PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Tower, does it ever end?

uo0v
Jan 1, 2009, 07:54 AM
So I just did the Eternal Tower for the first time... worst. quest. ever.

Although I did love the amount of material I got :-D

edit: thanks for the extremely necessary title change, mod!!

darkante
Jan 1, 2009, 08:04 AM
Yes, i hate that quest with a huge passion.
And itīs 101 floors on top of that.

uo0v
Jan 1, 2009, 08:43 AM
I'm curious what exactly they were thinking... "hmm, i got an idea! let's make them grind the same three rooms for a couple hours straight and throw in a boss every 10 floors.. ya that will be fun!"

darkante
Jan 1, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm curious what exactly they were thinking... "hmm, i got an idea! let's make them grind the same three rooms for a couple hours straight and throw in a boss every 10 floors.. ya that will be fun!"

Yeah exactly, the idea might have sounded great in their head.
But i doubt they actually have given a second thought to it.

30 Floors had easiely been sufficient ,IMO, itīs not exactly hard.
Just mind torturing after that.

Even worse when they decided to make it a MUST TO BEAT quest thing to get Super Hard in Story mode, and then you have to all other Hard quests as well.
Itīs just plain idiotic.

Shiroyu
Jan 1, 2009, 10:57 AM
The least they could have done was allow people to play it multiplayer, but noooo.

Amherst_Wind
Jan 1, 2009, 11:11 AM
I must be the only person that enjoyed it. o_o
Seriously its not that bad, it gives you a sense of accomplishment as you get further and the changing view out of the windows and the view at the top was pretty awesome. Not to mention the loot and the chance of ANY rare enemy appearing.

...also theres a slight sense of irony in fans of Phantasy Star complaining about having to grind the same area over and over. ^_^;

monokoma
Jan 1, 2009, 11:28 AM
I had to play the Eternal Tower quest for 3 days on & off (thanks to the DS sleep-mode) to finish it. Ok, it was almost fun, and i got lot's of EXP and RAREs, but... it was really too much long. You cant even play online untill you complete it, or you'll have to start it all over again. Probably i spent about 8 hours in HARD in the Eternal Tower. I wonder if they are going change this quest in the english version.

darkante
Jan 1, 2009, 12:13 PM
Seriously its not that bad, it gives you a sense of accomplishment as you get further and the changing view out of the windows and the view at the top was pretty awesome. Not to mention the loot and the chance of ANY rare enemy appearing.

...also theres a slight sense of irony in fans of Phantasy Star complaining about having to grind the same area over and over. ^_^;

Irony in it? I donīt mind grinding as long i donīt have to fear losing all the progress done in a quest! Thatīs partly why itīs mind torturing.
IT`S TOO DAMN LONG.

uo0v
Jan 1, 2009, 12:21 PM

It's too heavy on the repetitive grinding side, they could have done better. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it at times, seems like a good place to farm.. But yeah, like darkante said.. it's too damn long ^^;

Though I'm sure some crazed pso fanboy will have a ball with it.

Mike
Jan 2, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have to agree with Sodandy. The first 20 levels are a drag but once you get up to the levels with windows, it gets a bit more barable. It's not hard, just long. The lack of rare blocks is also unfortunate.

uo0v
Jan 2, 2009, 09:20 AM
The first 20 levels are a drag but once you get up to the levels with windows, it gets a bit more barable.

yea, windows are always nice.

the_importer_
Jan 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
Does the DS have enough battery life for such a quest 0_o ?

monokoma
Jan 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
Does the DS have enough battery life for such a quest 0_o ?

No... i had to recharge my DS Lite for 2 times before finishing the last quest.

Dragwind
Jan 2, 2009, 01:09 PM
No... i had to recharge my DS Lite for 2 times before finishing the last quest.

:lol:

I guess that's a quest best staying near an electrical outlet for.

Callous
Jan 3, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'm on day 2 of the quest now and am currently approaching the 60th floor. I hope to wrap it up sometime today so I can enjoy offline v.hard.

My feelings on it are mixed. I think the environment itself is one of the best in the game. It feels very close to the atmosphere of the levels from PSO and once you reach the windowed areas it is downright gorgeous. I also enjoy the grinding and the sense of accomplishment reaching the top and unlocking v.hard will give me, but I think 50 floors with a view change every ten floors would have sufficed. I also wish they'd have included a shorter version of this to be playable once you unlock v.hard. Maybe 10 floors with a new view every floor, possibility of rare blocks and maybe with some tower specific creatures as well. It kinda sucks that if I want to play this again and feel like I finished it I'll have to go through all 100 floors. That's not very likely to happen. As such there's a potential I feel has been missed and it would have required a minimum of effort to include it.

Anyway, I'm off to conquer some more floors!

Oh, by the way, it's downright stupid that you can't use pipes in the quest. You can let yourself die which will transport you back to the city where you can stock up and so on, and after that you can carry on from the floor you died on, so I really don't see what the point is in not allowing piping. Is there a limit to how many times you can let yourself die? I died once when I actually fell asleep. Then another time on purpose just to go to my locker. Now I'm kinda worried about a "Three strikes and you're out!" deal happening.

monokoma
Jan 3, 2009, 10:52 AM
Oh, by the way, it's downright stupid that you can't use pipes in the quest. You can let yourself die which will transport you back to the city where you can stock up and so on, and after that you can carry on from the floor you died on, so I really don't see what the point is in not allowing piping. Is there a limit to how many times you can let yourself die? I died once when I actually fell asleep. Then another time on purpose just to go to my locker. Now I'm kinda worried about a "Three strikes and you're out!" deal happening.

A pipe to the city appears everytime you kill the "boss", it's in the center of the boss room (i did not notice it at first too).

and.. even if i finished this quest, i did not unlock V-HARD offline :| Maybe i need to finish ALL the offline-quests in HARD?

darkante
Jan 3, 2009, 11:09 AM
A pipe to the city appears everytime you kill the "boss", it's in the center of the boss room (i did not notice it at first too).

and.. even if i finished this quest, i did not unlock V-HARD offline :| Maybe i need to finish ALL the offline-quests in HARD?

Yes, i confirmed that in my earlier post. ;P

.newzero
Jan 3, 2009, 11:35 AM
this quest sounds like it is easy to do but extremly long. i sadly dont own a DS ;_;

Callous
Jan 3, 2009, 12:50 PM
It does? Ha. I'm on the 80th floor right now and haven't noticed that at all.

Edit: Oh by the way. I got a room in Eternal Tower with Booma and Gigobooma origins. They dropped me a tech level booster Anyone else get any rare encounters in there?

Amherst_Wind
Jan 3, 2009, 01:08 PM
It does? Ha. I'm on the 80th floor right now and haven't noticed that at all.

Edit: Oh by the way. I got a room in Eternal Tower with Booma and Gigobooma origins. They dropped me a tech level booster Anyone else get any rare encounters in there?

Yeah i got the same Booma/Gigabooma room once, plus random other rare enemy variations like the gold box version of those crabs in item boxes and the fat bird from Ozette Wetlands multiple times. No Rappies though, not even once...

DemonMike
Jan 3, 2009, 01:35 PM
Haha, I refused to use the telepipe as I presumed I'd have to start over again, oh dear, what a pain!

I'm presuming you just enter the tower as normal once you want to return and your automatically put back on the floor you were at?

Moniker
Jan 3, 2009, 03:25 PM
Yup. You get to pipe back to the city every ten floors.

BBonez
Jan 3, 2009, 04:07 PM
I just finished all 101 floors and I'm quite saddened I didn't get anything good...at all x__X All I got were lots of materials and crappy 6 star weapons.

Callous
Jan 3, 2009, 04:15 PM
I just finished it too. There were like 5 million red boxes after beating the final boss, and a few nice weapons among them. Nothing over 6 stars, though.

Contra
Jan 4, 2009, 04:57 AM
has anybody gotten through this on super hard yet? Any nice goodies?

Callous
Jan 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
Yes, I just finished that too and it opened up all the old areas from the original PSO.

Ok. None of that is actually part of the truth.

Mike
Jan 4, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, I just finished that too and it opened up all the old areas from the original PSO.

Ok. None of that is actually part of the truth.

You are very very bad.

Gemel
Jan 5, 2009, 12:17 AM
I was going to make a new thread but this ones about the Eternal Tower so it's close enough.

Anyway I played my fingers off today and beat the level on Hard, I went from level 70 to level 76 @.@
At the top there was one of those messages and one of the developers said if you pay close attention to the text then you'll see a connection between PZ0 and other Phantasy Star games.

I took a pic of that text and I tried translating it but I failed horribly so heres the text for those curious.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/Gemellemeg/Photo334.jpg

If anyone could translate this it would be awesome.

xSHiNOx
Jan 5, 2009, 12:26 AM
lol i took the same pic too but i dont want to force someone to translate it for me so yeah.

Rina Rappy
Jan 5, 2009, 09:21 AM
Well done for climbing to the the top.
To you I congratulate, challenger.
This is the top floor of the eternal tower.
Let this event be remembered forever.

I think it says something along those lines...
But I see nothing special there....

Mike
Jan 5, 2009, 06:42 PM
At the top there was one of those messages and one of the developers said if you pay close attention to the text then you'll see a connection between PZ0 and other Phantasy Star games.

This isn't the connection you're looking for. Move along. Move along.

The connection you are looking for is in another quest.

Gemel
Jan 6, 2009, 12:39 AM
Well done for climbing to the the top.
To you I congratulate, challenger.
This is the top floor of the eternal tower.
Let this event be remembered forever.

I think it says something along those lines...
But I see nothing special there....

Ah darn, well that was nice of them to say. xP

Thank yous a ton.