PDA

View Full Version : Should I get PSU or FFXI?

Chimeria
Jan 4, 2009, 03:37 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I just got an XBOX 360 for Xmas and I kinda want PSU again since I can play online. The only problem is that I'm afraid that sooner or later I may get bored with it. I had PSU for Ps2 (both versions) and I have PS:P. I played through them both.

I just need some advice. I'm not asking someone to tell me if I should get it or not but why I should. What are some good things about playing online? Does online make the game any different? Are the misisons fun?

Thanks in adance>

buzyb77
Jan 4, 2009, 03:38 PM
diffrent online Yes....

Missions Fun?... that's subjective...

darkante
Jan 4, 2009, 03:43 PM
diffrent online Yes....

Missions Fun?... that's subjective...

They sure are if you donīt mindlessly spam one mission over and over. Haha

Less Uncle Scrooge thinking and more spontaneously actions!
As itīs said, variety is the spice of life!

buzyb77
Jan 4, 2009, 03:46 PM
words are in refrerence to the People already back at the white beast....

Noblewine
Jan 4, 2009, 03:48 PM
We just go some updates (Small ones) but the GBR event is in progress.

Here's some links of recent updates:
http://psupedia.info/Updates/December_2008#Update_063
http://psupedia.info/Updates/December_2008#Update_064
http://psupedia.info/Updates/December_2008#Update_062

Chimeria
Jan 4, 2009, 03:49 PM

I've been hearing that people spam missions alot...Are there story missions because the whole "choose a quest and do it" gets old after a while. Something along PSO lines where an NPC has a problem and needs you to help or something like that.

We just go some updates (Small ones) but the GBR event is in progress.

Here's some links of recent updates:
http://psupedia.info/Updates/December_2008#Update_063
http://psupedia.info/Updates/December_2008#Update_064
http://psupedia.info/Updates/December_2008#Update_062
Cool, I need to check that site out more often. One more question about the community. Is it any good? Are the other players easy to get along with? How hard does it usually take to get a decent party?

Alazar313
Jan 4, 2009, 03:55 PM
Its a decent game, especially offline Online I think its ok, Worth the 10 dollars though that depends on who you ask.

For me its worth 10 dollars every 3-6 months, for some its worth 10 dollars every month. This is why I dont play much.

The fact that the majority of the time most players spam 1 mission or if your lucky 2 does not make the game more enjoyable. Slow updates and content is also a big problem.

I think if you want to try to play a long term online game, and you don't mind a lot of repetition this game would do very nice,

Bottom line for me its a good game, worth coming back to once or twice a year if anything to see how its doing. There's plenty more enjoyable online games on PC, but for 360 I think if you don't want to devote your life to a video game then this would be a much better choice than FFXI(Which is the only other online RPG choice) in terms of online console RPG play. If you have tons of free time(AND I REALLY DO MEAN A LOT OF FREE TIME) I would recommend FFXI simply for the level of depth in that game.

Its all up to you, If you can get past the fact you will probably be doing the same mission 20 times a day, for a month or two, then Buy it and play it online. I think you may enjoy it.

Also if your lucky and find people who like variety as well then this game can be totally amazing... if people are willing to do other things that are not the new hot thing.

I have yet to find these people however, Wish ya the best.
However if you are very focused on exploration and variety I don't think this is the game for you.

darkante
Jan 4, 2009, 03:55 PM
I've been hearing that people spam missions alot...Are there story missions because the whole "choose a quest and do it" gets old after a while. Something along PSO lines where an NPC has a problem and needs you to help or something like that.

Some people have the White Beast syndrome where there only like spammed that mission for like an eternity.
And usually the mission is a choose a mission *insert to do task* which is just a lame excuse, as you just go to the end of the mission anyway.

I would like to see a different kind of mission or some with the vehicle that were in the offline parts. Just to give more depth to the missions.

But otherwise, itīs still very fun online.

Noblewine
Jan 4, 2009, 03:58 PM
The community has shrunk abit but new players are appearing. It isn't really hard to find a party unfortunately people are still going to White Beast but I think Seed Express will keep people interested for awhile. The mission pretty challenging.

DEM_CIG
Jan 4, 2009, 04:28 PM
Compared to Offline online is alot better (atleast thats what I think). The missions are alot better where you are running with a group of friends.

ashley50
Jan 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
hope you don't quit as fast as others tho >_>;

Keiry
Jan 4, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm debatting wether I should start too. I hope you don't mind me using this topic, feels stupid to create another one.

I'm more like, semi-hardcore MMORPG player, old FFXI player, played WoW up untill now, more or less a couple of hours each day (Sweden is a boring country, so that's how most of us spend our time during the weekdays!). Which means, I put a lot of effort into the games I play and I strive to max out my characters. I'm also looking for a long term game, I don't think the lack of updates would bother me way too much, I mean, PSO on GameCube I never really got bored, I played untill the end. (Sob!)

Do you guys think it's worthwhile to play, if you're a semi-hardcore MMORPG player?

Noblewine
Jan 4, 2009, 07:03 PM
Do you guys think it's worthwhile to play, if you're a semi-hardcore MMORPG player?

If you liked the game they you should try it. It's entirely up to you. The game got some updates that will keep stuff fun for awhile. Were in the middle of a GBR event and some new items were added to keep players busy.

Alazar313
Jan 4, 2009, 08:05 PM
Try it, You may like it, I don't think it costs to much money.

By the way Did you ever finish all jobs to 75 get Maat's cap and Limbus gear for everyjob?

Also Wondering if you got to see WoTG expansion and the new campaign battles they added, Its really cool almost like co-op PvP or it feels like it although its all VS NPCs. Just very enjoyable, and you can get 4k an hour doing that.

Just wondering since you said you try to max out in all games, Did you manage to Maxout in FFXI? If you did then you will probably finish this game in a very short time, considering its size compared to that of XI's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbG4OoOuQM

Here's a Video of campaign Its one of my fav things to do in FFXI, you can also get some of the best gear in the game that way, so Getting great gear is no longer 100% only for group and raids, although the BEST is. lol Is kinda a boring video though because its just a white mage

Mysterious-G
Jan 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
PSU itself is a good game, imo. But the service we get is just horrific.
I honestly have to say: If there are alternatives, go for them instead PSU. ;/

Chimeria
Jan 4, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm debatting wether I should start too. I hope you don't mind me using this topic, feels stupid to create another one.

I'm more like, semi-hardcore MMORPG player, old FFXI player, played WoW up untill now, more or less a couple of hours each day (Sweden is a boring country, so that's how most of us spend our time during the weekdays!). Which means, I put a lot of effort into the games I play and I strive to max out my characters. I'm also looking for a long term game, I don't think the lack of updates would bother me way too much, I mean, PSO on GameCube I never really got bored, I played untill the end. (Sob!)

I actually bought FFXI but I havent played it yet because i can't find a freakin' wireless xbox router. I'm torn between the two games. I've been watchin vids on Youtube and it looks fun as far as the quests and exploration. But it looks very slow-paced. I also hear that after lv. Its ALMOST impossible to solo but can be hard to find a party.

I've already played PSU for two different systems but never online. Its a lil more fun but the whole idea of doing the same mission over and over again kinda turns me off. Me and a friend of mine played the PS:P version of the game for 30 minutes together and got bored after around 7-8 missions. I know it's different but minus the ability to walk around in towns, in-game chatting, the close-up characer portrait (or whatever they're called) in-game gestures and room customization it's pretty much the same thing right?

