PDA

View Full Version : life is so cruel... poor lil me...

SorceressofTime
Feb 7, 2003, 07:32 AM
yep, a rant from me. about what you ask? how shit my life is right now. yep. it sucks, big time. why? because of the pressure from school, friends, family problems and personal problems... all wrapped in one pissed off person. me.

you know what i loathe? when i look at people's excellent talents in drawing pics. it makes me wanna crawl in a endless dark hole and bury myself while i cry. i try so hard to draw something i'm imagining, and then i see more pictures from people on the net looking 10x better than mine, when i'm also occupied with school and problems! >< when i do say something relating to art, or even have the topic in my head, i get depressed. depression is bad, especially at night. just don't do what some people i know have done.

i've got issues, we all do. but mine happen to be more serious now (though i won't tell exactly what they are) then it was before. more serious. and the friends part. oh yes. being ignored by someone who used to be your best friend until two new people came into thieir life and took away the close friendship. i keep my distance from people now because everyone else i know don't happen to have much in common with me; besides only around the 3 or 4 people - not family members. i have lots of friends, but i really would want is to have close friendships with other people... but the way it's going, at my school, that won't happen because they're all girls. >< the problem is that i have more things in common with guys.

another thing i absolutely hate: is being critisized, or being jealous of other people. that's a big thing in my life that happens all the time.

*sighs* ahhh... guess i'm like this cause of all the stress and lack of sleep i've gotten (insomnia... grrrr...)... and also probably cause this is true and works me up. *shrugs*

BlackRose
Feb 7, 2003, 09:51 AM
That's rough news; I was in a similar situation a few years ago... not a happy memory. I pulled through though, and I'm sure you will too. =)

My ICQ's down there, if you ever need a vent...

rayner
Feb 7, 2003, 10:23 AM
I had a similar story regarding my closest friend. When I was 17 my best friend of 11 years was going out with this girl and she was totally controling every aspect of his life. She didn't like me much and she always tried to have him hang around with her friends as much as possible.

He never had any pooty-tang before so when she gave him some I was never able to hang out with him again. He would always give me excuses when I wanted to hang out. I know it was her that didn't want him to be around me... Dam beotch!! I was down for awhile. Like it was me or something, but it was just his girlfriend. If it wasn't for that though I wouldn't have met my current best friend of 10 years lol

I have so much more in common with my new best frined and his wife is cool with me. We recently have been taking up Archery... a great way to relieve stress http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

The moral of the story... sometimes things happen for a reason... you won't know at first but just hang in there. Keep your head high and don't let anyone keep you down http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KodiaX987
Feb 7, 2003, 11:42 AM
I managed to avoid the close relationship problems by becoming an antisocial son of a bitch. People don't get attached too much to a son of a bitch, makes friends-in friends-out processes a lot easier to go through.

Sure, it's a bit hard but at least the extent of the damage is a lot smaller.

pixelate
Feb 7, 2003, 03:04 PM
On 2003-02-07 04:32, SorceressofTime wrote:
you know what i loathe? when i look at people's excellent talents in drawing pics. it makes me wanna crawl in a endless dark hole and bury myself while i cry. i try so hard to draw something i'm imagining, and then i see more pictures from people on the net looking 10x better than mine, when i'm also occupied with school and problems! >< when i do say something relating to art, or even have the topic in my head, i get depressed. depression is bad, especially at night. just don't do what some people i know have done.

OK, I hear people saying this a lot. They think their work is crap because it doesn't look like everyone elses. I did the same thing for a long time. It got to the point that I stopped art completely. But, you know, you don't have to turn out drawings that look like everyone elses. Actually, you shouldn't be turning out drawings that look like everyone elses. If you do, then you're just copying. It means a lot more if you can develop your own style. To develop your own style, yea, you have to look at other people's work, but if you give it some time, you'll have your own style that other people will be trying to copy.

the problem is that i have more things in common with guys.

