PDA

View Full Version : Today, in the wasteland...

SpikeOtacon
Dec 30, 2008, 11:47 PM
http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq60/mcmanmeat/Left4Bread/pipinvis.png
Some minor spoilers ahead. Hold on tight, kids! It starts off a little quick.

[spoiler-box]I was given a letter to deliver, and on my way I discovered the family was murdered with bite marks. Then I found out it might have been the work of a gang called "The Family" and I sent out after them. Only I ran into some people that wanted me dead thanks to a hit taken on me by someone. Then I went through a complex underground tunnel system to end up in the metro-train tracks. Eventually I wound up in an underground HQ for The Family, and as it turns out they were a bunch of cannibals gathering together to prevent them from being looked down upon. I walked in during a preach service by their leader, and at first they seemed pissed but they later warmed up to me. Turns out they had the son of the family that was murdered in the town in a room, locked and isolated in an attempt to brainwash him into being one of them.

When I talked to him he actually said he liked the taste of blood before they captured him and he felt they almost knew him more than his dead family did. Then he decided to leave and go back to normal civilization, after which I gave him the letter his sister wrote.

Then as I was traveling back from the town on the bridge to Megaton to tell the sister everything that happened, I heard shots and saw a flash from the road ahead. I moved forward carefully only to have the hill I was coming over erupt with bullet marks and dirt flying in the air. I tucked and rolled to the side and moved to a better spot to watch. I saw an old Bed and Breakfast with raiders and scavengers holed up in there with machine guns and shotguns, firing at men in armor suits. The armored men ignored me despite the fact that I came from behind them, but the scavengers took great pleasure in adding me to their target list.

At first I thought about retreating, but the massive armor clad gents were outnumbered greatly, so I decided to offer my help. I drew my Chinese manufactured assault rifle, an old rusty bucket of shit held together by duct tape and scrap metal I found around the wasteland. I took count of how many targets: 5, all in the derelict building ahead. I hid behind the armored men as cover, and as they got closer I broke off from behind them and flanked the side of the building, a blind spot they could not see me running to because of the design of the building. I noticed a ramp leading up to the second floor, crudely made out of planks and superglue with some random metal struts for support. I knelt down as I crept up, and I found that I could see all 5 targets from where I was standing.

I heard my metallic friends yelling and then heard the fire of another energy weapon. The scavengers were starting to move backwards. This was the only chance I had to get them good.

I rigged a device earlier in the week, a cute little ditty using 3 bottle caps as a fuse and an explosive device rigged to a metal lunchbox. A small sensor inside of the box would detect movement after a short grace period from being turned on, and trigger the explosive. I opened it up carefully, cringing at the squeak it made from the weathered material. The mechanism inside seemed intact, so I activated the switch and closed the lid, clamping it shut. The click was just a little too loud, and one of the scavengers turned to look.

In a panic, I slid the lunchbox towards the bastards. The look on the face of the one that spotted me was one of confusion, until it got close enough for him to hear the beeping noise. Just as it began to distort into fear, the explosive activated. Chunks of flesh and wood and weapon scattered everywhere, the bodies of the scavengers going limp and slouching to the ground or falling out of the window perch they used to assault the armored guards. I took my Chinese assault rifle and held it at my waist, kicking each dead body and inspecting the bodies for ammo or food or something useful I could use or sell off. I looked out the window and saw the armored giants reloading their weapons, but appeared to be somewhat at ease. I saw one of their kind dead, laying face up at the scorched sun. I went back down the ramp, separating the ammo I found into separate pockets and munching on the Mirelurk meat I obtained from the scavengers' bodies.

I approached the surviving metal monstrosities with caution. The two remaining turned to look at me. Their armors were pockmarked and worn, obviously having been through multiple users and more battles than I have fingers and toes to count. With my rifle at my side, I waved, to show them I had no intent on firing. The two turned and stood fully towards me now, their weapons lowered. I approached them and asked them what they were doing in such a place, as I have never seen them, or this area, before.

They told me they once belonged to the "Brotherhood of Steel", a secret group of which they would not speak of for their own personal reasons. They were exiled from the group, and were now wandering the wasteland looking for a place to go. They went over to a pile of electronic junk and began to lift it up. I went over and as I got closer I noticed that the pile was actually a protectron personal protection robot. I lifted its head out of the ruined soil and the three of us stood it upright. They flipped a switch in the back and it came to life, zipping through a quick boot sequence before turning to me and asking me to move along. The two brotherhood members looked at me and, without a word, started walking down the decimated street heading southeast towards Rivet City. Their robot clanked down the road behind them at a much slower pace. As I saw them head off into the distance, I decided to run after them.

When I caught up I noticed the sun was setting, and the wasteland was speckled with dying light. I don't know what they were going to do or where they were going, but they did not mind my company or attack me as I went along with them.

After an hour of walking I saw a strange playground made out of fake UFO and Rocket Ship obstacles up ahead. Before the war, people had odd tastes, that's for sure.

As I walked forward with my brothers of the wasteland, I imagined the UFO and Rocket Ship doing battle with each other, firing neon colored lasers and hitting the brotherhood of steel member in the chest, killing him instantly.

Wait.

What the fuck?!

There were pink lasers firing from that UFO! The other brotherhood member and I ducked down. We looked at each other and he pointed towards a ditch that would take us out of the line of fire. I nodded, and we both picked up and ran. We loaded our guns and took aim at the UFO playplace. The lasers weren't coming, but the other brotherhood of steel member was certainly dead, his armor pierced and melted from an energy projectile. I tossed a grenade over the ditch towards the UFO.

BANG!

My silent friend peeked his head above the ditch line, and I slowly stood up to see what damage was done. Before my knees fully locked into place, another pink laser came shooting from the now ruins of the UFO, and struck the guy next to me directly in the face. His body went limp, and my hope for survival went down with him. Before I shot back down I caught a glimpse of what it was that attacked us: It was a much larger defense robot.

I gripped another grenade and threw it as I crouched down, and I heard metal hit metal.

A series of explosions sounded, and when the dirt finished falling and brushing the air, I peeked up again. Apparently my grenade directly hit and the robot had exploded into various pieces around the area. If only I could have done that two seconds ago.

I moved towards the road and heard a clanking coming from the direction I had come from with our friends. It was the protectron that my friends had. It was still marching forward, and as it approached me it stopped for a moment to say

"Move along, please."

And then continue on its merry little way. I watched it for a moment before I grew tired of seeing its pathetic waddle. I headed off towards Megaton, so I could tell Lucy West about the cannibal brother she had, the death of her parents, and finally sleep in my own bed. [/spoiler-box]

Shadowpawn
Dec 31, 2008, 12:13 AM
A++, would read again.

Moo2u
Dec 31, 2008, 01:21 AM
Did you listen to cool jazz all the way?

Tessu
Dec 31, 2008, 01:28 AM
A++, would read again.

^
|
|
|

I didn't get it, but that's usual for me... however, you have spectacular writing and vividly described what was going on. ;3

it wuss gud.

Leviathan
Dec 31, 2008, 03:01 AM
I enjoyed it very much.
I anticipate a part 2.

Lance813
Dec 31, 2008, 11:13 AM
Haha, nice. :wacko:

Out_Kast
Jan 2, 2009, 03:10 PM
Would YOU kill YOUR parents for a mouthfull of blood?