Alazar313
Jan 4, 2009, 09:29 PM
If you got bored after 7-8 missions. This probably is not the game for you to be honest. You will need to run 1 mission many many more times than 7-8. At least Id say 70-80. If you Can get past it PSU Is a good Console online RPG.

FFXI is 90% Group based 10% solo

Whoever told you it was hard to get a group has not seen the new level sync system the put in the game. Basically a level 70 can level sync with level 30s, and get exp for his level 70-71 level, while his level is synced to level 30, so he can party with low levels at the same time.

As a Dragoon, one of the slowest party getting jobs, I usaully can find a party after 1 hour or sometimes 2 of LFG, but in this game parties tend to last 3-4 hours. FFXI is however very different from PSU, FFXI has one of the largest mmorpg worlds ever constructed.

It has over 3000 players per server, and over 25 servers.

It is also a full open world MMORPG.

It is a VERY and I mean VERY Hard core game, You will Need to have a LOT of time to play this and get some where.

It is VERY group dependent.

It is VERY hard to do something, I don't mean hard because the drop rate is low, I mean hard because the challenge is very difficult. I actually got a tear in my eye When I beat Maat, the boss for Limit brake to be able to go from lvl 70-75, Yeah you gotta do some really hard missions just to be able to level past 50, 50-55 55-60 60-65 and 70-75 In total 4 Genkai Missions.

I will give you an example,

This is a fight to be able to get Rank 6/10 for any nation, This is just Rank 6/10 and this is after you already did like Misison 1-1 1-2 2-1 2-2 2-3 3-1 3-2 4-1 4-2 4-3 5-1

You cant just attack this mob ether, It becomes immune to physical attack and then magical attack at 3 different stages of the battle, and it has 2 phases... Well just see for yourself. This is only a tinny little chunck of what FFXI is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxDUVx-L_w

buzyb77
Jan 4, 2009, 09:32 PM
I actually bought FFXI but I havent played it yet because i can't find a freakin' wireless xbox router. I'm torn between the two games. I've been watchin vids on Youtube and it looks fun as far as the quests and exploration. But it looks very slow-paced. I also hear that after lv. Its ALMOST impossible to solo but can be hard to find a party.

I've already played PSU for two different systems but never online. Its a lil more fun but the whole idea of doing the same mission over and over again kinda turns me off. Me and a friend of mine played the PS:P version of the game for 30 minutes together and got bored after around 7-8 missions. I know it's different but minus the ability to walk around in towns, in-game chatting, the close-up characer portrait (or whatever they're called) in-game gestures and room customization it's pretty much the same thing right?

FFXI is good only if you have 5 other people that will play it with you EVERYTIME YOU PLAY and do quests with you...

As after LVL 5 the game will delvl you when you die ( if your exp is that close), mobs that you can't get exp off of will kill you and they too can delvl you, fising is a paia as they changed it like 6 times while I was playing making it one doable if you get a bot program, Crafting is a REAL pain, often when you get a party you spent 1hour getting out there for someone to go afk or leave as soon as they level, FFXI.... wailt till Square-Enix Next MMo if you want to play a game by them..

Or just buy "Last Remant it is 40$ this week at Target.

http://na.square-enix.com/remnant/

Chimeria
Jan 4, 2009, 09:37 PM
If you got bored after 7-8 missions. This probably is not the game for you to be honest. You will need to run 1 mission many many more times than 7-8. At least Id say 70-80. If you Can get past it PSU Is a good Console online RPG.
Now mind you, this was after we both reached the level cap and got the weapons we spammed quests for. I found my Sange and Yasha and he found the double-saber he wanted. After that, the game got insanely easy. PAs where maxed. I grinded the hell outta my weapons. Boss battles lasted a good 5 minutes (10 tops)

But that was on the PSP version...

Alazar313
Jan 4, 2009, 10:07 PM
FFXI is good only if you have 5 other people that will play it with you EVERYTIME YOU PLAY and do quests with you...

As after LVL 5 the game will delvl you when you die ( if your exp is that close), mobs that you can't get exp off of will kill you and they too can delvl you, fising is a paia as they changed it like 6 times while I was playing making it one doable if you get a bot program, Crafting is a REAL pain, often when you get a party you spent 1hour getting out there for someone to go afk or leave as soon as they level, FFXI.... wailt till Square-Enix Next MMo if you want to play a game by them..

Or just buy "Last Remant it is 40$ this week at Target.

A small correction, Its not level 5 its more like level 20,(I have all possible subs for DRG and WHM to 37) I have solo'd all my jobs to level 20, Including White Mage a pure healer, and it was honestly not that hard, SE also made Decent Challenge mobs and Easy pray mobs give 25% more exp than they used to, So soloing in FFXI is possible to 20 with all jobs, untill level 35 with some jobs. However after 35 you will NEED to party, (Unless you dont mind very slow exp and sub Dancer (A job that heals with use of TP).

About the party He is right though, MANY times from level 1-60 this is what will happen, And even some rare times after level 60 you still have bad players.

As I said before FFXI is really not for casual players, It is all for all a Hard core players game, I have been on it for 5 years and I have not even done 10% of what the game has to offer, My gear is decent at best and I only have 2 out of 20 jobs maxed out, and only 1 has Decent gear.

This is after 5 years of work. Took a year off.

The main reasons I stay are, I love FFXI, Was my first mmo back in 2003.

The community is very mature. By far the best community maturity level of any game I have ever played. I can go 2-4 weeks without ever running into a screaming child or some one who is disrespectful in FFXI. (Most never make it past level 30 and quit).

If you are really a hard core every day kind of gamer FFXI is for you, If youre not you can still play it but you will end up like me... 5 years into it with about 9% of the content done and playing almost 4 times a week for 4 hours a day+.

If you are more casual go for PSU its still a solid game.

shadowsniper6
Jan 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
If ya go for psu on the 360 i think you said ....(bad memories sometimes) ill play with ya

San Anto
Jan 4, 2009, 11:27 PM
dont buy the last remnant its a pile of steaming shitt
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/lastremnant?q=remnant

Yusaku_Kudou
Jan 4, 2009, 11:44 PM
The Last Remnant is liked by actual gamers. Wouldn't worry about the reviews too much, personally.

As for PSU or FFXI, I play both, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help in that specific regard. However, I do prefer PSU's jump-in gameplay.

McLaughlin
Jan 4, 2009, 11:45 PM

As after LVL 5 the game will delvl you when you die ( if your exp is that close), mobs that you can't get exp off of will kill you and they too can delvl you, fising is a paia as they changed it like 6 times while I was playing making it one doable if you get a bot program, Crafting is a REAL pain, often when you get a party you spent 1hour getting out there for someone to go afk or leave as soon as they level, FFXI.... wailt till Square-Enix Next MMo if you want to play a game by them.

You must've been trying to solo as WHM. >_>

Delevelling happens rarely (don't do dangerous stuff if you don't have a buffer?), and you definitely do not need a static group to play the game.

The last couple version updates have done a lot to make the game easier, in particular levelling up.

Though, to be fair, you can't really compare FFXI to PSU. For starters, FFXI is an MMO, and PSU is not. FFXI has been out for five(?) years now and shows no signs of dieing off any time soon, whereas I'm not sure PSU will last until its fifth birthday. FFXI is a gigantic world with a zillion things to do, PSU has a few things to do, but only the most recently added content is ever made use of (because everyone is sick of running everything else).