I had the same thinking for a while but in the opposite way. I thought I had more in common with girls than guys. But then I started to open up to guys. I made a conscious effort to get to know them, to understand them, and to let them get to know me. I can only say to give 'em a chance and see what happens.

another thing i absolutely hate: is being critisized, or being jealous of other people. that's a big thing in my life that happens all the time.

You're always going to be judged and criticized. You have to get used to it, because not everyone's going to be nice and hold their tongue. I'm an art student. I get criticism all the time. People tell me all the bad things about my work. By being told all the bad things, you can then figure out the good things.

Kasera
Feb 7, 2003, 03:42 PM
Criticism can help you strive to be better. Criticism is also only one or so people's opinion(s). You can't please the world and there's no reason in trying. Thing I've learned about art (mostly musicianship) is to just do what you are happy with. There are those who will see your vision and others who won't.

Nidarrock
Feb 7, 2003, 04:13 PM
The ups and downs of life can be very, very rough. Having gone through school, college, family issues, and marrige(not through but in) with a daughter. It's not easy and will never be. I know that's not encouraging but bear with the rough times because there are plenty good times to be had. I've dealt with best friends coming and going. Similar to Rubicon's, only I did get my best friend back. As for art, if you feel you can draw well, then keep at it. I know I feel like my stuff will never be any good, but that's when I churn something out that is amazing(to me anyway). Also use your emotions to help draw, I do. I took criticism poorly(in art classes) the first few times. But I worked harder and listened to what they said. Sometimes they were right and sometimes they were wrong. Art is in the eye of the beholder, don't agree with someone's opinion...ignore it. Right now life is fairly difficult, for me and my family. More scary than anything really. I hope something in there helps a little. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif Just smile.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nidarrock on 2003-02-07 13:18 ]</font>

gunome
Feb 7, 2003, 07:05 PM
cheer up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif this is my view *steps back* any form of art takes time and effort. all my life ive always wanted to be able draw, but i never could very well. id see somethin in my head, and not even come close to getting. id jus stop and give up, and i was convinced that drawing was a raw talent that i did not posses. i watched friends draw amazing pictures with ease and say well ill never do that. so i turned to peotry and music etc.

however recently, say the last year, i have greatly improved my drawing skills. and i figured out that just lik eanything else, you just have to do it ALOT. you know, practice makes perfect. that and i started really getting into anime, but i noticed that jus from watching DBZ everyday all the sudden i could draw faces in DBZ style. it wasnt very good by far but i blew myself away, like i learned it threw osmosis lol. and since im in a band, i have also see my minor drawing skills go back to crap from lack of use. so jus keep at it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gifeveryone was begining at sometime

i try to make connections between my different forms of art. in poetry and writing and most art, i like there to be this randomness about the creation process. like at that moment I was feeling this certain way, which caused me to create that piece of art and im leaving it that way. so i just start drawing, dont know what, i just start with a face and go. most of the time its crap and i stop(im no artist lol)but i have made many drawings i am really proud of.

but the key is to make it all about what YOU like and love because whatever you create is a part of you. YOU have to be able to accept it first before you can change it. you dont have to show to anyone. wait till you do something your proud of and show to your mom. thats what i do lol. she loves em but im not looking for her to tell me if its good or bad, i jus wanna sho someone thatll appreciate it.

great artists are great because they re overall focus in life is art. they live and breath it, i think if you're not willing to give your whole self to it, you cant expect that much out of it. pso has stolen my soul and i hav greatly neglected my musical pursuits for 2 years now.i consider myself a depressed person, but i am good at observing myself and my thougths and feelings, and cope. i get more depessed each tim ei think about time wasted...but at the same time music and poetry are the only things keeping me going (i dont believe in god).

