BS to advertise some irc channel with some shady OP that bans people for no reason :-?

It's been handled. Let it go >_>

On that note, for people who can't find #ps0 in a channel list, typing
/join #ps0

Seems to work for any clients I have used. Also much quicker than searching a list.

And there seems to be some confusion in the following situation:
1) A bunch of people "quit" at the same time with the quit message saying (some server 1) (some server 2)
2) Eventually they all return at the same time.

This is an event known as a net split, and it happens from time to time. If it happens be patient :3

girugamarc
Nov 14, 2009, 06:09 PM
It's been handled. Let it go >_>

On that note, for people who can't find #ps0 in a channel list, typing
/join #ps0

oh, I couldn't tell because it still says I'm banned =x

War_Child
Nov 14, 2009, 06:12 PM
Another information tidbit, the channel has a bot run by retrohead. It has the following commands to make party making easier:

!fcadd <ps0name> <fc>
Add your friend code to the database against your IRC nick name.
example: !fcadd SPACEY 0000 0000 0000

!fcupdate <ps0name> <fc>
Update your friend code to the database against your IRC nick name.
example: !fcupdate SPACEY 0000 0000 0000

!fcdel
Delete your friend code from the database.
example: !fcdel

!fcsearch <irc or ps0 name>
Search for someones code in the database either by IRC nick name or PS0 name. Returns 3 results max.
example: !fcsearch SPACEY
example: !fcsearch retro

!hosting
Show your status as hosting a game. Repeat the command to return to idle status.
example: !hosting

!playing
Show your status as playing a game. Repeat the command to return to idle status.
example: !playing SPACEY

!hosts
List the hosts currently active.
example: !hosts

!vending <limit>
List the known vending codes for the sewer. Limit is optional and will return 100 results max
example: !vending
example: !vending 20

!vendadd <code>:<name>
Add a vending code to the database.
example: !vendadd 4841-9476:V Jump Shield

!vendupdate <code>:<name>
Update a vending code's name in the database.
example: !vendupdate 4841-9476:V Jump Shield

!venddel <code>
Delete a vending code from the database.
example: !venddel 4841-9476

Dhylec
Nov 14, 2009, 06:51 PM
Again, bring it to the people in charge of the channel. Complaining it here won't help, since it means we, PSOW staff, have to stepping in to take care of the matter.

To keep goodwill in the forum, I'll close this thread to dissipate the tension. If you or anyone need help with the IRC channel, contact War_Child for assistance.