To be blunt, I've been enjoying FFXI a lot more than PSU lately. I would suggest waiting until Square's new MMO comes out (whenever that'll be), but if you're hellbent on blowing fifteen bucks every month, I think it would be better spent on FFXI.

Alazar313
Jan 5, 2009, 01:02 AM
You must've been trying to solo as WHM. >_>

Delevelling happens rarely (don't do dangerous stuff if you don't have a buffer?), and you definitely do not need a static group to play the game.

The last couple version updates have done a lot to make the game easier, in particular levelling up.

Though, to be fair, you can't really compare FFXI to PSU. For starters, FFXI is an MMO, and PSU is not. FFXI has been out for five(?) years now and shows no signs of dieing off any time soon, whereas I'm not sure PSU will last until its fifth birthday. FFXI is a gigantic world with a zillion things to do, PSU has a few things to do, but only the most recently added content is ever made use of (because everyone is sick of running everything else).

To be blunt, I've been enjoying FFXI a lot more than PSU lately. I would suggest waiting until Square's new MMO comes out (whenever that'll be), but if you're hellbent on blowing fifteen bucks every month, I think it would be better spent on FFXI.

Nah I solo'd whm to 20 bro, its quite easy. but he maybe talking Bard I know I had a very hard time getting that to 15 soloing >.< Dunes partys I cant stand em lol...

Mystil
Jan 5, 2009, 01:29 AM
Pros and cons of FFXI - coming from a 4yr player

Pros - updates a plenty. SE doesn't do roll backs.
-They fix issues that come off and listen to reports.
-There support is outstanding.
-There is no error 65. Billing issues are serious business to them.
-Something PSU does not have: World Server Transfer.

Cons - players tend to have selfish personalities.
-It is significantly harder to make money
-Partying sucks, go solo
-Time taxing. You'll feel like you're a prisoner in the game. You can't leave parties like you want, etc.
-Gear matters in FFXI lol. Accuracy matters, att matters...
-Expensive: 12.95 + 1.00 per character.

Alazar313
Jan 5, 2009, 01:50 AM
If you decide to join FFXI Join Seraph server, I will personally teach you the ropes and power level you to 15 (when parties start to not suck as bad tho they still suck till mid 30s lol) But yeah Just look me up

Seraph Server- Character name Alazar

To find me in game you type /sea all Alazar

or /tell Alazar

Just say your the guy from the PSO-world post.

Trey
Jan 5, 2009, 02:00 AM
OR you could try to wait for
Star Wars Old republic and chack that out :D
cause That looks so cool!!! :D

darkante
Jan 5, 2009, 02:22 AM
5 years into it with about 9% of the content done and playing almost 4 times a week for 4 hours a day+.

If you are more casual go for PSU its still a solid game.

Holy shit...itīs that massive game? Glad i havenīt started trying it...XD

Alazar313
Jan 5, 2009, 02:27 AM
Holy shit...itīs that massive game? Glad i havenīt started trying it...XD

The thing I like is they dont just do it the lazy way and make drop rates very low to make you do content over and over, The content is actually a challenge, and requires strategy tactics and a solid group in some cases 18 man alliance to work together perfectly.

Check out some of my previous posts on this thread one of them has a Video of a Rank fight. Against the shadow lord

darkante
Jan 5, 2009, 02:38 AM
The thing I like is they dont just do it the lazy way and make drop rates very low to make you do content over and over, The content is actually a challenge, and requires strategy tactics and a solid group in some cases 18 man alliance to work together perfectly.

Check out some of my previous posts on this thread one of them has a Video of a Rank fight. Against the shadow lord

Yeah, it sounds like a great game.
But i donīt think i will have the time for an MMORPG at the moment.

Alazar313
Jan 5, 2009, 02:45 AM
Its cool hell 99% of gamers wouldnt have the time for this game, To be honest, I almost dropped out of high school for this game in 2004, Almost failed every class, But I quit it in 2004, got my head back in the game graduated, and am in college now. New FFXI account too. I manage to keep a 2.9-3.2 GPA Fluctuates depending on semester and classes, But that's been my Average area the past 2 years of college. I can assure you if I didn't play FFXI I could prob make 3.5 easily. It is a very immersive game.

McLaughlin
Jan 5, 2009, 02:50 AM
Valkurm Dunes suck universally.

Finae
Jan 5, 2009, 03:12 AM
haha FFXI, Oh boy, the joyous memories! You're talking to someone who played from back then when FFXI was in beta to its launch then after 3 years I left it.

I don't want to write up a essay on the game b/c you won't read it most likely (and its mostly flaming the game more than anything). They may have changed ***** from my time with FFXI when it comes to the EXP and party system, but one thing did not change........FFXI is a job! No it really is! You can believe the people who tell you its not, but in reality, it is.

Haha mature community? Matters what server you played on tbh b/c not all the servers were the same and the same thing goes with the forums (killing ifrit ftw haha). I played on Asura then Remora later on when I decided to move there on the second world shift back then and by no means was majority was mature (goes with the guilds I was in too).

Lol and the major forums for the game weren't mature either and still not lol. The community I remember were way worse than the people on segac's official forum or pos-world :P. Thats why I always say when I see fighting going on here, its nothing compared to the FFXi community. Then again, people could say whatever they wanted on these forums so it was kinda like no holds barred if you started **** or brought guild drama.

Yes and FFXI has got better over the years, but it is still a job. So ask yourself these questions.....

Do you like to solo a lot?
DO you have a lot of time on your hands?
Do you like a challenge?
Do you like constant updates to the game?
Do you want good customer service?
DO you want to have many things to do?
Do you care about graphics at all?
Do you like cool looking weapons?
Do you like customizing your toon?

If you said yes to most of this, then go FFXI I suppose since I don't think you are a PC gamer. If you are a hardcore soloer and don't like to socialize with people, PSU works for you. PSU also has the cool looking weapons and you can further customize your character anytime you want (besides the proportions). I know for a fact the only customization FFXI has is with modding (seeing I was a modder of that game back then) and thats on PC onry. And I know SE hasn't added extra things in regards to the customization of your toon area since FFXI is old gen graphics wise (blame ps2 lol).

Alazar313
Jan 5, 2009, 03:17 AM
haha FFXI, Oh boy, the joyous memories! You're talking to someone who played from back then when FFXI was in beta to its launch then after 3 years I left it.

I don't want to write up a essay on the game b/c you won't read it most likely (and its mostly flaming the game more than anything). They may have changed ***** from my time with FFXI when it comes to the EXP and party system, but one thing did not change........FFXI is a job! No it really is! You can believe the people who tell you its not, but in reality, it is.

Haha mature community? Matters what server you played on tbh b/c not all the servers were the same and the same thing goes with the forums (killing ifrit ftw haha). I played on Asura then Remora later on when I decided to move there on the second world shift back then and by no means was majority was mature (goes with the guilds I was in too).

Lol and the major forums for the game weren't mature either and still not lol. The community I remember were way worse than the people on segac's official forum or pos-world :P. Thats why I always say when I see fighting going on here, its nothing compared to the FFXi community. Then again, people could say whatever they wanted on these forums so it was kinda like no holds barred if you started **** or brought guild drama.

Yes and FFXI has got better over the years, but it is still a job. So ask yourself these questions.....

Do you like to solo a lot?
DO you have a lot of time on your hands?
Do you like a challenge?
Do you like constant updates to the game?
Do you want good customer service?
DO you want to have many things to do?
Do you care about graphics at all?
Do you like cool looking weapons?
Do you like customizing your toon?