i kno its jus one more weight added to your other pressures but dont let art get you down. arts purpose is to uplift and inspire, others art should make you that much more anxious to start practicing your drawing. dont take it as a sign t quit. use drawing as an outlet for your other problems. jus concentrate on the art and forget about your life for that lil time. i TRUELY believe there is no such thing as bad art. i tell myself this all the time, becasue i have to, otherwise id be dead by now. it makes me happy jus to do music and drawing and if i can never sho the world oh well, i was still happy.

seeing other people depreesed always makes me depressed cause i kno how it is. nothing anyone can say will change your thinking, you just have to find out for yourself. i feel lucky because iv managed to deal with my depressions, even tho still ongoing.
art imitates life, and both take a great deal of effort to get right ,but the more you try the easier it gets http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif IM me if ya eva need to talk or a shoulder http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif itlll get better i promise

editors note:some poems etc of mine are in the fanworks section http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AdamW
Feb 7, 2003, 10:13 PM
Yeah, well, people suck. You'd best just look out for number one because no one else will.

Ness
Feb 8, 2003, 08:54 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself. I've seen your art and it's actually pretty good.

SorceressofTime
Feb 9, 2003, 07:59 AM
thanks everyone for listening to my ranting. ^_^ *wipes a tear away from her eye*

i guess everyone who likes to draw goes through what i'm going through in the beginning, or during it. i admit now, that i've improved in my skills as i compare my works from two years ago with recent drawings from the past few days. it's just that when i see other people's art, i get so jealous and depressed. we all know how that's like.
so... i take days off drawing in total and have a break. later i find that i've gotten much better than before, and so on.

it's really a pitty that i'm having difficulty with designing a website for my art and also cging with photoshop (cause it takes up a lot of my time) my new pics because i'm pretty proud of the newer ones. i haven't at all gone to any drawing classes, i just watch something and copy what comes into my mind. i'm sure many of you do this. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif and now, i bought a book about drawing manga, and this really helped a lot - with proportions and putting more detail into pics.

ahhh, it just irritates me when i think my work is shit (which i do a lot), but then, i have to consider that i don't live on drawing. i do much more activities than that (like playing instruments, studying, karate, and much more) http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

...hmm.. i better here now bacause then i will go on and on.. and hurt your poor little eyes. <3

hollowtip
Feb 10, 2003, 01:19 AM
Quality is the uniqueness of your art. Like someone said previously, if your art looked like someone elses, you lose that uniqueness that made it yours. Great artists make their own rules and break others.

Although some artists are more gifted than others, and there's nothing you can do to change that. Their creativeness and ideas may come easier, but hard work and dedication can make someone who isn't as gifted excel past the more fortunate individuals.

I play JUCO basketball (transfering to major D1 hopefully next year) and I've been given a 6'9 stature. Statistically, taller players are more successful in basketball in general, but there are successful shorter players that still succeed and excel because they work hard and dedicate themselves to the game (Allen Iverson, Jason Kidd, Bobby Jackson). I guess what I'm trying to say is that other people have natural tallents and gifts they have been given, but all the obstacles that impede your progress throughout life, you can bypass if the love for the game (or art in your case) outweighs the fear of failure.

RuneLateralus
Feb 10, 2003, 01:28 AM
Drawing is, and always, been the hardest thing for me to do and judge myself on. But then again, the person who creates it is also the worst critic at time.

I tried to draw in different styles, and no matter what came out, I judged it based on what I saw others do. However, despite what I thought of it, I found that people did appreciate some of the very rough drawing or even works you might think are terrible.

Like what everyone said, just practice it. Practice will allow you to do better and to find your own style. It can take a while to find it, but in the end it can worth it.

Just try to keep it up and not get too occupied with things. If other things get in the way, you can struggle with your after not doing it for so long. It happened to me last summer and even into this semester and it really hurt my skills.

Deathscythealpha
Feb 10, 2003, 03:45 PM
Dont compare your work to others, as you will always be putting your own down. Find your own little niche and stick with it. You may think your work isnt that good, but there will be others that do.

