~ With her finger she slides across your neck ~
~ Look into her eyes, and you’ll never get back ~

~ No realm can bind her, or so it seems ~
~ She will hunt you down in flesh, soul, and dreams ~

~ By the end of this little song it’s already too late ~
~ For she’ll display your head on a bright… silver… plate ~

[The song of Óskmey, the Fallen Angel]

Welcome to this dark tome, dear reader…

This book depicts one of the most gruesome stories known to human, cast, or newman alike. In the centuries past no one can tell if this story is actually a grim fairytale or reality, but this doesn’t take away it is told in any tongue known, and by any race.

When the story actually took place is long since forgotten, it could be three thousand years ago, or maybe it just happened a day before you or your parents where born… What we do know is that some events of this story still occur in our current world and time, so remember that well as you read through this tome…

This book describes how a group of teenagers get caught up in events which reach far beyond their comprehension, with results of dire consequences not only to them, but to their whole family and village…

Maybe this story shows familiar features to someone you once met or knew, one of your relatives, one of your friends, or maybe even worse… yourself…! Either way, enjoy the read of this grim story…!

~ End introduction

Chapter 1

’’John, if you don’t wake up right this instance…!’’
’’Yeah, yeah, relax mom! Shees…’’
’’Only twenty minutes until you’re expected at the Hunter’s Guild young man!’’
’’W-What?! Couldn’t you wake me up earlier…?!’’
’’I did, but you wouldn’t budge…!’’
’’GAH! Drats, drats, DRATS!’’

John jumped out of his bed after the little conflict with his mother, and dressed himself pretty quick to get down for his breakfast. A simple dish of two slices of bread adorned his plate, both covered in jelly. A glass full of fruity juice waited next to the plate, and that would be John’s breakfast. As he began to eat his breakfast he noticed his mother was still working in the kitchen.

’’Thanks a bunch for preparing that for me mom!’’
’’Know this is the last time I’ll do it John! Every other seventeen old has to prepare his own breakfast and needs to get out of his bed in time on his own, and so should you…!’’
’’Yeah, yeah, I know mom… I’ll pay closer attention to it next time, I promise!’’
’’You’d better young man! If your father knew about this…’’
’’Heh, good thing he’s out on a mission for a few weeks then…! I still can’t wait until he returns though…!’’
’’Neither can I, but until he does we all have to give it our best.’’
’’I know. Where’s sis by the way?’’
’’Jennifer already left for the Hunter’s Guild on her own. Even though you’re twins I still can’t find any similarity you share… She’s so punctual and serious while you-’’
’’Yeah, yeah, while I am as lazy as I am big, bla bla bla… I ought to brush my teeth…’’

John quickly threw his dish and glass in the sink and ran off to his bathroom.

’’Now let’s see… pitch black hair in a spiky haircut? Check. Washed my face? Check. Place contact lenses? Check. All I have to do is brush my teeth, and I’m ready to go!’’

As John brushed his teeth he wandered off in thoughts. Everywhere his brown eyes looked, girls would faint of his gaze. He had a whole arsenal of mighty bodyguards protecting him from any harm, and he was adorned with unbelievable expensive clothing. But then again, was there anything less that the greatest hunter in existence deserved? He swung his mighty saber in the air, which was coated in gold and silver, with rubies and diamonds covering the guard of the handle. From all around the world people came to look at his greatness, and he was loved and worshipped by everyone. But all of a sudden a beautiful maiden came running up to him, her facial expression full of awe… As she came close enough she fell to both her knees while grasping John’s left leg… John looked down on her, and in despair she began to speak…

’’Are you still not finished brushing your teeth…?!’’

John snapped out of his daydream and quickly emptied his mouth in the sink as his mother’s angry voice sounded through the door.

’’Oh, just cut it out! I’ll be in time, don’t worry!’’
’’You better be mister! Don’t forget what headmaster Zarai said from the Hunter’s Guild…!’’

John swallowed. He quickly shifted his thoughts to the old veteran hunter who now led the Hunter’s Guild in the small city of Ardaan, which had become angry at him quite often… Zarai had told John that if he’d be late one more time, he’d be given the lowest rank quests from the guild’s quests list…! And John couldn’t have that happen!

’’Alright, I’ll head there faster than a scared Rappy! I’ll be in time, you have my word on it!’’
’’I don’t care for your word or not! Just be on time! I’ll be out from some groceries now, so take care!’’
’’Thanks mom, I will!’’

John gave himself a quick final look in the mirror, and then he diced to leave as well. As he turned away his vision from his own reflection in the mirror he saw something odd… Or so, he thought. In the mirror’s reflection the bathroom door was actually open, while it was shut behind John. Not only that, but a little girl about the age of twelve was looking just around the corner of the bathroom door, with very scared eyes. Her long brown hair covered half of her face, and was quite ragged, but her big scared eyes could be seen right through solid concrete if you saw them…

’’W-What the…?!’’

John quickly looked back at the mirror, but everything was fine. The bathroom door behind him was shut, and nothing extraordinary was notable in the mirror’s reflecting.

’’Ugh, I bet it was just my imagination… I should go to bed a lot earlier I suppose…’’

John then left his bathroom, not noting the mirror was showing a different reflection once more… This time the scared girl shut the door as well, and it the same time as John… John then left his house, and he made a quick run for the Hunter’s Guild.

’’Okay, so I have to hurry… I only got three minutes or so left, but that should be a piece of cake! John Starfold, the fastest and greatest hunter of Ardaan’s Hunter’s Guild will not be bested by the old grumpy geezer Zarai!’’

Loudly chuckling John made haste and ran as fast a she could. The Hunter’s Guild was only three streets away from his house, so he should be there in time. Once he arrived his sister was already waiting for him. Her pink hair could be seen from miles away, and it was knotted in two long pony tails reaching a little over her shoulders. She had deep piercing green eyes, and she wasn’t all that tall. Her pointy ears weren’t covered by her hair, and they were easily noticed. While John looked more like their mother, who was also a human, Jennifer had most looks from their father, which happened to be a newman.

’’Congratulations John. You just set a new record. One minute and thirteen seconds left.’’
’’Oh, just shut it. Just because you’re eleven seconds older than me doesn’t mean you’re so much better than me you know…’’
’’If you were just a little bit more serious about things I wouldn’t get to scold you as often you know? Do you think I enjoy scolding you everyday?’’
’’I actually do. I bet you’re enjoying every second of it…’’
’’Well… That’s true actually…!’’
’’See? I knew it!’’
’’Oh whatever, there’s Zarai. Let’s hope we get some decent quest today!’’
’’We better do! I didn’t rush to get here just for nothing you know…!’’
’’Haha, you’re unforgivable I guess…!’’
’’Just shut it and let’s go and see Zarai…!’’

The two of them entered the building of the Hunter’s Guild, which was little more than a small lounge featuring some couches, a small heightened stage, and a counter with a single employee. In the lounge multiple hunters had gathered, and on the heightened stage an old man stood, with a very long beard and moustache. Even though his grey beard and moustache were quite long, on top of his head he was completely bald. Despite the fact the man was old, you could still clearly see the muscles he possessed, and his uniform proved him to be the Hunter’s Guild’s president. As John and Jennifer entered the lounge, Zarai began to speak with his deep, booming voice.

’’Welcome all hunters. I’m most pleased to see you all again. I am glad to say all quests have been completed with outstanding results, and only minor wounds were taken. No casualties at all, which is always good! My compliments to you all!’’

The crowd began to cheer a little, but Zarai quickly put them to a halt.

’’Silence please! You can be proud of yourselves, but a true hunter doesn’t stop at minor successes! Still greater quests await you all, and I hope you will all give it your best! So good luck to all, and your new quests await you at the reception counter. I suggest you inquire your quest quickly and meet up with your possible team members as soon as possible. Finish the quest swift, but effective. Remember that any quest can only be considered a success if you fully fulfilled the conditions the quest asked for! That is all for now!’’

Zarai left the heightened stage, and the mass of hunters moved on to the reception counter. After a while Jennifer and John also reached the reception counter, and Jennifer got her quest.

’’Oh, just great…’’
’’What’s up?’’
’’I got your quest on accident John.’’
’’Well ,what does it say…?! Anything big…?!’’
’’Well… You’re going to do research on something… Hmm… That’s odd…’’
’’W-What’s odd…?!’’
’’You’re going to investigate… An old house…?’’
’’Huh?’’

[End chapter 1]