If you said yes to most of this, then go FFXI I suppose since I don't think you are a PC gamer. If you are a hardcore soloer and don't like to socialize with people, PSU works for you. PSU also has the cool looking weapons and you can further customize your character anytime you want (besides the proportions). I know for a fact the only customization FFXI has is with modding (seeing I was a modder of that game back then) and thats on PC onry. And I know SE hasn't added extra things in regards to the customization of your toon area since FFXI is old gen graphics wise (blame ps2 lol).

The game is a job, Granted

However I can go weeks sometimes months without having anyone disrespectful rude or childish in any of my groups.(And I do party a lot, I get an Average of 5-8 levels a week on X or Y job). I agree the forums can sometimes be very immature, however for the most part the majority of the player base (at least in my server) Is very polite and respectful.

Even the JP players have no problems joining parties with non JP players, The community has changed a lot since then.

Actually I asked 2 JP players for help to kill my Sword WSNM and they helped me, I didn't even know them they Just helped me. Maybe my server just has all the good players, the fact its a low population server and the economy is amazing might help that too.

Alazar313
Jan 5, 2009, 03:30 AM
Sorry sent the message twice so just took it off on this second time.

Keiry
Jan 5, 2009, 07:16 AM
To all who was wondering: I would be playing the PC/PS2 Version.

Try it, You may like it, I don't think it costs to much money.

By the way Did you ever finish all jobs to 75 get Maat's cap and Limbus gear for everyjob?

Also Wondering if you got to see WoTG expansion and the new campaign battles they added, Its really cool almost like co-op PvP or it feels like it although its all VS NPCs. Just very enjoyable, and you can get 4k an hour doing that.

Nope, I didn't get all jobs to 75, felt it was enough after 6. But in the end, I didn't want to depend on such a large group of people. Chances are my girl friend will begin playing with me, and I wanted a game where we could actually achive something playing together, playing with more people - great, but I didn't want it to be too necessery. The FFXI journey is over for me, if this didn't work out I'd go back to WoW. The things that used to be challenging in FFXI all turned into Zerg fights, and PW/AV does not interest me the least, don't have the motivation to put up with that. So FFXI is nothing I'd return to.

Oh and most important, my girl friend is not a hardcore gamer.

MooCowPirate
Jan 5, 2009, 08:49 AM
Just like any game, you'll get bored eventually. When that happens I just cancel my subscription, set it aside for a few months, and come back to it later. That said, I would go with PSU over Final Fantasy 11. Why? I personally liked the story, and I definitely like the online mode. I tried Final Fantasy 11 for about an hour and hated it. The installing process alone didn't help sway my decision otherwise either.

Keiry
Jan 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
So well yeah, I bought it and installed it. Going to try it out for a few weeks to start with. If anyone wants to group with a low level new player, call me on Kyshiro, PC/PS2!

A question: Well, I was all alone on the first 2 planets, I remember being able to go to that nature planet with a dragon when I played some years ago, though now I was not, why!

And for a person without the expansion pack, is there any fancy good ways to level up rather quick in the beginning?

Chimeria
Jan 5, 2009, 02:28 PM
PSU also has the cool looking weapons and you can further customize your character anytime you want (besides the proportions). I know for a fact the only customization FFXI has is with modding (seeing I was a modder of that game back then) and thats on PC onry. And I know SE hasn't added extra things in regards to the customization of your toon area since FFXI is old gen graphics wise (blame ps2 lol).
That's one thing that's turning me off about FFXI. The character customization is horrible. As I've been saying, I have been watching the Youtube vids and I see the same armors and similar weapons. At least in PSU, you can choose from different colors of your armor. I'm big on standing out from others. I'm sure I may see my clone one day in PSU, but it would bother me if I saw someone who looked like me all the time in FFXI.

I may just go for PSU...I'm just mad I bought FFXI. It's hasn't been but the guy at gamestop said you can't trade it back. I may just give it to a friend of mine....

Calsetes
Jan 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I'd say sell it online or something. You can take pictures as proof that it's still sealed or something (unless it's one of those Gamestop "we opened the case to put it on display, now we sealed it with those godawful stickers that won't come off no matter what" unopened games). Or, if your friend does want it, you can either have him pay you for it or just give it to him, depending on how nice you are.

One of the things I hated about FFXI was the fact that like others mentioned, there's almost no customization. Everyone wants X class to be equipped with Y gear and set up to do Z skills or you're on your own. And, if you die (which happens often if you have anything like my luck in it), you lose 10% of your XP to the next level, which can mean the 3 hours you took to find a party to kill 3 mobs before everyone leaves after you die has actually set you back further than those 3 hours you spent trying to get the party in the first place. Also, the XP you get from mobs never goes up. Other games, the XP usually scales somewhat depending on the monster level, your level, etc. Not FFXI. It's at most, like 300-600 xp per mob, which can take like 5 minutes to kill with a party.

In PSU, you can do whatever you want. You can make just about any combination work, if you have the skill to pull it off. Want a cast mage (called techers or forces in this game)? Go ahead. You won't be as strong magically as the magical race doing it, but if you're smart about it, you can pull it off. Have trouble finding a party? Go into a mission where people are gathered and they'll join your party mid-progress.

Overall, I prefer a game like PSU that's "short playtime friendly" as opposed to something like FFXI, that almost requires you to say "I'm not doing anything today except playing FFXI for a minimum of 6 hours." PSU is more time-friendly - you have half an hour to play, that's enough to do a mission or two. You have longer, go ahead and find a party and have some fun, or do some story missions.

Dhylec
Jan 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
That's one thing that's turning me off about FFXI. The character customization is horrible. As I've been saying, I have been watching the Youtube vids and I see the same armors and similar weapons. At least in PSU, you can choose from different colors of your armor. I'm big on standing out from others. I'm sure I may see my clone one day in PSU, but it would bother me if I saw someone who looked like me all the time in FFXI.

Besides name, height & width, you can change/make-over everything else. If you happen to mess up on your first try, the Make-over shop is currently free. Use it to re-customize, re-adjust anything ya want.

Akaimizu
Jan 5, 2009, 03:15 PM
I definitely agree with many of the points made here. I actually think FFXI is a pretty good game, but you have to have the time to play it to really enjoy it. The demands on your time (per session) for that game are definitely higher than PSU. Then again, PSU is about as close to being able to play an *arcade-like* session in an online game. Exception would be a particular Gauntlet game, which I would not like to mention because the predecessor (Dark Legacy) was 10 times better than that disappointment.

Aries2384
Jan 5, 2009, 05:31 PM
It all depends on what the OP is looking for. Are they looking for an indepth MMO or a "kick-your feet up" and relax to play MMO? On PSU you can log in, pick up a party and complete a mission all within 30 minutes. On FFXI it takes the long just to get oriented let alone leave the city (or wherever you are) and START to find a party. Its a frustrating thing, FFXI, but highly worth it.

I personally play FFXI, PSU, -and- WoW. I have different needs as a gamer and I play each game when Im feeling the itch for the particulars of each. If there was more customization in FFXI, I would drop every MMO out there. I just get tired of seeing myself a million times from the distance of my mog house to the auction house. Frustrating. I've heard rumors that they are thinking about doing this but who knows.. <shrug> Personally, I think the only reason (besides the friends on PSU) that I still play PSU is because of the ability to obtain individuality. I DON'T see myself running around all over the place on PSU. Its nice.
However, if you are looking for a tactical-strategic, party dependent/team-work oriented game that has challenging demands but rewarding goals, play FFXI. It is not for the person that wants to be badass from a few short months of gameplay. If you want the easy, less rewarded road, play PSU. This isn't to say that I hate psu, I don't. I love this game. It's just becoming repeatitive after 2 years of playing.
FFXI, there's pretty much always something new to do, unless you've been playing hard for all 6 years of the game's life. Always new places to explore. I like running around in a world where I can SEE other parties (and help them or laugh at them when they get wiped depending on my mood) out in the world. Instead of oh hey, there are 50 parties doing White Beast and we don't see each other. It creates realism (in FFXI) and I like that. Not realism to the extreme but enough to say that when I achieve a Relic weapon or a lvl 75 job or a capped trade skill, the reward feels right. Instead of "oh hey, my pm popped out a 50% Agito Repca". While you did the hunting, you hardly participated in making of the weapon.

FFXI is time consuming, but that in itself is rewarding.

Chimeria
Jan 5, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hey, I just notice my topic title changed XD
And guys I've played all versions of PSU (PSU, PSU:AoI and PS:P) all the way through so I know how the game works. I was just wondering if there were any BIG differences in the online portion of the game which has pretty much been explained. I think PSU would be a better buy for me. I don't have much time to play FFXI due to college, my girlfriend and work :/

But anyway, since I pretty much know the ins and outs of the game, it shouldn't be too hard to pick it up. Plus it's cheaper. lol. Now I just gotta get a USB keyboard. I'm pretty sure it's hard to type with the controller right? (I'm getting it for 360)

Yeah, I'd say sell it online or something. You can take pictures as proof that it's still sealed or something (unless it's one of those Gamestop "we opened the case to put it on display, now we sealed it with those godawful stickers that won't come off no matter what" unopened games). Or, if your friend does want it, you can either have him pay you for it or just give it to him, depending on how nice you are.
I got it from Gamestop and the plastic was already removed but it was brand new. I know they probably won't take it back so...I don't feel like going through the trouble of selling it on Ebay so I may just give it to my friend. And of course I wouldn't charge him for it! That's my pal :)
I should be getting the game Wednesday so if all goes well I'll see some of you guys (and gals) in game. Thanks for your responses.

Atomic646
Jan 5, 2009, 07:05 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I just got an XBOX 360 for Xmas and I kinda want PSU again since I can play online. The only problem is that I'm afraid that sooner or later I may get bored with it. I had PSU for Ps2 (both versions) and I have PS:P. I played through them both.

I just need some advice. I'm not asking someone to tell me if I should get it or not but why I should. What are some good things about playing online? Does online make the game any different? Are the misisons fun?

Thanks in adance>

Yeah!!! PSU ONline is fun... but as for FFxi, Its better than psu, but kinda hard to get into if it's your first time playing it << me. Also Psu=$10.79 FFXI=12.95 +1.00 for E/Character but its up to you really

Chimeria
Jan 5, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have one more question...With the 360 version, can you play songs from your hard-drive while playing?
Oh and how long will the seaside area and Seabed areas from PSO be accessable? I saw a clip on Youtube and almost had a nerd-gasm. lol.

McLaughlin
Jan 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
Every 360 game supports custom soundtracks, and those two areas are Lobbies, so they'll always be there.

bupjo
Jan 6, 2009, 02:20 AM
ive been playing Phantasy Star Universe (360 version) since November 2006, and i really, really enjoy it. i play solo 98% of the time. no one seems to want to do other missions, i love to travel planet to planet at any given moment, and the community continues to do only one or two missions. i still enjoy the old missions as much as the new ones.
but i mean, it all depends you and if you can enjoy PSU for what it is.

havent played FFXI so cant comment.

Atomic646
Jan 6, 2009, 04:01 PM

FFXI is 90% Group based 10% solo

Whoever told you it was hard to get a group has not seen the new level sync system the put in the game. Basically a level 70 can level sync with level 30s, and get exp for his level 70-71 level, while his level is synced to level 30, so he can party with low levels at the same time.

As a Dragoon, one of the slowest party getting jobs, I usaully can find a party after 1 hour or sometimes 2 of LFG, but in this game parties tend to last 3-4 hours. FFXI is however very different from PSU, FFXI has one of the largest mmorpg worlds ever constructed.

It has over 3000 players per server, and over 25 servers.

It is also a full open world MMORPG.

It is a VERY and I mean VERY Hard core game, You will Need to have a LOT of time to play this and get some where.

It is VERY group dependent.

It is VERY hard to do something, I don't mean hard because the drop rate is low, I mean hard because the challenge is very difficult. I actually got a tear in my eye When I beat Maat, the boss for Limit brake to be able to go from lvl 70-75, Yeah you gotta do some really hard missions just to be able to level past 50, 50-55 55-60 60-65 and 70-75 In total 4 Genkai Missions.

I will give you an example,

This is a fight to be able to get Rank 6/10 for any nation, This is just Rank 6/10 and this is after you already did like Misison 1-1 1-2 2-1 2-2 2-3 3-1 3-2 4-1 4-2 4-3 5-1

You cant just attack this mob ether, It becomes immune to physical attack and then magical attack at 3 different stages of the battle, and it has 2 phases... Well just see for yourself. This is only a tinny little chunck of what FFXI is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axxDUVx-L_w

LMAO I remember doing that was pretty easy. had 2 75 blm 1 75 mnknd i think 1 75whm and 1 75 Drk and me as a 67 DRG anyways I LOVED THAT cut scene, but not as much as the drg af helmet one ^^

Atomic646
Jan 6, 2009, 04:07 PM
The game is a job, Granted

However I can go weeks sometimes months without having anyone disrespectful rude or childish in any of my groups.(And I do party a lot, I get an Average of 5-8 levels a week on X or Y job). I agree the forums can sometimes be very immature, however for the most part the majority of the player base (at least in my server) Is very polite and respectful.

Even the JP players have no problems joining parties with non JP players, The community has changed a lot since then.

Actually I asked 2 JP players for help to kill my Sword WSNM and they helped me, I didn't even know them they Just helped me. Maybe my server just has all the good players, the fact its a low population server and the economy is amazing might help that too.

Lol so true, not many people trash talked in ffxi, but one thing GREAT about that game was that people are sooooo nice(well on Asura they were) people were saints compared to psu, Yes it's a job (the reason i quit) but God what a great game. The game got even better when Level Sync came out, you could get partys more often and not sit in WhiteGate for 4hr's -_-

RemiusTA
Jan 6, 2009, 04:09 PM

In a GOOD mmo, the player doesnt have to be completely fucking bored to be introduced to variety in things to do.

Heres the issue. PSO ep.1 had 4 stages, and each stage (depending on difficulty) dropped VERY good stuff. As you progressed, the enemies got harder, and naturally the rares become potentally rarer. However, you didnt have to spam the ruins in hopes to find something good, or something that you wanted. You could progress through each stage and still feel excited about something good dropping. (in most cases.)

PSU however has a ton of missions, but the issue is that 1) 90% of them dont drop anything worth giving a shit about, and 2) everything thats rare isnt usable.

People spam white beast because on top of EXP gain, there is a plus chance of profit from finding popular S-rank items. People DONT play other missions (no matter how much fun they are) because on top of them getting shit EXP in proportion to the difficulty, they get shit chance for drops as well. Or, the rares in the mission may be good, but the chance of it dropping combined with the shit EXP they're getting combined with annoying enemies makes the mission unattractive.

Its called Opportunity Cost. All those lobbies ST keeps adding to this game arent making much difference if there is no reason to visit them vs. the one they keep spamming. Therefore (unless your just REALLY effing bored), nobody plays anything except White Beast.

I wish someone with a BRAIN was designing this game. Its just full of wasted potental.

Dragwind
Jan 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
Well, two very different games. You've done part 1 of your research by getting opinions from a PS series fansite. I would suggest heading over to FFXI fansites and asking the same question. (this is obvious, but except bias on both sides)

Aries2384
Jan 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
LMAO I remember doing that was pretty easy. had 2 75 blm 1 75 mnknd i think 1 75whm and 1 75 Drk and me as a 67 DRG anyways I LOVED THAT cut scene, but not as much as the drg af helmet one ^^

OMG. The DRG AF Helm fight SUCKED! I think SE hates DRG's so they make the AF an exceptional pain in the arse to get! But once you finish your af, you can grin in purple/blue sexiness! Now Im working on my relic gear as it is. I find the fights in FFXI to be the most challenging fights ever. Not to mention fun! I live for challenges and PSU just doesnt give em.

Alazar313
Jan 6, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah If i had to choose 1 game to play one online game to play the rest of my life I would probably choose FFXI, Because I know that I will probably not live long enough to finish everything there is to do in that game. The massive amount of content combined with the difficulty level of it makes it just that much more appealing to me.

I agree customization sucks in FFXI, but I will be 100% honest I couldn't care less about customization. This is probably why I can't see many reasons to stay playing PSU more than 30 days of the year. There's nothing really there that appeals to me.(Well I do love the maps, but after looking at them about 100 times I get sick of them too). If PC/ps2 PSU had about 1000 more active players, And the missions were set up better, to where you could find people doing about 5-8 different missions at any given time, I would like PSU a lot more, and Would probably pay non stop subscription but the way the game is now, It would probably require a entire new expansion to fix it. I really just think its quite boring and repetitive the way the game's set up. If they could find a way to add more players, and make more than 1 mission appealing I would be all over PSU.

Karazykid
Jan 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
In a GOOD mmo, the player doesnt have to be completely fucking bored to be introduced to variety in things to do.

Heres the issue. PSO ep.1 had 4 stages, and each stage (depending on difficulty) dropped VERY good stuff. As you progressed, the enemies got harder, and naturally the rares become potentally rarer. However, you didnt have to spam the ruins in hopes to find something good, or something that you wanted. You could progress through each stage and still feel excited about something good dropping. (in most cases.)

PSU however has a ton of missions, but the issue is that 1) 90% of them dont drop anything worth giving a shit about, and 2) everything thats rare isnt usable.

People spam white beast because on top of EXP gain, there is a plus chance of profit from finding popular S-rank items. People DONT play other missions (no matter how much fun they are) because on top of them getting shit EXP in proportion to the difficulty, they get shit chance for drops as well. Or, the rares in the mission may be good, but the chance of it dropping combined with the shit EXP they're getting combined with annoying enemies makes the mission unattractive.

Its called Opportunity Cost. All those lobbies ST keeps adding to this game arent making much difference if there is no reason to visit them vs. the one they keep spamming. Therefore (unless your just REALLY effing bored), nobody plays anything except White Beast.

I wish someone with a BRAIN was designing this game. Its just full of wasted potental.

Well that there depends entirely on your playstyle. If your day consists of "Me want rare shiny thing!" then sure, you'll spam the crap out of White Beast. The friends I play with, we play for fun. So we'll hit up Neudaiz or something and run through the missions, hang out in the lobbies and have fun. Then when we make a good amount of cash we pool together, hit up the playershop and buy the weapon other people are spamming WB for. We still get to have fun, AND we get teh uber lewt. And it's not like there's a contest to get your guy to a high level, the only thing you get for being higher level is harder missions to maybe find better loot. But if ya just play it chill you can get the monies to buy teh lewts without any real worries.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't spam the same mission over and over and over ad nausem. Just more fun to do some different stuff on occasion.

RemiusTA
Jan 7, 2009, 08:49 PM
Well that there depends entirely on your playstyle. If your day consists of "Me want rare shiny thing!" then sure, you'll spam the crap out of White Beast. The friends I play with, we play for fun. So we'll hit up Neudaiz or something and run through the missions, hang out in the lobbies and have fun. Then when we make a good amount of cash we pool together, hit up the playershop and buy the weapon other people are spamming WB for. We still get to have fun, AND we get teh uber lewt. And it's not like there's a contest to get your guy to a high level, the only thing you get for being higher level is harder missions to maybe find better loot. But if ya just play it chill you can get the monies to buy teh lewts without any real worries.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't spam the same mission over and over and over ad nausem. Just more fun to do some different stuff on occasion.

Well Karazykid, me and you have the same type of playstyle. The problem is, everyone doesn't play that way.

Sure, there are exceptions to this, but im talking about how to move the community. Its like ST fails at controlling its own population when it holds all the keys to absolutely everything.

nooblet
Jan 8, 2009, 01:33 AM
ffxi for the people with time to kill and psu are for casuals. dont expect to log into ffxi for an hour and expect to get make some progress unlike in psu.

i find the grind in ffxi less boring than the grind in psu. after like 2 runs of the same mission in psu repetitive sets in for me.

another good with with ffxi is the story with each expansion. its really good especially cop.

Zorafim
Jan 8, 2009, 02:18 AM
Don't get FFXI. It isn't a game, it's a way of life. If you have an hour to play, you won't get anything done in FFXI. Hell, it often takes half an hour to even get anywhere, and that's not including the time needed to gather a group together. It just isn't worth getting into, unless you have half a day every day to devote to a game.

Chimeria
Jan 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
I've been playing FFXI for a couple hours and so far...I'm not really feeling it. I know games like this require alot of time and effort but unfortunally I don't have much of that. One thing that really turned me off is the slow battle system. I hate the whole "press attack and watch me swing away at the enemy". Other than that, maybe when I get some free time, I'll get more into it....MAYBE

So PSU it is. If I can find the damn game >:(

EDIT: ok, I found a used copy on Gamestop for 17.99. I've been playing the demo version and it's pretty fun. The voice chat is really low and I've already been asked a few times if i'm M or F but its a pretty cool game. I don't know if I want a keyboard or to use the voice chat tho...

Is money always this hard to make meseta online tho? Offline I was filthy rich but now I only got 375 meseta. lol

Finalzone
Jan 10, 2009, 05:55 AM
I used to play FFXI with PLD as main characters. With real life, I have no longer time to care and spend hours developing other job because they are time consuming. One of best aspect of that game is the real time weather and condition. Since playing PSU, I like customizing my characters and action battle instead of the usual click and wait found on most MMORPG. Instead of doing common mission, I play the least popular where I work my PA and farming for quick mesetas. I agree there game has potential wasted by SEGA especially SOJ with the ridiculous split servers on both PS2/PC and Xbox360, something Square/Enix did right . There are a lot of areas that need to be explored especially on cites from each planet and the abilities to use transportation such as airboard.

Is money always this hard to make meseta online tho? Offline I was filthy rich but now I only got 375 meseta. lol

Online is fairly hard to get money. However, some mission does generate money. You can sell items you don't need.

Aries2384
Jan 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
I've been playing FFXI for a couple hours and so far...I'm not really feeling it. I know games like this require alot of time and effort but unfortunally I don't have much of that. One thing that really turned me off is the slow battle system. I hate the whole "press attack and watch me swing away at the enemy". Other than that, maybe when I get some free time, I'll get more into it....MAYBE

So PSU it is. If I can find the damn game >:(

EDIT: ok, I found a used copy on Gamestop for 17.99. I've been playing the demo version and it's pretty fun. The voice chat is really low and I've already been asked a few times if i'm M or F but its a pretty cool game. I don't know if I want a keyboard or to use the voice chat tho...

The first 25 lvls or so in FFXI are slow battle wise. At that point, you get fun parties with many skills and abilities. Plus there is Skill chains and magic bursts and other stuff. The fighting does get to be more involving. You just don't have much to work with at a lower lvl. I find the 9 times out of 10, when someone gets defeated by FFXI, its in the early lvls of the game. Its a VERY hard game to get into when you don't know anyone. Its definitely NOT casual.

Syndrome
Jan 10, 2009, 02:49 PM
FFXI is definately cheaper to buy considering you can get the game and all four expansions for like $20 but, if you get it be prepared to update for hours and hours...

furrypaws
Jan 10, 2009, 03:50 PM
FFXI is definately cheaper to buy considering you can get the game and all four expansions for like $20 but, if you get it be prepared to update for hours and hours...

I haven't seen a retail store that sold PSU: AoI for more than $20. Quite a few stores around where I live still sell a copy or two, too.

EDIT: My mistake, you're on XBOX 360. Still, I've found copies of PSU original for $20, so it won't be more than $30 expansion and all. So, price really isn't a matter here.

Aries2384
Jan 10, 2009, 05:22 PM

This is true.. the downloading of updates is PAINFUL. It takes forever.

Syndrome
Jan 10, 2009, 07:46 PM
Another thing that seems to be a problem with FFXI is I hear that once you hit level fifty or so you have to do special quests and find special items to even be able to level up your class. When I played I got my warrior to level 30 and my Dragoon to level 10 or so, and that about killed me...Took FOOOORRREEEVVVEERR... I can only imagine Square not letting you level at all unless you find items that are scattered all over the game... There are some aspects of the game that I do like though, like riding a Chocobo and being apart of a Linkshell, especially if the people in your LS are cool and don't mind helping you.

Aries2384
Jan 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
Another thing that seems to be a problem with FFXI is I hear that once you hit level fifty or so you have to do special quests and find special items to even be able to level up your class. When I played I got my warrior to level 30 and my Dragoon to level 10 or so, and that about killed me...Took FOOOORRREEEVVVEERR... I can only imagine Square not letting you level at all unless you find items that are scattered all over the game... There are some aspects of the game that I do like though, like getting a Chocobo license and being apart of a Linkshell, especially if the people in your LS are cool and don't mind helping you.

The lvls cap at 55, 60, 65, 70 and 75. At each of these intervals you have to do a genkai or limit break quest to continue lvling. They are another unique aspect of the game. I enjoy those.. BUT you only have to do them once per a character even if you switch to another job and lvl that one up too. Lvling takes forever because its not PSU and you can't lvl from 1 to 50 in a day. Its actually a indepth game as opposed to the casual play style of PSU. Leveling wasnt always that easy in PSU, if you played pre-Seabed days it actually took awhile to lvl. But people kept bitching that "Psu is to hard and it takes too long to do anything! wah wah wah!" and so, SEGA, catering to the whiny brats rather than the more mature crowd, made the game retardedly easy to lvl in.

The limit break quests in FFXI are a rite of passage. Get some other people to help you or some high lvl buddies and they aren't bad. Some of the item drop rates can be horrid but in general the quests are fun.

Akaimizu
Jan 10, 2009, 08:12 PM
Well, it's getting the people and a good bit of luck. Drops in FFXI for special quests can be brutal. I remember spending over two weeks extra of constant night play in the game, past when most of my friends got it, just trying to get that Crystal Skull even back during the time I was going for my dual class. There was really nothing I could do, linkshells and the whole thing wasn't helping. I just wasn't lucky enough to be able to get it earlier than that. Limit quests can be worse than that.

So for me, it can be a bit fustrating when all sort of time invested and you get no progress at all for that time. On the other hand, it's good, but my life just isn't compatible with that game. Unlike what *some* people will tell you, not everybody has time for FFXI.

Karazykid
Jan 10, 2009, 08:42 PM
Nah, it's not hard to make money online at all. The demo is REALLY gimped. Just doing the first mission the demo mobs drop like 10 meseta in demo, they drop about 250 online. And once you get into better missions you usually come out with about 60k per run, then ya sell stuff in the player shop.

Arika
Jan 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
Depend on your play time, PSU is more suitable for those who "might" play caseually later. While in FFXI you need your whole life time.

Dhylec
Jan 10, 2009, 11:56 PM
Not to stop everyone from discussing, but this topic is getting obsolete. The OP already started PSU on 360. (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=156834)

Melissa805
Jan 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
Well you are asking this on a pro psu site which for the most part isnt a good idea. I have played ffxi sence the us release 6 years ago and psu Ive had sence its release. I like psu because its simple and you dont have to get hardcore into the game to play it. Which makes it fun and not so stressfull and its nice if your realy busy all the time. Although other then that sad to say to be honest ffxi beats it in everyway most the people I know went from psu>>ffxi. FFXI is really a amaizing game and it is constantly getting expansion sized updates and it has 4 expansions out. In the 6 years ive been playen it I have barly scratched the surfice of the game. I like how there are so many diffrent jobs to choose from and they are all diffrent and have their own ways of playen which is diffrent from psu because almost all the jobs are pritty close to being the same and not many options. I also like how there is a story line you play through on ffxi with people. Also it is so huge there are always new area's to see I havent even started the new expansion and we already have word of a nother one coming out. So thats a nice diffrence too considering on psu all you really do is do the same mission over and over.
On the base of armors and weapons between games. On psu there is a very small selection of weapons and armors as it is. The ammount of armors and weapons on ffxi on the other hand seems limitless. While every armor and weapon for the most part looks completely diffrent while on psu oviously all armors dont have a look. Which is where clothes come into play a little and all weapons for the most part exept a few S ranks look the same. What I have to say psu did the worst on this part is that they didnt make the requirements for weapons high enough. By like lvl 40 your already grabing for the best S ranks and skipping all the weapons in between atleast I know I was leaving you selection even smaller now.
On top of this ffxi never has and never will raise the level cap they only release new classes and never will raise the level cap. All psu dose is raise the level cap to keep you playen and chasing it forever and same gose for the photon arts levels and everything else but these new levels dont mean new abilitys or weapons or anything of that sort so it is almost completely worthless other then doing like 20 more dammage on hits
Also ive had this game sence the first day it came out in the us I was sitting at the store waiting for the shipment. I remember watching as because of phantasy star online everyone wanted this game expecting it to be like it so it was huge and the servers were all packed. But then the company was lazy and didnt release anything and so the only mission was basicly the de ragen mission and the one before on C and B so we sat around for months with only this one mission todo and no S ranks or diffrent in weapons. Then gears of war 1 and halo 3 came out and I watched as the game died it went from 10 servers full to maybe 1 and a half if were lucky on weekends.
Even that AOI expansion that they released for psu was a joke of an expansion that isnt a expansion compared to ffxi its a gimped update with the WORD expansion on it. Which they probily just used to try and get a few people back.

The Moral of this story is FFXI >>> PSU
This is my personal opinions so dont hold it against me also I can keep going on but I doubt you will even read this

Chimeria
Jan 18, 2009, 10:43 AM
I actually did read your post as well as your other one in the "Most annoying things in PSU" Melissa and to me it just sounds like you just have grown not to like PSU much. What version of the game are you playing as I hear the PS2/PC versions have the worst players. As for me I haven't run into any problems with another player and if I have it was just a small annoyance and in that case, I just left the party and went on about my business. You knida have to search out the "good players." I've met quite a few in the 2-weeks I've been playing.

As for FFXI. I actually did buy the game before I bought PSU. But after readng so much about it and then actually playing the game, I decided it's just not for me. Too many menus. It's way too slow for my liking. Usually I would like games with a huge world to explore but in this game, it's just not fun to me. The armors don't look that much different either do the weapons. And customization is pretty much obsolete with the very little options they give. Now I uderstand that I didnt play it for that long BUT a game draws the player in when they are quickly engaged into it. If you're a player who just wants to bite into the core gameplay, you'll be waiting a while unless you know people who can help you level. I don't have the time for that...

Besides that, the monthly fee is just waaaay too much for an almost 7 year old game. This is just my opinion. And asking a PSU community wasn't a bad idea because many of the players that responded actually perfered FFXI over PSU.

XxAntMan215xX
Jan 18, 2009, 12:59 PM
Just buy both of them and when psu gets boring go play ffxi till you hear of updates,but since your starting new on psu you shouldnt get bored but the mass spam of white beast my bore you.i also play ffxi occasianlly i find it much more comlicated than psu i dont like to let things go so im playing that game till i get the hang of it all in all its up to you and as far as pc/ps2 having worst players i think not xbox wins that hands down back in the day you could find people scattered all over on pc and people dont bash on you for not living up to their standards on the game which you pay 10$ for.

McLaughlin
Jan 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
Besides that, the monthly fee is just waaaay too much for an almost 7 year old game. This is just my opinion. And asking a PSU community wasn't a bad idea because many of the players that responded actually perfered FFXI over PSU.

Well, I would argue that the fee of PSU is in no way proportional to the level of service we get for our money. Not to mention that each one of FFXI's 20+ servers has a population greater than the entire NA/EU PSU playerbase. :/

XxAntMan215xX
Jan 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
This kinda off topic but i like your sig obsidian.

Melissa805
Jan 18, 2009, 09:16 PM
I actually did read your post as well as your other one in the "Most annoying things in PSU" Melissa and to me it just sounds like you just have grown not to like PSU much. What version of the game are you playing as I hear the PS2/PC versions have the worst players. As for me I haven't run into any problems with another player and if I have it was just a small annoyance and in that case, I just left the party and went on about my business. You knida have to search out the "good players." I've met quite a few in the 2-weeks I've been playing.

As for FFXI. I actually did buy the game before I bought PSU. But after readng so much about it and then actually playing the game, I decided it's just not for me. Too many menus. It's way too slow for my liking. Usually I would like games with a huge world to explore but in this game, it's just not fun to me. The armors don't look that much different either do the weapons. And customization is pretty much obsolete with the very little options they give. Now I uderstand that I didnt play it for that long BUT a game draws the player in when they are quickly engaged into it. If you're a player who just wants to bite into the core gameplay, you'll be waiting a while unless you know people who can help you level. I don't have the time for that...

I am sure you are right the game is definatly not for everyone but I am sure the hole combination thing is just because you didnt get far in the game because a lvl like 10 armor is just going to have its def and no other stats but once you get farther in I got like body armors alone that do + STR DEX AGI INT MND CHR and basicly every stat for example on my dnc I have these 2 body armors I actully use 6 but this is just a quick example
Alright I am going to heal so I put on my job specific armor to get +10% healing power on my dance then I switch to my job specific armor +2 to dammage which has +12 attack +10 accuracy and much more but the body also enhances my violent flourish ability which not only dose dammage to an enemy but it also stuns it stoping its attack for a ammount of time. And every piece of my armors dose somthing diffrent in this way. Also I could give examples of diffrent looking armors easy but Id just be rambling on with even more stuff.
But like I said FFXI is a mmo you actully have to work at it. It is not just a game to most people it is a life. it is so large people turn their game characters into an actual representive of themselfs and work to improve it over years of time.
I know me myself Ive been playen both psu sence release and Ive been playen ffxi sence us release 6 years ago. I love them both they both have their great things like I said
On ffxi you can work hard and have somthing to show for it.
On PSU you can get on for a day and have some quick simple fun.

Melissa805
Jan 18, 2009, 09:21 PM
Well, I would argue that the fee of PSU is in no way proportional to the level of service we get for our money. Not to mention that each one of FFXI's 20+ servers has a population greater than the entire NA/EU PSU playerbase. :/

Both these things you mention are great facts. Lets be honest compared to the release of psu It is officialy dead and if they dont do somthing quick it wont be around much longer. On psu you do a mission and fight with 6 people. On final fantasy 11 you go into a mission like dynamis and fight with about 80 people easy or besieged which is about 700 at once and they are easy to gather so it works out well in both cases.
People think for the monthly fee o no not that! But I am saving more money by playen psu then I am as most gamers. Because lets do the math 10$ a month thats 6 months based to 1 game and your playen the same game so your not starting over which is always a +. But the real question for monthly fee is how often do you buy a new game basicly to make it where the monthly cost for ffxi might actualy hurt you is if your buyen a new game every 7+ months and that ushaly isnt the case.

Finalzone
Jan 22, 2009, 03:07 AM
". On final fantasy 11 you go into a mission like dynamis and fight with about 80 people easy or besieged which is about 700 at once and they are easy to gather so it works out well in both cases."

One has to consider the game mechanics. FFXI is just click and let characters auto-attack while PSU is more actions input that encourage mobility in the attack. 80 people online while battling will not work because of massive lag that will cause on people with slow network and lower PC spec /PS2.

Silvx
Jan 22, 2009, 03:58 AM
Even in full Dynamis' (64 people) on PS2 I never experience anything that really messes me up, Just filter effects etc. And nowadays people don't really do max # Dynamis (on Valefor atleast) mostly about 30ppl or so.

I can't preach for Besieged, I hate it lolol.

FFXI and PSU are both fun games, Im' personally starting up PSU as a break from FF. 4 and a half years deserves a break ^^; FF definetly tops PSU Story wise imo though, and the group mechanics. Can't do everything solo. which works with you, and against you <.<;

Cherrycoke
Jan 22, 2009, 12:06 PM
Problem with FFXI is that its too time consuming. To play it 'endgame' you need to play just about everyday for eight hours or more. And, you can't choose when you want to play or play for short periods of time because of things like sceduled limbus, dynamis, salvage and hnm pops. I had a playlog of 280 days on FFXI before I got bored of it, but it was very difficult to play in harmony with other aspects of my life.

PSU, by comparison, has fairly poor longevity for an MMO, I think the only people who stick with it are the kinda people (like me) who just love it because its PSO/U. But on the plus side it doesnt demand much from the player.

Nevertheless, i'm surprised more people don't play PSU since most people I have met irl that played FFXI quit it after a few days because it was too demanding. I'm not sure whether people don't play PSU because its too simple or because it has no endgame activities like MMOs such as WOW or FFXI. Having said that, those two aspects to PSU are qualities at the same time as weaknesses.