I suggest posting your work up in the fan works forum. Everyone there is helpful, they will tell you if your work is good and how to improove it, there all really nice guys and girls.

As with your friend, thats how things go. Friends come and go, ive lost loads of friends. My best friend totally blanked me out when i left school, so i just thought screw him. If you want to find good friends, wait till you get to college. People on your course will most definatly have something in common with you as theyve chosen the same course as you and after awhile youll probably find you have stronger connections with them (i know i do). Be yourself and people should like you.

I hope ive helped, and i hope you start to feel better about yourself.

Blenjar
Feb 10, 2003, 04:26 PM
On 2003-02-10 12:45, Deathscythealpha wrote:
Dont compare your work to others.
I hope ive helped, and i hope you start to feel better about yourself.

Be a little selfish, it good sometimes but not all times.

RedFox
Feb 10, 2003, 06:14 PM
On 2003-02-07 19:13, AdamW wrote:
Yeah, well, people suck. You'd best just look out for number one because no one else will.

couldnt have put it better myself

im going through a really hard time too at the moment (again) an lemme tell you that the depression does eventually stop, no matter how hard it gets

CGoodness
Feb 20, 2003, 11:49 PM
Im sorry because this has basically nothing to do with this topic but are you people like all adults? Everyone is either like a "student" which I am assume is like college, or married or with a significant other. It may just be me though. I'm only a teenager.

SorceressofTime
Feb 22, 2003, 09:50 AM
On 2003-02-20 20:49, CGoodness wrote:
Im sorry because this has basically nothing to do with this topic but are you people like all adults? Everyone is either like a "student" which I am assume is like college, or married or with a significant other. It may just be me though. I'm only a teenager.

ah dont worry, you're not alone. many of us here are teenagers and i'm only 16 turning 17 later this year.

Daikarin
Feb 22, 2003, 10:25 AM
I like your artwork a lot. It's very different from mine, and just looking at your sig makes me wonder why you feel jealousy, because no one starts as pros. I CRY when I look back at my original drawings of New Ultimate and Rei! But that also makes me understand something. If she/he is dedicated and likes expressing him/herself on the paper, that person can only evolve in drawing, your skills can NEVER get worse. And try to feel pleased about your art more often! If you don't, when you reach the perfect level you'll never be satisfied!

Another thing, about friends. Understand that friends come and go, the real ones will never forget you. And don't worry about keeping your distance, I do that too. Nowadays there are people who only have tastes in order to be considered "normal". I tell you that the most interesting people I know are very introverted and shy. Whether they're boys or girls. Sometimes you're better off alone, altough I understand your lack of close friendships. On that I can only tell you (aside from searching friends with similar tastes as yours) to be yourself, so that real friends can find you.

I'm stressed too, and that can be because of my social loneliness. The remedy? Hmm... Living a false friendship with those you don't have similarities with can heal stress, but that would be living a lie, so you're right about keeping your distance. But doesn't that make you feel alone? Talk to anyone, anybody. If they aren't similar to yourself, don't worry. Human beings are made to interact with each other... even if nobody's perfect.

I know what you mean in everything, I was feeling the same exact thing last year. I don't know many girls, but I lack the female sense of ethic, because most of my friends are macho dudes who don't have the same view points as mine. But even so, by interacting with those guys whom I thought that weren't like me made me realise that everyone is special, in a certain way. They don't have the same tastes as me, but screw it, I can't become excluded.
When they don't have the same viewpoints about me, I stop the chat right that and keep playing MY game.
You should see the city where I live, where individuality is constantly teased.

So, try a little to feel good about yourself. I mean, everyone ELSE does... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Best wishes

CGoodness
Feb 22, 2003, 09:43 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-02-20 20:49, CGoodness wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorceressoftime wrote:

ah dont worry, you're not alone. many of us here are teenagers and i'm only 16 turning 17 later this year.

Yea, but thats just it, I'm only gonna be 14 but not 'till November. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif